Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014
*sweats nervously* im uhhh im def not winvirus i swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I'll tell you this. It took me 8 minutes.

I gave Poque a slightly easier version earlier today and it took him about 4 minutes.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Asiina posted:

I gave Poque a slightly easier version earlier today and it took him about 4 minutes.

Well yes but Poque is a puzzle-solving robot that was sent here from another planet to win challenges, you can't use him as a metric.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Exactly, so I assume you guys will take about double my time (cause I do these kinds of puzzles all the time and am used to them) or 4 times Poque's time because he is actually just a sentient puzzle disguised as a human.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm going to go for 3min30sec

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm going to go for 3min30sec

I will defeat you in the field of battle, my sword drawn high as I slaughter the poor puzzle fools before me.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I will take a nap

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks RNG!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Meinberg posted:

I will defeat you in the field of battle, my sword drawn high as I slaughter the poor puzzle fools before me.

Fine just make sure to Veto me out

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Fine just make sure to Veto me out

We shall see!!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the Power of Veto competition. This competition is called Bridges and Islands

The puzzle contains a series of islands where the number in each island tells you how many bridges connect to it (no more, no less). The object is to connect ALL islands together under the following conditions.

1) There are no more than two bridges connecting any two islands.

2) Bridges can only be vertical or horizontal.

3) Bridges cannot cross islands or other bridges

4) When completed all islands are interconnected such that you could walk from any island to any other island

Here is a completed example:

There is only one correct solution. First person to post their correct solution in the thread wins the veto. You can post multiple attempts if you want, but I'll only be able to check so fast to get back to you, so better to be sure that you are right the first time.

I'll give you 5 minutes to familiarize yourself with the rules before I post the challenge puzzle. Use this time to think of strategies, since there are a number of logical shortcuts that will help you solve it faster.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Bridges!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

With my wisdom and intellect surely I will triumph here without problem! Surely my relatively poor spatial intelligence will not fail me!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

do the numbers matter?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Yikes well good luck all!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

do the numbers matter?

The numbers are how many bridges connect to each island.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

Oh geez I was going to ignore the numbers, glad you said this.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

curiousCat posted:

Correct.

Also any other houseguests not in the challenge or viewers, be sure not to post your solutions until the people competing are done.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
lol gently caress my computer literally just crashed

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Here is the challenge puzzle:

Good luck all!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

This is hard

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

uggggggggh

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

This is hard

I believe in you!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought i was making a lot of headhtrough and progress and then realized i was working on the example puzzle.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

curiousCat wins the Power of Veto!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Confession: I love these dumb bridge puzzles

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Well done Cat! The first player so far to win both HoH and PoV!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

curiousCat posted:

Confession: I love these dumb bridge puzzles

:same:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this is what i had

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Damnit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JOHN CENA posted:

i thought i was making a lot of headhtrough and progress and then realized i was working on the example puzzle.

JOHN CENA posted:

this is what i had

lol

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
CuriousCat, since you are HOH and the Veto holder, you can hold the veto meeting whenever you want between now and midnight tomorrow.

Eviction will still be on Sunday, starting around 6:30PM with the next HOH challenge at 7PM. More details about that in a few days.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I started on the left side and realized like 5 minutes in that there was an 8 and I shouldve started there. I botched the upper right corner and couldn't recover.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Time passes, and many are left by the wayside. A handful now, but soon to be a tidal wave of memories and the fallen. But there is no other way forward, no other way to grease the wheels of time and fate.

Now is a time for storymaking, for the fashioning of narrative and the formation of roles. A few have already begun to weave their place within this story we are telling, but many remain quiescent, waiting for opportunities. Let me tell you now, those who stand in wait, now is the time to become those that you wish to become. Only by becoming the protagonist of our story do any of us have a chance to survive to see the end.

But the way will be hard, the hard will lead us into darkness. The Jotuns await in the north, for the call of Surtr to send them off to battle. But we shall stand, a victorious few against their vile many. Remember this, heroes are needed, not those that stand by. Make choices and make them boldly and make them known. Skulk not in shadows, for that way lies the path of destruction. Form not alliances, for such things are mercurial and all bonds will shatter in the wake of the world's ending. Make friends instead, form true bonds that can withstand even the worst.

And believe most of all in one's self, and one's potential. Know that the future is yours, if only you have the strength to grasp it. The horn sounds in the distance, battle will be joined soon, and blood will cover the snow, but those that survive will prove the stronger for it. A new chapter will begin soon, with the ending of the prologue and the rise to proper action. Strike forward my friends, and make your own destiny.

Rise up and make yourself a legend!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Asiina posted:

:munch: this one took me a smidge over 10 minutes so Cat would've taken me down :munch:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

What time are votes due today I'm back at work and in meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Quidnose posted:

What time are votes due today I'm back at work and in meetings