Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Fleve posted:

I could cast the spell to summon an ice elemental during time stop, but the actual summoning would only take effect after time stop ran out. Kinda like how arrows just hang around in the air until time starts moving again. Sometimes this has weird effects, like it looked like my fire arrows just pass through people.

I can charge up a fireball, but when I release the button it just acts like I released it too early. Doesn't matter how long I hold it. It's weird because I used to be able to do it, but at some point it just stopped working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Still interest in me posting that load order of mods I've gotten working with enderal so far? It's mostly stuff out of the Enderal mod comparability spreadsheet or whatever, but it's a pretty good set up right now and everything works without a hitch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
:justpost:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm so tired of being talked at.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

A.o.D. posted:

I'm so tired of being talked at.

I feel your pain, but at least this is a proper rpg, bethesda should hire these guys to make a decent story / world for once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I feel your pain, but at least this is a proper rpg, bethesda should hire these guys to make a decent story / world for once.

lol

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

TorakFade posted:

Don't be dissing Nirn, n'wah

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TorakFade posted:

The story and writing is garbage, though.

I mean, I cut it some slack for being an amateur effort, but its lack of quality is compounded by how much they subject you to it, and how damned unskippable a lot of it is.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well i find it miles better than anything bethesda ever made, and I am actually reading stuff and want to know how it will end, while I skipped over everything in oblivion and Skyrim.. might be just me though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The worst thing is Enderal (like Skyrim) is prone to crashing all the time and it has a tendency to do so after long unskippable scenes of NPCs talking at you.

Also, while I don't think the story is anything at all special, I'd like to see Bethesda hire the dude or dudes are doing all the level design because they have a real talent for making cool looking scenes and mixing stuff up so dungeons don't have the really cookie-cutter feel that Bethesda always does.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Set design is absolutely Enderal's strongest point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Set design is absolutely Enderal's strongest point.
Does it have anything like that long journey you took through some underground ruins in Nehrim? I remember that being really cool.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zereth posted:

Does it have anything like that long journey you took through some underground ruins in Nehrim? I remember that being really cool.

I never played Nehrim.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Zereth posted:

Yup! There's a few Dwemer Starling ruins that have that feel.

On the topic of mods: most of the added creature models were excellent but I hated how the Myrads looked (wtf flying four-eyed goats), so I replaced the mesh and turned them into Gryphons.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there anywhere to check steam sales or player activity, sorta curious if there was a noticeable spike in skyrim sales over enderal or not.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I don't know about sales, but there's a bump in player activity both around the release of the German version (July 3) and the release of the English version (August 14).

https://steamdb.info/app/72850/graphs/

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I got the talent that lets me sell stolen goods to any merchant. And I got that early. So by the time I made it to Ark, I had almost 8k gold after maxxing skill points as much as I could (archery / sneak / light armor / rhetoric / lock picking). Bought myself the noble house... Now I need to get even more money to furnish it. I found a couple of merchants with housing blueprints and I can't stop playing this gaaaaaame

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Well, killed a dragon at level 15. Hide behind rocks, plink a few bowshots, retreat n repeat. It dropped an amazing new sword for me that does like 14 damage. It's neat that they rebalanced such that a relatively minor increase (from 8 to 14) feels so amazingly more powerful. I'd be throwing away 14 damage swords in skyrim after a couple of hours; here, it's godly.

Some complaints:
- it seems interest caps at 250 daily? If so that's dumb. You have a constant outflow of gold; hoarding is hard and players should be rewarded for saving.
- the pet AI is still buggy (but better than skyrim and pets are great mostly). My ice elemental often turned around and lumbered away, even before being hit once.
- crafting skills are underwhelming. They said something about crafting being the only way to make the most powerful artifacts in the game; maybe I'm not there yet.
- a fair few crashes still remain, but nothing has broken my progress so far.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah the follower/pet AI can be aggravating at times, and it seems to blend over into combat AI as well. Depending on I don't know what variable, there's a chance that the goat-people will just straight up run away from my summons. There's also a good chance that my summoned elementals run off in a random direction during a fight. I've also had Jespar run in a giant circle to get to me, aggro'ing multiple crystal elementals in the process. At some point he just stopped following me and I didn't notice. So I engaged a group, blew all my talents and thought, "great, now it's about time for Josef to jump in and tank for a bit". I looked around and he was standing there atop a hill half a mile away.

There are no crafting recipes higher than 50, but depending on your character it might be worth it. At 50 you can make the best backpack (60 weight iirc), as well as the highest weapons/armors. I think they planned to add more special stuff at higher requirements, but that never made it into the game. Stuff you craft yourself generally has better damage/armor, especially when upgraded, but it's a bit of a tossup whether raw armor/damage outweighs the benefits of already enchanted items like sets, because you can't improve armor/weapons as well as enchant them. Also, apparently you don't need both lockpicking skills as well as lockpicking talents. Seems putting points into either of them is sufficient. I always thought the lockpicking skill would make it easier, whereas the talents would just enable opening higher level locks, so it seems I wasted a shitton of points. Oh well.

Apart from that, though, I love the whole talent system. Skyrim's shouts were fun, but I never felt they were necessary, and the shared cooldown meant you couldn't use them much anyway. I use talents a lot more often in Enderal and if I don't then I'm pretty much dead on the highest difficulty with my squishy archer/mage combo. Chaining multiple crowd control talents makes it a lot of fun to fight groups; freezing enemies, stopping time and stunning enemies, tripping and slowing them down with oil, summoning an aggro-pull dwemer-spider. Although some talents are a bit too powerful. The dwemer spider thing seems to have 100% uptime because the skill has zero cooldown as long as you don't explode it manually.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I remember someone posting in this thread about modding the amount of memory points you get per level. Anyone remember this post?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Finally got back to the main quest after screwing around for tens of hours and Silvergrove loving broke me. Worst a game has made me feel in a long time. Well done, Enderal!

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Ripper Swarm posted:

The hunter lady who has a stall near the marketplace player house also buys jewellery, although iirc she doesn't have a lot of cash by default. Still, it's a good place to dump enchanted necklaces if you also want to buy sneak-type skill books :ninja:

I have no problem with using the console to add gold to merchants (not to myself); it's the literal equivalent of heading to your bed and sleeping for a couple of weeks until they replenish their gold stock. I don't consider it cheating, since, as I say, there's an in-game way to do it (but the in-game way to do it takes ~30 loading screens and that's a lot for a somewhat finicky mod).

To do so, just bring up the console near the merchant, select the merchant, and type "additem f xxx" where xxx is the amount of gold you want to add. You don't need to be in the menu with the merchant, or in dialog with the merchant. Just click 'em and add.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Thursday Next posted:

- it seems interest caps at 250 daily? If so that's dumb. You have a constant outflow of gold; hoarding is hard and players should be rewarded for saving.

I just checked, and, yes, this is true. Your interest rate caps at a whopping 250g daily. Considering how important gold is in game, and how much the higher-end skillbooks cost, I would REALLY like a way to increase this. I'd be happy to increase it by questing, or by buying higher status (pay 10k gold to increase that by 50?). I recognize that questing may not be practical since that's a lot of new content, but some way to increase that is needed.

I had hoped to parlay my early acquisition of the Fence talent (sell stolen poo poo to regular merchants, woo!) into enough of a nest egg to roll that into some high-level skillbook money when I needed it. It seems like they don't want you to do that, which makes the Fence talent a lot less useful. I could just not take it, and use the Fence in Ark.

Does anyone know a way to set that interest rate using console, hex editor, or the creation kit?

Edit: Question still stands, but it seems I may have been mistaken with costs for maxing a skill line. I thought the Mastery books from 75-100 were 30,000g each... they aren't.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 15, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

At 100 rhetoric the last 75-100 stretch costs me about 17k. That's a decent chunk of money. But how easy it is to pay that seems to mostly depend on what level you're at. If you try to level one skill from 0 to 100 asap, you'll run into a lot of money problems. Leveling about 3 skills simultaneously gets you through the mid-game stretch where at best the loot you find brings in a few 100's per item. Once you can safely pillage three and four star regions, every time your inventory is full you probably have around 10-30k of value on you, especially if you're willing to sell set items you'll never wear anyway.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the whole patching thing. From what I gather when I played modded Skyrim, adding and removing things mid-game is a sure recipe to gently caress up your save game. The latest patch only seems to add bard songs, so that's cool, but I think I'd rather not patch anything else in my current game. All I've got left to do is the desert and a few spots up north and then I'm done. Just put a whole bunch of points into healing/alteration, and the magic armor upgrade plus magic resistance of that tree makes you near immortal.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Finally finished it. The last act was really something, even with the Mass Effect parallels. Everything from the airship ride to the underground Pyrean city and the Machine was a rollercoaster.

It's not the perfect story, I guess, and it has metric tons of jank, but I couldn't help getting attached to the characters and the world through the 70 or so hours I played, and the emotional investment really helped ignore the flaws. Even when subtitles stopped working midway through the second to last mission. Or when I had to restart the (unskippable) dialogue with the Machine twice because of crashes.

My PC ending up with Jespar, sitting out the Cleansing in the Starling City, presumably making babies (can Fleshless get pregnant?), to me, felt much more gratifying than beating Alduin and a bunch of dead vikings going "yay".

So yeah, awesome mod. Looking forward to playing the next one in the early-mid 2020s.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I made a very teeny tiny mod that adds three Ambrosia potions to the Sun Temple alchemist's store inventory.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just did the song in the silence quest. God that was awful, the "twist" could be seen from the start and the protagonist was extremely annoying.

Is there much left to the game main quest? I have all the mcguffins now and just need to turn them in, I'd think I am almost done

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
You're about the enter the final act which is, in my opinion, amazing, but YMMV depending on how invested in the story you are. There are a few (I think 3) moderately lengthy quests left.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Still interest in me posting that load order of mods I've gotten working with enderal so far? It's mostly stuff out of the Enderal mod comparability spreadsheet or whatever, but it's a pretty good set up right now and everything works without a hitch.
yes please. If not you then someone else do it. I'm holding off on playing until I work out a good list

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a mod that lets me play Enderal's plot and locations with the default Skyrim gameplay?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Is there a mod that lets me play Enderal's plot and locations with the default Skyrim gameplay?

There's a mod that gives you fast travel back, and another that lets you wait without finding a bed.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Sean Payton must be fired.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yes please. If not you then someone else do it. I'm holding off on playing until I work out a good list

Been playing destiny. Will post tonight.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just started this

Do I just suck, or is the beginning kinda hard? Most things kill you in a couple hits, you really can't heal yourself and your damage output is weak.

Arcane Feaver sucks

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just started this

Do I just suck, or is the beginning kinda hard? Most things kill you in a couple hits, you really can't heal yourself and your damage output is weak.

Arcane Feaver sucks

It's pretty hard at first. I just ran from things until I got to the first town and then went back to the areas I skipped later.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Is there a mod to improve the world map? It's a really ugly mess and hard to navigate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is it just me who starts singing "I've got arcane fever, I've got it toooooooooo" a la Muppets Treasure Island every time you get an arcane fever notification

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got to Riverwood or whatever and a weird kid called Sillas keeps walking up and stopping a few feet away from me and I can't talk to him. I'm assuming something has gone wrong here. It happens even if I load a save

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's just a scavenger hunt sort of thing with some confusing directions that ends in a couple hundred coins and a sword, don't worry about it

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
He's an annoying sounding fucker too, be glad he doesn't talk to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

km2
Jul 27, 2012
All right, finished a story quest and off to my Memories to unlock some skil...

... who the gently caress are you and how did you get into my head

Man, Enderal's postal service is top notch, have some coins.

By the way, how are you going to get bac...

Oh.... :smith:

• Locked thread