Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't think I ever saw the ep with red foreman as the dad of the piano savant. Dudes a good actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Was he in red alert 3?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That episode kept drawing me out of it because I could only see him as red foreman, I bring great shame to actors whose media I consume

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something I also noticed upon my rewatch is that there's always a winter episode where at the end it's snowing and there's a sad song playing, and everyone is happy but scrooge House. Granted, it works on me every time and I always feel bad for him, but drat it's a cheap trick

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Not that I think House was a particularly accurate medical show, but one of the most inaccurate part of the show was House's Vicodin addiction. Surely he'd just graduate to a non-Tylenol narcotic; Vicodin will kill your liver after not-too-long. I think they even talk about the potential liver damage a few times too.

For a show that revels in obscure medical diagnosis they sure didn't give a poo poo about the very basic issue of the main characters drug of choice almost certainly killing him after a couple years of abusing it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tumble posted:

Not that I think House was a particularly accurate medical show, but one of the most inaccurate part of the show was House's Vicodin addiction. Surely he'd just graduate to a non-Tylenol narcotic; Vicodin will kill your liver after not-too-long. I think they even talk about the potential liver damage a few times too.

For a show that revels in obscure medical diagnosis they sure didn't give a poo poo about the very basic issue of the main characters drug of choice almost certainly killing him after a couple years of abusing it.

He loved to mix that poo poo with alcohol every night, too. Dude was definitely nodding during those late-night piano solos.

If the show had any balls, Dr. House would have graduated to a full-on heroin junkie by season three or so and there'd be a two parter where he robs a bunch of people and pharmacies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last Chance posted:

If the show had any balls, Dr. House would have graduated to a full-on heroin junkie by season three or so and there'd be a two parter where he robs a bunch of people and pharmacies.

Unfortunately they didn't gather the guts to pull this until right at the very end, after the show's prime. :sigh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That's what really irked me about this show, as good as it is. No balls to do anything remotely different for a season. How about a heroin-addicted House has to perform illegal medicine for a New Jersey mob or something in order to keep scoring each week?

I guess the show didn't have the budget to facilitate new sets every year or something.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

That's what really irked me about this show, as good as it is. No balls to do anything remotely different for a season. How about a heroin-addicted House has to perform illegal medicine for a New Jersey mob or something in order to keep scoring each week?

I guess the show didn't have the budget to facilitate new sets every year or something.

House M.D. on AMC post breaking bad could've been a Hell of a thing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Last Chance posted:

That's what really irked me about this show, as good as it is. No balls to do anything remotely different for a season.

that's because it was just at the cusp of tv execs figuring out yo don't need to press the Nintendo revert button every ep, but it wasn't figured out then. The prevailing attitude was if things were different then people would stop watching if they missed an episode or something because SCARY to the feeble American average tvgoer

Thank god that's mostly a thing of the past except lovely cbs shows but even they're catching on

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wish I could freaking guess the solutions. Thought for sure the marines titanium rod and uranium poisoning was gonna be linked

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Robokomodo posted:

I did a House binge while robotripping and I was convinced I had every illness known to man. It was really scary. A+ would recommend.

what about lupus lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Celluloid Sam posted:

what about lupus lol

Please don't troll

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i started watching house tonight because of this thread my girlfriend hasn't seen it she likes it so far except the tracheotomy in the first episode lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Celluloid Sam posted:

i started watching house tonight because of this thread my girlfriend hasn't seen it she likes it so far except the tracheotomy in the first episode lol

Ep. 3 might be too baby related for y'all right now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

she's been watching call the midwife her only pregnancy she should be fine

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Celluloid Sam posted:

the tracheotomy in the first episode lol

it gets worse than that

not much but still

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Celluloid Sam posted:

That's really the goriest it gets. They didn't know how violent they wanted to be. I just watched an Ep where they cut a pregnant woman open to do surgery on her fetus and it's nothing compared to pilot house trach.

The lighting is weird that First episode too. They never show a trach like that again

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The thread has fallen into the classic goon 'actually we really hate the thing we were excited to talk about before' now :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has it? I fuckin love House even though I have acknowledged many of its flaws itt. Not everything is black and white you goony goon

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Has it? I fuckin love House even though I have acknowledged many of its flaws itt. Not everything is black and white you goony goon

Same

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CJacobs posted:

foreman is black and wears a white coat.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

foreman is black and wears a white coat.

:wth:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
True story, the guy who played Foreman is now the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm surprised House is on Netflix. The selection on Netflix has gotten so limited that it's like Crackle.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm surprised House is on Netflix. The selection on Netflix has gotten so limited that it's like Crackle.

yeah but that's not netflix's fault. A lot of that is networks keep wanting increasingly more $$$$ for their shows (or they want their own lovely streaming service) now that internet streaming isn't just some gimmick novelty, and netflix doesn't want to pay because it'd have to raise fees and lose members. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 'Netflix++ Premium" option ontop of base subscription for $$ to have a wider selection in the future though I think they want to keep it simple for now. this is also why netflix has been ramping up their own "original series" because they don't have to pay increasingly out the wazoo, and a lot of them are p drat good so I can't complain.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I get that I can't really blame Netflix for that, either, but the streaming arena is NOT where it was when I first signed up to Netflix about 6-8 years ago, could come home, and find all sorts of things I wanted to watch. The things in the My List of titles, without even deleting anything, has dropped down to only about 20-25% of what it used to be even a few years ago.

It's to the point that despite the arguments about how dead video stores are, I can at least walk up and down those aisles and find something I want to see made at any time in the last 80 years. Even the rental price at a video store is a lot less than what Amazon/Play/etc. want for a rental.

Back when Netflix was sort of the only game in town, it was pretty nice, but now that everyone wants to run their own service I think the value has gone right out the window. The only upside is that it's only $10 a month and I can still justify it for that price as getting just enough content to make it worth it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the replacement theme song is the music from the end credits lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

JediTalentAgent posted:

Back when Netflix was sort of the only game in town, it was pretty nice, but now that everyone wants to run their own service I think the value has gone right out the window. The only upside is that it's only $10 a month and I can still justify it for that price as getting just enough content to make it worth it.

yeah pretty much. lol i just looked up what's left netflix in the past several months and it's a metric fuckton of actually decent to good movies/tv. yikes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

yeah I'm quickly sinking back into just torrenting everything

I mean poo poo there's already Hulu, Netflix, now Amazon Prime. Now the only way to watch the new Star Trek is to pay CBS for their a la carte channel streaming poo poo? Haha nah duders.

just wait for the inevitable app that combines all the other apps into one so you can just sign in and browse the entire selection at once without logging in to 6 different things and hey suddenly you've got packaged cable again

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Moridin920 posted:

yeah I'm quickly sinking back into just pirating everything

I mean poo poo there's already Hulu, Netflix, now Amazon Prime. Now the only way to watch the new Star Trek is to pay CBS for their a la carte channel streaming poo poo? Haha nah duders.

yeah pirating things and just throwing them on a folder for plex is my go to now because Canadian netflix is even sadder

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

JediTalentAgent posted:

I get that I can't really blame Netflix for that, either, but the streaming arena is NOT where it was when I first signed up to Netflix about 6-8 years ago, could come home, and find all sorts of things I wanted to watch. The things in the My List of titles, without even deleting anything, has dropped down to only about 20-25% of what it used to be even a few years ago.

It's to the point that despite the arguments about how dead video stores are, I can at least walk up and down those aisles and find something I want to see made at any time in the last 80 years. Even the rental price at a video store is a lot less than what Amazon/Play/etc. want for a rental.

I go on NowTV and look at their comedy shows and all I get is a few shows worth watching, heavily padded out by Buster Keaton dogshit. Nobody paying for an Internet streaming service gives a gently caress about lovely American 'comedy' from 70 years ago.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
" deflecting" has begun. Season 3 ep 22

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

#TheDeflectening

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Earlier this season two characters used a lawn dart metaphor and they never interacted with each other. How does no one catch this

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lmao at Wilson getting slipped a bunch of amphetamines

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Whenever Wilson is on screen I just yell swing Heil Peter at my screen a lot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You must be jerking (me around)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
They did hit jerking around this episode as well. I never heard deflecting used as it is in this show, but I guess you had the same reaction to jerking around.

Resignation is a good ep. With foreman leaving and Wilson and House dosing each other in secret, and House trying to actually be a little better: talking to the patient, confessing the patient's suicide attempt to the parents.

Shame he's too withdrawn to actually tell foreman any of these changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
What the gently caress? This episode has teardrop in the intro

• Locked thread