Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I checked out the first arc of Batman based on liking Tom King's work on Vision, and it's a decent story, but whatever process empowered Gotham seems like a hell of a gun to be leaving on the table.

An expensive, obscure process that bestows superpowers that are sufficient to singlehandedly take down the Justice League as long as you're also willing to die to do it? That's pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I have delved into GBS to bring a this post back to my people, for our consideration:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Best Batman Power Ranking:

60's Adam West Batman
Tim Burton Batman
Animated Series Batman
Chris Nolan Batman
Rocksteady Video games Batman
Animated movies Batman
[tumble off cliff]
Joel Schumacher Batman
1940s serial films Batman
Comic Books Batman
Alan Moore comic books Batman
Not-Rocksteady Video Games Batman
The Batman
Batman Beyond
The Aurora Theater Shooter
Zack Snyderverse

Please consider and discuss. I'd put West, TAS, Bravebold, and Beyond all in a jumble at the top, personally.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

I have delved into GBS to bring a this post back to my people, for our consideration:

Please consider and discuss. I'd put West, TAS, Bravebold, and Beyond all in a jumble at the top, personally.

How does one quantify 'Batman Power'. Adam West Batman is probably the only literally-unbeatable one in the bunch, so he should logically be at the top.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't really like Tim Burton's Batman. Or rather, I do, but not in comparison to other's. He's practically a completely different guy, it's like some weird neo-gothic artistic action universe that's more like the Shadow mixed with Dick Tracy than a superhero narrative.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I feel like Grant Morrison Batman should have his own entry.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love Batman Returns a lot. It goes to such absurd extremes to be even darker than the first and ends with the Penguin trying to blow up Gotham with penguins with missiles strapped to their back.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

How does one quantify 'Batman Power'. Adam West Batman is probably the only literally-unbeatable one in the bunch, so he should logically be at the top.

If I understand Gbese properly, Power Rankings are hierarchical expressions of :krad:ness.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Then is wrong because Batfleck should be on the top and Adam West at the bottom. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Then is wrong because Batfleck should be on the top and Adam West at the bottom. :colbert:

Oh D_T :smith:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

West's Batman is basically perfect for the kind of show the 60s Batman series is. I don't see the point in comparing it to somebody like Afleck's because they have so little in common.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This sums up DT perfectly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That list is way too harsh on Batfleck and not harsh enough on Burton and Nolan. I don't know if Batman Beyond refers to Terry or Old Bruce, but either way they're wrong.

And putting the shooter on there is in really poor taste.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

West Batman is absolutely the most powerful.
If he was in Final Crisis, and there was a cliffhanger at that moment, he would've been able to dodge the Omega Sanction no sweat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

West Batman is absolutely the most powerful.
If he was in Final Crisis, and there was a cliffhanger at that moment, he would've been able to dodge the Omega Sanction no sweat.

It would have hit him and did nothing, because in the end, pure evil can never harm pure good, old chum.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Where does the Telltale Batman fit on that list?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He can confuse the opponent with frame rate drops. That's pretty powerful.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

Where does the Telltale Batman fit on that list?

Non-Rocksteady Video Game Batman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

Man, after Scruffy's LPs, I think the Rocksteady Batman should go down a fair few places.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Travis343 posted:

Rocksteady's Batman is a boring arsehole. The games are pretty fantastic (especially the first two), but it's not the most interesting or fun or badarse version of the character.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

SonicRulez posted:

That list is way too harsh on Batfleck and not harsh enough on Burton and Nolan. I don't know if Batman Beyond refers to Terry or Old Bruce, but either way they're wrong.

And putting the shooter on there is in really poor taste.

Snyder Batfleck belongs right down the bottom of any batman list. He spends the entire movie literally murdering people with guns.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

monkeu posted:

Snyder Batfleck belongs right down the bottom of any batman list. He spends the entire movie literally murdering people with guns.

I can't even lie, I gave out about BvS so much that I got it out of my system and forgot that even happened. I will still maintain that Affleck played the role he was given very well. That the Batman he was given sucked on a fundamental level isn't his fault. He should still beat out Schumacher Batman.

Looking again, I'm surprised Miller Batman isn't on there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm really loving this new Detective Comics run. I'm going to be very sad when they make Clayface turn bad again :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

I can't even lie, I gave out about BvS so much that I got it out of my system and forgot that even happened. I will still maintain that Affleck played the role he was given very well. That the Batman he was given sucked on a fundamental level isn't his fault. He should still beat out Schumacher Batman.

Looking again, I'm surprised Miller Batman isn't on there.

Batman is an extremely malleable character. He's up there with Godzilla as far as what he can do, what role he can fill, etc. I'm a huge huge fan of Batman 89 and he is even farther from the 'traditional' Batman than Batfleck is. BvS wasn't great but he did very well with what he had.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
If Brave and the Bold Batman isn't in the top two of someone's best Batman list, well, I'm not judging, but I do have strong suspicions of their moral character and grave doubts about their value to society.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eh.... I love Brave and the Bold, but Batman wasn't even the best part of that show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't particularly like most of Brave and the Bold, but it did have a pretty great Joker.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Eh.... I love Brave and the Bold, but Batman wasn't even the best part of that show.

B'Wana Beast, forever in our hearts :rip:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Kind of surprised that Frank Miller's Batman doesn't have his own entry. Also I would put animated Batman (voiced by Conroy) at the top as he is my archetypal Batman.
I am trying to remember Moore's Batman and why he would be rated so low bit the only thing I come up with is a Swamp Thing crossover and For the Man Who Has Everything, and in both Batman comes out serviceable.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Madkal posted:

Kind of surprised that Frank Miller's Batman doesn't have his own entry. Also I would put animated Batman (voiced by Conroy) at the top as he is my archetypal Batman.
I am trying to remember Moore's Batman and why he would be rated so low bit the only thing I come up with is a Swamp Thing crossover and For the Man Who Has Everything, and in both Batman comes out serviceable.

Killing Joke

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ferrule posted:

Killing Joke

Can't believe I forgot that one. Especially after all the recent controversy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Can't believe I forgot that one. Especially after all the recent controversy.

Looks like you may have had a Thrilling Stroke!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a weekend of excessive drinking. Thank you Portland for killing braincells.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My archetypal Batman is drawn by Matt Wagner and speaks with Kevin Conroy's voice. He fights Jack Nicholson's Joker with help from Patrick Gleason's Damian from Robin: Son of Batman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I want Arkham Batman for look and voice, YJ for having the best Family, TAS Rogue's Gallery, and then I'm prolly not fussy about the rest. Batmobile is flexible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arkham Batman is so lame. He's always grumpy and stone faced.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

I want Arkham Batman for look and voice, YJ for having the best Family, TAS Rogue's Gallery, and then I'm prolly not fussy about the rest. Batmobile is flexible.

Arkham Batman's got the actual worst Batsuits in history though. That's why they put so many DLC costumes in every game.

Alright, maybe the Nolan Batsuits are worse but not by very much.

e: Also Arkham Batman's voice is just a worse-directed TAS Batman's voice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I get the feeling that you want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing when we both said "Kevin Conroy's voice", but mine is somehow not the right one.

Lurdiak posted:

He's always grumpy and stone faced.

We're talking about Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

We're talking about Batman.

Just because he's Batman doesn't mean he gets away with having zero dimensions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But how does this thread feel about Batman sitting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My ideal Batman smiles sometimes. Sometimes because he's amused or satisfied and occasionally because it's scary when he smiles. And sorry dude there's a wide, wide gulf dividing Conroy's Batman in the Arkham games and his Batman in B:TAS. I don't know if it is the material, the knowledge that he's acting for a more 'adult' audience in the games, or the voice directing.

Batmobile I would probably go with the 89 Burton car but with Arkham Knight style bat-tire tread prints. Or the one from Morrison's Batman & Robin that was also a plane.

Or god, the Zero Year one with the anti-grav tires. That one ruled. gently caress, there's a lot of good Batmobiles.

• Locked thread