Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I used to be among the ranks of those kids that spent hours every day playing the online game Neopets. It was a great world where you could starve and neglect your pet, but it would never actually die.

Aside from a highly-modded forums, Neopets also offered the weekly Neopian Times, a digital neopets newspaper, once a week to its online community.

The best/worst part of the Neopian Times has to be the comic section, full of neopets inside jokes that never got to the "joke" part.

Here are a few examples of comics that made it in:

I swear the quality of these were better when I was a kid, but it's probably always been this lovely and I didn't realize it back then. Just like Family Circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To the surprise of no-one, I played Neopets. That's actually making me nostalgic as gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved the brain tree. good old brain tree.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i saw a dead skunk on the way home. its entrails laid on the road, roasting in the heat. the smell was a putrid stink, carried by the the humid air and summer sun. i wondered for a brief moment if it would have stunk more alive, or dead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dead what kind-of a question is that

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
they probably suck because they were drawn by children you retard

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Pick posted:

I loved the brain tree. good old brain tree.

I was all about collecting as much free food as possible but never giving any of it to my neopets. I like to think my abusive nature made them even more emotionally attached to me.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Neopets were cool as hell and I'm glad it's still around.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I stole someone's art, horribly edited it in MS Paint and put song lyrics on it for one of the Neopets art contests back in like 2000. The original artist messaged me about it and 13 year old me freaked out a bit at the legal threat of someone who was probably no older than I was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

Neopets were cool as hell and I'm glad it's still around.

Apparently it's basically a ghost town, like there are under 10K active users these days.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

AWarmBody posted:

I was all about collecting as much free food as possible but never giving any of it to my neopets. I like to think my abusive nature made them even more emotionally attached to me.
there was no need to feed them ever unless you gave a poo poo about BattleDome

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Was this like the prodromal Pokemon?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Pick posted:

Apparently it's basically a ghost town, like there are under 10K active users these days.

I'm trying to remember my password so I can get onto the forums there. I used to Roleplay on their forums and the RPing there was 10 years old role playing as teenagers at parties, including some hot making out action. Either that or it was people pretending to be wolves.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AWarmBody posted:

I'm trying to remember my password so I can get onto the forums there. I used to Roleplay on their forums and the RPing there was 10 years old role playing as teenagers at parties, including some hot making out action. Either that or it was people pretending to be wolves.

I literally just spent all my time hoarding Brain Tree and Snowager items. I was pretty rich on that game actually, but mostly from using refreshers running all night to collect codestones for resale

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

a bunch of kids and myself used to play it in the library right next to our school in grade 7 during lunch

I liked that worm game where you ate orbs with your worm and it gave you something (Neo cash?) if you got a big worm

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

mostly from using refreshers running all night to collect codestones for resale
wtf :catstare:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Digital Fingers posted:

t a bunch of kids and myself used to play it in the library right next to our school in grade 7 during lunch
cool thats kindo f like me except I just played it alone, its Meerca Chase is the game :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

yeah, and there were some utilities you could download to play some of the games on the site automatically

my guild also cornered the market on juppies for a while, driving up the price (since you needed them to complete one of the faerie quests I think?) we were loving assholes

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

feeling extremely scandalized right now pick im gonna go cry it off

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

okay im over it. anyways I had a guild in neopets but no one I asked waented to join it or associate with me even though I was giving people free stuff so it was a bit of a solo guild :cool:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
our guild was a bad boys guild. except we were girls. but our secret mission was to exact our revenge on hrobi for receiving such obvious preferential treatment (she had FIVE neopets??/ wtf)

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I was in a few avatar collecting guilds and got frozen a multiple times for trading account information with guild members so we could play games on each other's accounts.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

our guild was a bad boys guild. except we were girls. but our secret mission was to exact our revenge on hrobi for receiving such obvious preferential treatment (she had FIVE neopets??/ wtf)
Did you get your revenge on her :confused:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

feeling extremely scandalized right now pick im gonna go cry it off

just lol if you played neopets fair, like some kind of loving chump

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

Did you get your revenge on her :confused:

no, i decided that entering high school meant i was a Big Girl and it was time to stop playing neo pets

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

just lol if you played neopets fair, like some kind of loving chump
yeah well maybe I am a chump hmmph :mad:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah well maybe I am a chump hmmph :mad:

Did you also price your shop items according to the "estimated value" of the item instead of comparing it to actual market prices using the Shop Wizard? Because that's something else a Neopian chump would do

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

AWarmBody posted:

Did you also price your shop items according to the "estimated value" of the item instead of comparing it to actual market prices using the Shop Wizard? Because that's something else a Neopian chump would do
even I'm not that much of a dunce sorry

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i had one of the fuzzy ball neopets and they changed it to something completely lovely because of copyright issues

drink Dr Pepper actually
Oct 11, 2012
i never used autobuyers or cheated at the flash games or anything like that.

but i had like 20+ accounts just for sniping painted pets and draiks from the pound.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Gurzi posted:

i never used autobuyers or cheated at the flash games or anything like that.

but i had like 20+ accounts just for sniping painted pets and draiks from the pound.
wow it's like everyone else was into something shady :tinfoil:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
gently caress you if you weren't around at the time of the Bruce when it was just a dude

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Pick posted:

gently caress you if you weren't around at the time of the Bruce when it was just a dude

Deep down, every fifth grader just wants to own a man.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
That giant loving omelette

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ChrisHansen posted:

That giant loving omelette
I didn't even feed the things to my neopets because I liked collecting them in my safety deposit box

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

if I got a dung jelly from the giant jelly I'd feed that to em though

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ahh such fond memories~ :allears:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I remember feeling morally conflicted over whether or not it was okay for me to spin those wheels across Neopia or whether that was considered "gambling" and wrong for me to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

AWarmBody posted:

I remember feeling morally conflicted over whether or not it was okay for me to spin those wheels across Neopia or whether that was considered "gambling" and wrong for me to do
nice

• Locked thread