Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
death sext
Nov 4, 2011

This morning, Friday 12, the Perseid meteor shower is at its peak. If you can drag your asses out into some filthy nature, you can catch a glimpse of 200 meteors an hour. Last shower this intense was in 2009 so this is pretty special.

Count some meteors, get some wishes, get drunk or whatever you want, on this good night.

The best time is now until 4, your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
I saw 1!

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

The first one is the most special.

I have seen ten. Eleven if you count the one I thought was a meteor but was actually a moth.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i see moths all the time whats the big deal

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

that's really rude to the moths :mad:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im eating this burrito then going to bed then in the morning im gonna buy donuts for the office (girls) and then lift a weight and then gently caress ya mom

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
poo poo is loving overcast here.

Although, I've seen this poo poo before.

It is cool yo. just loving sucks when you are inconvenienced by the world wide nature. :v:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
meteor? barely knew her

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

I had to walk into the woods to see any, where I will almost certainly be murdered, but what are ya gonna do?

Chinatown posted:

im eating this burrito then going to bed then in the morning im gonna buy donuts for the office (girls) and then lift a weight and then gently caress ya mom

this is a pretty good plan too

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I like my persuy meatier

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
one of the meteors is mh370 :tinfoil:

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

oh my god can I just have one night of meteors without planes falling from the sky

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

death sext posted:

oh my god can I just have one night of meteors without planes falling from the sky

its gone, guy

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm officially calling bullshit on this being some kind of outburst year for the Perseids. From suburbs of Austin I just watched for about 45 minutes and saw 5 or 6, none of which were especially bright, persistent, or colorful. Last night I saw one, during about 20 minutes of viewing, and at least it was spectacular -- color shifting and very bright, and traversed at least 1/3 of the visible sky. But overall I don't remember this year's shower being any better than last years. The only shower that ever seems to be worth a poo poo here is the Geminids.

I'm sure my light polluted skies greatly affect my viewing; directly overhead I'd guess my limiting magnitude might be as good as 3, but anywhere towards the light dome of Austin or Round Rock its more like 1. I doubt any meteor that is fainter than mag 2 is going to be visible. Doesn't help that all the people in my neighborhood keep every outdoor porch light and security light burning all the time, even though there are streetlights bright enough to loving read by already lining the roads. When/how will we ever get effective light pollution control in the US? How do we overcome the ridiculous popular notion that lighting up your yard with glare spilling everywhere makes you safer? And dont get me started on all the business that light up their parking lots like daylight even after they close.

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
I only get out of bed for 400 meteors an hour

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i saw the 2000 perseids from an escarpment in the porcupine mountain wilderness in da yoo pee eh during an obscene aurora display that lit the ground while on mushrooms. that was pretty cool. been loving cloudy the last i don't know how many years now.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Orkin Mang posted:

meteor? barely knew her

orbit my wife please

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Mapped out what I thought would be the best place to watch. I live on a heavily forested ridge so I spotted out a tiny lake with a campgrounds and went out 2 hours ago. Parked car with a clear view north over the lake, then I waited 15 minutes in the dark listening to some music since I knew my time outside would be brief and hosed and wanted my eyes to get used to the dark so I could have an amazing view right away.

Long sleeve shirt, pants with my socks pulled over them, all this in 80 degree southern weather with some bug spray and I managed to last about 10 minutes of a beautiful view of the Milky Way interspersed with dim sparks to beautiful streaks across the entire sky before mosquitos made me say gently caress this and give up. The meteors were insane though, at one point I tried counting between them and went 8-9 seconds at most between seeing them over the span of a few minutes.

I wish I lived in a Real part of the country so I could've stayed out longer. Maybe next decade... :sigh:

Minera fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 12, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's just rocks, guys

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

they were pretty nice rocks and I had a real good time

all the lights were a problem which is why I had to trek out into the dang wilderness to see anything, but once I was out there I saw a whole bunch

well anyway I'm glad I did it and I'm going to take a nap at work because I'm real tired

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
i'm going out to my state's high desert plateau over the weekend where light pollution sits at 0% and it's gonna fuckin owwwwwwnnnnnnnn

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i tried last night but the mosquitoes did not respect the sanctity of the meteor shower

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zzulu posted:

It's just rocks, guys

its space rocks. ham radio operators bounce signals off the ionized trails (which last like 0.5 to 10 seconds tops) which is coo

Also the SNOTEL snowfall reporting system in the western US and canada uses meteor scatter to phone the data back home from the stations. it works 24/7/365 though, doesnt need a shower to run.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

thanks for the advance notice dickhead

is tonight gonna be good too? thx

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
did i miss it

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
drat you. Sephiroth!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Parallax Scroll posted:

thanks for the advance notice dickhead

is tonight gonna be good too? thx
OH YOU WILL BE SEEING STARS ALRIGHT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

the meteors will be around until the 18th, which is when we'll get a full moon which makes it harder to see, but they won't be as plentiful

but still get out there because I've seen some this morning, really bright ones that trail long and majestically

• Locked thread