Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Dragons. Dragons are monsters, demons, people, and even gods. In that way they're very versatile.

If you kill them you get gold, and gold is a metaphor for wisdom, which is why the Chinese think dragons are wise.

Confucius said of Lao Tzu:

quote:

Birds can fly but will fall at the hunter’s arrow. Fish can swim but will be hooked by the fisherman.
Beasts can run but will drop into people’s nets and traps. There is only one thing that is out of man’s reach.
That’s the legendary dragon. A dragon can fly into the sky, ride on clouds, dive into the ocean.
A dragon is powerful yet so intangible to us. Lao Tzu is a dragon, and I’ll never understand him.
- Confucius

This reveals that incomprehensibility is a key characteristic of dragons. In this way it is revealed that
dragons are the mentally ill. This has, in addition to the obvious proof that mentally ill people think they're dragons,
textual evidence as well

quote:

While not malicious, topaz dragons are not the best of company or particularly pleasant to deal with.
Besides caring little for social graces, they display erratic behavior that is unsettling and very confusing.
They dislike visitors, but tend to avoid combat if they can help it.
If combat is unavoidable, they use tricks and promises to distract their foes before striking with teeth and claws
(which they enjoy using). Unless it specifically interests or affect them, topaz dragons tend to be indifferent to the
causes and concerns that occupy the rest of dragonkind. They dislike bronze dragons and usually oppose the interests of
those clans. It takes time for a topaz dragon to accept another dragon's friendship, but once it does it remains a friend
for life. once another dragon gets past its outer defenses and gruff exterior, it finds a loyal companion and ready protector
in the topaz dragon.
- Dungeons and Dragons

Now compare this to the DSM-5 criteria for Schizotypal personality disorder:

quote:

A disorder characterized by eccentric behavior and anomalies of thinking and affect which resemble those seen in schizophrenia,
though no definite and characteristic schizophrenic anomalies have occurred at any stage. There is no dominant or
typical disturbance, but any of the following may be present:

Inappropriate or constricted affect (the individual appears cold and aloof);
Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar;
Poor rapport with others and a tendency to withdraw socially;
Odd beliefs or magical thinking, influencing behavior and inconsistent with subcultural norms;
Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas;
Obsessive ruminations without inner resistance, often with dysmorphophobic, sexual or aggressive contents;
Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;
Vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, over-elaborate or stereotyped thinking, manifested by odd speech or in other ways,
without gross incoherence;
Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations and delusion-like
ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.
- DSM-5

The correspondences are obvious.

In western symbol logic, a dragon is something demonic. Consider Grigory from Brothers Karamazov:

quote:

Going into the cottage where the clergy were assembled and the visitors had arrived, including Fyodor Pavlovitch,
who was to stand godfather, he suddenly announced that the baby "ought not to be christened at all."
He announced this quietly, briefly, forcing out his words, and gazing with dull intentness at the priest.

"Why not?" asked the priest with good-humoured surprise.

"Because it's a dragon," muttered Grigory.

"A dragon? What dragon?"

Grigory did not speak for some time. "It's a confusion of nature," he muttered vaguely, but firmly,
and obviously unwilling to say more.
- Dostoyevski

Now consider this Kierkegaard quote:

quote:

Now
from time out of mind people have been pleased to think that witches, hobgoblins,
gnomes etc. were deformed, and undeniably every man on seeing a deformed person
has at once an inclination to associate this with the notion of moral depravity. What a
monstrous injustice! For the situation must rather be inverted, in the sense that
existence itself has corrupted them, in the same way that a stepmother makes the
children wicked. The fact of being originally set outside of the universal, by nature or by
a historical circumstance, is the beginning of the demoniacal, for which the individual
himself however is not to blame. Thus Cumberland's Jew is also a demon
notwithstanding he does what is good. Thus too the demoniacal may express itself as
contempt for men–a contempt, be it observed, which does not cause a man to behave
contemptibly, since on the contrary he counts it his forte that he is better than all who
condemn him
- Kierkegaard

Now consider this Kierkegaard quote

quote:

The more consciousness there is in such a sufferer who in despair wills to be himself, the more his despair intensifies
and becomes demonic. It usually originates as follows. A self that in despair wills to be itself is pained in some distress
or other that does not allow itself to be taken away from or separated from his concrete self. So now he makes precisely this
torment the object of all his passion, and finally it becomes a demonic rage. By now, even if God in heaven and all the angels
offered to help him out of it- no, he does not want that, now it is too late. Once he would gladly have given everything to be
rid of this agony, but he was kept waiting; now it is too late, now he would rather rage against everything and be the wronged
victim of the whole world and of all life, and it is of particular significance to him to make sure that he has his torment on
hand and that no one takes it away from him- for then he would not be able to demonstrate and prove to himself that he is
right. This eventually becomes such a fixation that for an extremely strange reason he is afraid of eternity, afraid that it
will separate him from his, demonically understood, infinite superiority over other men, his justification, demonically
understood, for being what he is.
- Kierkegaard

In this way demon = dragon. It is similar to the logic the pope used when he called transgender people demons
(transgender=dragon????)

But the metatextual aspect in which dragons are precisely ambiguous because of their glut of interpretations
reveals that dragons have the character of being capable of anything. As Kierkegaard said:

quote:

for every sin is before God, or rather it is this which properly
makes human guilt to be sin.
- Kierkegaard

As Kierkegaard said:

quote:

One may be
right therefore from a higher standpoint in regarding paganism as lying
in sin, but properly the sin of paganism was the despairing
unawareness of God, unawareness of existing before God; this means
to be "without God in the world." On the other hand, it is for this
reason true that the pagan did not sin in the strictest sense, for he did
not sin before God.
-Kierkegaard

Which reflects the Chaos Magick maxim "Belief is a technique", and therefore explains the dragons ambiguity in different
cultures. Asian culture being introverted, they thus revere the inner depths of the dragon implicit in its capacity
for anything at any moment, while western culture being extroverted the dragon becomes terrible because it is hiding something
vast
(precisely it's "treasure"). In eastern culture, the inner ambiguity of the dragon also reflects an inherent dualism of
character, obviously.

It is worth saying that dragons can probably be used in planetary magick. Using Shadowrun's dragons, a correspondence can be
drawn between the great dragons and most of the planets:

Jupiter = Lofwyr
Mars = Sirrurg
Earth = Hestaby

and I don't remember the others. I strongly recommend everyone magically inclined to try planetary dragon magick.

I would like to conclude with a Kierkegaard quote and open up the floor to your own personal interpretations of dragons,
which can of course be seen to not conflict with my interpretation by axiom because my interpretation is axiomatically
compatible with all other interpretation

quote:

It belongs to the imperfection of everything human that man can only attain his desire by passing through its opposite.
- Kierkegaard

Further reading:

http://fusionanomaly.net/dragons.html
http://danvolodar.ru/ancientfiles/Dunk_Will.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melusine
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Scythians.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
what

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hell yes, OP

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
dragons are awesome

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Tldr

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
kinds of dragons: green (normal)
blue (magic)
miniature
chinese
komodo

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Here are some dragons I've been researching

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
But what do you have to say about wyrms, OP?

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Crazyeyes posted:

But what do you have to say about wyrms, OP?

You mean dragons of unusual size? I don't believe they exist

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Enfield posted:

kinds of dragons: green (normal)
blue (magic)
miniature
chinese
komodo

bearded

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

DrowningInDreams posted:

You mean dragons of unusual size? I don't believe they exist

*gets mauled by a cassowarry*

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
There was a guy in my old EQ2 guild named Kierkegaard. Now I know where he got the name.

Also, I think you're on to something with the whole "dragons are mentally ill" thing.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

agreed

also, gently caress you op

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Cool tattoo OP

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dragons are too heavy to fly irl idiots

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
anyone in here have any info on bad dragons?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

ROFLburger posted:

I believe there is a website dedicated to bad dragons.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
im play dongeons and dragons

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Munsun posted:

im play dongeons and dragons

I'm going to lock you up in the dongeon. It's in the capital city of my Dongdom.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

DrowningInDreams posted:

Dragons. Dragons are monsters, demons, people, and even gods. In that way they're very versatile.

If you kill them you get gold, and gold is a metaphor for wisdom, which is why the Chinese think dragons are wise.

Confucius said of Lao Tzu:
- Confucius

This reveals that incomprehensibility is a key characteristic of dragons. In this way it is revealed that
dragons are the mentally ill. This has, in addition to the obvious proof that mentally ill people think they're dragons,
textual evidence as well
- Dungeons and Dragons

Now compare this to the DSM-5 criteria for Schizotypal personality disorder:
- DSM-5

The correspondences are obvious.

In western symbol logic, a dragon is something demonic. Consider Grigory from Brothers Karamazov:
- Dostoyevski

Now consider this Kierkegaard quote:
- Kierkegaard

Now consider this Kierkegaard quote
- Kierkegaard

In this way demon = dragon. It is similar to the logic the pope used when he called transgender people demons
(transgender=dragon????)

But the metatextual aspect in which dragons are precisely ambiguous because of their glut of interpretations
reveals that dragons have the character of being capable of anything. As Kierkegaard said:
- Kierkegaard

As Kierkegaard said:
-Kierkegaard

Which reflects the Chaos Magick maxim "Belief is a technique", and therefore explains the dragons ambiguity in different
cultures. Asian culture being introverted, they thus revere the inner depths of the dragon implicit in its capacity
for anything at any moment, while western culture being extroverted the dragon becomes terrible because it is hiding something
vast
(precisely it's "treasure"). In eastern culture, the inner ambiguity of the dragon also reflects an inherent dualism of
character, obviously.

It is worth saying that dragons can probably be used in planetary magick. Using Shadowrun's dragons, a correspondence can be
drawn between the great dragons and most of the planets:

Jupiter = Lofwyr
Mars = Sirrurg
Earth = Hestaby

and I don't remember the others. I strongly recommend everyone magically inclined to try planetary dragon magick.

I would like to conclude with a Kierkegaard quote and open up the floor to your own personal interpretations of dragons,
which can of course be seen to not conflict with my interpretation by axiom because my interpretation is axiomatically
compatible with all other interpretation
- Kierkegaard

Further reading:

http://fusionanomaly.net/dragons.html
http://danvolodar.ru/ancientfiles/Dunk_Will.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melusine
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Scythians.html

*begins nodding emphatically*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dragon punch

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Enfield posted:

dragons are awesome

Claven666 posted:

*begins jacking emphatically*

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Okay I did read these words and suddenly wonder if "dragon" could have just evolved as a catch-all term for things unspeakable, unnatural or uncomfortable in the same way that, "magic" was a catch-all for things inscrutable, supernatural-appearing, or unknown?

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Wounded Unicorn posted:

Okay I did read these words and suddenly wonder if "dragon" could have just evolved as a catch-all term for things unspeakable, unnatural or uncomfortable in the same way that, "magic" was a catch-all for things inscrutable, supernatural-appearing, or unknown?

That definitely seems reasonable to me as a dragon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
THIS, i claim, is ideology

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
dragon is the sublimest word in the english language

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Drink Cheerwine posted:

dragon is the sublimest word in the english language

no that's cellar door

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Best dragons right here !!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Dragons are for babies.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
*In rocking '80s cartoon show opening singer voice*
I'm a dragonnnn!
I've got the power to rule the world!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

what are your thoughts on dragoons, op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a challenging thread, but a good one, OP

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is there such a thing as a gay dragon? And do they like to have sex with humans? Maybe put there big dragon dicks up our butts? Maybe choke us and peg us while loving us up the butt?
Could a male human get pregnant from dragon cum since dragons are magical? Could your belly swell is with dragon babies and then you give birth to your dragon husbands babies??

Asking for a friend

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

This thread is only just started and it's already drag-in (dragon)

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Ferroque posted:

what are your thoughts on dragoons, op

I like Dragon Dragoons

I also like Panzer Dragoons, because Panzer=dragon.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

a challenging thread, but a good one, OP

I tried to be as thorough in my academics as dragonly possible.

Oberleutnant posted:

Is there such a thing as a gay dragon? And do they like to have sex with humans? Maybe put there big dragon dicks up our butts? Maybe choke us and peg us while loving us up the butt?
Could a male human get pregnant from dragon cum since dragons are magical? Could your belly swell is with dragon babies and then you give birth to your dragon husbands babies??

Asking for a friend

Hedonism tends to cut against demonism, and hedonism is the dominant homosexual paradigm, so special circumstances are necessary for a gay dragon to occur. Generally one would expect to find it in cases where one was deprived of their youth and consequently, for instance, became very ugly; or perhaps where they were expelled from school due to discrimination and thus wound up on a career track far below their ability due to educational deficiency. In any case, most gay dragons would not be conventionally attractive by gay male standards.

The magical reproduction mechanism would be memetic, planting demonic thoughts in those of similar background. Nonetheless I know of a relationship similar to the one you describe and I could, potentially, give you a phone number if you felt sufficiently magically competent to using it to summon and bind a demon.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

pretty sure black dragons are mostly chaotic evil

their breath weapon is acid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Asking for a friend

Your question will be answered at [url]www.BadDragon.com

• Locked thread