Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
An important thing to note about this book is that there is no one good way to read it. You can read the foreword, then the poem in its entirety and then read the commentary (which is how I did it,) or you can read the poem and refer to the commentary line by line, or read the poem first, and then the foreword, and then the commentary, etc. Each method is going to produce a very different interpretation of events as they proceed. The book is intricate and brilliant and I've never encountered another story quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bandiet posted:

Controversial viewpoint: the whole thing is actually created by Vladimir Nabokov.

Please don't waste thread space with ridiculous things like this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Any novel interpretations of your students' that you'd like to share?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think the Hazel interpretation is fun to consider but lower on the totem pole of "what likely happened"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

blue squares posted:

How certain are we that Zembla actually exists? I'm assuming it's impossible to know

I can't think of a way to answer this that isn't spoilery or just saying it's open to interpretation.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Boof Bonser posted:

I read PF in a college lit class where the MO was bizarrely over analyzing and obsessing about literature in pretty much exactly the manner that PF seems to mock.

Over analyzing the book is the fun part, though. It's when you start taking your interpretations deadly seriously that you get into idiot territory.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's really hard to talk about what's attractive about this book without spoiling it. It took me a long time to get through it the first time I read it, for the same reason - the commentary unfolds itself so slowly that it feels like there's not a lot of reason to come back, but once you kind of start to piece together what happened (very gradually) the possible interpretations start to open up and it becomes a fun thought experiment to look at it from different angles. After that happened I found it much easier to read.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Enfys posted:

Have read the poem now and just started the commentary - finding it a bit baffling with all the Zembla stuff. I've had the somewhat frustrating sense from the beginning that I don't really "get" this book and it's over my head, but I'll stick with it.

Keep reading, it will become clear.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The dictionary of terms at the end has some important details as well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

knees of putty posted:

That was quite fun. To begin with it I didn't think the literary joke would last the distance, but the fantastical narrative kept rolling on. Kinbote was so revelatory that it seems we're supposed to think that this written by someone else to discredit Kinbote, whoever he is. I guess I'll find out how dumb that is when I go through the links in the OP.

These recent books are giving me the idea that most of the world consider vegetarians as some kind of symbol of degeneracy.

I feel like Kinbote very very slowly begins to accept that, outside of a single passing mention of Zembla, he had virtually nothing to do with influencing the outcome of the poem in the way he thinks he did. A couple of times he comes very close to admitting it outright and then pulls back into his nuttery. So for that reason I feel like Kinbote probably wrote it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle a few months ago and it was really good and very short. Even reading casually you can finish it in a day. It's not free, but it's not hard to find or expensive either.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

blue squares posted:

gently caress you puto this is the PALE FIRE THREAD

I thought it would make a good BotM :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mover posted:

I like to call this book "Fail Pyre" because it's bad and I think it should be thrown into a bonfire

Hey, this book is actually really good and has a lot to talk about and the fact that this thread sits ignored next to the hundreds of pages long GRRM garbage fire is enough of a humiliation, can you please take you low effort drive by poo poo posting to that thread instead? thank you

• Locked thread