Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AARO posted:

Must be really nice to buy clothes in normal stores now.

Good job man.

It's the most ancillary part of any of my days.

Do you want to know what I crave, at the end of my workout routine?

A PB&J.

Yah, I get motivated when My belt starts to get tight, but I also understand that my sit up routine has hit a number greater than the previous.

There is a balance and, if you are properly motivated, you will find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Tom Gorman posted:

Did you get the max nicotine available in the disposables or drip liquid from a shop?

The place I went to goes up to 28mg nicotine before they start cautioning you, a couple pulls of it and I'd get light headed and I was around 1.5 packs a day.

I think the Blus are typically like 6mg.

i tried the disposables and they were mostly bullshit, but they helped occasionally.

then i went and got some big beefy $120 motherfucker at a local shop, and got some high level juice for it. i want to say it was 16 or 18mg, and it helped hit the spot nicotine-wise, but i think the tough part for people like me is that walking out and taking a smoke break with it NOTHING like smoking a cigarette.

breaking the habit of actually physically going out on a break from work or whatever and lighting up a smoke or two is a hell of a lot harder habit to break that just the nicotine aspect, IMO.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Iron Prince posted:

i tried the disposables and they were mostly bullshit, but they helped occasionally.

then i went and got some big beefy $120 motherfucker at a local shop, and got some high level juice for it. i want to say it was 16 or 18mg, and it helped hit the spot nicotine-wise, but i think the tough part for people like me is that walking out and taking a smoke break with it NOTHING like smoking a cigarette.

breaking the habit of actually physically going out on a break from work or whatever and lighting up a smoke or two is a hell of a lot harder habit to break that just the nicotine aspect, IMO.

I'd add to that just the everyday routines. When I go to the kitchen to make dinner, I light a cigarette. When I start the car, I light a cigarette. Those type of things, I can't imagine doing without a smoke.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
yeah, that's exactly it. almost everything involves fitting a smoke in somewhere and it's easy for people to go "LOL JUST DONT SMOKE DURING THOSE TIMES IDIOT!!!" but that ain't how it works even with a replacement like a vape or patches or gum.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Smoking after a meal and smoking while drinking a cup of coffee or a beer were the hardest for me to give up.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

criscodisco posted:

I'd add to that just the everyday routines. When I go to the kitchen to make dinner, I light a cigarette. When I start the car, I light a cigarette. Those type of things, I can't imagine doing without a smoke.

yeah the nicotine is the easy part to break. i sit at a desk all day and getting up to smoke and later vape was the only time I could like...move around at work. i just took vape breaks.

same way with drinking. i hate drinking, hate not being in control of it. but if I'm at home and I don't have something to sip on it just doesn't feel right. not yet at least. "just drink less each day and sip on some lemonade or ice water it's not hard lmao" but poo poo doesn't work that way. tapering can and does work with alcohol but I don't think that's a method that'll work here. maybe it could and I'm just not in the right mindset.

still have a long ways to go. addiction to routine + addiction to a substance is crazy.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 6, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Tom Gorman posted:

still have a long ways to go. addiction to routine + addiction to a substance is crazy.

i have been (attempting at) dialing back my smoking and drinking. while not perfect, i'm down to about a half a pack of day for smokes and i'm not decimating cases of beer daily like i used to. but goddamn losing the routine of it is the worst part. from waking up to winding down at the end of the day smoking and drinking are present for all of it.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

AARO posted:

I know what needs to happen though. 100% super bust out mode. All clean eating. Chicken breast and broccoli. No alcohol. 1 year of that and I'll be back to 170 again. I'm just so loving lazy.

weight loss is the activity you can do by doing nothing. The secret is to become so lazy you don't get up and go to the fridge.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
smoking cigarettes sucks dude you don't even get high

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Zorodius posted:

weight loss is the activity you can do by doing nothing. The secret is to become so lazy you don't get up and go to the fridge.

I go off and on from not smoking pot to being an all-day, every day smoker, and whenever I'm getting stoned all day I lose weight steadily.

Even if I get hungry I still just sit in my Lazy Boy and play Playstation and think about my hunger, it's great.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

smoking cigarettes sucks dude you don't even get high

yeah switch to cocaine etc, imho.

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

AARO posted:

I've been smoking a pack a day since i was 12. I'm definitely going to die when I'm 50 if I don't quit.

However, I love to smoke. It is so glorious. I feel like my dick is being sucked by a magical demon who inserts heroin into my dick as she sucks and pulls me further and further into the pleasant abyss (ala Louis Ck.)

My doc prescribed Wellbutrin but it doesn't work at all. How do I actually quit gibbis?

Wellbutrin is what I take and I didn't really think about it. one day I just wasn't smoking anymore

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Hey OP I heard from TCC a few years ago that acid is the cure all for stupid brain habits/addictions.

You know, get super hosed up and analyze all your failures as a human being in a negative thought cycle, and then when you come down and have cried all your tears and can think clearly you'll have shamed yourself into being cured!

Until you smoke again, because it feels good.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I found what worked for me was that I stopped buying them.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my nigga have you tried LSD?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I wish I wasn't too old for acid but I don't think I could handle it any more. I think because I seem to ever have done acid was when it was hot and sticky outside and this weather would be perfect.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I feel like I can't handle it again but I know that if I somehow got dosed accidentally I'd probably pull through. I always fixate on negative things happening in my life/the world, and I'm extremely uncomfortable in my own skin and feel disgusting. I'm a delicate little flower, I like stuff that numbs me to the pain of the human condition, like heroin.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Have you tried not being addicted?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AARO posted:

I've been smoking a pack a day since i was 12. I'm definitely going to die when I'm 50 if I don't quit.

However, I love to smoke. It is so glorious. I feel like my dick is being sucked by a magical demon who inserts heroin into my dick as she sucks and pulls me further and further into the pleasant abyss (ala Louis Ck.)

My doc prescribed Wellbutrin but it doesn't work at all. How do I actually quit gibbis?

My grandma is 98 years old and has smoked a pack a day since puberty.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
doesnt tobacco have other stuff in it that acts like a maoi? probably why going nicotine only with a vape doesnt work for some people

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
How old are you now OP? You can smoke till 35 with almost zero risk statistically. Its only after 40 that it gets rough; on average every week you smoke after 40 is one day sooner you'll die, after 50 it gets even steeper. But if you're under 35, there is no reason to quit. (google "british doctor study")

ZarniiMartFast
Mar 12, 2008
First pick the day you want to quit, I usually recommend at least a couple weeks out. That day is the first day you stop smoking entirely and the first day you start using patches/gum.

Write a list of all the reasons you want to quit, and write down every time during the day you smoke. Most people have a strong routine- first thing in the morning, after food, in the car, after sex, when STRESSED, with coffee/booze, etc. No matter how much sweet nicotine you suck from that gum you will still try to light up automatically during all these routine times out of sheer habit. So until your quit date, take the time to practice not smoking during these specific times by substituting it with any other behaviors/substitutes/distractions. You could go out for a walk after eating, knit a sweater, chew on a straw while drinking coffee, take a bath when you're stressed, put mints in your car to reach for instead, really whatever you want and what works best for you. Cigarettes are a drat effective coping tool, they just unfortunately really unhealthy. So by practicing this you can give yourself a good idea of what will work best in any situation you'd otherwise smoke. It doesn't matter if you're smoking just as much as long as you're changing your routine and getting a good idea of what coping skills are most effective.

The day before you quit, toss out all your cigs/lighters/ashtrays/matches/pipe tobacco/hookahs/spitoons/anything that you use to smoke or reminds you of smoking. Tell everyone you know that you're quitting- friends/family/loved ones/coworkers/anyone you smoke with.

On your quit date, start using patches and gum. They are expensive but still cheaper than smoking if it helps you quit and often can be accessed for free through state programs. For OP smoking a pack a day you'd want to use the 21mg patch +4mg nicotine gum, together at the same time. If you chew about 5 pieces of gum per day while using the patch it will give you roughly the same amount of nicotine as when you smoked a pack per day (using the patch at night will help with morning cravings and also give you really hosed up dreams). This means you wont go into nicotine withdrawal, so no nic fitting or contemplating murder to get some cigs. You'll still fiend like the junky you are and think about smoking all day long, so keep yourself busy with the other activities you practiced. The first couple days are the hardest part, after a few weeks it gets noticeably easier, and after a few months you'll be homefree as long as you don't rationalize to yourself that you can have just one puff (you can't). Quitting is hard but gets so much easier relatively quickly, so remember it's never worth undoing your progress to that point since you'll only have to go through the worst all over again. If a slip happens though, best thing is to just look at what situation caused it and consider how you could have managed it differently in the future, and get right back on track.

If you make it a month without relapsing, step down to the 14mg patch at that point. It's okay if you need a few more pieces of gum per day at first. Step down again to the 7mg patch when you feel ready, typically 2 to 4 weeks after starting the 14mg. After two weeks of that take it off and go completely nic free. work towards substituting the ngum with regular gum (and don't use the nicotine like regular gum, moreso like chewing tobacco)

I know everyone thinks the patches/ngum are just trading one form of nicotine for another, but that's really not the case. It keeps you from going into withdrawal which is when you're at the highest risk of relapse and allows you to work on breaking the habit first. They also release the nicotine at such a gradual rate that you don't get the same rush or reward from using them as you do cigs, so there is much lower potential for addiction.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I poo poo you not it was influenza and Fallout: New Vegas that did it for me.

I smoked two packs a day for 7 years, attempted to quit many times, but finally got it to stick by going cold turkey during the worst flu of my entire life. I was sick as a dog for a month, seriously thought I was going to die, passed out and bashed my head on the bathroom sink from coughing so much more than once, it was loving awful. Although, how much of that month was germs and how much was withdrawl I'll never know, but needless to say it was very unpleasant.

Luckily I was in a position to take the whole month off and did. I didn't have enough money to go on a vacation like David Sedaris recommends in When You Are Engulfed In Flames (a very good book about quitting smoking among other things), but I figured losing myself in some giant 500-hour RPG (which at the time had just finished its last DLC, an event I had been waiting for before I bought it) was the next best thing, and it actually worked. I haven't smoked for years, have never vaped or chewed or used patches or any of that stuff. Just took a month of alternating between feverish snot-lunged unconsciousness and excessive trips to the digital Mojave.

Of course, later I had to kick excessive gaming, but that's the nature of vices; you never reduce them, only exchange them.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

You should buy some high quality tobacco and smoke it. Get really snobbish about it and buy the creme de la creme of a basic smoking kit. Maybe buy a good pipe or learn to roll your own papers. Make it a ritual.

Go more on the side of quality than quantity. Connect to what you're doing in a mindful way by preparing and taking care of what you're doing instead of mindlessly buying a pack.

That should help get you smoking less and if you do smoke at least you are aware you're doing it and you are using some good quality stuff.

You could also consider going to see a cognitive behavioral therapist to try and adjust your behavioral habits. One thing they will probably suggest is a replacement behavior that isn't as bad as smoking like sunflower seeds.

If you do quit completely, be prepare and okay with gaining 10-15lb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

put yourself in a long coma and when you wake up you'll be not addicted anymore. good luck

• Locked thread