Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

So one way of being a paraplegic is to be paralyzed. You still have your legs, but they're just inert lumps of flesh. The other is to have amputations, you just don't have legs.

In paralympic races, are these groups segregated? Because if you're in a distance wheelchair race, ceteris parabus a guy with no legs is going to be faster than a guy who has useless legs, because he doesn't have that extra mass weighing him down. If they're not segregated, has there ever been a case where a guy whose legs are paralyzed has elected to have them amputated in order to be able to go faster?

This girl here apparently has legs and a neural condition that keeps her wheelchair bound, but maybe with feeling and limited movement on the legs? So it's sorta lenient I guess. I saw the swimming and it had guys with all possible number of limbs (a chinese dude with no arms broke the word record though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

nerdz posted:

This girl here apparently has legs and a neural condition that keeps her wheelchair bound, but maybe with feeling and limited movement on the legs? So it's sorta lenient I guess. I saw the swimming and it had guys with all possible number of limbs (a chinese dude with no arms broke the word record though)

Genetically flawed, would.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

nerdz posted:

I'm watching some paralympic videos here and slowly getting the conclusion that China got a level above spain and is actually chopping limbs off to make paralympic athletes

how likely is that i wonder

that would require anyone to actually give a poo poo about the paralympic games

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see human torso Siamand Rahman bench over 700lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V8SzaNzS7g&hd=1

It's pretty impressive when you consider he has no hip or leg drive on the bench.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Phanatic posted:

So one way of being a paraplegic is to be paralyzed. You still have your legs, but they're just inert lumps of flesh. The other is to have amputations, you just don't have legs.

In paralympic races, are these groups segregated? Because if you're in a distance wheelchair race, ceteris parabus a guy with no legs is going to be faster than a guy who has useless legs, because he doesn't have that extra mass weighing him down. If they're not segregated, has there ever been a case where a guy whose legs are paralyzed has elected to have them amputated in order to be able to go faster?

IIRC, at least some of the paraplegic racers, they have I guess racing wheelchairs where their legs are tucked under.

Though, I guess you can make that question in a lot of the events. Does a runner with two carbon-alloy legs have an advantage over a really good sprinter with just one?

E: My father tried to get into the Paralympics in the early 70s; since he only had a full leg brace due to Polio, at that time, he could apparently only have competed with 'les autres', 'the others'. Sure you had a physical disability, but not in the extent of a missing limb or being confined to a wheelchair. Allegedly back then, he could have done like, shooting or archery. He got mad and said 'eff it' to even considering trying because he had wanted to try and get in for volleyball or tennis.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 31, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did your dad have a tight bikini-bod for volleyball?

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Though, I guess you can make that question in a lot of the events. Does a runner with two carbon-alloy legs have an advantage over a really good sprinter with just one?

I think they have separate categories for people with impairment in one or both legs, as well as separate ones for above and below knee amputations.

Found the list, theres even running categories for people with arm impairments - https://www.paralympic.org/athletics/classification

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nerdz posted:

That last one actually kinda makes sense, because without your arms you'd be more streamlined in the water wouldn't you?

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

They've impeached the president. poo poo's getting real.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i know that temer is a right-wing evangelical piece of poo poo and he's almost certainly going to lead brazil into the loving arms of Jair Bolsonaro, but dilma certainly did her part in lurching society to the right. just goes to show you that you can't give an inch to people that will always hate you and expect to come out on top

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
First paralympimpian to perform additional amputations to improve athletic performance?

Swedish media is reporting that Shahrzad Kiavash performed a non medically motivated amputation in order to improve her running performance.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone seen the World Nomad Games opening?

Here's a promo trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLvd1KIsIM

The opening had US nomads, Swiss nomads and many others.
Scroll through this to see the athlete parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqgMkVRqVA

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tickets are like 2.50 for the Paralympic Games. Sounds like a great idea for s company retreat!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

SelenicMartian posted:

The opening had US nomads, Swiss nomads and many others.
Scroll through this to see the athlete parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqgMkVRqVA

They're nomads, the parade should never end

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone seen the World Nomad Games opening?
no but i saw Steven Seagal post a picture with some Nomad Games athletes from Kyrgyzstan

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Best part of the paralympic opening ceremony were the little paralysed kids strapped to the fronts of adults, like Jaeger pilots from Pacific Rim.

edit:

Mola Yam fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 8, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

Best part of the paralympic opening ceremony were the little paralysed kids strapped to the fronts of adults, like Jaeger pilots from Pacific Rim.

lmao

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mola Yam posted:

owns

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mola Yam posted:

edit:

Quaaaiid, Start the reactor Paralympics

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Ryan Lochte: Swimmer banned for 10 months over false robbery claims

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

edit:

Wasn't it when the president was booed?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
drat that's creepy

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

edit:

amazing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

drat that's creepy

There is definitely something off-putting about the visual.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There is definitely something off-putting about the visual.

human centipede?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

etalian posted:

human centipede?

No, that's not it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It's probably really cool for those cripplets to walk even if it's just being strapped to a normal person. Like i can't fly but i would still really enjoy being carried around in the sky.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
master blaster or a variation thereof?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Zo posted:

It's probably really cool for those cripplets to walk even if it's just being strapped to a normal person. Like i can't fly but i would still really enjoy being carried around in the sky.

Laughed at this. Going to hell :mrwhite:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zo posted:

cripplets

I'm dying

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

They probably are.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I walked into a Nike store in brazil to buy some running shoes and there was a shitload of the official olympic shoes (the hot pink and fluorescent yellow ones) being sold at half price

score

nerdz fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 11, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

welp looks like brazil is gonna make the world cup in 2018 after all

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Of course it was, the bribe money was already spent before the Olympics even began. :homebrew:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Someone, maybe Brazilian, stormed the stage of DWTS and tried to attack/citizen's arrest Ryan Lochte.

These Olympics keep on giving even when they're over.

https://twitter.com/JamisonWFTS/status/775517110323871746

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 13, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Leaked documents says the Williams sisters and Biles had special authorization to use banned substances

https://www.rt.com/sport/359215-wada-substances-williams-biles/

EDIT: vvvv yeah, RT. but the leak and the documents are real. you can easily find the same news on others sources too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 13, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Leaked documents says the Williams sisters and Biles had special authorization to use banned substances

excellent source!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: vvvv yeah, RT. but the leak and the documents are real. you can easily find the same news on others sources too

This seems on the level of calling someone a heroin addict for taking aspirin for a headache.

Mind you, I'm sure a bunch if shady poo poo went down in order to get the exemption made, but until that surfaces this is a bunch of Russian nerds invading people's privacy and pissing on the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Furia posted:

pissing on the wind
Not on the wind. Into the spare tube.

• Locked thread