Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

an important life lesson is doing things the wrong way if it's how your boss told you to do it :(

This is true, unfortunately.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

as bad as spss is, pspp is an order of magnitude worse as should be expected i guess

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
statistics this should I sell NVDA or wait for post ER

what is the likelihood that I am a lovely poster

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Pick posted:

an important life lesson is doing things the wrong way if it's how your boss told you to do it :(

Put some weird bug venom in his drink

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
list of worse statistical packages than R:

- all of them (except maybe Python + libraries)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

Put some weird bug venom in his drink

that seems like a bad idea

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

that seems like a bad idea

Wuss

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:3

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

list of worse statistical packages than R:

- all of them (except maybe Python + libraries)

ok ok but why has no one written a decent guide to coding in R

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

because the only people who use it are already supersperg savants

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
what use are statistics in the kitchen op

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pick posted:

it's called google op

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
use Stata

Stata is great for implementing a lot of stuff and is not very 'programmy' but if you are doing 'serious' stats you'll hit it's limits pretty quickly

For me I like Matlab. it's fast and programming is straightforward, and it's good for going back and forth between math and stats but you have do a lot of stuff manually

but I am going to pick up R soon I think because it's supposedly a good mix of having boatloads of packages/functions to do standard stuff like stata and doing more custom mathy stuff without having to switch stuff over to matlab

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
i've heard tales of a program called uh GRENDL i think that is legendary bad

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol if u don't use r studio

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Spread the word, to stop the word

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I used to use IDL and I liked it does anyone use that program any more? I made it make a lot of little graphs and Fourier transform stuff it was neat.

Try taking a course on coursera OP. But at the end of the day you're an academic so everyone expects your code to be garbage

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

i've heard tales of a program called uh GRENDL i think that is legendary bad

isn't that like

actually the monster so

that isn't encouraging

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

isn't that like

actually the monster so

that isn't encouraging

you thought GRENDL was bad, wait till you see what it came from

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
Wait... are you telling me that there are OTHER statistical programs than SPSS?

Oh God, how I loathe this poo poo. I did my masters in pol.sci with a buttload of SPSS wrangling and it murdered my brains. The best part was when I was trying to calculate the confidence level of some data I had and I could not make heads or tails of it and spent an ungodly amount of time on it before I realized that I was being absolutely retarded, because I wasn't dealing with a sample of a population at all. The data I had was the entire population, so the confidence is automatically 100%. I could have headbutted the monitor right then and there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

autoaim.cfg posted:

Oh God, how I loathe this poo poo. I did my masters in pol.sci with a buttload of SPSS wrangling and it murdered my brains. The best part was when I was trying to calculate the confidence level of some data I had and I could not make heads or tails of it and spent an ungodly amount of time on it before I realized that I was being absolutely retarded, because I wasn't dealing with a sample of a population at all. The data I had was the entire population, so the confidence is automatically 100%. I could have headbutted the monitor right then and there.

lol

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

lol R is great and you are a babby gbs fail-troll.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

autoaim.cfg posted:

you should probably understand middle school statistics before attempting to use stats software.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

R is, I think, considered very good?

It is very good. The OP is just dumb.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

I Am A Robot posted:

R is easily the best statistical software out there (like by a lot)

it's also really terrible and as a programming language it feels like it was developed by aliens

aliens? more like academics

yeah let's have about a hundred different data types for storing a table and none of the library functions agree on which to use glhf hope you like casting

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
its free tho

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

you can do statistics with a slide rule and a table of numbers in a book so i don't know why you're wasting your time with this computer nonsense

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

zsnes is terrible at statistical analysis

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

hth posted:

zsnes is terrible at statistical analysis

wow a ppsspp joke

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
So, what kind of ram does it have

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

yoloer420 posted:

It is very good. The OP is just dumb.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

autoaim.cfg posted:

Ha we've all been there

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Piso Mojado posted:

you should probably understand middle school statistics before attempting to use stats software.

watching social scientists try and do statistics is like watching a gorilla trying to invent flight.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Pick posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Programming-Statistical-Software-Design/dp/1593273843/
https://www.amazon.com/Cookbook-OReilly-Cookbooks-Paul-Teetor/dp/0596809158/

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pick posted:

Smash the state comrade.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I use JMP for my job but ive heard R is better but I've never used R, so JMP might be worse??

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

tsa posted:

watching social scientists try and do statistics is like watching a gorilla trying to invent flight.

Funny, that's what social scientists say about math nerds trying to get laid.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
no its not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
R is actually really good and there is documentation absolutely everywhere for it. What are you trying to do?

• Locked thread