Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Travis343 posted:

I consciously left DKR and Killing Joke out because they're both so overexposed nobody reading this needs me to tell them they're considered 'classics' and they're also extremely overrated and have had an overwhelmingly negative effect on Batman stories and comic books as a whole.

Same applies to Year One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Look, you ask anyone to name the top 3 Batman books and its Year One, Killing Joke, DKR. Period.

Just because you hate two of the three doesn't change the status quo.

Is DKR outdated? Yeah. Is Miller a wacko? Indeed. Is it still a drat fine comic that changed not just the character but the industry and the format? Absolutely.

Same for Killing Joke. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a go-to for Batman reading.

I love the Batman Black & White books and I love the two Batman/Grendel crossovers. I like that weird run in the 80's-90's with KGBeast and NKVDemon as goofy as they were. I think the Batman/Swamp-Thing story arc was one of the best things ever. I'm also partial to the Knightfall arc and think the Zero Year run was really good.

But I'll be damned if I recommend any of those to anyone before I recommend Year One, DKR, and Killing Joke. I mean come on.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Madkal posted:

Kind of surprised that Frank Miller's Batman doesn't have his own entry. Also I would put animated Batman (voiced by Conroy) at the top as he is my archetypal Batman.
I am trying to remember Moore's Batman and why he would be rated so low bit the only thing I come up with is a Swamp Thing crossover and For the Man Who Has Everything, and in both Batman comes out serviceable.

Killing Joke

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Jeez I forgot all about Lonely Place of Dying...gonna go dig those out and re-read 'em.

• Locked thread