Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Get a mod in here and goldmine the old thread for crissake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

what's wrong with our bloody little resin dudes today

quote:

grey hunter

Seems like you already answered your own question! I kid I kid

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nenonen posted:

sure they'll be more stern this time!

Shots fired.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
And then with the soviets during the late cold war it's five battalions to a regiment, and four regiments to a division! Oh but they're weak battalions, like 30 tanks each, so good luck counting one for one!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

xthetenth posted:

See also the pentonic (spelling) divisions the US tried in the cold war with 5 elements plus support units. Didn't work well.

Yeah, pentomic as part of the ROCID program IIRC. British 'battlegroups' didn't work out very well in the 70 eithers for pretty much the same reasons.

I wonder what the 1980s Soviet experience with Unified Corps was. Five or so heavy Brigades with a ton of stuff attached, and I think they were meant to wholly replace their Regiment/Divisional structure.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
original poseur

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Why is the "realness" of the gun relevant? At no point did the British cruiser designs have a gun that wasn't as close to the best AT gun available in that day, with the possible exception of the Cromwell's 75mm. Note that I am not saying that German designers came out of the MBT-70 program saying "what we need is a fuckton of Cruiser tanks like the British wasted time on" but there was definitely a similar element of assumption at work that drastic compromises needed to be made, with the result that it went fast, had a big gun and very little armour except on the front. As it turns out, both schools of thought were wrong and you can armour against the threats of the day without sacrificing mobility or striking power, with the bonus utility of the tank being usable as a drying rack too.

German designers came out of MBT-70 thinking "we need to make Leopard II", with the biggest bestest gun+ammo in the west.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Bagration Bagration Bagration

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Were Russia and France the only states that came out well from that war?

How about them United Provinces.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

the biggest losers of the war. still full of dutch people even today.

:drat:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Xerxes17 posted:

Thread title suggestion: "Ask us about Military History: Operation Just Post".

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

Toward the end, battleships were a lot like modern tanks -- purpose-built to fight each other, and any other uses were incidental.

I'd pose that there's way more to fighting with modern tanks than matching them up symmetrically.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ballistic Missile Defense; Destroyer, Guided Missile.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The W. Germans were intending to keep strong tank reserves in the back to defend against those kinds of operations (a couple of tanks divisions at least) but up until the early 80s there were no plans (in northern Germany at least) for any larger scale, multinational counterstrokes. NATO was p much strung out and banking on deterrence first and nuclear warfighting as a distant second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's also the problem that stuff like AirLand battle means different things to different people: it's a procurement program, a strategy, a doctrine, tactics, etc. all at at the same time.

Important parts of it like deep fires through Assault Breaker and various sensor solutions never got adopted IIRC.