Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If I had to pick the greatest American filmmaker, I would be deadlocked between Orson Welles and... Stanley Kubrick. For that matter, the correlation between Welles and Kubrick is interesting.

Both completed 13 feature films in their lifetime and died at the age of 70. In fact, both directors thought highly of each other.

Kubrick's filmography is probably one of the best any director could have:

Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

His films are full of iconic imagery and referenced in nearly everything.

One thing you'll notice is that Kubrick rarely stuck to one genre or type of film. He made noirs, comedies, dramas, sci-fi, epics, horror. I'm drawn to Kubrick's films not just for their incredible technical artistry, but the way stories are told in such a way. And his sense of humor. There's this biting streak of humor in his films. Or the sense of realism. I'm also impressed with the consistency with his work. Fear and Desire is a fairly terrible movie, but it still isn't that bad as what's essentially a no-budget student film.

But that's just what makes Kubrick fascinating. He didn't have any formal or professional training in film. He gained interest in photography in his teens while he was bored with school. His photography work looks like something by a 20 year professional, not something a 16-year old shot. On his first two features, Fear and Desire, and Killer's Kiss, he not only directed, but was his own cinematographer, editor, and producer.

Another thing that makes Kubrick unique is that he enjoyed artistic freedom for almost his entire career. Spartacus was the only film he directed for hire. He had studio support because of the quality of his work. I'm also impressed with how he could make popular films without forsaking artistic integrity. The Shining is probably his most widely liked film. A lesser director would have made it just made it a slasher or conventional ghost story. Kubrick put so many layers onto the film that people have dozens of theories about what it's really about.

The last thing I like about Kubrick is that he seemed to be a genuinely nice person for the most part. He enjoyed a long, happy marriage with several daughters that were close to him. Out of all his writings and interviews, he talks about other filmmakers and films favorably. The only negative things I could find from him was that he hated The Wizard of Oz and made some criticisms about Schindler's List. Now, Kubrick did have some unusual points. He infamously cut off contact with Malcolm McDowell after making A Clockwork Orange, despite being close to him during shooting. He also overworked the cast in The Shining. Yet the actors didn't seem to resent him for it (note that some believe his daughter Vivian's documentary on The Shining is partially fabricated). I read somewhere that Kubrick likely had Asperger's Syndrome, which would explain a lot of his peculiarities (many believe Hitchcock had it, too).

Also, he loved his cats and let them into his editing room when he was working at home. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i like all of his films i have seen so far quite a lot especially on LSD

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

2001 is probably the best movie that has ever been made. Separately but also, it has been the best mushroom experience of all time

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Does Kubrick have a modern day spiritual successor? It's actually been driving me insane that i can't find any directors with his degree of expertise.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Does Kubrick have a modern day spiritual successor? It's actually been driving me insane that i can't find any directors with his degree of expertise.

Maybe Aronofsky? He's got that good composition.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Paul Thomas Anderson has some cool movies

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

I read somewhere that Kubrick likely had Asperger's Syndrome, which would explain a lot of his peculiarities (many believe Hitchcock had it, too).

Pretty much any historical figure who was slightly weird is "considered" to have Asperger's, including Hitler

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Francis Ford and Spielberg pretty much rock.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did Kubrick ever make a bad movie? I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut the first time, but I liked it more after rewatching it

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

God drat it I forgot to vote for Paths to Glory!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

can you not superimpose the same figure over any hallway?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
the shining sucked

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Did Kubrick ever make a bad movie? I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut the first time, but I liked it more after rewatching it

Fear and Desire is really bad. Although it has some nice camera work.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like his movies sometimes

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vols bitch posted:

the shining sucked

You suck

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Eyes Wide Shut is his Magnum Opus.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I like the Coen brothers and Scorsese too. I guess I like a lot of people. :)

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.

vols bitch posted:

the shining sucked

Aw man I love that one. My favorite interpretation of the Shining is that it's all about colonialism and the genocide of Native Americans. I had a hard time voting here. Paths of Glory rules. Clockwork Orange is the greatest cult movie of all time. Jump cuts, labyrinthine sets, and cameras strafing past perpendicular rows? loving jizzing my pants over here.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

I like the Coen brothers and Scorsese too. I guess I like a lot of people. :)

movies can be good sometimes

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

LegoPirateNinja posted:

the fact that you can put that same figure over every frame in the movie and it still looks balanced is the impressive part. rule of thirds much??

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Eyes Wide Shut was great because you got to see Nicole Kidmans titties

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

This article pieces together symbols deliberately embedded into the film to show that the monolith is really the movie screen rotated by 90 degrees. This insight is the gateway into understanding what may be Kubrick's ultimate point of the film: Our perception of significant real-world events (such as the lunar monolith discovery) are often times false flag operations carried out by small groups of people, by metaphorically projecting their image of the truth onto the movie screens of our minds in order to control and manipulate the population at large.

http://2001.a-false-flag-odyssey.com/

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
a clockwork orange and 2001 are what i watch when i want to stop feeling things and start thinking things

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

a clockwork orange and 2001 are what i watch when i want to stop feeling things and start thinking things

clever girl

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Trolling or do you want a serious reply on composure?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

Need to research clockwork Orange. I remember it being well done but not quite resonating as much as say sparticus or full metal jacket did for me. I do remember it making me empathise with a rapist which is impressive as hell though.

If I want to appreciate set design then it's the shinning all the way though. Room 237 is an essential watch for anyone interested in kubrick and the shining

I stick with 2001 as favorite though. A lot of people I know hate the slow pace, but the structure/symbolism/foreshadowing of it can't be beat.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

dad gay. so what posted:

movies can be good sometimes

:drat:

Cutting edge commentary on ol' Gibbis today.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

I stick with 2001 as favorite though. A lot of people I know hate the slow pace, but the structure/symbolism/foreshadowing of it can't be beat.

This, only said with more Busch Breath

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

LegoPirateNinja posted:

The hallway works in that movie for the same reason that fury road works. Everything's framed to let you know where the action is.

Symmetry itself is a huge thing throughout that movie in particular. I'm a bit too lazy to find examples right now, but I'm sure someone who's motivated enough can find a ton.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!

VendaGoat posted:

Trolling or do you want a serious reply on composure?

*loses composure*

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

drguildo posted:

*loses composure*

poo poo...

Composition.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Celluloid Sam posted:

i like all of his films i have seen so far quite a lot especially on LSD

lolita must be youre fave

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

paths of glory is my jam.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I love Kubrick and I think Barry Lyndon edges it as my favourite, I would probably tie it with Days of Heaven for the most visually beautiful film of all time.

I think in terms of quality, style, technically ability and the variety of his films Paul Thomas Anderson is the closest there is to a modern Kubrick.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My thoughts on Kubrick's films:

Fear and Desire - Kubrick compared it to a child's crayon drawing on a fridge. Accurate. It's bad, but it has some interesting camera work and editing.
Killer's Kiss - Not a masterpiece, but I love it. Like a sleazy PRC noir that's beautifully photographed.
The Killing - Hell yeah. One of the best noirs ever made.
Paths of Glory - One of the greatest films ever made and a powerful anti-war film.
Spartacus - Meh. It has Kubrick's technical fingerprints all over it (long takes and awesome camera moves), but it's kind of schmaltzy. Great cast, though. I need to see it again.
Lolita - Meh again, but it is beautifully shot and yet again has a great cast. Best part about it is that Peter Sellers is doing Kubrick's voice as Quilty.
Dr. Strangelove - Another great, great film and one of the funniest comedies ever made. Peter Sellers is great, but George C. Scott is hilarious just with his face.
2001 - One of my all-time favorites. Probably the greatest sci-fi movie ever made. Nothing has come close to matching the power it has.
A Clockwork Orange - Another of my favorites. I've looked at is a dark comedy-horror from the perspective of the monster.
Barry Lyndon - Yet another great, fantastic movie. One of the most beautiful films ever made.
The Shining - I'm not a big fan of horror, but this is my favorite next to Robert Wise's The Haunting.
Full Metal Jacket - I'm due for a re-watch, but while the camp scenes are great, I found the rest to be kind of meh. Again, I think I'll like it more now.
Eyes Wide Shut - Kubrick's masterpiece of masterpieces. Often darkly funny, other times terrifying. A spot-on, spiritual (not literal) adaptation of the Schnitzler novella.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm gonna rewatch eyes wide shut because I thought it was absolutely awful the first/only time I saw it.

Which was weird because it has a lot of good elements: Kubrick, sex cults, conspiracies

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
voted all of them because Kubrick is good even if I haven't seen some of them

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

darkhand posted:

I'm gonna rewatch eyes wide shut because I thought it was absolutely awful the first/only time I saw it.

Me too, except I was 17 years old and watching it because I wanted to see tits. If you watch it for that, you're going to be terribly disappointed.

It's a lot more fun deconstructing Eyes Wide Shut than The Shining because all the layers are actually there instead of inferred.

Eyes Wide Shut is essentially a black comedy that turns into a thriller. Kubrick even pokes fun at himself by having Tom Cruise shut off the classical music in the opening scene that had been playing since the credits.

I saw it in 35mm years ago and the film was so hazy, grainy, and colorful. Like a dream.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

StoneOfShame posted:

I love Kubrick and I think Barry Lyndon edges it as my favourite, I would probably tie it with Days of Heaven for the most visually beautiful film of all time.

I think in terms of quality, style, technically ability and the variety of his films Paul Thomas Anderson is the closest there is to a modern Kubrick.

gently caress I forgot I still haven't seen Barry Lyndon. It being long as gently caress has been spooky

• Locked thread