Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Just finished the Foreword

1) Didn't realise Pale Fire isn't a real poem

2) Didn't realise the Ruskis did postmodernism (this must be a very early predecessor to postmodernism?).

3) Protagonist is a vegetarian, noice

4) Great prose, much appreciated

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
^
Cheers for link

Heath posted:

An important thing to note about this book is that there is no one good way to read it. You can read the foreword, then the poem in its entirety and then read the commentary (which is how I did it,) or you can read the poem and refer to the commentary line by line, or read the poem first, and then the foreword, and then the commentary, etc. Each method is going to produce a very different interpretation of events as they proceed. The book is intricate and brilliant and I've never encountered another story quite like it.

I've decided to do what the narrator suggested, which is commentary, then poem + commentary, then commentary.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

fridge corn posted:

By making his commentator a lecherous paedophile, homosexual, and vegetarian, is Nabokov enhancing the derisory aspect of his satire, or is it simply characterisation? 🤔

Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian!

• Locked thread