Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best dog race
Lab
Bulldog
Retreiver
German shepherd
Beagle
Poodle
Collie
Yorkie
Boxer
Rott
Dash
poo poo on sue
Chiwawa (?!)
Husky
Cat
Spaniel
Pug
Bull terrier
Great dane
Doobieman
Sheepdog
Eddie from Fraser
Corgi
Whatever lassie is
Other pls state
View Results

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Akkabar Abdul posted:

Haha, i was actually just thinking that.

And to the guy below, his lineage average age is 10.
He's got a grandmom that lived to 11.

Nothing like the mutt i had that lived for 16 years but ill take 10 with these dogs gladly. Had one die on me just shy of 5 of a heart attack.

Wow 10 as an average is really loving good for that size of dog. You don't even get more than 12 outta a big lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Nathilus posted:

Aussies own but they are really high maintence. Have you ever had a gf who will tear your house down and try to kill you if you dont go on a date with her every single day? Aussies are extremely similar.

Also they tend to be hella standoffish to strangers. Herd dog distrust I suppose. Its kinda cute to have your dog visibly and clearly snub someone who comes up and tries to be friendly, but you really gotta watch em. They are quite goonish and sometimes will bite.

sweat to god, if your dog snubbed me i'd slap the poo poo out that bitch

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
you missed a good one OP

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My dog snubs people and it owns

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gannyGrabber posted:

you missed a good one OP

You piece of poo poo son of a bitch!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Gaunab posted:

sweat to god, if your dog snubbed me i'd slap the poo poo out that bitch

I've seen my mom's aussie turn his head away, put his nose in the air, and refuse to make eye contact with friendly strangers. Its one of the most humanlike things I've ever seen a dog do. If they keep trying to gently caress with him at that point he'll look at them out of the corner of his eye with an extremely obvious "gently caress off" expression. It's kinda cute imo. He's a goon basically.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

takin aim at your heart

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Rott.

gently caress pugs.

gently caress Corgis too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's basset hound. Big eared, droopy, lazy, selfish bastard basset hounds.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

breaklaw posted:

Rott.

gently caress pugs.

gently caress Corgis too.

All dogs under 50 pounds deserve to be holocausted. Toy dogs deserve to be torture-holocausted along with their sick gently caress owners. I'm willing to grant exceptions to particular small dog breeds that were bred small for specific badass stuff like chasing motherfucked badgers in badger holes.

Otherwise, small dogs are all the same. Obnoxiously yappy, stupid as gently caress, Napoleon complexes. If you own one I hate you and think you should die painfully.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
anyone kno the ideal dose to weight ratio of xanax to give a dog thats having an ongoing thunderstorm meltdown??

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ill take 40 n 50 lb dogs all day

Bulldogs however should all be recycled into upholstery

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
chow chows and chow chow mutts are very good

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GeneX posted:

chow chows and chow chow mutts are very good

Chow as an ingredient is pretty pro-tier. Prettiest dog I have ever seen was half chow, half wolf. One of the sweetest and most patient dogs I've ever spent time with was half chow, half black lab.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Akkabar Abdul posted:

Haha, i was actually just thinking that.

And to the guy below, his lineage average age is 10.
He's got a grandmom that lived to 11.

Nothing like the mutt i had that lived for 16 years but ill take 10 with these dogs gladly. Had ones that die on me just shy of 5 of a heart attack.

I had a mastiff that was the best dog ever, but heart problems did him in at 6. Never again, no more giant dogs with lifespans of a fruit fly. I love 'em, and it's just too goddamn sad.

That said, my son's mastiff made it to 10 without major health problems, which pretty good, considering.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Macasaurus posted:

takin aim at your heart

a berry skilled doge

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Serious post: A properly trained Doberman is a very good dog and they tend to be exceptionally loyal 'one person' dogs.

Also a Beagle saved me from the cops when I was a teenager, so I'm a fan.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Nathilus posted:

Wow 10 as an average is really loving good for that size of dog. You don't even get more than 12 outta a big lab.

My three goldens died at 10 (cancer), 11 (heart attack), and 12 (morbid obesity/making GBS threads self to death). 10 for a giant breed is a goddamned miracle.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Chow as an ingredient is pretty pro-tier. Prettiest dog I have ever seen was half chow, half wolf. One of the sweetest and most patient dogs I've ever spent time with was half chow, half black lab.

I have a chow/golden retriever/potentially more mix, and he's adorable and incredibly nice to everyone but the mailman

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Cats

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

reported

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

GeneX posted:

nice to everyone but the mailman

Dog psychology 101. The mailan comes to the door almost ever day and never comes in. Ergo, the mailman is not welcome here so I should bark/growl/steal his shoes.

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I like Boston Terriers because most dogs were bred for a real purpose, like retrieving ducks for you or eating rats or guarding your sheep from rapists, but bostons were bred for the sole purpose of being your little buddies.

You are correct.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The actual best dogs are Greyhounds. They run like crazy for like 20 minutes and spend the rest of the day napping on your couch.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Nathilus posted:

Aussies own but they are really high maintence. Have you ever had a gf who will tear your house down and try to kill you if you dont go on a date with her every single day? Aussies are extremely similar.

My brother's 14 year old Australian Shepherd is exactly like this. If she doesn't get her required 3 miles of walking, half hour of fetch, and half hour of training games, she will spend all night going into the bathrooms of the house and seeing how far she can pull a strand of toilet paper off of the roll without tearing it. The same if she hears a coyote howling outside and isn't allowed out to fight it. You can always tell if Boomerang has was unhappy overnight when you wake up because you'll see a perfect strand of toilet paper going out of each bathroom and all the way down the hall and either down the stairs or across the living room etc.

When we were in college, he had this book of tricks for smart dogs, and it had a plan for teaching them to bring you a drink by doing it in stages. The plan was to teach them to bring a towel on command, then hang the towel off the door of the fridge and teach them to pull the door open, then wrap the towel around a coke and have them bring that, and finally teach them to bring just the can. But Boomerang learned how to open the fridge door, slide the meat drawer open and have a balogna and hotdog party on the kitchen floor. He and his roommates had to ducttape the fridge shut forever, and whenever the dog went to a new house to visit, she would head straight to the kitchen to see if there was a towel hanging off the fridge door for her to pull it open.

That dog is still worth it.

For a lower maintenance dog, we grew up with a Bull Terrier, and he was the most lovable dumb-dumb you ever met. He only learned a few rudimentary tricks, and he got confused easily, but if you want a best friend who will spend every minute at your side and be ten times as enthusiastic as you are about everything you do together, that's your guy.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

GeneX posted:

reported

Ignored

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Bull terriers are definitely good dogs

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Cavaliers

Kinda goofy looking yet prissy at the same time but exemplifies the notion "man's best friend" as they were bred to essentially be the heating system of early coaches.

While naturally are horrible watchdogs as they'd welcome a burglar into your home that might be an advantage if the burglar is an unloved individual and you have a home security system.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DOMDOM posted:

Ill take 40 n 50 lb dogs all day

Bulldogs however should all be recycled into upholstery

bulldogs are as healthy as spanish habsburgs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I met a pug once, he was a nice dog. gently caress the pug breeding community though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

texas heeler.

it's not a real breed but a deliberate mixing of two or three breeds, so little/no inbreeding, long lived, small-medium sized, insanely good w people and capable of incredible violence to anything it perceives as a threat while also not carrying an inbred murder-dog chip on its shoulder like actual attack/guard breeds.

they basically look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9r0Lr6iIek

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Pugs are an abomination.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

There is a poll...

I want a dog, leaning towards collie because I hear they are the least racist.

Dog gifs welcome

Assuming your dog is representative of the breed, collies are objectively superior. Faster and smarter than your average hound and cute too. Fairly easily available, solidly built and have a decent life span. Your only issue here, as with most working breeds, is can you give it 3-4 hours a day of vigorous outdoor exercise. If not then please don't get a collie or any working dog, as it will destroy your house, piss off your neighbours and be miserable. If you're at work a lot, get a cat and a cat flap so it can do its own thing.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Samoyeds, huskies, and malamutes.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the best dog is a dog that's just a dog. like, you ask the owner what kind of dog it is and they're like "yeah, he's like 90% dog I'm pretty sure"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Catahoula represent.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
the best dog is any dog I am currently playing with / petting

unfortunately I can't have my own dog so right now Best Dog is my friend's ancient pug

ugly motherfucker, smells weirdly fishy, general "is a pug" problems

but he likes playing fetch and having his chest scratched so w/e I take what I can get when it comes to dogs

as far as breeds go, idk the Czechoslovakian Vlçak / "wolfdog" is p cute, they look like coyotes

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
i like dags

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My parents have Rhodesian Ridgebacks, they are prissy assholes who will eat your sandwich off the counter and what are you gonna do bitch it's gone in .034 seconds because they are ASSHOLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Akkabar Abdul posted:

my dog:

225 lbs of beef cake

i am so very sorry that you are shrinking :(

will u die?

• Locked thread