Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Go Pez!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't want to be a downer, but at the rate we're going, I wonder if we're going to be losing enough money to actually make the game move at a reasonable pace, especially since we still each gain $200 per lap. We may want to consider something like the rents go up one step (or houses begin to be randomly distributed) after X number of laps. Like, I'm currently lagging behind mathematically because I got taxed, but with a few lucky dice rolls (boxcars and then double deuces or a nine followed by a three and a four or a seven), I'll still come out having profited this lap.

Also, when I get some time tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to learn that loving song and at least play a lovely, underrehearsed cover of it. Thankfully (?) my band is broken up, so I don't have to call them in to be like "we're covering Joe Cocker for an internet board game."

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Allen Wren posted:

Also, when I get some time tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to learn that loving song and at least play a lovely, underrehearsed cover of it. Thankfully (?) my band is broken up, so I don't have to call them in to be like "we're covering Joe Cocker for an internet board game."
I think we should get a second Joker for this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tbf, the last lineup of my band was 3/4 goons and 1/4 probably actually likes joe cocker

e: I don't DISlike joe cocker, but he's got better songs.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 15, 2016

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I think I'll just hit Chance every round, it's safer than landing on properties

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I don't want to be a downer, but at the rate we're going, I wonder if we're going to be losing enough money to actually make the game move at a reasonable pace, especially since we still each gain $200 per lap. We may want to consider something like the rents go up one step (or houses begin to be randomly distributed) after X number of laps. Like, I'm currently lagging behind mathematically because I got taxed, but with a few lucky dice rolls (boxcars and then double deuces or a nine followed by a three and a four or a seven), I'll still come out having profited this lap.

I was thinking similar. Maybe a second rabbit (tortoise?) when the last person crosses Go, which bumps up rent.

Also save the song for the next Joker challenge.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I suspect raising all properties an entire rent tier at once might be too aggressive. Maybe after each lap of the rabbit or tortoise a random number of houses are added to random properties? They'd eventually begin stacking into hotels, presumably. You may want to do some math behind the scenes---I don't actually have a copy of Monopoly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Allen Wren posted:

I suspect raising all properties an entire rent tier at once might be too aggressive. Maybe after each lap of the rabbit or tortoise a random number of houses are added to random properties? They'd eventually begin stacking into hotels, presumably. You may want to do some math behind the scenes---I don't actually have a copy of Monopoly.

Hmm. There's 28 total properties. If we assign numbers 1-22 to each individual property, 23-26 to the railroads, and 27 and 28 to the electric company and water works respectively, then after every lap - whichever person we decide to use for counting laps - or when X number of turns has passed, go to orokos or random.org or whatever and get your random number(s), 1-28.

If either 27 or 28 are rolled, the Water Works and Electric Company are assumed to be owned by the same person and the rent on those properties increases as normal (and numbers 27 and 28 are removed from the pool). Each time a railroad is rolled the number of 'owned railroads,' and thus the rent for all railroads, increases by one (and the number of 'railroad rolls' decreases). Each time a normal property is rolled, a house is added to that property.

I think I'd suggest using turn numbers as the increment, simply because if the rabbit or tortoise or whoever else gets thrown into jail, that's potentially three turns added to the "when the houses come in" timer, which could draw the game out a lot more than it has to. On the other hand, though, if there's one person who gets to be responsible for making houses go up then it's more reason for the rest of us to talk poo poo about that person, so there's that, too.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Potential motto for Team Thimble: Winning the War Begins on the Home Front.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hmm. There's 28 total properties. If we assign numbers 1-22 to each individual property, 23-26 to the railroads, and 27 and 28 to the electric company and water works respectively, then after every lap - whichever person we decide to use for counting laps - or when X number of turns has passed, go to orokos or random.org or whatever and get your random number(s), 1-28.

If either 27 or 28 are rolled, the Water Works and Electric Company are assumed to be owned by the same person and the rent on those properties increases as normal (and numbers 27 and 28 are removed from the pool). Each time a railroad is rolled the number of 'owned railroads,' and thus the rent for all railroads, increases by one (and the number of 'railroad rolls' decreases). Each time a normal property is rolled, a house is added to that property.

I think I'd suggest using turn numbers as the increment, simply because if the rabbit or tortoise or whoever else gets thrown into jail, that's potentially three turns added to the "when the houses come in" timer, which could draw the game out a lot more than it has to. On the other hand, though, if there's one person who gets to be responsible for making houses go up then it's more reason for the rest of us to talk poo poo about that person, so there's that, too.

A lot of that sounds like effort. I'll figure something out but it'll be tied to a tortoise player doing laps rather than turns.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh this started

is there a challenge or something i can half rear end here

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

oh this started

So lazy you can't read two and a half pages. Amazing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

oh this started

you've taken the lead in the shitposting challenge, nice work

e: you could also just make Go worth less each cycle, if we're somehow coming out ahead

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The rules in the OP have been updated. Rule 8 now reflects the increases in rent that will occur periodically. I think it's a good balance between making a lap unprofitable and not making it too swingy.

Update coming shortly.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i dont even want a joker suck my dick other teams

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Turn 3

Slightly more dubs this time.

DivineCoffeeBinge moves out of last place, while the rest of Team Hat moves along row 3.

Team Shoe sticks together on row 3, but with Ron on Chance that may change.

Podima and berenzen flank Water Works, while bowmore hits up New York Ave.

Team Thimble just joins already-crowded spaces.

PBS Newshour reaches the greens, and TheNabster hits up Chance.

oldskool laps the board and hits Community Chest, leaving the rest of Team Iron back on row 3.

oldskool gets paid, TheNabster moves a few spaces for fifty bucks, and Ron ends up in prison. Ron does have doubles though, and gets a roll to see if they escape.

No such luck, and no more doubles from anyone else. berenzen's 7 puts them on Chance...

The shuffle was not kind (or was it? Maybe berenzen wants to be in jail, I don't judge).

Here's how we look after turn 3. A big crowd on row 3, and Ron and berenzen get to work out who gets "top bunk" if you know what I mean.

MONEY TOTALS:
TEAM HAT - JOKER

1. UnCO3 - $1443
2. Allen Wren - $1294
3. DivineCoffeeBinge - $1474

TEAM SHOE - JOKER
1. Aafter - $1462
2. Pez - $1628
3. Ron Roenicke - $1478

TEAM BATTLESHIP
1. Podima - $1442
2. bowmore - $1459
3. berenzen - $1408

TEAM THIMBLE
1. chaoslord - $1425
2. Maigius - $1449
3. JakeP - $1444

TEAM CANNON - JOKER
1. PBS Newshour - $1436
2. Lemniscate Blue - $1452
3. TheNabster - $1432

TEAM IRON
1. oldskool - $1675
2. Spigs - $1560
3. Absurd Revolver - $1465

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Team Iron has two of the three players with more money than they started with, and our third place member (step it up Revolver!) would be leading team Battleship, Cannon or Thimble :homebrew:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

oldskool posted:

Team Iron has two of the three players with more money than they started with, and our third place member (step it up Revolver!) would be leading team Battleship, Cannon or Thimble :homebrew:

i hardly need to step it up when these chumps can't even bootstrap their way to success

iron and blood motherfuckers

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
>Pay 50 bucks to move like 3 spaces

Awesome.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Team Iron, best team, glad my being away for the weekend allowed us to dominate.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Berenzen, Rons gonna make you his bitch.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Aafter posted:

Berenzen, Rons gonna make you his bitch.

Bullshit. A shoe exists for one thing: to be stepped on.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

berenzen posted:

And battleships only exist to get blown the gently caress up.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

You know you're supposed to wear shoes so you can step on things with them, right?

In case words aren't your thing (getting that vibe), here's a picture:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

You gotta step in a shoe to step on anything with it, and nobody's ever "stepped in" something & had it be a good thing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ron Roenicke posted:

You know you're supposed to wear shoes so you can step on things with them, right?

In case words aren't your thing (getting that vibe), here's a picture:

Ron Roenicke confirmed as crush video enthusiast

hosed up if true

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Turn 4

Are you kidding me? Both players in jail rolled doubles.

UnC03 hops aboard the Short Line, Allen Wren is right behind, and DivineCoffeeBinge is well out of last place (movement-wise) now. For now.

Pennsylvania Ave, like the railroad before it, is apparently a happening place to be. Pez threatens another lap almost as soon as the last Joker challenge ended (gently caress all teams that didn't participate btw).

Podima lands on Chance, bowmore avoids B&O, and berenzen gets the idea that if you have to roll doubles and can't get on Free Parking, the utility is only eight bucks.

All of Team Thimble makes it to the fourth row, but chaoslord is the hapless fool who pays seventy five big ones to be there.

Team Cannon is all over the place, but at least PBS Newshour passes Go.

Team Iron is pretty much copying Team Cannon it seems.

Chance is not kind to Podima. But the children thank you.

Those who rolled dubs roll again, and Aafter risks an arrest for speeding.

...but not before paying $75 in luxury tax. Sucks to be Aafter. berenzen and Ron compete over who is in last place, with berenzen on the short end of it.

Never mind! Two spaces from Go, the cops catch up to Aafter and throw them in jail.

The state of the board at the end of turn 4. A lot of people are threatening a lap, but there's a decent chunk of folks still on row 3.

MONEY TOTALS:
TEAM HAT - JOKER

1. UnCO3 - $1418
2. Allen Wren - $1266
3. DivineCoffeeBinge - $1452

TEAM SHOE - JOKER
1. Aafter - $1359
2. Pez - $1603
3. Ron Roenicke - $1446

TEAM BATTLESHIP
1. Podima - $1292
2. bowmore - $1437
3. berenzen - $1384

TEAM THIMBLE
1. chaoslord - $1350
2. Maigius - $1423
3. JakeP - $1416

TEAM CANNON - JOKER
1. PBS Newshour - $1632
2. Lemniscate Blue - $1430
3. TheNabster - $1406

TEAM IRON
1. oldskool - $1669
2. Spigs - $1540
3. Absurd Revolver - $1440

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Staying in jail is a huge advantage, so naturally you dunces bust out as soon as humanly possible.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Looks like Team Hat is the only one to put any effort at all into following its motto.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who owns what properties?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh wait casual

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

The free market owns them all. We just lose money as we go.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bowmore posted:

Look at this post

look at it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dis gonna take forever

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Look at this post

look at it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

first pbs now bowmore

can't be bothered to read two pages and change

smh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what did bowmore do?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

what did bowmore do?

the same thing you do

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Allen Wren posted:

the same thing you do

wait, what are you talking about? i haven't read the thread in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

precisely

• Locked thread