Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rules
Primer

Game 1
Game 2

What?

Keyflower is the meanest game about preparing for the winter that you've ever played. A staggeringly good combination of worker placement, bidding wars, and downright nasty area control, it takes players through four seasons as they bid for and use village facilities in order to generate and move around resources in order to score victory points. The real crux of the game is that you aren't restricted to only using tiles that you control - you can work other people's tiles instead, or even those still in the bidding offer. Any workers on your tiles at the end of the season go back to your pot, so having a lot of people using your facilities will give you more population for the next phase of the game - but the cost of working a tile goes up as more people use it, so you have to pick your moments in order to try to block your opponents and not get screwed out of whatever it is you wanted to do. As if this weren't enough to balance as it is, players will also need to bid for new workers and their position in the turn order, and manage the colours of workers they have in order to get the most use out of them.

So what's the plan?
  • COs are encouraged. Please feel free to put several moves in order of preference.
  • Actions in bold in the thread. Please use 'use' or 'bid' because if you use 'place on' I will pick whichever would benefit you least.
  • As ever, shittalking, audience posting, and questions are all a-okay.
Recruiting
  • This will be a full 6 player game because I want to see more tears.
  • Because of the larger number of players, I will track 'known' Meeples in posts and a combined inventory via the traditional dropbox link.
  • Newbies are welcome. Don't worry if you think you'll be poo poo at the game. No-one actually ever thinks they're good at this.
  • PMs are required. Sorry! I need to keep your inventory secret, after all. As in most of my games, your inventory will be a dropbox link that autoupdates as the game goes on.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hours, after which time selection will be by random draw. Huge thanks to Bubble-T for hooking me up with tile images - if he wants a slot, he is getting grandfathered in for the work involved.
  • I would like players who can check in at least a couple times per day! This game involves a lot of bidding and I'd prefer it go fast because otherwise it'll get super bogged down.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've heard a lot about Keyflower but never seen it myself. Would love to play, but will watch regardless!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm most fond of Keyflower at low player counts, so I'll just watch.

Unrelatedly, I see you're already mad at everyone messily showing you their tile placements.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This definitely seems cool. I'm down to play and/or watch.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

Unrelatedly, I see you're already mad at everyone messily showing you their tile placements.

Actually, last thread I got reminded that the top image is totally valid if you drew that one boat.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stelas posted:

Actually, last thread I got reminded that the top image is totally valid if you drew that one boat.

I was actually referring to the thread title. "All six of you" only applies if you aren't a player.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I am ready to make more rotating tile gifs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm watching, too busy, but I love keyflower threads. They always live up to the thread titles. :3:

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Throwing my hat in the ring.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The poo poo-Talking Candyland game thread has prepared me for maximum salt. Count me in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Here mostly to see the player's jpegs. :munch:

EDIT: Hey, look what I found reading through the other games:

Stelas posted:

And that's why I'm not prepared to run 6 player PBPs.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 4, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'll play if you don't mind that I've played in one of these before. I'm still angry that everyone conspired to turn my turn my well deserved victory into a crushing defeat.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I've been keeping my eye on this game for a while. Eager to play :).

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I have never played Keyflower or a PBP game but would love to try this.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Hey, look what I found reading through the other games:

Ha ha ha ha yeahhh. I'm a bit worried about what'll happen if a couple of players are significantly out of sync time-wise, but what the hell, might as well try.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

According to random.org, the players are:

Gabriel Pope
Electric Hobo
Meinberg
Baron Fuzzlewhack
CirclMastr
Dancer

I'll have the spring map up in a sec.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Good luck to all the players assholes. I'll be watching and judging.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Everyone will be getting a link to their hands. This link will auto-update throughout the game. This link also has your winter tiles. Remember that, come winter, you will need to add 1 or 2 of these tiles to the winter bid. You are not guaranteed to get them, nor should you consider them make-or-break for your strategy!

Please make moves in bold so I spot them, and please feel free to make your move rather than wait for me. I'll chime in with map updates when I can, but things will go faster if there's less waiting.

39 keyples left. 39 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
Player Order: Gabriel Pope - Electric Hobo - Meinberg - Baron Fuzzlewhack - CirclMastr - Dancer
Known Meeples:
    - Gabriel Pope: 8 left, unknown colours.
    - Electric Hobo: 8 left, unknown colours.
    - Meinberg: 8 left, unknown colours.
    - Baron Fuzzlewhack: 8 left, unknown colours.
    - CirclMastr: 8 left, unknown colours.
    - Dancer: 8 left, unknown colours.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 5, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh gosh I have no idea what I'm doing!

Ok, so I will... use a blue guy on the Peddler tile to exchange a yellow guy into a green guy. Do I have that right?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oh gosh I have no idea what I'm doing!

Ok, so I will... use a blue guy on the Peddler tile to exchange a yellow guy into a green guy. Do I have that right?

Yes, that's right.

On your turn you can either bid a number of keyples to try to win a tile, or you can use keyples on a tile to use its function, including tiles in other people's villages. You have to match any colours already on or around the tile, so the next person who wants to use that tile would have to pay two blue, and anyone wanting to bid on it would have to use blues. (Similarly, your green is valuable because right now no-one else has one - you could totally lock down a tile in terms of bidding.)

Keyples that are part of a losing bid can be moved around and combined with other bids / keyples from your hand, but never returned to your hand. Keyples that win bids at the end of a season disappear. Keyples on tiles go to whoever wins or owns that tile. As such, if you have useful or desirable tiles, you will enjoy more people to work with in later seasons because people will use your tile and you'll get control of those keyples.

Gaining VP is done in a number of ways:
- Upgrading tiles will flip the tile, boosting the power of its action and possibly giving you VP (the number in the yellow circle).
- Autumn tiles will include Storehouses, which give VP for each resource on that tile at the end of the game.
- Winter tiles will give VP for various things.
- No resource/person can count for VP twice.

In addition to all this, you have the numbered tiles. These are the order in which you'll pick which boat you get at the end of the season, which is the other way to gain more keyples and skill tiles.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I really should have read the rules before I signed up.

Oh well, I'm sure it's all going to go perfectly well without any issues whatsoever and I'm sure I'll do just fine at this apparently quite simple and easy game hahahaha

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

In addition to all this, you have the numbered tiles. These are the order in which you'll pick which boat you get at the end of the season, which is the other way to gain more keyples and skill tiles.

Wait, there's only 4. Does that mean 2 players get shafted out of a boat each season? :ohdear:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wait, there's only 4. Does that mean 2 players get shafted out of a boat each season? :ohdear:

No - they pick going in player order from whoever takes no. 4.

Also, the purple dude on the 4 tile means whoever gets that tile goes first next season.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 5, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As you can see from below the image, I'll be updating 'known' meeple counts as the game goes on. Since you all drew from the bag at the start of the game, most meeples are unknown, but I'll track the fact that (for instance) everyone knows Gabriel Pope just picked up a green. With 6 players, it's easy to forget this stuff and this saves the busywork of going back through the thread.

40 keyples left. 39 skill tiles left. 19 greens not in circulation.
Player Order: Gabriel Pope - Electric Hobo - Meinberg - Baron Fuzzlewhack - CirclMastr - Dancer
Known Meeples:
    - Gabriel Pope: 7 left, 1 green.
    - Electric Hobo: 8 left, unknown colours.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
With all these tiles I'm sure we'll all get long nicely!
Bid 2 red on Stable .

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Am I right in saying gently caress you Stelas for making me go last :V?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dancer posted:

Am I right in saying gently caress you Stelas for making me go last :V?

See here's another interesting thing about Keyflower. Any time it's your turn, you can pass.

... but you still get turns later on. If you're canny, you can use this to your advantage. The season only ends when everyone has passed in consecutive order. (You also can keep keyples back, if you like, and losing bids that you haven't moved elsewhere are returned to you.)

Anyway don't blame me, blame random.org.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'd like to produce on the Alehouse with 1 yellow.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

39 keyples left. 39 skill tiles left. 19 greens not in circulation.
Known Meeples:
    - Electric Hobo: 6 left, unknown colours.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Use 1 Red on the Woodcutter. Changed it, sorry.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 6, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Use 1 blue on the Miner

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Resource tiles: if you own a resource tile, then the generated resource lands on the tile itself. If someone else owns it, or it's still up for bid, it'll appear on your home tile. (Again, skill tiles have no physical presence - they just go into your bank.)

Also, remember that gold is a wildcard for any upgrade resource, and always gives 1 VP if it can't give more at the end of the game.

By CO, Dancer uses blue on quarryman.

39 keyples left. 39 skill tiles left. 19 greens not in circulation.
Known Meeples:
    - Electric Hobo: 6 left, unknown colours.
    - Baron Fuzzlewhack: 7 left, unknown colours.
    - CirclMastr: 7 left, unknown colours.
    - Dancer: 7 left, unknown colours.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bid 1 red guy on the number 2 tile

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Bid 1 blue on Miner

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Bid 1 red on Turn Order #1

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Bid 1 Yellow on Workshop.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Bid 1 red on Gold Mine.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Use one blue on Apprentice Hall

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bid 1 green on key mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That's a lot of bids to wake up to. That's awesome, thank you guys for the promptness.

Fun fact about greens - when used, they don't disappear from the game again. Instead, they go into the main bag and may pop up on boats or as part of draws.

39 keyples left. 38 skill tiles left. 19 greens not in circulation.
Known Meeples:
    - Gabriel Pope: 5 left, unknown colours.
    - Electric Hobo: 5 left, unknown colours.
    - Meinberg: 7 left, unknown colours.
    - Baron Fuzzlewhack: 6 left, unknown colours.
    - CirclMastr: 6 left, unknown colours.
    - Dancer: 6 left, unknown colours.

• Locked thread