Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Problem description: I have an Asus P9x79 Pro m/b with a 3930k CPU. No matter what I try the CPU is always being reported in Windows as running at 3.2ghz. However my preference is to use speedstep and reduce power consumption when idle. I believe the issue may be not installing Asus AI Suite and tweaking from there, but on my last install it would crash every day and was basically a pile of poo poo I didn't want on my PC unless absolutely necessary (which perhaps it is)? So I am trying to use standard BIOS and Windows settings for power management this time.

Attempted fixes: I've reset the bios and enabled/disabled every cpu state type thing I can find that might apply to this, I've disabled all overclocking settings in bios, tried to ensure power saving stuff is turned on but so far no change. I've checked Windows Power settings to ensure minimum / maximum are correct (e.g. that minimum is not 100%), reset to 'balanced', and even tried setting maximum CPU to 50% which was still reporting 3.2ghz (which suggests some kind of bios issue to me)

Recent changes: No, this is a brand new install, all mainboard/chipset drivers installed from Asus.

--

Operating system: Win 7 Pro 64-bit

System specs: P9X79PRO, 16gb RAM, 3930K. Latest non-beta Bios from Asus (4701

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, everything I can find suggests 1) windows power management fixes it for most people 2) everyone else is actually trying to overclock and / or disable speedstep

Is it possible that Windows is wrong, should I use another tool to confirm CPU speed? I've seen people post screenshots of "computer" -> "about" showing reduced speed so I'm checking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If I were you I'd just put the BIOS back to defaults and do the same to any Windows power management option you may have changed.

Then, use CPU-Z or HWMonitor (also reads other sensors in your computer to varying degrees of success) to check the actual speed your CPU is running at.

You should see the Clocks or Core Speed value shift around as you change workloads.

If you don't feel like running tools from the internet, you can open up Resource Monitor and in the CPU section it'll show a % Maximum Frequency, which if it's lower than 100% means your CPU is clocking down due to low demand.

As far as I know, the window you're checking right now does not change the indicated speed unless something has gone very wrong.
If things are still not working as expected, you might as well try to update to the latest BIOS and see if that helps.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
CPU-Z did indeed report running at 1.5ghz. Weird UX from Microsoft: what's the point of "i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz"? (Especially if running at 1.5GHz?)

Anyway thanks!

• Locked thread