Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
This is why Indiana Jones only fought literal nazis and death cultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Even Lara Croft started by shooting many wild animals, centaurs and three humans in her first outing. In the second game, though, the body count was in triple digits. She really hated Venice, I guess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's really a testament to Naughty Dog's writing that you can constantly root for the bad guy in this series though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's really a testament to Naughty Dog's writing that you can constantly root for the bad guy in this series though.

no one is rooting for Navarro

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

gameplay and story segregation, son!

Thank you for not saying "ludonarrative dissonance" even though it's probably apt here.
IGN reckons Drake's body count for the first 3 games is 1829.
Nate doesn't even look at his bloodied hands and scream "what have I become!?" as far as I can remember.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sout posted:

Thank you for not saying "ludonarrative dissonance" even though it's probably apt here.
IGN reckons Drake's body count for the first 3 games is 1829.
Nate doesn't even look at his bloodied hands and scream "what have I become!?" as far as I can remember.

yeah and George Lucas didn't include the scene where Luke deals with the guilt of killing everyone on the Death Star either

but let's start this tired area of discussion again, sure

sout
Apr 24, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

yeah and George Lucas didn't include the scene where Luke deals with the guilt of killing everyone on the Death Star either

I was sort of poking fun at that scene in Far Cry 3 where our hero does that and it still doesn't really work.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

morallyobjected posted:

It's traditional by this point

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sout posted:

I was sort of poking fun at that scene in Far Cry 3 where our hero does that and it still doesn't really work.

sorry, I haven't played it so I missed the reference

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most videogames revolve around murdering vast hoards of men, which is why it's so jarring when they try to have lighthearted, upbeat plots when the bodycount is beg enough that you could build a small tower out of bones. I don't think any game has ever really managed to work that out.

Of course, looking back at the Uncharted series, one of the chief complaints, at least for the first two games, was how most of the people you murdered were non-white. Technically that was the realistic implication of the exotic setting, but both of the first two games ended with native societies that were literal snarling beasts (although there were also implications that they were still capable of higher things? UC1's native zombies were making boobytraps and UC2's blue men lived in extravagant temples), and it's really hard to not see subtext there, regardless of developer intent. :shrug: At least UC3 changed things up.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SelenicMartian posted:

Even Lara Croft started by shooting many wild animals, centaurs and three humans in her first outing. In the second game, though, the body count was in triple digits. She really hated Venice, I guess.

The remaster trilogy handled it really well. She only kills animals on her first adventure, and near the end kills a badguy in self defense and is pretty messed up by it. After her first human kill, she starts killing people like it's no big deal. It's not perfect, and certainly not The Line, but it's better than nothing.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 15, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The best scene of that type in an action game is still Raiden's in Revengeance.

Monsoon: You're a monster! You just like killing people!

Raiden:... I do like killing people.

Monsoon: Hahaha! Yes! Let your guilt...

Raiden: You're a people.

Monsoon: I may have made a minor tactical error.

(The other best one of these things is in Fire Emblem Awakening, where your army's tagalong kid talks with its resident psychopath about how the enemy army he fought was full of Regular People who made birdhouses and patted small children on the head, growing increasingly nauseated as the psychopath continues to not understand why this would be an issue for anyone.)

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

chiasaur11 posted:

The best scene of that type in an action game is still Raiden's in Revengeance.

Monsoon: You're a monster! You just like killing people!

Raiden:... I do like killing people.

Monsoon: Hahaha! Yes! Let your guilt...

Raiden: You're a people.

Monsoon: I may have made a minor tactical error.

Man, Revengeance was fantastic. That scene was absolutely insane too, by that point in the game you're confident with the controls and mechanics and out of nowhere they give you a new one and introduce it with one of the best, over-the-top cutscenes I can think of.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Most videogames revolve around murdering vast hoards of men, which is why it's so jarring when they try to have lighthearted, upbeat plots when the bodycount is beg enough that you could build a small tower out of bones. I don't think any game has ever really managed to work that out.

Of course, looking back at the Uncharted series, one of the chief complaints, at least for the first two games, was how most of the people you murdered were non-white. Technically that was the realistic implication of the exotic setting, but both of the first two games ended with native societies that were literal snarling beasts (although there were also implications that they were still capable of higher things? UC1's native zombies were making boobytraps and UC2's blue men lived in extravagant temples), and it's really hard to not see subtext there, regardless of developer intent. :shrug: At least UC3 changed things up.

Were the snarling beasts in UC1 the natives, though? I thought they were Nazis who just lived long lives due to becoming snarling beasts. Also, you could take the UC2 one a step further since the snarling beast was just a disguise, and the native population was composed of blue men smart enough to know foreigners would be scared of strange beasts in strange lands. The blue men knew that foreigners would have the prejudicial disposition to believe the mythical city would also have mythical monsters, being that the city is far removed from our modern sensibilities. What I find more suspicious on Naught Dog's part is that these societies fell due to a lack of avoiding the easily avoidable evil (in UC1, they just needed to not open the coffin or advertise it to travelers; in UC2, they just needed to stop eating the blue resin once people started to become crazed; in UC2, they just needed to not put the contaminant in their drinking supply). Drake shows up, does a quick glance around some corpses or a mural, and understands where the natives went wrong.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Its been a while since I watched the UC2 Lp, bu I assumed the blue stuff simply was incredibly addictive. Addictions are hard to beat with full mental faculties after all.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Yeah, I feel like in UC2 the blue sap stuff had some benefits (like longevity or something) and that the "turns you into a snarling monster" bit only manifested later.

As for UC3, given how Nate had his weird trip after drinking the water maybe once, I think just about everyone who was in or entered the city died pretty quickly. Hence how it got a reputation for being cursed or whatever.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

The villain of Uncharted 2 even calls him out on it. Nathan is a monster, like pretty much every other shooter protagonist.
That last sentence is p. important. I mean, Bulletstorm's Grayson Hunt is a friendly scallywag but also murders a large number of men in a large number of ways. I think he's a pretty cool guy, though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rumda posted:

It's traditional by this point

It's a bad tradition. The better C&I LP tradition is talking about why G Gundam is cool.

I think Drake loving up too many ancient civs that happen to be on laylines is why the Earth is hosed up in G Gundamn.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

sout posted:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Hey, did you know there's a gundam piloted by a horse?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Achievements will always be my favorite way for a developer to passive-aggressively tell people to cut it out :allears:

see also: The one you get for beating people up long after they are dead in Gunpoint, the achievement for getting 100% completion in Binding of Isaac that just says 'stop playing'

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Great Joe posted:

That last sentence is p. important. I mean, Bulletstorm's Grayson Hunt is a friendly scallywag but also murders a large number of men in a large number of ways. I think he's a pretty cool guy, though.

You know what's just about a perfect reference for how to do these things right?

The show "Justified". Cop show about US Marshall Raylan Givens, a bit of an old school gunslinger who gets sent back to his hometown in Kentucky after an... incident in Miami.

Now, being as it's a cop show, and being as Raylan is... well, Raylan, he kills a pretty decent amount of people over the run of the series. Couple dozen, at least. And he still stays about the same person most of the time. Same kind of easygoing attitude, more or less fits with a shooter protagonist. He's just the kind of person who can kill a man and get back to work after without too much trauma.

And everyone around him realizes that this is kind of unusual, to put things lightly. One of his coworkers, Tim, is a former Ranger, and he doesn't take killing anywhere near as easy.

Raylan's just as good at walking off the impact of shooting someone stone cold dead as he is bad at managing most of the rest of his life.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Uncharted handles it right because no one cares

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CJacobs posted:

Achievements will always be my favorite way for a developer to passive-aggressively tell people to cut it out :allears:

see also: The one you get for beating people up long after they are dead in Gunpoint, the achievement for getting 100% completion in Binding of Isaac that just says 'stop playing'
They've got nothing on the Stanley Parable.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

They could have cut out hours of runtime from the movies if they hadn't shown Luke killing every single person on the Death Star one by one. Also the scene where he kicks that storm trooper in the balls and says "no babies for you" was a little much IMO :eyepop:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
They probably could have gotten rid of that scene where Han ate a live baby. That was just weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

David D. Davidson posted:

They probably could have gotten rid of that scene where Han ate a live baby. That was just weird.

Name me one sci if protagonist that doesn't. :colbert:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CharlestheHammer posted:

Name me one sci if protagonist that doesn't. :colbert:

Snowpiercer is a good movie.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SelenicMartian posted:

They've got nothing on the Stanley Parable.

That "4 Hour Baby Game" ending! :argh:

I'm still working on the "Go outside" achievement, where you have to not play the game for 5 years.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

KozmoNaut posted:

That "4 Hour Baby Game" ending! :argh:

I'm still working on the "Go outside" achievement, where you have to not play the game for 5 years.

You can set your computer's clock ahead to get that one. The achievement I love is the one you actively have to cheat to get.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You can set your computer's clock ahead to get that one. The achievement I love is the one you actively have to cheat to get.

That's for scrubs, I'm doing it the proper way!

(I have plenty of hard drive space to keep it installed, and I've gotten pretty much all the endings anyway, so I'm not likely to replay it anytime soon)

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

sout posted:

A huge theme of FC3 is having both the player and the protagonist discover through their actions how much of a psychopathic douchebag they each really are. The time difference between the two revelations can be instructive. I mean he starts as a hard partying Banana Republic wearing jackass tourist who gets caught up in a banana republic uprising and goes on an increasingly hosed up murder spree (and drug bender) to "save his friends". The animal killing safari crafting and death cult stuff are just icing on the killcake.

It's actually kind of refreshing how much the game rubs it in the player's face sometimes. It's not as steadily solid in story as most of the Uncharted games, but it's pretty good for an open-world FPS. The pacing and play depth are a little iffy, but it's pretty and has some pretty memorable characters. Plus you can do most missions in tactically varied ways and it is the reason for the existence of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon which makes up for almost any possible flaw.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Think of all the tortoises Super Mario has murdered. Dude's hosed up blah blah blah

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Far Cry 3 has the protagonist look at his bloodied hands and go "what have I become" and it expects you not only to not laugh, but to feel the same way. This after a poker game that turns into a disco knife fight QTE.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
FarCry 3 fails at it because it was written by a guy who thought he was being the smartest writer ever (while all his writing ended up in a game that takes no notice of of his writing whatsoever).

The Line succeeded at it, because it's a game where the entire game is in service to the writing and concept - usually it's the other way around (and it made both the player and the played character at fault for what happens).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 16, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, my biggest complaint about the Force Awakens was just how many times the heroes stopped everything so they could murder all the enemies in the area like it was some kind of videogame. I feel like the killcount in videogames affects the way that other media deals with death, but there's far less appeal without the kenesthetic benefit of gameplay.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
You want some dissonance? How about comparing today's Amish to the Radical Reformers they descend from. My wife and I started a history podcast a few months ago, and there's a new episode out today!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

http://historyhoneys.podbean.com/e/anabaptists/

This time we talk about the Anabaptists, a movement of related Protestant sects dating back to the early days of the Reformation. Are our civil liberties inspired by people who dropped out of the society they protect? How can small communities survive in isolation, and how could they survive without isolation? Why are people living in modernity fascinated by those who chose not to be?

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 13, 2016

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

You know what's just about a perfect reference for how to do these things right?

The show "Justified". Cop show about US Marshall Raylan Givens, a bit of an old school gunslinger who gets sent back to his hometown in Kentucky after an... incident in Miami.

Now, being as it's a cop show, and being as Raylan is... well, Raylan, he kills a pretty decent amount of people over the run of the series. Couple dozen, at least. And he still stays about the same person most of the time. Same kind of easygoing attitude, more or less fits with a shooter protagonist. He's just the kind of person who can kill a man and get back to work after without too much trauma.

And everyone around him realizes that this is kind of unusual, to put things lightly. One of his coworkers, Tim, is a former Ranger, and he doesn't take killing anywhere near as easy.

Raylan's just as good at walking off the impact of shooting someone stone cold dead as he is bad at managing most of the rest of his life.

Raylan wasn't really that great at managing the rest of his life, though. A big part of the show was how he would screw up regularly but manage to charm people back on his side. He blew up the case against Boyd to be with Ava, his relationship with his wife was a mess, he crossed legal and ethical lines regularly, and he passed up opportunities to move on with his life in order to get whoever the current bad guy is, but none of it ever sticks to him like it probably should.

God I miss Justified so much. :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lost Season posted:

Raylan wasn't really that great at managing the rest of his life, though.

chiasaur11 posted:

he is bad at managing most of the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

General Ironicus posted:

You want some dissonance? How about comparing today's Amish to the Radical Reformers they descend from. My wife and I started a history podcast a few months ago, and there's a new episode out today!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

This time we talk about the Anabaptists, a movement of related Protestant sects dating back to the early days of the Reformation. Are our civil liberties inspired by people who dropped out of the society they protect? How can small communities survive in isolation, and how could they survive without isolation? Why are people living in modernity fascinated by those who chose not to be?

Well hell, I needed something new to listen to while redacting.

• Locked thread