Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, I just need to check whether the thread getting goldmined broke the links to older posts. Other then that I should be able to pick it up and get moving again. Gonna start talking about the Shanghai Foreign Arms Corp and the start of western intervention against the Taiping.

I am already looking forward to what the Chinese in both factions felt about a certain British christan suicidal general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do one of the Leningrad Tigers A.K.A. the first ones that saw combat and where one was captured by the Russians because it bogged in swampy terrain.

Doesn't look that great on a shelf, but whatever floats your boat.

spectralent posted:

KV-2 is so cute.

It was also the tank that stopped a german column on it's lonesome near Raisenai, though I think I remember on EE's blog that the original source doesn't mention if it's a KV-1 or KV-2 so maybe that's wrong.

It's 100% for sure a KV-1, but it had an extra guy along for the ride, so everyone thinks it was a KV-2.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've seen a few references to tank destroyers. Did I miss some sort of tank vs. tank destroyer pissing contest in the last thread?

"Tank destroyers vs. towed guns vs. just give every Sherman a 76 mm gun" is as common and uncreative topic as "hey have you guys heard about that bear" and "Gay Black Hitler"

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 2, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The only acceptable answer is stuffing the Sherman turret full of high velocity 122mm.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's 100% for sure a KV-1, but it had an extra guy along for the ride, so everyone thinks it was a KV-2.

Ah, I can see where that'd be confusing.

any idea why the extra dude was there? Just some straggler?

quote:

"Tank destroyers vs. towed guns vs. just give every Sherman a 76 mm gun" is as common and uncreative topic as "hey have you guys heard about that bear" and "Gay Black Hitler"

I don't want to restart The Wars but is there a link to when this discussion was happening? It's a topic I did hit on a few months ago and wanted some opinions on but didn't want to poke the nest :shobon:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2. Not relying on the Gembloux Gap defenses. The original battle plan was to retreat basically to the French-Belgian frontier; this was politically untenable as well but possibly decisive.

Thanks for the in depth summary. The above is what I did in HOI, managed to hold the line until the yanks showed up.

Would it be fair to say that the invasion of France, and Russia for that matter, depended heavily on the defenders making a poo poo ton of mistakes, large and small? I just get the impression that gay black Hitler is really facing an uphill fight just to reproduce Germany's historical performance, let alone do that and also add that one weird trick wehraboos think would win the war.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Would it be fair to say that the invasion of France, and Russia for that matter, depended heavily on the defenders making a poo poo ton of mistakes, large and small? I just get the impression that gay black Hitler is really facing an uphill fight just to reproduce Germany's historical performance, let alone do that and also add that one weird trick wehraboos think would win the war.

Basically yeah.

Though to be fair, most wars are fought the same way. It's just that industrial wars give you a lot of leeway in terms of how long you can gently caress up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

P-Mack posted:

Thanks for the in depth summary. The above is what I did in HOI, managed to hold the line until the yanks showed up.

Enormously, yep!

I remember a lengthy article somewhere about how if the western allies had just invaded Germany during the funny war they'd have probably blown right through them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spectralent posted:

I remember a lengthy article somewhere about how if the western allies had just invaded Germany during the funny war they'd have probably blown right through them.

Wouldn't the German counterpart to the Maginot line (I forgot the name) get in the way of "blowing right through them"?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

spectralent posted:

I don't want to restart The Wars but is there a link to when this discussion was happening? It's a topic I did hit on a few months ago and wanted some opinions on but didn't want to poke the nest :shobon:

Jeez, I don't even know which thread involved TD chat. I think it was the first thread, but beyond that I have no idea who was even involved. TD chat was more than just a10-page discussion, it would resurface by other means every so often and ignite another round of arguments. I think I remember that one bout of TD chat that involved several posters who weren't even a part of the first argument. And one guy was a staunch TD doctrine defender, and would almost always show up no matter what.

Essentially, TDchat is the thread's 30YW, except it's potentially not over because you started it again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

spectralent posted:

The Original Tank Destroyer conversation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297799&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=45

Now let us never speak of it again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks for the effort post on the French defense, Kyoon. I have a follow up question though:

It sounds like one of the things that went wrong was that the French didn't reach their defense line in time to prepare the...defense. Since they were the defending faction, is there a reason they couldn't have just had their defenses prepared before the war started? Why did they wait until Germany was already attacking to start moving up to their planned defensive line?

There's probably something very obvious I'm overlooking (perhaps you even mentioned it in your post, I am on a phone and very sleepy) but that stuck out as odd to me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

xthetenth posted:

The only acceptable answer is stuffing the Sherman turret full of high velocity 122mm.

Yugoslavia to the rescue.

spectralent posted:

Very likely. The situation in late July was extremely chaotic, so a junior commander trying to get a lift to where he was supposed to be wouldn't be uncommon.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks for the effort post on the French defense, Kyoon. I have a follow up question though:

It sounds like one of the things that went wrong was that the French didn't reach their defense line in time to prepare the...defense. Since they were the defending faction, is there a reason they couldn't have just had their defenses prepared before the war started? Why did they wait until Germany was already attacking to start moving up to their planned defensive line?

There's probably something very obvious I'm overlooking (perhaps you even mentioned it in your post, I am on a phone and very sleepy) but that stuck out as odd to me.

Their defense line wasn't inside their borders. They'd done the fighting a war in their borders thing, it loving sucked and they really didn't want a repeat.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

my dad posted:

Wouldn't the German counterpart to the Maginot line (I forgot the name) get in the way of "blowing right through them"?

The Siegfried Line was not finished, Germany didn't really have the manpower to defend it properly in 1939 (while invading Poland) and the fortifications lacked arms. It was a paper tiger.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yvonmukluk posted:

Still he does at least admit the T-34-85 also deserves to be called the best medium tank of WW2. Even if it should share the crown with the Easy Eight and not the Panther.

The problem is that "Best X of WWII" often falls flat or has some individual bias that tarnishes the argument. Do you look at the potential a design had? Do you look at the various strengths and weakness and, if so, which variant(s) do you compare? Do you examine combat reports where only tanks fought eachother, or do you allow air-to-ground reports or combined arms actions?

There's no denying the T-34 is a good/great (Choose one) tank but "Best of X" always bugs me.

Admittedly, I'm weird and a grog so :shrug:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh, what is happening to the on going stuff still being worked on like the Taiping/Polish Soviet War and a few other mega post projects goons in the last thread were doing? they going to keep going and repost the older stuff when they are done?

I have extracted whatever posts of mine from the old thread I think had value and put them in a Google Doc for easy access. I've even edited some of them.

As for continuing the series: I want to. But first, I started to write my MA thesis. This took up a lot of my free time (and also meant I was around the university a lot less often). A month or so ago I have finished it (available, in English, here, if you are curious ) and successfully defended it, which means I am no longer a student and thus cannot check out books from the University library, and there simply are no other good libraries anywhere near (aside from the National Library, which does not allow checkouts either). This means that the only way for me to continue working with a similar level of detail to what I did before would be to work directly within the Library, which is almost an hour's drive away, and I am gainfully employed now, which makes this quite impracticable.

But I want to finish what I started and I will certainly aim to do so, once I figure out a solution.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Their defense line wasn't inside their borders. They'd done the fighting a war in their borders thing, it loving sucked and they really didn't want a repeat.

Alright yeah that's what I'm missing. For some reason I thought France and Belgium/Netherlands were allies before the war but Google tells me they didn't join until Germany attacked. There it is then, RIP

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tevery Best posted:

I have extracted whatever posts of mine from the old thread I think had value and put them in a Google Doc for easy access. I've even edited some of them.

As for continuing the series: I want to. But first, I started to write my MA thesis. This took up a lot of my free time (and also meant I was around the university a lot less often). A month or so ago I have finished it (available, in English, here, if you are curious ) and successfully defended it, which means I am no longer a student and thus cannot check out books from the University library, and there simply are no other good libraries anywhere near (aside from the National Library, which does not allow checkouts either). This means that the only way for me to continue working with a similar level of detail to what I did before would be to work directly within the Library, which is almost an hour's drive away, and I am gainfully employed now, which makes this quite impracticable.

But I want to finish what I started and I will certainly aim to do so, once I figure out a solution.

I can't believe you put finshing grad school and getting a job ahead of internet posting

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tevery Best posted:

quote:

"However, videos can only be linked to – the moderation

has stated several times that the added weight would be impossible for the servers to carry – but any

such hyperlinks are immediately tagged with a little graphic to differentiate them from other kinds

of links."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fangz posted:

The Original Tank Destroyer conversation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297799&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=45

Now let us never speak of it again

I could only make it a few pages. So Bad.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Cyrano4747 posted:

:laffo:

Also I saw constitution sale in the late 90s after her restoration. It was loving amazing.

When I was younger I had the privilege of being aboard when they took her out for a turnaround cruise (not under sail :/) because my dad's pipe band played. A crew member was a cool bro and gave me one of the 40mm casings from the gun salute to Fort Independence (and if I recall correctly might have gotten some poo poo for it after). It's a hell of a ship.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's really interesting, reading the link, how back in 2011 the thread was full of death-traps, every german tank is a tiger style wisdom.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

StashAugustine posted:

I can't believe you put finshing grad school and getting a job ahead of internet posting

I can't believe it either.

Whoa, does anyone actually use that? In all my years, I have seen no evidence of it even existing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tevery Best posted:

Whoa, does anyone actually use that? In all my years, I have seen no evidence of it even existing.

Yup. In D&D, videos are often posted with no explanation, the expectation being that the title of the video and the preview image will give other posters enough context to decide whether to watch them or not. Also, videos with :nws: and :nms: content are not only marked with those tags but carefully linked in a way that doesn't embed the video in the post. (or not in which case mods happen)

That having been said, I found out about the feature the same way you did - I said something that showed my ignorance about its existence, and someone pointed it out to me.

Also, seeing as you've used that thread as an example, you should join us on Starship Awful. We could always use more crew. :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
hello military history thread, what's a good & comprehensive book about the thirty years war I can read at work? the breadth of options is intimidating.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

hello military history thread, what's a good & comprehensive book about the thirty years war I can read at work? the breadth of options is intimidating.

Wilson is the go to but its really big and thick and poorly suited for travel. If you don't mind it being older scholarship, Wedgwood is wonderfully written and a good place to start.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
warning:their names all sound alike and there's some dude named gundaker von liechtenstein, who was not making that up

pretty important but also, probably, an rear end in a top hat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundakar,_Prince_of_Liechtenstein

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yugoslavia to the rescue.

Needs more barrels.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Can someone explain what was so special about that extra millimeter between the 76mm and 75mm?

I mean I get it upped the penetrating power but was there a muzzle velocity change as well or something? Otherwise I don't see how a single mm makes a difference.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

P-Mack posted:

Wilson is the go to but its really big and thick and poorly suited for travel. If you don't mind it being older scholarship, Wedgwood is wonderfully written and a good place to start.

i will probably be reading it electronically, all 1000 pages (:captainpop:) of it. this will keep me busy for a long time, thank you. is there more than one edition? i can't tell from amazon.

e: eugh apparently the ebook version has been gutted. that sucks.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 2, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

pthighs posted:

Can someone explain what was so special about that extra millimeter between the 76mm and 75mm?

I mean I get it upped the penetrating power but was there a muzzle velocity change as well or something? Otherwise I don't see how a single mm makes a difference.

The 75 mm gun was rather short-barrelled compared to the 76, 31 calibers as opposed to 55-. The 76 mm also had a lot heavier round, so muzzle velocity was increased a lot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAL posted:

let's hope this doesn't become another Hitler's diaries thing

sure they'll be more stern this time!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

pthighs posted:

Yeah, the major change wasn't actually the calibre but the fact the gun was way longer. The panther's gun was 75mm but it had a barrel length almost twice that of the 76mm sherman, with accordingly higher speed rounds, and consequently higher KE.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nenonen posted:

sure they'll be more stern this time!

Shots fired.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

pthighs posted:

The biggest difference was the 76mm had a much larger casing, which meant it could carry more powder, which meant much higher muzzle velocity. The barrel length helped but you still needed more boom to get a significant upgrade in penetration.

I think these are the right rounds...the 75x350 is on the far right, the 76mm is next to it. Note how much more brass there is.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tevery Best posted:

goatse mentioned, a+

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

E: let people who actually know what they're talking about answer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Even similar-sized guns in terms of calibre can be vastly different, just look at the 7.62x54R vs 7.62x39. One's a rifle cartridge, the other for assault rifles.

Even the mighty German 88mm gun had multiple variations that used different rounds entirely. You've got the 88x571mm round in the first iteration, which was then upped to a whopping 88x855mm.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

If the question was "Did the extra millimetre matter", then not really, no; there's no reason a longer 75mm with higher-powered ammo wouldn't behave basically the same. The fact they were different guns did matter, though, since you couldn't just make the existing 75mm longer.

Following on from my earlier soviet T-34, I know very little about the soviet polish army, Berling's army; anyone got any good material on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Taerkar posted:

I could only make it a few pages. So Bad.

The worst part is that EvanSchenck nails it in their first post.