Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
How do you guys like the poem itself?

I love it, personally, but it's an odd duck. Heroic couplets seem like a childishly simple form for a modern work. At times, the rhythm slips carelessly. It's hard to imagine a contemporary poet who would've been satisfied with the basic meter found in Pale Fire.

But the images wind so wonderfully through the lines:

White butterflies turn lavender as they
Pass through its shade where gently seems to sway
The phantom of my little daughter's swing.

The house itself is much the same. One wing
We've had revamped...

You can almost see the implicit little ghost of a butterfly fluttering around the lonely house from that word choice, "wing."

Nabokov was, by this point, an expert narrative writer, but I don't think he ever mastered poetry. There's some quote to that effect (maybe in Pale Fire?) where he says that he found himself able to emulate anyone's prose, but not their verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
I must say, I found the work quite Engazhay and compelling.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

House Louse posted:

Something I don't have an opinion on is how unfinished "Pale Fire" is. The number of lines in each canto is symmetrical, assuming it's a 1000-line poem. On the other hand, the last line can't be the first, as it doesn't make sense by itself; and if Shade only had one more line to go, surely he would have written it, or at least jotted some notes, before knocking off for the night?

I feel certain that Line 1000 is exactly the same as Line 1. Yes, as you point out, that doesn't make sense: why not just scribble one more already-written line? But it's perfect poetic irony to snatch those mirrored death-words from his mouth, and Line 999 sets up exactly that rhyme.

Nabokov knew it didn't make sense, but he couldn't help himself.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Enfys posted:

I have just started this and read the forward.

Sorry if I'm being really dense and all these things are obvious, but I get the impression that Kinbote wasn't that close a friend of Shade as he makes himself out to be (or believes himself to be). He comes across a bit stalker-y with his descriptions of watching Shade's foot through the upstairs window every night and other scenes that are him describing what he saw while watching Shade rather than interacting with him.

I also get the impression Shade isn't as amazing and well-regarded as a genius as Kinbote makes him out to be.

Two for two.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

House Louse posted:

We agree it doesn't make sense (either narratively, or because line 1 is the first half of a couplet and has nothing to do with line 999) and the person advocating this idea is Kinbote, so... I don't see how it can be. Maybe, though, 999 is the last line? It would be pretty bathetic but Canto 4 is a let-down... Or maybe we just have no idea how much is missing. Kinbote mentions other professors in the Introduction saying we don't know how long it should have been, or how reliable the text is, so he raises the possibility that he's got things totally wrong even on a basic, literal level, never mind predicting how long it should be.

A man, unheedful of the butterfly—
Some neighbor's gardener, I guess—goes by
Trundling an empty barrow up the lane—
I was the shadow of the waxwing slain.

Shade had seen the gardener before, and would see him again just before the murder, so the image allows Shade to write about his own death unknowingly (and likewise to come across that "empty barrow"...) In life, he could not have completed the poem with that line, but it makes sense when death writes it for him.

Zorodius fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

mcustic posted:

Herman Hesse's Siddhartha? I'm always up for a reread of that one. It's on Gutenberg, as well.

I've been meaning to finish reading that.

I also meant to write something about narrator unreliability in Pale Fire. So, uh, if you're going to doubt one big thing in a story, where do you draw the line? How do you rule out something crazy like "Kinbote invented Shade"?

Speaking of crazy: Nabokov really didn't show an accurate picture of mental illness, did he? Someone mentioned the unrealistic 1950s stereotype of a homosexual, and I think you could say the same for psychosis in Pale Fire.

• Locked thread