Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
im actually really glad for overwatch because not only does it buck a lot of boring game design trends but they also didn't decide to make everyone a loving grimdark robot or a chest-heavy muscle man.

like i dont give a poo poo about playing as a russian lesbian, i am just glad there are choices other than 'man whose pectorals are 75% of his body mass'

it still falls victim to some questionable design like the invisible walls and making everything idiot friendly but they are not crippling flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nigga crab pollock posted:

im actually really glad for overwatch because not only does it buck a lot of boring game design trends but they also didn't decide to make everyone a loving grimdark robot or a chest-heavy muscle man.

like i dont give a poo poo about playing as a russian lesbian, i am just glad there are choices other than 'man whose pectorals are 75% of his body mass'

it still falls victim to some questionable design like the invisible walls and making everything idiot friendly but they are not crippling flaws

Overwatch is literally press Q simulator.

If your team co-ordinates pressing Q on a control point map you win.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i like video games its the other posters that are poo poo

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
yeah and if the other team also coordinates pressing q you probably won't win

my initial opinion of overwatch was bad because it has a stupid barrier for entry, children can pick it up and do good. unfortunately i equated ease of picking up with skill cap

robot ninja 'definitely not grey fox' genji requires about as much skill as being good at quake

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically video games have turned into Hollywood and that's why they suck. It costs insane amounts of money to make a big movie, so they make them all sequels and remakes so people go see them and try to make them appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. Likewise it takes a stupid amount of money and manpower to make a video game and that leads to people playing it safe. If your project bombs, you're totally hosed. It doesn't help that all the middle-tier devs went the way of the dodo so now just the big giants and little cellphone shovelware companies and indie devs who are up their own assholes are left. Technology improved but the actual economics and logistics of making games that take advantage of this improved tech just couldn't keep up. They also all still cost $60 but cost way more to make, so they have to release half finished games with DLC you get later to even make a profit.

tl;dr Capitalism ruined video games along with everything else

Is there a video game bubble

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

afeelgoodpoop posted:

overwatch is such rear end and gently caress anyone that likes it. zero inertia like free to play korean fps cept with rear end women you can ogle and moba like spells in an overly designed tf2 ripoff setting. oh cool my hero can climb up walls or teleport? oh the levels were made unfun by the overengineering of the levels so you cant even get on most roofs. gently caress the normie gamer plague, their probably voting hillary anyway.

actually you can get on top most roofs and it is a viable if not necessary strategy because only like four of the characters can get up there. its just not the roofs that exist as the boundaries of the level. hope this helps!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically video games have turned into Hollywood and that's why they suck. It costs insane amounts of money to make a big movie, so they make them all sequels and remakes so people go see them and try to make them appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. Likewise it takes a stupid amount of money and manpower to make a video game and that leads to people playing it safe. If your project bombs, you're totally hosed. It doesn't help that all the middle-tier devs went the way of the dodo so now just the big giants and little cellphone shovelware companies and indie devs who are up their own assholes are left. Technology improved but the actual economics and logistics of making games that take advantage of this improved tech just couldn't keep up. They also all still cost $60 but cost way more to make, so they have to release half finished games with DLC you get later to even make a profit.

basically yeah

its funny because all of the focus on expensive garbage basically took effort away from actually designing compelling and interesting gameplay systems. instead of work going into 'is moving my character fun? is shooting fun?' all of the effort goes into animating the multitude of carabiners on player models and making sure the environments look photo realistic enough when none of those things are really actually important to the core gameplay

crysis is still fun and looks good, not because the game tried really hard to look ~real~ but because they also tried to make it fun. picking up a turtle and beastmode predator jumping on top of a beach house and chucking that turtle into an enemy soldier is good. that is fun. that is how you make a game fun. the graphics improved the experience yes but they didn't clearly skimp on major game systems by making it look good, or try to quantify 'fun' into units and spread them out on the map with an arrow pointing to them

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

will minesweeper be ok

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
games are totally fine and good the problem is too many threads like this one

that's my take

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
xbone is clearly the better console at this point i mean 250 bucks are you kiddin

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is there a video game bubble

There was a indie kickstarter bubble that seems to have popped and died down a little but for big budget games not really. There are fewer but still racking in the money.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

reallivedinosaur posted:

xbone is clearly the better console at this point i mean 250 bucks are you kiddin

Yeah I guess if you're going to eat poo poo ("play on a console") you may as well pay the least you can get away with.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

notZaar posted:

Yeah I guess if you're going to eat poo poo ("play on a console") you may as well pay the least you can get away with.

let me just download halo 5 on my steam account oh wait steam is poo poo and all the games cost 10x too much

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
19.99 sounds fair for Far Cry 1

:gaben:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
GoG on my dick, fuckman

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Grumpy old women tried to get rid of alcohol 100 years ago and all they did was make drinking more cool and import the mob.

No American president, court, or congress has ever successfully gotten rid of anything except for 3rd world democratic movements.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

actually you can get on top most roofs and it is a viable if not necessary strategy because only like four of the characters can get up there. its just not the roofs that exist as the boundaries of the level. hope this helps!

yes, even boundries between the ridiculous corridors in the same level which seem to be the thing they thought people liked most about tf2 cause they're everywhere and mega gay.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Literally lol at the idea of Anita Sarkeesian sitting on a PMRC-style senate hearing, trying to explain why the video game titty is bad and will induce woman-hating psychosis in even the most guarded child.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

will minesweeper be ok

IRL minesweeper only

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

paco650 posted:

Literally lol at the idea of Anita Sarkeesian sitting on a PMRC-style senate hearing, trying to explain why the video game titty is bad and will induce woman-hating psychosis in even the most guarded child.

She already went to some UN Women's thing. Of course the paper she was sponsoring included citing sources that claim pokemon makes kids satan worshippers and citing their own c drive.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
As a man let me explain for the 10th thread this week why this character wearing skimpy clothing is disgusting to our culture.

And yes, I'm still a virgin but I don't see how that's relevant.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Will Hilary Clinton make Dark Souls real?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Hillary is like Kaathe and is trying to prevent all those chosen ISIS undeads from linking the fire. Pls Vote.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

overwatch is such rear end and gently caress anyone that likes it. zero inertia like free to play korean fps cept with rear end women you can ogle and moba like spells in an overly designed tf2 ripoff setting. oh cool my hero can climb up walls or teleport? oh the levels were made unfun by the overengineering of the levels so you cant even get on most roofs. gently caress the normie gamer plague, their probably voting hillary anyway.

FPS peaked at UT99 and Quake 3. It's downhill from there, and yeah Overwatch is a moist poo poo spraypainted with neon color

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol that Games closed the nintendo thread because of "no chat crew" with dozens of other chat crew threads

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically video games have turned into Hollywood and that's why they suck.

also like Hollywood, every video game is either way too expensive to make (all the AAA fare) or made on the cheap (indie games). the middle has fallen out

but basically tl;dr sums it up nicely

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Archer666 posted:

No only the heat death of the universe will bring about our dark apocalypse.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

notZaar posted:

No only the heat death of the universe will bring about our dark apocalypse.

lmao this guy doesn't know about dark energy and accelerating expansion of the universe

probably a playstation owner

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Hillary Clinton will ban huge gaming rigs to ration energy for the resource wars with Russia that will deplete all of our natural resources

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Dennis System posted:

The problem with VR is that they aren't making any complex games for it. You can't even make your character walk in VR games. They have to do some weird teleporting thing instead.
I don't get that either, it's not even required to be that way. I played Battlezone at a PSVR demo to try it out, you drive the tank around with the gamepad just like a normal video game and it works just fine. I guess people freak the gently caress out if they can look down and see the ground move or something?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
goastse

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 5, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

CrashCat posted:

I don't get that either, it's not even required to be that way. I played Battlezone at a PSVR demo to try it out, you drive the tank around with the gamepad just like a normal video game and it works just fine. I guess people freak the gently caress out if they can look down and see the ground move or something?

If you don't have a fixed frame of reference for your movement your brain wigs out and wonders how the hell you're moving around without walking. If you're moving around in a vehicle in vr the brain has no issue

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

afeelgoodpoop posted:

yes, even boundries between the ridiculous corridors in the same level which seem to be the thing they thought people liked most about tf2 cause they're everywhere and mega gay.

thats qhat the q is for dummy

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Was she the one who tried to ban Night Trap?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

let me just download halo 5 on my steam account oh wait

:(

Boomstick Quaid posted:

If you don't have a fixed frame of reference for your movement your brain wigs out and wonders how the hell you're moving around without walking. If you're moving around in a vehicle in vr the brain has no issue

just make all player characters paralyzed from the waist down, problem solved

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Missingnoleader posted:

She already went to some UN Women's thing. Of course the paper she was sponsoring included citing sources that claim pokemon makes kids satan worshippers and citing their own c drive.

no way, for reals?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gammatron 64 posted:

no way, for reals?

HA, you didn't see it? That was one of the few "real" sources, over half the sources quotes in the paper where not valid and included stuff like this:

quote:

Halder, Debarati & K. Jaishankar (2015). Harassment via WHATsAPP in Urban & Rural India. A Baseline Survey Report (2015) file:///C:/Users/owner/Downloads/CCVCresearchreport2015.pdf

It was amazingly bad. Full list here, don't worry the article is just about how lovely the "sources" are.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I am from the future and there is no games (cuz Hilldawg).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FunkyFlashman posted:

well you got time travel, fix it yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FunkyFlashman posted:

we will forever be stuck playing "retro" games like dark souls 3

• Locked thread