Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have just started this and read the forward.

Sorry if I'm being really dense and all these things are obvious, but I get the impression that Kinbote wasn't that close a friend of Shade as he makes himself out to be (or believes himself to be). He comes across a bit stalker-y with his descriptions of watching Shade's foot through the upstairs window every night and other scenes that are him describing what he saw while watching Shade rather than interacting with him.

I also get the impression Shade isn't as amazing and well-regarded as a genius as Kinbote makes him out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Have read the poem now and just started the commentary - finding it a bit baffling with all the Zembla stuff. I've had the somewhat frustrating sense from the beginning that I don't really "get" this book and it's over my head, but I'll stick with it.

• Locked thread