Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

Noticing the crossbow lady moving on her own, I quietly follow behind her to see what she's doing. Watching her check the bookshelves, I start to wordlessly check as well, curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

"Hmph. Plenty of space, yet naught of use. Seems like the wee spirits are toying with us," Moira said as she moved to the stairs, " let's see to the bairn."

She walked upstairs, stopping once she had a view of the room at their end.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

8. LIBRARY

Yveth and Fee search the bookcase and after a few moments discover a red covered book with a blank spine.

Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

"That's funny... what's this book?"

Intrigued, I pull the book from the shelf and begin to flip through its pages.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

8. LIBRARY

Fee attempts to pull the book free to look through it, but when she pulls the book it seems to trigger a mechanism. And the bookcase pops open revealing a secret room.

9. SECRET ROOM

This secret room contains bookshelves packed with tomes..

A heavy wooden chest with clawed iron feet stands against the south wall, its lid half-closed. Sticking out of the chest is a skeleton in leather armor.

Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Surprised by the sudden sight of the skeleton, I jam one of my pitons into the secret doorway, realizing that it had begun to close when I let go of the red book. Creeping into the room, I carefully examined the chest, trying to determine if it was dangerous is in any fashion. Behind me, I could hear Marcos' armor as he clanked inwards.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

9. SECRET ROOM

Close inspection reveals that the skeleton belongs to a human who triggered a poisoned dart trap. Three darts are stuck in the dead adventurer's armor and ribcage. The dart-firing mechanism inside the chest no longer functions. Clutched in the skeleton's left hand is a letter bearing a seal, which the adventurer tried to remove from the chest.

Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Helping Marcos shift the body into the library where it's less cramped, his much shortened prayer fills my ears as I break the seal and unfurl the letter. I had listened to a few hymns and haws in my years, but never really paid them much mind. Yet here in this place, somehow it gave me a greater sense of peace than usual.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

9. SECRET ROOM

Written in flowing script,
the letter reads as follows:

My most pathetic servant, I am not a messiah sent to you by the Dark Powers of this land. I have not come to lead you on a path to immortality. However many souls you have bled on your hidden altar, however many visitors you have tortured in your dungeon, know that you are not the ones who brought me to this beautiful land. You are but worms writhing in my earth.

You say that you are cursed, your fortunes spent. You abandoned love for madness, took solace in the bosom of another woman, and sired a stillborn son. Cursed by darkness? Of that I have no doubt. Save you from your wretchedness? I think not. I much prefer you as you are.

Your dread lord and master,
Strahd van Zarovich

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Marcos finishes his prayer and moves over to examine the letter. He frowns. Strange letter. Dread lord and master? We're caught up in something horrible. Fee, if you don't mind, I'll check the rest of the chest. It might offer more clues to the nature of this manor.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

9. SECRET ROOM

Marcos opens the chest the rest of the way and takes a look inside.

The chest contains three blank books with black leather covers (worth 25 gp each), three spell scrolls (bless, protection from poison, and spiritual weapon), the deed to the house, the deed to a windmill, and a signed will. The will is signed by Gustav and Elisabeth Durst and bequeathes the house, the windmill, and all other family property to Rosavalda and Thornboldt Durst in the event of their parents' deaths.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

I find it unlikely that the masters of the house are still living. I'll take these wills and make an attempt to return them to the proper owners. These scrolls and books will likely come in handy as well, if someone wants them.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Oh, I can take the rest. Um, unless someone else wants them."

The books seemed as if they were worth a fair price, assuming I lived long enough to pawn it off. As for the scrolls... I couldn't read them, but they gave me a sense of comfort.

Thinking of books, I was reminded that there were still tomes within the secret room that we had yet to examine. Tidying my increasingly cluttered pack, I quickly step back in to search through the shelves.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 14, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

9. SECRET ROOM

Fee takes a look at the tomes, leafing through them for a bit. The tomes seem to be describing fiend-summoning rituals and the necromantic rituals of a cult called the Priests of Osybus. But Fee has only glanced through the books, it would take a more thorough reading to get anything more from them.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

We've spent enough time here. Let's move upstairs. We can look at these books later. Marcos eyes the books with disgust.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

11. BALCONY

Characters who climb the red marble staircase to its full height come to a dusty balcony with a suit of black plate armor standing against one wall, draped in cobwebs.

Oil lamps are mounted on the oak-paneled walls, which are carved with woodland scenes of trees, falling leaves, and tiny critters.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

More doors, but I feel we're almost at the end of it. They said there was a child up here, yes? Let's try to find the nursery. I'll start with this door.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

11. BALCONY

As Marcos walks past the suit of armor it animates and attempts to pummel him into paste, luckily for him both blows glance off his armor.

Initiative
23 Dan Fei Son :rolldice:
20 Yveth :rolldice:
18 Fee :rolldice:
08 Marcos :rolldice:
08 Animated Armor
07 Red
05 Moira

Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 17/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

Stunned by the sudden animation of the plate armor, I duck low and back into the corner of the hallway, Marcos circling around and parking himself in front of me. Remembering that half our group is still on lower floors, I shakily cry out,

"H, hey! E, everyone, there's a, a moving suit of armor up here! Attacking us!"

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 14, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dan Fei Son
1st Level Monk
9/9 HP

Dan Fei rushes upstairs and jabs her bo staff into the animate armor, following up with a punch that she feels as much as the armor.

"KIYAH!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

11. BALCONY

Dan Fei puts a bunch of massive dents in the magically animated plate mail. The armor attempts to batter Marcos but fails. Then a combined effort from Yveth and Marcos crushes the armor. More so than they expected as the armor seems to implode on itself, leaving nothing left.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Marcos sheathes his sword and moves to the door he moved to open earlier. He tries to hide a small smile on his face. Now, let's see this door....

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

11. BALCONY

Marcos opens the west door.

15. NURSEMAID'S SUITE

Dust and cobwebs shroud an elegantly appointed bedroom (area 15A), and an adjoining door. Double doors set with panes of stained glass.

A specter manifests and attacks when he opens the door to the nursery. The specter resembles a terrified, skeletally thin young woman.

Initiative
19 Fee :rolldice:
14 Dan Fei Son :rolldice:
10 Marcos :rolldice:
09 Red :rolldice:
07 Yveth :rolldice:
07 Specter
06 Moira

Map

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

15. NURSEMAID'S SUITE

The party has some trouble connecting with the specter, though the occasional hit passes through with little impact. But the specter reaches out and touches Red, who feels like her life was ripped from her. But she remains standing. Meanwhile Dan Fei Son leaps over Red and the specter and shreds the ghostly woman's incorporeal form with a mighty staff blow.

The group finally has the chance to get a better look at the room.

The bedroom contains a large bed, two end tables, and an empty wardrobe. Mounted on the wall next to the wardrobe is a full-length mirror with an ornate wooden frame carved to look like ivy and berries. And of course there is a cobweb covered door, as well as a stained glass door.

Red blows off some steam by smashing the mirror, then as rage washes away leans against its remains. And falls down as the mirror and wall behind it give way to reveal a secret door. It pushes open easily to reveal a cobweb-filled wooden staircase leading up to the attic.

Fee listens at the cobwebbed door, but hears nothing, she then opens it revealing an adjoining nursery (area 15B). The nursery contains a crib covered with a hanging black shroud.

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 17/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

Staying away from Red as she lashes out with rage, or possibly spite, I try out the cobwebbed door after listening first to ensure there's nothing on the other side.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 14, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

15. NURSEMAID'S SUITE

Fee goes to peek into the crib and when she parts the shroud, she sees a tightly wrapped, baby-sized bundle lying in the crib. She picks up the swaddled bundle, and opens it up, to find nothing. Once unwrapped the blankets fall apart as if they were never wrapped around anything.

Then she and Red go to check the stained glass windows.

Double doors set with panes of stained glass pull open to reveal a balcony (area 15C) overlooking the front of the house. Opening the doors reveals just the mists. But luckily the mists don't seem to enter.

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 1

Though the mist gave me a bad feeling, I was curious to see if there was anything of interest out on the balcony. Thinking that, I stepped out, holding my breath as I glanced about. However, except for a glimpse of the attic that we seemed to have found a stairway to earlier, I could spot nothing.

Suddenly, my breath seized, and the mist began to fill my lungs. I ran back into the house, coughing as I did so.

"Found...nothing..."

Point of exhaustion from the mist.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 14, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

Marcos moves on to the next door, listens to it, but hears nothing so he opens it.

14. STORAGE ROOM

Dusty shelves line the walls of this room. A few of the shelves have folded sheets, blankets, and old bars of soap on them. A cobweb-covered broom leans against the far wall.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

I don't think there's anything dangerous in here. Fee, let's look around.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

14. STORAGE ROOM

Marcos goes to search the storage room, as he nears the broom it suddenly lashes out at him and gives him a painful blow.

Well combat again, everyone is up.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
5 HP | 18 AC

I think that drat thing broke my nose! Marcos swings, but misses as Fee's arrow flies true

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

14. STORAGE ROOM

The broom is splintered and battered, but not quite out, Red moves in to snap it in half. But somehow the broom evades her great strength. The room retaliates. Knocking her down.

Red - As you fall your mind goes dark. You find yourself in a strange land of inky blackness. As you move about, or shout, you hear nothing, you feel nothing. And then you hear them. Voices like the voice of god fill you with warmth and hope.

"Hong Xióng-Hü your time is not yet. You must continue to walk this land. To torment Strahd. And so you are given our gift. Make good use of it."

Then Red wakes, and begins to stand as her wounds heal. Her fatigue vanishes, as if she had a nice restful night's sleep. And then her body twists and reshapes itself.

Her face lengthens and contorts into a wolflike muzzle and the bones in her legs elongate into powerful, canine limbs.

While this increases the character’s speed by 10 ft., the character is often mistaken for a werewolf unless they take special care to conceal their deformities through use of a disguise kit, or the target of a disguise self spell

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
510 HP | 18 AC

As a firebolt sails past Marcos, he throws his weight into a sword strike at the broom. No one can tell what did it in, but it explodes into splinters. As Marcos grimaces, his face still smarting, he turns his attention to the lupine form before him. His shield raised, he awaits an attack from the beast, one that doesn't come. He's heard stories of werewolves before, but this seemed different. Red?

He lowers his shield, not sensing hostility. Werewolves are unholy beasts, meant to be put down. But it felt wrong to him. This was his companion, and she had saved his life. She wasn't hostile. He had questions, and he would need answers before acting.

Marcos walks out of the room and grimaces again. He repaired the damage to his face using the holy gift given to him by Tyr. He would have preferred to save it, but he was presently the only person who was actually injured.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

14. STORAGE ROOM

After healing up Marcos goes to inspect the smaller western door that looks like it leads to a small room.

13. BATHROOM

This dark room contains a wooden tub with clawed feet, a small iron stove with a kettle resting atop it, and a barrel under a spigot in the east wall. A cistern on the roof used to collect rainwater, which was borne down a pipe to the spigot; however, the plumbing no longer works.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
10 HP | 18 AC

Marcos eyes the tub suspiciously, pulls a javelin from his pack, and throws it at the tub.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Nothing happens.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
10 HP | 18 AC

Marcos pulls his javelin out from the tub and after a quick, fruitless search, he moves on to search the east room with the double doors.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

13. BATHROOM

Marcos pokes some things, trying to see if they attack. But none do. Then he goes and opens the double doors.

12. MASTER SUITE

The double doors to this room have dusty panes of stained glass set into them. Designs in the glass resemble windmills.

The dusty, cobweb-filled master bedroom (area 12A) has burgundy drapes covering the windows. Furnishings include a four-poster bed with embroidered curtains and tattered gossamer veils, a matching pair of empty wardrobes, a vanity with a wood-framed mirror and jewelry box, and a padded chair. A rotting tiger-skin rug lies on the floor in front of the fireplace, which has a dust-covered portrait of Gustav and Elisabeth Durst hanging above it. A web-filled parlor in the southwest corner contains a table and two chairs. Resting on the dusty tablecloth is an empty porcelain bowl and a matching jug,

A door facing the foot of the bed has a full-length mirror mounted on it. A door in the parlor leads to another outside balcony (area 12C).

Map

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

"Well, all of this just leaves me trustin' the fixings of this house even less." Moira said. She brushed past her companions and made her way into the master suite. Tempted by the jewelery box, yet fearful of any surprise attacks, she stowed her staff in a strap of her pack and pulled out her crossbow. She took a moment to look down the sight, then fired a bolt at the mirror.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

12. MASTER SUITE

The mirror shatters and nothing else seems to happen. The group searches the room and finds nothing suspicious. Then Marcos finally checks the jewelry box.

The jewelry box on the vanity is made of silver with gold filigree (worth 75 gp). It contains three gold rings (worth 25 gp each) and a thin platinum necklace with a topaz pendant (worth 750 gp).

Map

• Locked thread