Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Much less one that released the monsters into the facility? When would that ever be useful or desirable?

All the nightmare creatures in the world and the only safeguard is a flip cap over a switch and a big, red candy-like button. No key (or, better yet, dual key) safeguards or anything.

It's a wonder it took the SCP Foundation that long to get wiped out if they were that sloppy with security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Much less one that released the monsters into the facility? When would that ever be useful or desirable?

All the nightmare creatures in the world and the only safeguard is a flip cap over a switch and a big, red candy-like button. No key (or, better yet, dual key) safeguards or anything.

It's a wonder it took the SCP Foundation that long to get wiped out if they were that sloppy with security.

Requirement of the old god.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know man, but it seems like most problems in horror films could be avoided by people simply not having sex. :colbert:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Its because you touch yourself at night, OP.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

Its because you touch yourself at night, OP.

I need to stop doing that, it seems to be the source of most of the world's troubles.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every time you flick your bean a little chicken loses its wings (to the deep fryer) :angel:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Because, it at least bears the slightest chance of completing the "old ones" prophecy, should the worst come to pass.

That's it. It's a shittely thought out fail safe in a bad, yet highly entertaining, movie.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Cabin in the Woods is probably the best horror movie of 21st century so far tbh

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yeah it is. like by far.

but i agree applewhite lolk

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its the only good thing joss whedon ever did

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Maybe it was a self-destruct button on purpose, for some unlikely scenario like, I dunno, a foreign army attempting to capture the facility and weaponize the monsters or something.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

nigga crab pollock posted:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
5th season of Angel was good, which probably means he had nothing to do with beyond his name in the credits at that point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
5th season was actually the first one he was able to give his full attention to on account of him no longer running 3 shows at once :smug:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Argue posted:

5th season was actually the first one he was able to give his full attention to on account of him no longer running 3 shows at once :smug:

Wild weird stuff. Buffy should've ended at season 5, I think Angel had some life left in it. :shrug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ehh is there really much competition? I can't really think of many. I guess there were decent ones like descent, session 9, trick r treat, triangle, and some others

Actually It follows might be the best now that I think about it

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm not sure OP I think we should all split up we can cover more ground that way

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't think Cabin in the Woods is actually even a horror movie but it's a good movie. Best horror movie so far this millennium was It Follows.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Cabin in the Woods is a genre mocumentary with the world's most solidly planned B unit

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It was actually poo poo as a horror movie. It barely worked as a comedy and the entire premise is "lol horror movies do this". The only good part was when they were messing with the gas station guy on the phone.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
joss whedon

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Applewhite posted:

a big, red candy-like button.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Woden
May 6, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think having a "i want everyone here including myself to die" button makes perfect sense. i'm not sure why they haven't caught on.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
to keep this from happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQxuUEMiV8

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HoboZero posted:

Cabin in the Woods is a genre mocumentary with the world's most solidly planned B unit

I don't know what that means really but I think I agree

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
why did you click the post thread button

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

VendaGoat posted:

Because, it at least bears the slightest chance of completing the "old ones" prophecy, should the worst come to pass.

That's it. It's a shittely thought out fail safe in a bad, yet highly entertaining, movie.

This kinda makes sense but I always figured it was just part of the perverse horror movie rules these people had to follow. The whole point of the old ones was that normal human sacrifice was too boring for them or w/e. They demanded genre-savvy treatment. The giant "gently caress this gay earth" button is perfectly in line with that.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nathilus posted:

This kinda makes sense but I always figured it was just part of the perverse horror movie rules these people had to follow. The whole point of the old ones was that normal human sacrifice was too boring for them or w/e. They demanded genre-savvy treatment. The giant "gently caress this gay earth" button is perfectly in line with that.

Why not both?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

VendaGoat posted:

Why not both?

Because im always right and I got this mystery by the tail on my lonesome?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The button isn't meant to purge the monsters out of the system, the button is meant to purge The System using the monsters

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
You're asking the wrong question. The button is a metaphor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the party button.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They answered that question in the commentary track, op. It's there in case they need to purge the system.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Well, it was pretty cool, so that's probably why.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If they didn't kill enough people the Ancients would rise and so they had a button to release monsters in to the facility because if all else fails people still need to die.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
it was a bad movie, you're welcome op

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hell Lord
Angry Molesting Tree
Giant Sake
Deadites
Kevin
Mummy
The Bride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

vols bitch posted:

it was a bad movie, you're welcome op

Agreed. I feel like the only person who did not enjoy this movie, but I walked into the theater expecting something completely different than what actually happened, and I have not revisited it.

Also As Above, So Below is the best horror film.

• Locked thread