Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
hello military history thread, what's a good & comprehensive book about the thirty years war I can read at work? the breadth of options is intimidating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

P-Mack posted:

Wilson is the go to but its really big and thick and poorly suited for travel. If you don't mind it being older scholarship, Wedgwood is wonderfully written and a good place to start.

i will probably be reading it electronically, all 1000 pages (:captainpop:) of it. this will keep me busy for a long time, thank you. is there more than one edition? i can't tell from amazon.

e: eugh apparently the ebook version has been gutted. that sucks.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 2, 2016

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

HEY GAL posted:

it's a stereotype. these guys played to kill.

is there a good book to read about these mercenary armies? and also about italian city state politics during that period?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

http://www.deremilitari.org/REVIEWS/Mallett_MercenariesMasters.htm
Though Mallett repeats some of the stupid myths of medieval armies being unprofessional and lacking a "science of war", this book is very good overall.

it will make for some fine reading at work, thank you :coffee: