Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So one night I was over at a friends house drinking. She *loves* this show. I can't see the appeal but hey, she's got a liquor cabinet that's at least half full and she's a nice, cool person so I say nothing. I have the distinct honor of watching two and a half episodes. Host gets tired and goes to bed, we change to another show.

This show makes me just think a xerox of a xerox. Like most cartoons that anyone can claim are adult. Family Guy, Rick and Morty, pretty much anything on Fox or Comedy Central. It's as though the rote, reiterative nature of cartoons is crafted for the audience, who scream "More King of Hill! More Southpark!" Like, name your poison, but for the slew of cartoons out there, there's not much difference between them from premise onward. Shows that are good and original usually get cancelled, shows that play it safe get celebrated as different and new and oh so funny (it's none of these).

If it didn't have star power and retarded people pushing it, it would've been in the trash before the first storyboards got drawn.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's a great show which does an overarching plot really well and Gruncle Stan taps into some fundamental Uncleisms like, "I don't think your parents would want you to do that... good thing I'm your uncle!"
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out to you, but you are in like every kids show thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Gravity falls was awesome. Alex Hirsch is a super talented guy and a surprisingly diverse voice actor.

I always loved that Soos was a real nickname - it's short for Jesus!

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

phasmid posted:

If it didn't have star power and retarded people pushing it, it would've been in the trash before the first storyboards got drawn.

I think that's incorrect

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I think that's incorrect
I think you will find that it is correct. It's no coincidence - especially with Disney - that they've used traditional actors to voice their shows for decades now. Name recognition trumps talent. Not to say Kristen Schaal isn't funny, but she's the exception to a company that said "we really NEED Matthew Broderick to be Simba. An unknown just won't do!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

phasmid posted:

Gravity Falls had star power?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

phasmid posted:

I think you will find that it is correct. It's no coincidence - especially with Disney - that they've used traditional actors to voice their shows for decades now. Name recognition trumps talent. Not to say Kristen Schaal isn't funny, but she's the exception to a company that said "we really NEED Matthew Broderick to be Simba. An unknown just won't do!"

The creator of the show voices the majority of the main characters and is a cool guy irl

But you were saying you dont like Rick and Morty too so I dunno man, its a shame you don't like all these cartoons

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rick and Morty...shame cartoons
Yes.

Also, I don't care if the creator of a show can do a two minute keg stand and cures AIDS the next day, it doesn't automatically make him talented or funny.*

Schwarzwald posted:

Gravity Falls had star power?
Looking at the IMDb I see Schaal, Stephen Root, JK Simmons, John DiMaggio for starters. These people are well established celebrities.

e* with regard to writing cartoons that is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

phasmid posted:

Who cares. It's a good show that unlike other kids shows, is written with the thought in mind that the audience is intelligent. On top of that, there is an overarching storyline that has a satisfying conclusion. GF is a legit good show. It will probably grow in popularity as more people come to realize this fact.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Waltzing Along posted:

Who cares. It's a good show that unlike other kids shows, is written with the thought in mind that the audience is intelligent.
No TV show is written with the thought in mind that the audience is intelligent.

Not if they want to stay on the air.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Who cares. It's a good show that unlike other kids shows, is written with the thought in mind that the audience is intelligent. On top of that, there is an overarching storyline that has a satisfying conclusion. GF is a legit good show. It will probably grow in popularity as more people come to realize this fact.

source your quotes

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

phasmid posted:

I don't care if the creator of a show can do a two minute keg stand and cures AIDS the next day, it doesn't automatically make him talented or funny.

Haha now thats what I'm talking about

They should have you be the one out here writing comedy for the award winning disney cartoons

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

phasmid posted:

Looking at the IMDb I see Schaal, Stephen Root, JK Simmons, John DiMaggio for starters. These people are well established celebrities.

Huh, I didn't recognize Root and DiMaggio. That's probably on me, though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

They should have you be the one out here writing comedy for the award winning disney cartoons
And your "cool" irl friend should be hung from a gibbet.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

phasmid posted:

Incredibly racist but ok

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Incredibly racist but ok
Nice try, Frog. You're not as noble as you were back in 96.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

phasmid posted:

You've gone from, "I saw a few episodes at a friends house and I didn't care for it," to "every TV show is terrible," to literally advocating murder.

What the gently caress?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Schwarzwald posted:

You've gone from, "I saw a few episodes at a friends house and I didn't care for it," to "every TV show is terrible," to literally advocating murder.

What the gently caress?
somethingsensitive is thataway, pally.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

phasmid posted:

Well, for most of us, who are not spending the majority of their time with animated shows, most of those names mean nothing. (I have seen Schaal in Flight of the Conchords, though).

I guess that these people are "celebrities" among the relatively small group of adults who care way too much about animated shows, like furries, cosplayers and such. And I guess people like you have a right to be upset about their obsession, just like anybody else. The rest of us are basically just happy to have a show we can enjoy with our kids.

So, relax and try to discover other art forms, any maybe you can learn to put animated TV shows and their "celebrities" into context, instead of trying to come across as an aloof intellectual on a dying comedy forum.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 15, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ibogaine posted:

Well, for most of us, who don't obsess about animated shows 24/7, most of those names mean nothing. (I have seen Schaal in Flight of the Conchords, though). This is why we can enjoy it as the entertainment it is.

Simmons was J Jonah Jameson in Spider Man and DiMaggio is one of the most famous baseball players who ever lived. Hope this helps.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Simmons was J Jonah Jameson in Spider Man and DiMaggio is one of the most famous baseball players who ever lived. Hope this helps.

Oh, cool, I mistook him for the guy from "KISS".

Didn't DiMaggio beat up Marilyn Monroe when they were married?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ibogaine posted:

Oh, cool, I mistook him for the guy from "KISS".

Didn't DiMaggio beat up Marilyn Monroe when they were married?

I thought that was Babe Ruth?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Applewhite posted:

I thought that was Babe Ruth?

I don't think it was legal for women to marry candy bars in the 50s.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ibogaine posted:

I don't think it was legal for women to marry candy bars in the 50s.

She was a birthday cake tho?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Applewhite posted:

She was a birthday cake tho?

I don't know. I liked the interview she gave in that Michael Moore film, though.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
why would you want to see a child's cartoon unless you are one or multiple of the following: high as gently caress, a child, or a pedophile.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

why would you want to see a child's cartoon unless you are one or multiple of the following: high as gently caress, a child, or a pedophile.

I agree, ban the pedophile OP.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fits my needs posted:

What if you're a manchild?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Applewhite posted:

You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/OJ9VBMBS3qE

Personally, I think Buffalo Stance was better.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

depends if the manchild in question likes star trek too. if so, through the aatrek principle they are a pedophile.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

fits my needs posted:

depends if the manchild in question likes star trek too. if so, through the aatrek principle they are a pedophile.

While Star Trek is a popular show, it is a bit concerning that over 97% of pedophiles arrested by one unit were Star Trek fans. Which reminds me of the sad fact that many of the Vreenak photoshop thread's images are broken. :( However the many, many, many goons who enjoy Star Trek can still enjoy the Vreenak video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWQIiFxjbc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-ladowsky/pedophilia-and-star-trek_b_5857.html

phasmid posted:

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out to you, but you are in like every kids show thread.

Sometimes people misinterpret reality, especially in a way that reinforces our preconceived notions.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

While Star Trek is a popular show, it is a bit concerning that over 97% of pedophiles arrested by one unit were Star Trek fans. Which reminds me of the sad fact that many of the Vreenak photoshop thread's images are broken. :( However the many, many, many goons who enjoy Star Trek can still enjoy the Vreenak video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWQIiFxjbc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-ladowsky/pedophilia-and-star-trek_b_5857.html

Sometimes people misinterpret reality, especially in a way that reinforces our preconceived notions.

That statistic is fake. The officer used the number off the cuff and later said it was a lot but not nearly 97%.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
GF is fun. It's like if Simpsons was all Treehouse of Horror and ended after two seasons.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

fits my needs posted:

For me it's the first one

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
You should definitely get high as gently caress and watch this show. Or, if you have a child, it is a good show to watch with them. Taught my kid all about inter-dimensional anomalies.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Watch more cartoons, yo.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Acting does not come into play in an animated format. :confused:

ummmm

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sorry, there should be a ? on the end of that sentence. Hence the confused smilie.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Sorry, there should be a ? on the end of that sentence. Hence the confused smilie.

well thankyou for respecting our ancient and venerable craft

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Quantum Finger posted:

You should definitely get high as gently caress and watch this show. Or, if you have a child, it is a good show to watch with them. Taught my kid all about inter-dimensional anomalies.

My kids loving love this show. Thus I've watched the entire thing. And I have to agree with my kids, it's a funny show with cool themes. Bill Cipher.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
really looks like a baby cartoon for people with mental issues with their heads

• Locked thread