Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Star Wars Rebellion: How I stopped worrying and learned to love the Force

Star Wars Rebellion is 4x game released in 1998, which challenges you to lead the Galactic Empire or the Rebel Alliance to victory and control of the Galaxy. Build fleet, engage in space combat, conquer planets, engage in subterfuge and sabotage, and ensure victory.

Or, better put, you basically deal with the kinda simplistic UI and figure out how best to engage your megalomania. Is this a great game? No. I’d hesitate to call it a good game either. It’s not bad either. It’s, especially compared to modern games, mediocre. But that’s not a bad thing. I have a soft-spot for this game, built of nostalgia, and the fact that I have been playing it since release, and well, can break it in half when I want. All in all, it is a fun game, and I do recommend playing it.

Which brings me to the gimmick of this LP. The first few updates and game will be doing an Empire run, since the previous LP did rebels. I’ll explain game mechanic, and do infodump posts about ships, characters and anything that needs a deeper explanation I can’t do in regular updates. As well, i’ll make note of what was created for the game, and what already existed in the terrible EU as well as their official entry in the 1998 Star Wars Encyclopedia which came out before the prequels so contains none of that stuff. Yes I am a terrible star wars nerd.

After I finish that game, I enter Challenge Mode. What that means is that I do something stupid each game that I wouldn’t normally. Be it a rule wherein I cannot conduct research all game, and can only build starting ships, or no recruitment, or new canon only. I have my own list, buuuuuuuut, I am more than happy to use submitted challenges. Send them to me by PM or to my email which is username@gmail.com Any suggestions I use will be credited to everyone who submits them. So say 5 people say “only use aliens” then I will list everyone who sent me that.

If i get through all the challenges I can do with the base game, I may bust out the wonderful RebEd which modifies game files. So, you know, you may get a whiny vader cosplayer showing up if my ADD doesn’t make me forget about this in 2 weeks.

If you want to play this game, it is available on GoG for roughly $5 US here. I do encourage you to get it, it’s a decent enough time waster, and fun enough. As well, if I post a challenge, and you think you can do it better, or you think you wanna try and post the results, go for it and post it here! heck, if enough people want to do it, I am willing to post the challenge in advance and we can do a derby.

As well, regarding ship names and such, go ahead and post them ITT. I cannot guarantee any ship classes, and I sure as poo poo am not building a ship I normally wouldn’t (unless in challenge that require me to) so you can get your special snowflake.

Finally, before the premier update, please check out Pander’s wonderful narrative LP here. It’s pretty funny, and gives you a good idea of the rebels. Also, if you want to join in on how terrible the EU is, but don't know much, you can't go wrong reading this let's read thread

Challenge List. Last updated August 7th

Main Run
First update, days 1-50
Second update, Days 50-150
Third update, days 150-211
Update #4 days 211-321
Final main run update, days 321-528

Challenge mode updates

Challenge run 1, 1st update
Challenge run 1, 2nd update
Challenge run 1, 3rd update
Challenge run 1, 4th update
Challenge run 1`, final update

Character, ships, game mechanics, troops
Ship and character post #1
Ship and character post #2, game mechanics post #1
Character post #3
Ships and Characters post #4, game mechanics post #2]
Character and Ship Post #5
Character and ship post #6
Character and ship post #7, troop post

Contributions

From Poptarts Ninja

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Update #1: Setting up for a quick failure. Days: 1-50

Alright, let’s get this show on the road.

Here’s the fancy starting screen, which blew my mind when I was a kid. Going around top to bottom, the starships in the top left are difficulty. I’m going Medium. The CD is where the save games are, and the LucasArts logo replays the intro. Rebel and Imp logos are the faction, click them to start the game. Galaxy size is there. Since this is a demo game, I’ll stick with small. For most challenges, i’ll stick to these presets, unless the challenge itself requires or would work better with different settings. Finally that glowy box on the left is multiplayer(it normally shows a rebel trooper and stormtrooper headbutting) and on the other side that lever is quit game.

And now we’re off! The problem is the inflight movie is biodome with Pauly Shore, so I’m already in a bad place

Alright, here we go, in the Galaxy Screen. We have our advisors, Snarky Imperial 3-po, and spider r2. They give us a briefing that lasts 2 minutes, is boring, and in the GOG version CANNOT BE SKIPPED. This will be the hardest part of Challenge mode for me, FWIW. At the top is our mineral count. Raw materials are on the left, from mines. It’s processed by refineries into refined materials. Finally, we have our maintenance pool. Each mine/refinery pair adds 50 to it.

I didn’t reproduce the briefing for your sanity dear reader. Instead, cliffnotes is as such. Sluis Sector, I got one disloyal system to three rebel very loyal. Corellian is a toss up, one loyal and two disloyal to me, and three rebel loyal. Sesswenna, I have two loyal system, and 4 rebel. Vader started out on Coruscant, which is good and bad. Good, I can have him recruit and detect force sensitive right away, bad, I can’t use him to diplomacy to get planets, or make them loyal.

Speaking of force sensitive, one of my starting idiots can be a jedi off the bat.

This...isn’t half bad. Veers is usually only useful for troop research and being a garrison commander, so I can make something useful outta him, or at least make him insta-detect enemy force users.

Brief overview of the Sesswenna system in detail. I like to handle each sector individually to start, prioritizing Sesswenna, then Correllian, then wrapping up with Sluis. However, whatever assets are in sector stay there. They don’t, except in rare cases, get reinforced from outta sector. For Rebels, it’s reverse order usually when I play em.

Alright, on Coruscant, I have Sheev, Darth, and Veers. Sheev and Darth are both going recruiting to build up my numbers. Veers is going General, in the odd chance the enemy tries anything, and because I don’t have a troop building yard. I also have two types of generic spec ops. Generics are basically much weaker version of characters, who can do limited missions. Imperial Espionage droids can do espionage missions, and Noghri Death Commandos can abdut, assassinate or rescue. They are ok in a pinch, and you can do swarm.

Coruscant has a construction facility, so it’s building up more on the planet, so I can spam it. Umgul in sluis does too, as does Xynique(I think). Either way, turn 2 (because you never start on turn 1) make sure your construction yards are building more.

Here is the home defense fleet. One Star Destroyer with 6 Tie Fighters, and two useless troop transports. Not the most inspiring. However, we do have a good deal of ground based Tie Fighters. Coruscant will always start with a good Tie garrison, and a star destroyer with a full complement. This means, since the Rebels will not have the firepower, you can be very aggressive with it to start the game

The fleet starts with Jerjerrod, who I will immediately send to win over Averam,which has a troop training facility, so that I can get Veers troop training right away.

See?

Anyways, on Bortras, we have this chucklefuck. Lookit his scowl. Anyways, I send him to take over fleet 1, so we can use it for an attack. I’ve never noticed in real terms the benefit of an admiral in combat, but hey, it doesn’t really cost anything

Let’s move to the Corellian Sector. This is actually a stronger one that the Sesswenna for now. Xynique has a construction yard, and Tralus has a shipyard. While no diplomats are there, we can try to boost the loyalty, by making the rebel systems disloyal, and this may be a rare case where I send a diplomat over early.

As we can see, we are barely not in rebellion on these planets. Garrison limits stretch from 0-6, and it is always good to have one above limit to protect from sabotage. If a planet goes under the limit, it goes into uprising, and the number of troops require doubles, which usually and quickly gets to a scary 12 needed. No production or resource collection happen while a planet is in uprising, and it causes a ripple effect for loyalty.

My first real move in sector is to combine my fleets. I have a fleet over Selonia I am sending to join the party at Xynique. I’ll have, when the fleets combine, one victory, two dreads, and a galleon, with three tie fighters. A decent fleet, although, really could use some fighter support.

On it, I have these two guys, who I will put in charge as Admiral and Commander respectfully. To go down command roles, Admiral boost capital ship performance, General troops, and Commander fighters. As well, they all boost detection, but the general does it most.

So, I just have these generics on Tralus. The probe droid can do recon missions on outer rim systems. I mean, I could actually. I could also sacrifice it by running recon on a rebel planet to get a snapshot of their defense. I did neither! I will be doing something with it next update, if I remember.

As we can see, Tralus is even more disloyal, which is worrying because it has my shipyard in the system. I probably should send a diplomat down here.

I decided to build up a nice little garrison of tie fighters here. A good swarm can easily stop any invasion, and having these around means I can move them into fleets to replace combat losses

I am done with Corellia so onto our redheaded stepchild Sluis. My strat for this system is see what I can grab before the rebels roll in, and make them toeholds for when I actually roll in

I have Piett, so I set him to make Umgul loyal to start off with because it’s garrison limit is 3, and I only have three troops on it.

Alright, action time. Fleets are combined, and I am about to send them off to take Drall. Just showing you I took the troops off and sent them to garrison Xynique and Tralus.

And away they go! Now, you may thinking, how am I gonna grab it without troops? Stick around

Piett already pays off! Basically, if a planet is pretty disloyal, you lose a good chunk of material production to smugglers (wanna say 50%) unless you blockade it yourself with your own ships (I started getting smuggling losses when I removed the fleet from Xynqiue for the attack)

Two things to note, First, Umgul’s bar is a little more green, and every neutral system in Sluis is too. Secondly, I send the defense fleet to attack Chandrilla.

It’s time for our first battle! Now, I don’t want to let you down, but it’s probably a fighter garrison I will sweep away

Or not! This is really good. I found all the corvettes they start with, so I will either force them to retreat, which boost our diplomacy slightly sector wide, or blow their ships up which is a bigger boost.

I’m really not worried about the battle. The ties will eat the ywings, and the capital ships will easily pound the Corvettes. Although, I should move Ozzel and Needa to the Victory. Also, change Needa to a Commander cause I have no troops. Whoops. Brainfart for me

Alright, so basically, here we go. I am surprise they aren’t running but are setting up for battle. So, first the capital ships with guns are gonna focus fire down the corvette in front of the victory, while the galleon hides because it’s worthless

The ties target the y-wings of course. I wait until the battle has commenced, and the ships are moving before issuing the order. What this means is that instead of meeting in the no man's land in the middle, the fighters will clash in front of my ships. Means nothing here, but if this was a battle where I had anti-starfighter ships, it means that they would fire right into the melee right away, giving me an edge. That is basically the most tactically complex thing you can do in fleet combat.

And battle is joined. After the first salvo, shooting star is losing shields, and shield regen has been knocked down slightly. The fighters are tangling

Realizing the battle is lost, the rebels flee. If I had gotten one more hit on it, I woulda popped the corvette

As it stands, I did enough damage to the star that it is useless without repairs. It is gunless, and shield recharge is down, so I won’t be facing it for a few months at least. As well, I outright killed one ywing squadron, and heavily depleted the other.

our damage is limited to our fighters, but it is worse than it seems. The surviving squadron is down to 1 of 12 fighters, so in practice, we have no fighter cover. I still consider this an unqualified victory.

Checking with Palp, he recruited a boba fett cosplayer, who I will send to our Chandrilla fleet to cause chaos on the planet when he gets there. Or rather, after the fleet gets there I’ll send him, because you cannot send anything to a fleet in hyperspace.

Drall has two units and a shield protecting it. If had troops, I could still invade, and tank my reputation and cause widespread planets jumping to the rebels, and all mine going into uprising. And such, we hit my strategy, which is very unempire. The first stage here is to send these two guys to sabotage the shield.

While we are doing that, we take on Chandrila, which just had a couple ywings guarding it. They are now dead.

They did kill one of my tie fighters tho. Squadrons and ships repair faster on friendly ground, so I swap a healthy fighter on Coruscant for the damaged one. This makes the fleet fully operational, and the fighter will be good to go soon too/

poo poo! They are trying to break my blockade. This could be an issue. I only have a single tie fighter, so if this fleet has any rebel fighters, this will be tough.

Yeah, I’m good. Although, this is telling. This means first, the rebels have 4 bulk cruisers, which are subpar. More importantly, they are spending their resources building new ones instead of fighters or dreads. Only newly build AI ships don’t have names. So, they have an active shipyard they are wasting on poo poo. As well, no neb b means they haven’t really started research

As we can see, it just runs away as fast as possible. And my Tie is super close to being dead

So, these two guys took down the shield generator. And as you can see, sending them on the mission removed their command status. Which is fine. Anyways, step two of my plan is bombard the planet, a very imperial thing to do. Now, I have three options. Military, which targets military targets, Civilian which targets structures, and general which hits both. Hitting and blowing up a production structure, like a construction yard or a mine means a sector wide reputation drop. HOWEVER blowing up troops gives you a boost. So, I killed the two troops, and Xynique no longer has smuggling losses! This game can be stupid

Brief interlude, Darth Recruits this guy, who will be a general until we get a shipyard, then pumping out ship designs

Not!Boba and the droids are off to get me intel, as are Ozzel and Needa

Woo! A diplomat. He’s sent to Uvena to get me that shipyard.

Hooray! I had enough troops with detection to catch the rebels in the act. Didn’t capture them, but it’s a good thing it was stopped because Tralus is a. Most susceptible to uprising, and b. has my only shipyard at this time.

Piett did very well, so I am sending him to Mon Calamari which has a shipyard

Ozzel and Needa were successful. Usually a good espionage mission will also get you intel on a second system, so an easy way to cheese the game can be to park your fleet above an enemy system with no defenses and run constant espionage missions on it to learn what your enemy has

Hooray, Rebel Generics specops. The Guerillas are in-transit which means they will need to run the blockade. They won’t make it I am betting. The infiltrators are being built. If they being build here on Drall, they will never be built because production stops with blockades. If elsewhere, they will need to run the blockade too. So, what can they do? The guerrillas are pretty useless. They can either incite or subdue uprisings, which is situational at best. The infiltrators are much better. They can abduct, rescue or sabotage. But this also confirms there are no real characters to abduct so I send Ozzel and Needa to incite uprising. Which is step 3. Basically send all standard issue imperials on a troopless planet to make it switch to us bloodlessly

Corfai is my next target when I get the fighter strength back up on my fleet

I get this notification when enemy systems are disloyal, or when your incite uprising mission is succeeding, you get this. It’s basically an espionage mission that only gives you info about one system. More handy as an indicator it’s working

Back at Coruscant we get this guy and I get a dilemma. I could keep him around and send him to do troop training with Veers, thereby getting it done fast and Veers into jedi training faster. Alternatively, I could get him researching buildings right away. I put him to building research because I don’t have anyone else capable of yet.

Sweet! I grab Averam and send Veers to hop on it right away. Hopefully I get the other troop researcher soon

And immediately, I am creating a dirty tricks squad of commandos to blow poo poo up. They can run sabotage, incite and subdue uprising missions which is useful.

State of the Galaxy as it stands.

Here we go, I get some bonus intel on Sluis Van. If I had a fleet there, I could do some serious damage. Alas, I am not. That being said, it’s more telling there is no characters there, and no fleet.

Anyways, the first 50 days are done. Check out the ship and character analysis post, send me some challenges, and go ahead and claim some ships and fleet names!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Characters and ships update 1:Starting forces

Characters, Imperial

Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker, Whiny Bitch, guy who hates sand

This is pre-prequel Vader. All the menace, none of the whiny bitchiness. In this game, he’s a genuine beast, and I’d argue best character either faction. High in all four stats, with force powers to boot. He is the only imperial capable of detecting latent force in your team, and the only one who can train new jedi. He is also one of two who can recruit, the other being Sheev. He is also a victory condition to capture. I like to use his diplo skills early, then transition him to hanging out with anybody he determines to be force sensitive and doing whatever missions are needed.

Choice Quote from the Encylopedia:(As Vader, Darth.) “Though he was the personification of the evil and free that Emperor Palpatine used to rule the galaxy…”

Emperor Palpatine AKA Sheev Palpatine, David Bowie, Weedlord Space Hitler

Ah Emperor Palpatine, everyone’s favourite villain (in theory). Honestly, the only missions you should running him on are recruitment missions on Coruscant, or Diplomacy on Coruscant if it isn’t 100% loyal. Why do you ask? Why handicap yourself, and keep two of your lose objectives together like this? Because when P. Dizzle is on Coruscant every imperial with a leadership trait gets a boost of 50. Which is huge in this game. Side note, although he is listed as a Jedi Master, he cannot detect latent force in your characters, nor do training missions. He can only detect
enemy force users on the same planet. Otherwise, since he has to stay on Coruscant, I’d have him run constant training there. Emperor Palpatine’s school for gifted Children essentially.

Choice Quote from the Encyclopedia:”Evil incranate, Palpatine imposed a reign of terror as he ruled the galaxy for years”

Admiral Ozzel AKA Chokey McIncompetent
Admiral Ozzel. What can I say about you? Um, you were the guy who brought the fleet too close to Hoth and got choked out by Vader. In game, he has high combat, espionage, and leadership(?). This a pattern, so in future, I’ll refer to them as standard issue imperial. Strangely enough, I find that he is more often than not force sensitive, so I dunno what’s going on there.

Choice Quote from the Encylopedia: “Admiral Ozzel was contempous of the rebel alliance and didn’t see it as a creidble threat. His contempt led to sloppiness.”

Captain Needa AKA reasonable authority figure, Leonard Nimoy impersonator
He’s the dude who took over from Ozzel after the auto-erotic asphyxiation went wrong. He lost the Falcon in the asteroid belt, and instead of having vader kill an underling or an entire crew, he sacrificed himself to Vader’s wrath. What a guy. In game? Standard Issue

General Veers AKA Walker-Stompa, Grand Maester Pycelle (No, really)
He’s the general who led the AT-AT assault on Hoth, and blew up nice stuff. Never Seen again. Anyways, in game, his only good stat is Leadership. He can, however, research Troops. This puts him in what I call researchers, who can research one thing, and have one or no good skills after. SInce troops have the least amount of research needed, I tend to use his as a general on Coruscant after, for the detection bonus. Note, in this game only, he is force sensitive, so I could, when research is done, waste my time training him up to standard issue level, I guess?

Choice Quote from the Encyclopedia: He was later betrayed by his son Zev who joined the alliance

Captain Piett AKA I think this joke has run this course.
The third guy who takes command in ESB, he’s still around in ROTJ commanded the Executor, which means he spent a year unchoked by Vader. In game, this is represented by his high diplomacy skill. Send him out there to win over heart and minds. I think he’s the only imperial office to show up in two OT movies.

Moff Jerjerrod
So, this is the dude in charge of building the second death star. Um, he’s a good diplomat? Look, there are some people where there is sweet gently caress all you can say about them.

Zuggs,
So this guy is standard issue. He’s an ugly fug. He’s the random character we got at the start of the game. Only notable thing about his is what corner of the EU he’s from in which he was a strike cruiser commander for Emperor Trioculus. Who had three eyes. And died from robot Leia eye beams. Good times
First Appearance: Jedi Prince series.
Choice Quote from the Encyclopedia EU: I BID YOU DARK GREETINGS! TO THE MOFFERENCE!

Noval Garraint
So, this is our Boba Fett Wannabe, because we don’t actually get Boba. Which kinda sucks. Anyways, he’s good at Combat and Espionage, which is another Archetype I’ll call Saboteur in future. Honestly, unless he’s got force, he looks kinda cool, and can blow stuff up, so use him for that. The other notable thing is that he is our first character from the WEG RPG. Which is pretty cool, and makes me wanna run a d6 game in TG eventually
First Appearance: West End Games RPG supplements.
Choice Quote from the Encyclopedia:No entry

Klev
So, this guy is a researcher, who’s good stat is Leadership (He has a stunning 1 in Combat this game). He is a ship researcher tho, which is pretty great. Afterwards, he’ll def be commanding a garrison somewhere, probably Coruscant. He commanded the World Devastators, and died when R2-D2 hacked them?
First Appearance: Dark Empire
Choice Quote from the Encyclopedia: NO entry

Pter Thanas
Woohoo! A diplomat. So rare for the Imperials. Except, no really? I mean, they start with 3 pretty much, and they do have quite a few, so it’s not really fair to say they are hobbled there. Anyways, Pter is decent, has good diplomacy and Leadership skills, so will always be useful.
First Appearance: Truce at Bakura

Bevel Lemelisk
This guy is the one who designed pretty much every stupid superweapon the empire had. With the easily exploited flaws….Anyways, this guy is our uber-researcher. Each side gets one, the rebels getting Adar Tallon, and us getting him. As you can see, his stats are utter poo poo, so unless he has force powers, he’s useless when research is done. I tend to use him as bait tbh.
First Appearance: Darksaber, where he builds a lovely death star for the hutts, then gets captured and eventually executed

Characters: Rebel

Mon Mothma
The leader of the Rebels, and someone we need to capture. She’s got high diplomacy and leadership, and not so great other skills. She is one of 4 rebels who can recruit. Rule of thumb, anyone with a voice clip can recruit. So, no chewie, no Lando, which is bullshit. Billy Dee Williams can use the cash, he needs to buy colt 45 dammit!....sorry

Jan Dodonna
Rebel General, who is seen during ANH in the Yavin Briefing Room. Wears the Purina Logo. Good diplomat, decent Leadership, otherwise, kinda boring. You start with him, send him off to a neutral system to convert, and forget about him

Wedge Antilles AKA Wedge Motherfucking Antilles
Rebel Pilot. Best pilot in the goddamned Galaxy. He doesn’t need your force skills to shoot you down. My favourite character period end of discussion. Anyways, in game he good at combat, espionage, leadership, and can do ship research! Worth his weight in gold.

Chewbacca
R’aaaaaawrrrrrrrr.

….Ok, so for real, Chewie is good for combat and espionage. Sadly, he doesn’t get voice clips, so uh, gently caress you game.

Han Solo
Han is here, in all his handsome Harrison Ford glory. He’s not too old for this yet, and he’s still alive. Good at espionage, combat and Leadership (Although, I keep find his leadership sucks sometimes). He has a special rule that makes him super useful.He, and any characters moving with him, are assumed to be flying the falcon, which means trips take half as long. That is great for getting off Yavin at the start of the game.

Leia Organa
Princess of Alderaan, leader of the rebellion, total daddy’s girl. Leia is really good at diplomacy and leadership, and ok at leadership. When Luke gets the special event which we all remember, he can immediately tell Leia, and she immediately gets the force. When she does, her stat growth for diplomacy goes through the loving roof. Like, legit, have finished games with her at 300 diplo which is nuts

Luke Skywalker AKA Farm Boy, (gently caress you this joke is great), space Redneck
So, Luke. He’s a great character in the game. He starts off with ok stats in all areas. But, he can use the Force they say. About a couple hundred days in, assuming he wasn’t captured, he’ll gently caress off to Dagobah for about 100 days. When he gets back, he becomes a beast. Increased stats, plus ability to find other force sensitives and train them. He, and Leia, have a unique rule, wherein if they fail a mission for any reason, they grow in the force. Each time they do, they also increase their stats by two points. At the end of the day, he ends up with more than one 200+ stat if you do it right.

Imperial Vessels

Carrack Cruiser
Cost:26 Shields: 200
Fighters: 0 Hull: 1000
Troops :0 Bombard: 1
Front Side Aft
Turbo 5 15 5
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 60 90 60

Basically, your standard go to small picket ship. Mainly good at hitting starfighters, it also has some turbolasers so it can still do some damage to big ships.
First Appearance: Heir to the Empire
Rebel Counterpart: Corellian Corvette. I’d say better that the rebel version, because a. Has some punch against bigger ships, and B. Rebel starfighters pose a bigger threat than Imperial. Also, the Bulk Cruiser the rebels get. Which are also terrible.

Death Star:
Not unless asked to build one by a challenge. Seriously, waste of resources. Looks cool, and poo poo, but nope.

Galleon
Cost:10 Shields: 100
Fighters: 0 Hull: ?
Troops :2 Bombard: 0
Front Side Aft
Turbo 0 0 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 0 0

The early game troop transport for the Empire. Can only carry two troops, and is gunless. By the time you have build up your manufacturing to give you troops for invasions, you’ll likely have researched better ships. Or, you can hold 3 troops on a regular star destroyer or 2 on a victory. Therefore, much better options. You start off with one or two of these. (Also, side note, I guess the graphic and game designers weren’t on the same page. It looks like it has chin guns)
First Appearance: This Game
Rebel Counterparts: This is one of those fabulous ships that have two. First is the Medium Transport. It costs the same, can carry 2 troops...oh and has guns. It has some laser cannons, which means they can shoot down tie fighters, which makes them immediately superior to the galleon. The other counterpart is the bulk transport. Which is also gunless. But can carry 6 troops, which makes it the biggest transport in the game excepting the top of the tech tree. Either way, both are superior

Imperial Dreadnought
Cost:44 Shields: 200
Fighters: 1 Hull: 1200
Troops :2 Bombard: 1
Front Side Aft
Turbo 40 70 20
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 0 0

The Imperial Dread is a fun ship. You can easily build some early game fleets out of them for cheap. I like using them. Keep in mind, fighter defense is key, because they are very weak against fighters. Either make sure you have enough TIEs with em, or at least a carrack or two
First Appearance: Thrawn Trilogy

Rebel Counterpart: Alliance Dreadnought. Exact same stat line. The Rebel one is of course better, because their fighters are just plain better

Imperial Escort Carrier
Cost:34 Shields: 200
Fighters: 6 Hull: 1000
Troops :0 Bombard: 0
Front Side Aft
Turbo 0 0 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 30 60 30

The escort Carrier. Very good early game, decent mid game and I still find uses for this in the endgame. Cheapest way to get 6 fighter squadrons on the field, and pretty good as a counter to Rebel fighters.
First appearance: Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Rebel counterpart: Alliance Escort Carrier. Again, superior due to Rebel fighter supremacy

Imperial Star Destroyer
Cost:112 Shields: 300
Fighters: 6 Hull: 2750
Troops :3 Bombard: 2
Front Side Aft
Turbo 100 60 40
Ion 100 40 40
Laser 0 0 0

Ah yes, the Star Destroyer. Big heavy starship. Flagship of your forces. Even late game they are pretty respectable. They can be a fleet by themselves, as long as they have a full fighter bay. Even then, on defense, make sure the planet has multiple squadrons, and trust the heavy stuff to it. Love these things.
First Appearance: Right after the opening crawl, making us nerd boys poo poo our pants
Rebel Counterpart: Mon Calamari cruiser. Not unlocked at start of the game. The Mon cal is cheaper, but had less fighters (3 to 6), less hull and different arrangement of guns. The ImpStar has more ion cannons, but less turbolasers in the prefered facing. While the ImpStar is forward firing, the mon cal goes for broadsides. Hard to say which is better

Victory Star Destroyer
Cost:68 Shields: 200
Fighters: 2 Hull: 1800
Troops :2 Bombard: 4
Front Side Aft
Turbo 120 100 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 0 0

The Victory is the lesser brother of the Imperial. Still pretty good, and a couple of them anchor a good battlefleet. They are stronger at broadsides, but lack ion cannons and need fighter support, since they only carry two apiece. Where they really shine is bombardment. They have double the bombardment strength of the Imperial.
First Appearance: Han Solo’s Revenge
Rebel Counterpart: Nebulon B frigate. The Neb B is also not unlocked at the start of the game, but the rebels get it so quick, it’s academic. In a one on one, the Victory would win. If you need to go down this road, two neb bs per Victory is my best bet.

Tie Fighter

Cost: 3 Laser: 5
Ion: 0 Torps: No
Shields: No Hyperdrive: No

The only fighter available at the start of the game for the Imperials. The TIE Fighter is cheap. That’s it’s main strength. Can be built fast and in large numbers. Very good for swarms. Basically, when facing rebels, strive for a 2:1 ratio at minimum, 3:1 if you can.
First Appearance: A New Hope
Rebel counterpart: The mighty x-wing. The x-wing has shields, hyperdrive, and torpedos. The tie fighter doesn’t even compare. Like I said, bare minimum, 2:1 ratio.

Rebel Ships

Alliance Dreadnought
Cost:44 Shields: 200
Fighters: 1 Hull: 1200
Troops :2 Bombard: 1
Front Side Aft
Turbo 40 70 20
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 0 0

See Imperial Dreadnought

Alliance Escort Carrier
Cost:32 Shields: 200
Fighters: 6 Hull: 900
Troops :0 Bombard: 0
Front Side Aft
Turbo 0 0 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 30 60 0

See imperial escort carrier. Side note, one of these, with a 4 x wings and 2 wings can take down an Imperial Star Destroyer if you do it right. They punch above their weight class so much it’s not even funny.
First Appearance: Truce at Bakura. Where the crew fight evil soul-stealing dinosaurs

Bulk Cruiser
Cost:30 Shields: 200
Fighters: 0 Hull: 1200
Front Side Aft
Turbo 15 30 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 0 0

Garbage. Build dreads instead. You’ll start off with some of these. I use the starter ones as cannon fodder, and then never build more. If they could carry fighters they might be better, but otherwise, gently caress that.
First Appearance: Thrawn Trilogy. In that they were described as being retrofitted as carriers. In that way, they’d actually be loving useful!

Bulk Transport
Cost:24 Shields: 200
Fighters: 0 Hull: 600
Troops :6 Bombard: 0
Front Side Aft
Turbo 0 0 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 0 0

The gunless transport for the Rebels. So much better. Can carry 6 troops, so use them as the second wave in an invasion, bringing the ground pounders to uh, pound the ground.
First Appearance: Thrawn Trilogy (Notice a pattern)

Corellian Corvette
Cost:14 Shields: 200
Fighters: 0 Hull: 500
Front Side Aft
Turbo 0 0 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 120 120 90

You know, I like these. They have a lot of laser power, so can swat Ties easily, and are relatively cheap. I also use em for Spec-ops transits. I recommend running em.

First Appearance: Getting the poo poo kicked outta it after the opening crawl.

Medium Transport
Cost:10 Shields: 100
Fighters: 0 Hull: 360
Troops :2 Bombard: 0
Front Side Aft
Turbo 0 0 0
Ion 0 0 0
Laser 0 30 0

Like a Galleon with guns. Honestly, I’d go with the bulk transport instead, but you start the game with some, so use em for scouting out the outer rim and grabbing planets.
First Appearance: Empire Strikes Back

X-wing
Cost: 5 Laser: 8
Ion: 0 Torps: Yes
Shields: Yes Hyperdrive: Yes

The incom t-65 X-wing. Goddamn marvel of engineering. Also very good in game. Can pop tie fighters like zits. Can also go against capital ships with the torps as soon as the shields are down. All around a good rounder. I like using them in a 2:1 ratio with y wings at the start of the game, for garrisons and for fleets. Is still good til the end game
First Appearance: Wedge motherfucking Antilles blowing up his first of two death stars, with whiny hick getting all the credit

Y-wing
Cost: 5 Laser: 5
Ion: 3 Torps: Yes
Shields:Yes Hyperdrive: Yes

Primary Bomber. Can cause headaches and take down enemy capitals by ioning down the shields, then torping the hell of out them. That being said, can hold their own in dogfighters too, thanks to the shields. Keep some in your fleets and garrisons.
First Appearance: Dying horrible in the death star trenches
Imperial Counterpart: TIE Bombers. Not yet available. Basically, the bomber is like the y-wing without shields or hyperdrive. The shields alone make the y-wing better.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, we'll see if the AI can work against you, or is it doomed to fail.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This is the best game ever :colbert:

(Not really, but its still great)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This.

It's been quite a while since Pander's awesome LP. Looking forward to this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

grandalt posted:

Well, we'll see if the AI can work against you, or is it doomed to fail.

Well, not saying much, but it is idiotic enough to build bulk cruisers so there we go.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Angry Lobster posted:

This.

It's been quite a while since Pander's awesome LP. Looking forward to this.
Gotta admit, my love is built on a bedrock of nostalgia. But have played it so much these days.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, not saying much, but it is idiotic enough to build bulk cruisers so there we go.

Gotta admit, my love is built on a bedrock of nostalgia. But have played it so much these days.

Nostalgia be damned, its a great game! :argh:

Will you be showing off how to cheese the game for super early wins?

Well, maybe not super early, but still fast wins.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That is on the challenge list yes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

That is on the challenge list yes.

Will you be making a list somewhere so I don't recommend stuff already in? :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I will whip a Google doc tomorow and post it before the next update

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

While I can't profess to have had any serious skill at playing Rebellion, it's definitely a game that lends itself well to producing anecdotes worthy of an LP.

Looking forward to future updates! :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is a great game. I like both factions a lot. The Imperials have better capital ships at the start of the game, and their capital ships look cooler. They also have Thrawn.

On the other hand, I loved exploring all the outer sectors as the Rebels and moving around my mobile headquarters a lot, even if it wasn't necessary. I liked the role-playing aspect of it.

I'm looking forward to what kind of challenges goons will throw at you, bunnyofdoom.

(Aren't you the dude who worked for the Trudeau campaign in the general election?)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah same with the nostalgia and soft spot overriding the fact that this game is mostly just average. Looking forward to this LP though!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

"You would do well to heed my advice!"

That quote has etched itself upon my soul :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think I'll be following this thread.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Oh nice, a Rebellion LP!
I played this game a lot as a kid and even managed to win a few times. :keke:
I do hope that you will build a Death Star eventually in the main run just because it's the Death Star, even if you could use the resources to build a lot of other more versatile stuff. :v:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Oh man, ground floor on this one. Been wanting to see a Rebellion LP

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh, nice. I was given this game as a kid but never figured out how to play the thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's been ages since I even thought of Star Wars: Rebellion.

I can't wait. :allears:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

This game plays a bit like Crusader Kings 2 in space, except without a focus on generational dynasties and without a lot of convenience features - understandable given the 15 year age difference.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The escort Carrier. Very good early game, decent mid game and I still find uses for this in the endgame. Cheapest way to get 6 fighter squadrons on the field, and pretty good as a counter to Rebel fighters.
First appearance: Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Rebel counterpart: Alliance Escort Carrier. Again, superior due to Rebel fighter supremacy

Rebel fighter supremacy is real, to a lesser degree even in the late game when you unlock the fancier TIEs. Let me tell you a little story. I played this before youtube was around so if I wanted to see an ending I'd have to play it out myself. I wanted to see the Rebels Lose ending cutscene so I went ahead and used the most suicidal tactics possible to quickly hammer out a loss. I'll spoil this since it gets into some mechanics and in-game surprises. I put the Rebel base in the core systems, Mon Mothma tried to sabotage an ISD and Luke was sent on non-stop espionage missions to Coruscant to get his rear end captured. If I lose the base, Mon and Luke I lose the game and see the cutscene. Thing is Luke has a little quirk where if he escapes a harrowing Mission Foiled by a hair he grows much stronger in the force, which is reflected in an enhancement to his stats and force ranking. He escaped every single suicide mission I put him on. Worse still was another Luke quirk - the first time he encounters Vader or Palpatine he learns of his true heritage and again grows much stronger in the force. Every time he encounters them afterwards he also gets a bit stronger. Not only had I failed to get Luke captured by sending him right to Palpatine's doorstep but I had inadvertently turned him into a character monster.

Yet another Luke quirk is that at some random point he goes to Dagobah to train with Yoda wherein he gets another giant boost to his force rating and stats. In my reckless hurry to get Luke captured I had turned him into a monstrosity with like 200+ stats before he had even gone to Yoda to say hello, For comparison, someone great at a particular stat usually has around 100 while Vader's best stats are around 150 to represent his special cool (Thrawn sometimes spawns with ~180 Leadership for similar reasons). Luke comes back from Yoda utterly invincible as far as the game crunch is concerned with his last boost. The last relevant quirk is that there's an event called The Final Battle that can be initiated if Luke, Vader and Palpatine are on the same planet and Luke knows of his heritage and has trained with Yoda - it's normally initiated when Luke is captured. If Vader wins the final battle Luke is semi-permanently captured but if Luke wins, he captures both Vader and Palpatine.

On Luke's Nth suicide mission he returns with Vader's and Sheev's heads right on a silver platter thereby ruining every single plan I had to get him captured. At this point with 2 of the 3 rebel objectives completed I decide I might as well see the Rebels Win ending cinematic instead. The issue is that I had not been playing strategically so I had no real force to take Coruscant with to round off the last objective. The best I can do is build some escort carriers, load them up with x-wings and hope they can defeat the rapidly consolidating imperial fleet protecting Coruscant. They do, they beat like a half dozen capital ships. Starfighters can absolutely rock caps that don't have anti-starfighter guns or their own starfighter bubblewrap. I still need to take the planet itself and that takes time without a prepared force so this dinky little fleet has to stand-guard and repel all comers. They do. The Empire has to nominally outgun your starfighters 2:1 or 3:2 late game to win and that simply cannot be done using the space available on their capital ships. It's a real issue with game balance that's partly addressed by most rebel ships having a weaker starfighter bay capacity to their counterparts. My rinky dink fleet easily holds back the imperial tide while Luke, the monster that he's become, individually destroys every stroomtrooper regiment protecting Coruscant so I can successfully invade it with one troop. I do and I get the cinematic.

I win a game I had absolutely no right nor intent to. :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

Rebel fighter supremacy is real, to a lesser degree even in the late game when you unlock the fancier TIEs.

As I understand it, this is partially because the X-Wing is not only a very, very good fighter, it also carries anti-capital ship torpedoes because why wouldn't it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Some of those spoiled things I mentioned in the character thing. Also yes, even top tier tie is a little inferior but we'll cover than when I get there.

Edit: and purposely losing is on the challenge list.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cythereal posted:

As I understand it, this is partially because the X-Wing is not only a very, very good fighter, it also carries anti-capital ship torpedoes because why wouldn't it.

They are good, versatile fighters with a FTL drive, so they can operate without capital ships, and thank god because early rebel capital ships sucks. Also it's relatively cheap to build and maintain.

hard counter posted:

I put the Rebel base in the core systems, Mon Mothma tried to sabotage an ISD and Luke was sent on non-stop espionage missions to Coruscant to get his rear end captured. If I lose the base, Mon and Luke I lose the game and see the cutscene. Thing is Luke has a little quirk where if he escapes a harrowing Mission Foiled by a hair he grows much stronger in the force, which is reflected in an enhancement to his stats and force ranking. He escaped every single suicide mission I put him on. Worse still was another Luke quirk - the first time he encounters Vader or Palpatine he learns of his true heritage and again grows much stronger in the force. Every time he encounters them afterwards he also gets a bit stronger. Not only had I failed to get Luke captured by sending him right to Palpatine's doorstep but I had inadvertently turned him into a character monster.

More often than not, Luck gets hilariously powerful and broken due to that mechanic, once it bugged out on me and I got the stat upgrade 15+ times in a single mission, he end up with 400s something stats in combat and espionage, it was amazing.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

^e: I've heard of Luke getting to the 500s but I've only broken around 400 myself as well iirc.

Cythereal posted:

It's also cost effective and easy to maintain. A 5 to 3 materials cost, X-wing to TIE Fighter, is not a 2:1 as you'd expect from their effectiveness. Its maintenance cost is 4 to the TIE's 3 which is amazing because I normally find the maintenance pool to be the real bottleneck in limiting fleet size.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 6, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

They are good, versatile fighters with a FTL drive, so they can operate without capital ships, and thank god because early rebel capital ships sucks. Also it's relatively cheap to build and maintain.

More often than not, Luck gets hilariously powerful and broken due to that mechanic, once it bugged out on me and I got the stat upgrade 15+ times in a single mission, he end up with 400s something stats in combat and espionage, it was amazing.

Actually they do need a capital ship to carry them for attacking.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oooops, you're right, forgot about that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ahh, Rebellion

Not a great game. But decent. Mostly.

that said, I'd say late game, the Empire is stronger than the Rebellion. Both in space, and on the ground.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is true, however hyperdrive fighters will start the battle deployed (I assume the idea is the fleet stops a few minutes out, launches all its fighters, and then they all hyperspace into battle together). Which is actually a big advantage, since fighters launch one at a time and pretty slowly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've never played this game before, but I've been known to enjoy a Star Wars game here or there. I'm interested in seeing this one in action since it's one of the old games I missed completely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Bremen posted:

This is true, however hyperdrive fighters will start the battle deployed (I assume the idea is the fleet stops a few minutes out, launches all its fighters, and then they all hyperspace into battle together). Which is actually a big advantage, since fighters launch one at a time and pretty slowly.

Stop spoiling mechanics I was gonna go into! (But actually, my next bonus post following the next update will be an in depth look at space combat.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Side note, although he is listed as a Jedi Master, he cannot detect latent force in your characters, nor do training missions. He can only detect
enemy force users on the same planet. Otherwise, since he has to stay on Coruscant, I’d have him run constant training there. Emperor Palpatine’s school for gifted Children essentially.

Is such a thing changeable? More to the point, you mention you'll eventually be running a mod. Does it change this?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

CHALLENGE LIST

Entries in Bold are currently being done
Entries with a strikeout have been completed
Entries which are italicized and strikeouted have been determined to be unfeasible, undoable, or just plain silly. They may still be done if I get drunk and decide to video record
Names in () are people who suggested this challenge\

DEATH STAR(radintorov)
Purposely Losing(Hard Counter)
One ship challenge
Wolf-Pack
One building per planet
No research
No Recruitment
No Jedi
Hard Mode
Large Galaxy
Fastest win possible (Jobbo Fett)
Beast-Mode Luke
First order challenge
Playing 1998 style AKA when Bunnyofdoom was a kid and had no real idea how game mechanics worked
New Canon challenge (radintorov)
INVASION STYLE (Wedgekree, Hard Counter)
Rebel Alliance Movers (Jobbo Fett)
No one to write the obituaries (Jobbo Fett)
Chickens without heads (Jobbo Fett)
Outgrown such silly superstitions (Cythereal)
Mahanian challenge - no fighters (my dad)
Go outside and get some fresh air (also my dad)
Pickets Only (Jobbo Fett)
The Swarm (koolkevz666)
Protected by a Shield Screen (Veloxyll)
You have failed me for the last time (OddHaberdasher)
An Earth Shattering Kaboom (poptarts ninja)
Just Missed Them(Cross-Section)
Making a Stand(Cross-Section)
Greed Will Keep The Local Systems In Line (Bacon In A Wok)
"You Bumbling Fools!" (PoptartsNinja)

Again, submit new challenges by posting ITT, PMing me, or emailing me at username@gmail.com

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 8, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Torrannor posted:

This is a great game. I like both factions a lot. The Imperials have better capital ships at the start of the game, and their capital ships look cooler. They also have Thrawn.

On the other hand, I loved exploring all the outer sectors as the Rebels and moving around my mobile headquarters a lot, even if it wasn't necessary. I liked the role-playing aspect of it.

I'm looking forward to what kind of challenges goons will throw at you, bunnyofdoom.

(Aren't you the dude who worked for the Trudeau campaign in the general election?)

I am indeed. Which means, I am used to bullshit challenges and overcoming slow starts. And alcoholism.(Parliament is outta session, and I got a surplus of free time, which is why I am doing this.)

Bloodly posted:

Is such a thing changeable? More to the point, you mention you'll eventually be running a mod. Does it change this?

As far I know, no. The Mod, known as RebEd is more of a save game editor. I'll go into more detail if I actually do it, but basically, it modifies stats, states, and other fun things. I can even change character names and portraits. I'll see if A. I can get it to work on my computer, and B. with GoG Rebellion copy, and will wait til I finish most challenges. I will check of course if Palp can use his force powers.

EDIT: I am hoping to have the next update up by Monday. Keep submitting your challenges guys.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Oh nice, I love giant impractical death-weapons. :allears:
Also I started playing the game as well: now that I know how the game actually works (unlike all those years ago) is a pretty nice change. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

radintorov posted:

Oh nice, I love giant impractical death-weapons. :allears:
Also I started playing the game as well: now that I know how the game actually works (unlike all those years ago) is a pretty nice change. :v:

Actual tip: Hit ctrl to select multiple people. Also, 2:1 ration on decoys is great.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actual tip: Hit ctrl to select multiple people. Also, 2:1 ration on decoys is great.
Oh yes, this is a Very Important thing to keep in mind for anyone that also wants to play the game along this LP.
Many spies and saboteurs died without achieving much before I found out about it by accident all those years ago. Now they can die to ensure that the mission succeeds. :v:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Super excited about this. Played the game way too much as an idiot kid who didn't understand all the game mechanics, still made a couple of multiplayer top 50 lists since it was never that popular online.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is that 2:1 as in two decoys for one actual operative, or the other way around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
This was my saturday go to game when I was a kid and didn't really know how it worked. Looking forward to this.

• Locked thread