Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ibogaine posted:

It's amazing that at the end of the day, full communism now inevitably turns out to be the best remedy for all social ills.

I wish leftists worked towards the New Soviet Man instead of being thin pale weirdos with goatees. I would be way more behind their causes if they were putting in gym time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I like the rehashing of all these common arguments about gender equality, but really I haven't heard any convincing arguments as to why striving for gender equality is called feminism when the word itself is based on one gender.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

SnowblindFatal posted:

I like the rehashing of all these common arguments about gender equality, but really I haven't heard any convincing arguments as to why striving for gender equality is called feminism when the word itself is based on one gender.

well OP it's like how people still use the phrase "rewind" even though VHS tapes are largely obsolete. Sometimes a word starts out meaning one thing, then that meaning broadens as the idea is developed and explored further you unrelenting bovine fart.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
how many men in here took the red pill after being force fed their diarrhea medicine by their mom in adolescent

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

SnowblindFatal posted:

I think the broad (hehe) idea is that because women have historically been the disadvantaged gender a movement for gender equality is largely going to be about elevating women so it follows that the name would be more female focused.

Honestly tho i do somewhat agree feminism could use a rebranding and it wouldn't be a bad move to make the name more neutral sounding. I think the main hold up there is a lot of feminists just use the naming issue as a litmus test because 99% of people who whine about the name feminism aren't well read on the topic and are likely just using the name as a concern trolling excuse for a cause they wouldn't support anyways.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

SnowblindFatal posted:

black lives matter

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
When Jezebel, everydayfeminism, tumblr and buzzfeed are the face of your movement you need a serious re-branding.

I keep hearing people talking about 'fringe elements' but when the fringe elements are all I ever see, third wave feminism really comes off as a movement of extremists. These moderate feminists people keep mentioning certainly aren't the ones writing all the blogs and thinkpieces.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Gammatron 64 posted:

These moderate feminists people keep mentioning certainly aren't the ones writing all the blogs and thinkpieces.

Do you think that there might be a reason for that

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A Stupid Baby posted:

Do you think that there might be a reason for that

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that people who write blogs, online news articles and post on the Internet are the most miserable people on earth

People who actually go outside tend to be much happier

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

When Jezebel, everydayfeminism, tumblr and buzzfeed are the face of your movement you need a serious re-branding.

I keep hearing people talking about 'fringe elements' but when the fringe elements are all I ever see, third wave feminism really comes off as a movement of extremists. These moderate feminists people keep mentioning certainly aren't the ones writing all the blogs and thinkpieces.

It would be nice to see less crazy, more moderate feminist think-pieces that focus more on how our differences must lead to a beautiful patch-work compromise instead of a clean, sterile 100% equal across-all-boards genderscape that all these blue-haired lardos claim to be fighting for. I enjoy listening to Christina Hoff Summers because she's like a nice mom telling everyone to chill the gently caress out and play nice.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Another thing i loving hate, I dont think "equalism" is actually a word...gently caress

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Think of those sites like the zines and newsletters in feminist circles a generation ago and it's not so frightening. For every septum ring, blue-hair, sideshave sporting feminist there must be a few chill ones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7L_q65jrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIy7kgcrQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq2tgnW4cd4

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Reverse Sexism

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Why did the new mod have a meltdown

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Some of this def has to be confirmation bias and hanging out on the internet too much bc when you say 'modern feminist' I'm thinking Oprah or Ellen Degeneres or Bell Hooks or even Emma Watson not a bunch of random clickbait bullshit that made me mad.

Sorry but if you're only looking for fringe then of course that's all you're going to notice. Here are some modern feminist authors.

Like bro Jezebel is a loving shock mag and everyone knows it who seriously thinks it is any kind of face of a movement other than people who just want to talk poo poo on feminism?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I wish that instead of being angry and hateful, people were nice to each other and got along.

Moridin920 posted:

Some of this def has to be confirmation bias and hanging out on the internet too much bc when you say 'modern feminist' I'm thinking Oprah or Ellen Degeneres or Bell Hooks or even Emma Watson not a bunch of random clickbait bullshit that made me mad.

Like sorry but if you're only looking for fringe then of course that's all you're going to notice. Here are some modern feminist authors.

Like bro Jezebel is a loving shock mag and everyone knows it who seriously thinks it is any kind of face of a movement other than people who just want to talk poo poo on feminism?

When stuff like that is what you are typically exposed to, and you constantly see people you actually know share their stuff like it's gospel on the reg, it starts looking like the face of a movement unfortunately.

I used to consider myself a feminist, and I suppose I still am one if you use the traditional definition of it in that it's the 'belief that men and women should be treated as equals.' But I've just seen so much evidence that's to the contrary of that, so I've lost faith in the movement. And it's really a shame, but good movements get hijacked by crazy people all the time so this is hardly anything new.

In fact, these days the left is becoming almost as poisoned as the right and I really feel like the progressives of the younger generation have really lost their way. It makes me so sad that you wouldn't believe it. Whatever happened to peace and love?

(Post 9/11 America and the 24-hour news cycle probably)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wish that instead of being angry and hateful, people were nice to each other and got along.

I mean fair enough but I'm just a regular schmoe and I'm pretty much exposed to none of that at all unless I'm in an SA thread about 'look at these dumbos.' It's gotta be somewhat confirmation bias that's all I'm saying.

Gammatron 64 posted:

In fact, these days the left is becoming almost as poisoned as the right and I really feel like the progressives of the younger generation have really lost their way

I agree with that though in a general sense

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

When stuff like that is what you are typically exposed to, and you constantly see people you actually know share their stuff like it's gospel on the reg, it starts looking like the face of a movement unfortunately.
Sensationalism gets the headlines and the pageviews.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Whatever happened to peace and love?

same thing that happened to the hippies. it's a nice idea but when it comes down to it, neither peace nor love is very good at putting food on the table. plenty of opportunities in the opposites though :)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
equalism and feminism are the same thing tho..???

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

psychokitty posted:

black lives matter

Oh, well I guess that makes sense I never really thought about it. :shrug:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Sorry but if you're only looking for fringe then of course that's all you're going to notice. Here are some modern feminist authors.

While i agree with you i have to admit i don't see people sharing bell hooks stuff on facebook, it's all sound and fury garbage from the aforementioned "shock mags".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SnowblindFatal posted:

But honestly this retarded choice of word is probably the #1 thing preventing gender equality at this point.

Agreed, OP

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Gammatron 64 posted:

In fact, these days the left is becoming almost as poisoned as the right and I really feel like the progressives of the younger generation have really lost their way.

I'm convinced that the left\progressives really really want there to be tons of racists and nazis in the world. They want to be able to feel as brave as the people who actually fought nazis 70 years ago.

Basically it's a supply and demand issue; demand for racists is currently very high but the supply is (thankfully) running low these days, so you get poo poo like Ben Affleck calling Bill Maher a racist for criticizing Islam etc etc..

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the media likes to play pattycake and word games and makes everything a hill worth dying on but like 90% of people don't give a poo poo

white knights trying to valiantly slay racists are like the people that picket places with 'gay is sin' signs, they're a small minority u should ignore

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Secular Humanist posted:

I'm convinced that the left\progressives really really want there to be tons of racists and nazis in the world. They want to be able to feel as brave as the people who actually fought nazis 70 years ago.

Basically it's a supply and demand issue; demand for racists is currently very high but the supply is (thankfully) running low these days, so you get poo poo like Ben Affleck calling Bill Maher a racist for criticizing Islam etc etc..

lol you're completely sideways

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's important to treat everybody with kindness and patience.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

the media likes to play pattycake and word games and makes everything a hill worth dying on but like 90% of people don't give a poo poo

white knights trying to valiantly slay racists are like the people that picket places with 'gay is sin' signs, they're a small minority u should ignore
Do the white knights get to kill grand dragons??

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Poetic Justice posted:

It's important to treat everybody with kindness and patience.

Except fuckmen

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

Do the white knights get to kill grand dragons??

wizards actually!!!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

SnowblindFatal posted:

But honestly this retarded choice of word is probably the #1 thing preventing gender equality at this point.

Are you sure it's not retarded slapfighting about which word is "correct"

Or possibly a thirdddddddddddd optionnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Who cares what label someone uses, talk to them. TALK TO THEM.

There are a billion feminists out there that I find absolutely insane

There are a billion "Equalist/egalitarian" people out there that I mostly agree with

Hell, I've encountered a couple of people identifying as "MRA" who 1. know and admit there's a huge, poisonous chunk of crazy in their movement and 2. share every important opinion and ideal I have

BTW, several years ago, I made a deal with myself. I would consider identifying primarily as an egalitarian once I went six months without a dude listening to my core beliefs and ideals and then condescendingly informing me I'm actually an egalitarian

I discount all instances where the conversation is respectful

I discount all instances where my own personal beliefs are not discussed at least fairly thoroughly

I discount all instances where there's obvious trolling or attempts to piss me off

One time I made it four months

It doesn't really matter now because I use the above "JUST loving TALK TO PEOPLE" method more than anything these days, purposefully not identifying with anything in the conversation

but it still makes a point

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

ArbitraryC posted:

While i agree with you i have to admit i don't see people sharing bell hooks stuff on facebook, it's all sound and fury garbage from the aforementioned "shock mags".

Do you think that people who spend a lot of time posting about politics on Facebook are likely to be moderate in anything whatsoever

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
gender wars are a meme invented by fabian globalists in 2011 to fracture occupy wall street and get hillary elected

anti-feminist contras are doomed to be exploited by donald trump types for their own agenda

best not to think about it too much

no war but class war

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

A Stupid Baby posted:

Do you think that people who spend a lot of time posting about politics on Facebook are likely to be moderate in anything whatsoever

My second post itt was about how irl feminists are chill and cool people and that people who think e-feminism is the only kind there is should probably try to separate tumblr people from normal folk. It's just that it's really easy to get the wrong impression in our digital age and i think it'd do the movement some good to be more understanding about that.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

nigga crab pollock posted:

I dunno, Bernie was pretty popular and even he couldn't resist the occasional virtue signal. I don't think it's necessarily just a tiny minority of the left. The really vocal obnoxious ones are a minority maybe, but not the opinions and ideas.

Btw to be clear I am *on* the left and always have been which is why I'm a lot more critical of it these days. I don't want my side going to poo poo; the far right I just consider a lost cause.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

My second post itt was about how irl feminists are chill and cool people and that people who think e-feminism is the only kind there is should probably try to separate tumblr people from normal folk. It's just that it's really easy to get the wrong impression in our digital age and i think it'd do the movement some good to be more understanding about that.

you do see ordinary people walking around high on a form of clickbait feminism that was engineered by media executives to be as attention-stealing as possible

the best feminists are honestly the ones who realize that their leaders are all depraved and perverted and that "feminist media" is substantially more often than not a soft sell for the neoliberal agenda

also, just lol at fighting over labels: the elites consider their ideological labels a flag of convenience and why that isnt obvious to everyone is beyond me

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I would consider identifying primarily as an egalitarian once I went six months without a dude listening to my core beliefs and ideals and then condescendingly informing me I'm actually an egalitarian

I would consider identifying primarily as a Democrat once I went six months without some Republican listening to how I vote straight-ticket Democrat every single election and then condescendingly informing me I'm actually a Democrat.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
the guys who were talking about rich v poor were right. too bad the rich are smart enough to utilize the old "divide and conquer" strategy and get poor people to blame each other for all of society's problems while they continue loving everyone who isn't them behind closed doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pitdragon posted:

the guys who were talking about rich v poor were right. too bad the rich are smart enough to utilize the old "divide and conquer" strategy and get poor people to blame each other for all of society's problems while they continue loving everyone who isn't them behind closed doors

Pretty much

A transparent society where instant communication is free should be their worst nightmare, but making use of their intelligence and resources (which the poor don't have) they've smartly pointed the cultural conversation away from economic issues and towards dumb gender triviality such as "WHERE CAN A 40 YEAR OLD MAN DRESSED AS A LADY PEE THIS IS IMPORTANT"

• Locked thread