Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
In the writer's defense, I guess you have to come up with some rationale that Jason is allowed to run around with a big bat on his chest and shoot people with guns without Bruce showing up to kick his rear end every issue. But let's not turn this into a Jason thread. Down that path lies nothing but madness and giant anime titties.

I'm really enjoying Detective. I love Cass being the 'big guy' on the team that they send in to kick all the bad guys' asses. And the weird costume is growing on me a little, but I think I preferred the hooded version from B&R:E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Also, I think the current Spoiler costume is growing on me. I still prefer the old version though.

I prefer the new costume because it has the half-mask. I never felt like the expressionless full-face mask fit a character that's supposed to be as outgoing and expressive as Steph.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I always want to read the Morrison Bat-epic, as there are parts I haven't gotten to, but I was so bummed by that last issue. After years of "Batman is totally awesome and can do anything," it seems to end with "Batman is totally lame and kids' stuff." I wonder if he had the same ending planned before the New 52 happened and hosed everything up.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Tynion has stated on twitter that Harper will at least show up in the upcoming arc of Detective, so...

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I was incredibly disappointed that the bat-buildings didn't form a giant robot to fight the last monster man.

And yeah, the final confrontation with Strange was the definition of underwhelming.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I like how every time Batman gets his back broken, it's treated like even less of a debilitating condition that haunts you for the rest of your life. Like this time, he fixes it in about five minutes and is perfectly fine. He didn't even have the magic rope from TDKR!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I didn't really like this arc of Detective Comics. The Villain Syndicate basically amounts to nothing, and Steph goes completely off the rails. I don't really like that they're already changing up the team when I feel like we didn't get much of a chance to explore the current team dynamic.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Tynion has said that Batwoman isn't going anywhere in Detective. I'm just bummed because a huge draw for me was having Steph and Cass finally on the same team together, and that only lasted a brief time and we only got a tiny amount of interaction between them.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Inevitable Ross posted:

Who else liked the author on the book Christine was reading?

Apparently she was name-dropped way back in Supergirl #2 of all things as well:

Here's hoping she doesn't turn out to be some super-secret even worse than Shiva villain or something and is the one decent member of Cass's biological family. Or dead like she was in the old continuity, I guess.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

They set up the fun outing to the ballet, and then the comic runs out of pages and it doesn't happen! I felt betrayed! :argh:

Edit: Also, I'm not sure how much I liked the resolution to this arc. I loved the ending to Cass's arc (though she totally should have gotten at least a new bat-themed costume or something), but Shiva is resolved with a pretty literal deus ex machina. It all seems like a setup for another arc. Now we've got the mystery of why Shiva was so pissed off at Ra's and what she whispered to Cass. And I'm guessing Shiva's gonna get resurrected in a Lazarus Pit so she's not gonna be dead for long.

Darth Nat fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2017

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm not really into this new direction for Steph, especially since she comes across as maybe the biggest hypocrite ever. It really blows my mind that in the Rebirth world, I think Cass and Clayface have a stronger friendship than Cass and Steph.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm going to be super upset whenever Clayface inevitably backslides into villainy. His friendship with Cass is too good.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I didn't really like the part where the Riddler lists off the names of the guards' daughters, and they just let him leave for some reason. I don't really get how letting him go logically follows from him knowing who their families are. You'd think it would be more incentive for them to either shoot him or make sure he stays in custody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Doing a whole lot of nothing with the Gotham Knights group in 'tec. The book's been a bit hit and miss for me since Rebirth, but Tynion hasn't really handled any of the women on the team particularly well. Cass has gotten some good, standout moments and has a cute dynamic with Clayface at times, but she mostly tends to just... hang around. Steph's been reduced to "Tim's drama inducer" and is pretty far out of character, and Batwoman is mostly just there for the sake of it despite supposedly being the team's leader/mentor.

I don't know, I think Cass is probably one of the best characters in the book and the Cass/Clayface friendship is one of the few subplots that works pretty much 100% of the time. It's just a shame that Tynion's so obsessed with his villain OCs, the Victim Syndicate and the Colony, since they're both pretty tired and boring at this point, yet all signs point to them dominating the book for the foreseeable future.

Like I said in the DC thread a while back, Detective could use a few issues that are just about character building or the team hanging out and less status quo-disrupting events. The team pretty much doesn't even have a status quo since it gets disrupted every arc. I think the best issue in the book was probably the one that was just Cass going around and being depressed, and it was just setting up some things for the future and exploring her character. We need more of that, and less THE VICTIM SYNDICATE ARE BACK! AND OH NO, WILL KATE JOIN THE COLONY??? crap.

Agreed about Steph, though. It's clear he draws a lot of inspiration from the early Dixon take on the character, but she's been pretty insufferable for a while now.

• Locked thread