Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

pencils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Wulfolme posted:

Please suggest choices. Except sucking dick, that suggestion is unhelpful.

because you're already great at it

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Wulfolme posted:

these were totally naked people you might just not be able to tell because theyre pencils now

these were timed naked pencil people drawings and you cannot discern the boobies and et cereal because i didnt make time for the boobies

should i get more better at pencils today goons or should i guitar or something instead

et all yur cereal b4 drewing teh boobies nect time? :shrug:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

these were totally naked people you might just not be able to tell because theyre pencils now

these were timed naked pencil people drawings and you cannot discern the boobies and et cereal because i didnt make time for the boobies

should i get more better at pencils today goons or should i guitar or something instead

You should definitely work on your pencils some more, yeesh. Is that supposed to be gesture? More like boreture

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

>do pencils

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Agreed with holey ghost for the pencils

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Posting, OP. Can I vote "posting"? I'm writing in "posting" right under where I wrote in Goku and checking both boxes.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

op you should do a self portrait of your beautiful, matthew lillard-like countenance in the mirror. do it without lines, just pencil at an angle to make big areas of shadow

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

get gud at wideo gamez

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

are those naked people jazzercising?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
pens :madmax:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gently caress this guy

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hector Beerlioz posted:

gently caress this guy

but cheerwine is good so that's a good directive

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

psychokitty posted:

but cheerwine is good so that's a good directive

If Cheerwine is good he should have said the correct answer

Nothing personal Cheerwine but thems the breaks

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

You should definitely work on your pencils some more, yeesh. Is that supposed to be gesture? More like boreture

what's wrong with them

what am i supposed to be doing in 30 seconds that im leaving out

loquacius posted:

Posting, OP. Can I vote "posting"? I'm writing in "posting" right under where I wrote in Goku and checking both boxes.

i thought we were GBS friends My posting is beautiful

psychokitty posted:

are those naked people jazzercising?

most of them are yeah kinda

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

what's wrong with them

what am i supposed to be doing in 30 seconds that im leaving out
gesture drawing's not really good for beginning drawing, when you start out you wanna do long poses exclusively, since you'll be able to do next to nothing in the short amount of time anyway

e: to qualify that when I was in school beginning poses were 2 1/2 to 5 hours, which gave us a lot of time to start over a few times and learn from mistakes.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 16, 2016

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

gesture drawing's not really good for beginning drawing, when you start out you wanna do long poses exclusively, since you'll be able to do next to nothing in the short amount of time anyway

e: to qualify that when I was in school beginning poses were 2 1/2 to 5 hours, which gave us a lot of time to start over a few times and learn from mistakes.

whenever i try to do one thing for 2.5 hours i become overwhelmed by the paranoia that i should be doing other, potentially more constructive things and then i drop what im doing and go do nothing for 2.5 hours before i take any further action on anything

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Wulfolme posted:

whenever i try to do one thing for 2.5 hours i become overwhelmed by the paranoia that i should be doing other, potentially more constructive things and then i drop what im doing and go do nothing for 2.5 hours before i take any further action on anything

you aren't going to get good at drawing if you can't spend a few hours on it a pop . you won't get fast until you get good. rapid drawing is good for an exercise but the fundamentals come from careful drawing from observation and that takes time

same goes for everything really, if you can't focus for a long time just stick to video games and jerking off

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

if you can't focus for a long time just stick to video games and jerking off
this but make sure you beat it for at least 2.5 hours before you bust

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

a hole-y ghost posted:

this but make sure you beat it for at least 2.5 hours before you bust

Is this even possible! ?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is this even possible! ?
Yes :mrgw:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is this even possible! ?

You've heard of blueballs right? Ever heard of blackballs? :grin:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

OctoberBlues posted:

You've heard of blueballs right? Ever heard of blackballs? :grin:
You're black?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

You're black?

Oh. Um... hmmm. Yes?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Holy poo poo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

literal edgelords itt

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

a hole-y ghost posted:

You're black?

Yeah he gave me permission to say the n word

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

Summon the spirit of psyopmonkey and Joey cat

I can already do that, it's easy. U just gotta post your response to whatever someone is saying and then also post a response/reaction gif. So, not one or th'other, but both at once and also talk about whatever ur doing, like I'm thinking about doing some home renovations in the downstairs kitchen and adding an ensuite bathroom to one of the downstairs bedrooms. This impacts your life not at all, so it's super boring for you and I should know this but I sure don't act like it!!

It's loving infuriating for real!

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Enjoy this brief animation of a torus flying by a cone that I made in an educational version of Maya so that it could render in the background while I worked on a drawing for a lengthy period and faces are hard this chick looks like a gargoyle instead of a naked people

the loving viewport renderer looks better than the drat packaged "High Quality" Arnold renderer and it doesn't put a big gay watermark all over your poo poo

making it a gif makes it awful either way though huh

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 17, 2016

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress this im gonna start over with a picture of an ugly person so I don't feel like i have failed when they end up ugly on the paper

does anyone have a high quality photograph of a high quality ugly person

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Wulfolme posted:

turn off your monitor

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Prince of Space posted:

turn off your monitor

you think i'm high quality?

that's so sweet of you

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Wulfolme posted:

gently caress this im gonna start over with a picture of an ugly person so I don't feel like i have failed when they end up ugly on the paper

just go to byob with this, they're contractually required to support you whereas im just going to tell you to give up or at least stop assaulting our eyes with this poo poo

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i've made drawings that aren't bad in the past, it's just that was 2 or 3 years ago

i think i have one

yeah here's one of like 3 drawings i made that i dont hate now

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 17, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

doesn't matter dude, you're lacking in fundies (that's my abbreviation for "fundamentals," just letting you know ;) ) and basic ideas of how to approach drawing, and you'll have to work on that a lot .. normally I'd try to push you in the right direction but I'm hlaf awake so I will just leave a helpful picture instead.

I always like to say this : you don't get "good" at drawing, you just decrease the frequency of lovely drawings. you'll make something you'll be happy with once in a while, the goal is to learn the things that let you get those more often.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

doesn't matter dude, you're lacking in fundies (that's my abbreviation for "fundamentals," just letting you know ;) ) and basic ideas of how to approach drawing, and you'll have to work on that a lot .. normally I'd try to push you in the right direction but I'm hlaf awake so I will just leave a helpful picture instead.

I always like to say this : you don't get "good" at drawing, you just decrease the frequency of lovely drawings. you'll make something you'll be happy with once in a while, the goal is to learn the things that let you get those more often.

I like that way of describing it

i appreciate this post and also our friendship

we can talk more about pencils tomorrow!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Wulfolme posted:

i've made drawings that aren't bad in the past, it's just that was 2 or 3 years ago

i think i have one

yeah here's one of like 3 drawings i made that i dont hate now

back to being nice, the key thing I was taught once is that you gotta avoid drawing from the imagination and try to draw what you're actually seeing. our brains are good at assembling patterns out of incomplete information so if you're not looking out for it you start automatically drawing stuff a certain way - like when you were drawing that woman a few posts back where you just chucked some facial features any old place on the front of an oval. it's clear it's meant to be a head but it's obviously not what you were seeing in front of you.

try looking at negative space in your drawings, the spaces that aren't the thing you're drawing. your brain can't make assumptions about those so you're more likely to be able to replicate what you're seeing on paper. for instance if you're drawing a mug draw the inside of the loop of the handle and the wedge of space between the sides of the cup and the table. take your time and make sure these shapes are the right size and in proper relation to one another and nudge them around using an eraser. once you got the hang of that move on to shading and doing more and more complicated compositions

also try to draw stuff in real life and not off the computer because replicating a 3d object in 2d is part of the skill, the computer just shows you a 2d image

take all this with a grain of salt because i'm not real good myself.

also i was serious about byob, they have a couple of art threads at any time and you can start a new one to get advice, help or possibly mocked

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
With that horrible gargoyle woman I really was trying to draw the general shape of each feature instead of just what I'd imagine lips or some poo poo to look like. Sometimes I even unfocus my eyes so that I'm not seeing a mouth, I'm just seeing a dark patch against a light patch and I draw the shape of the dark patch. I think that I'm just not good enough at the pencils yet to be making a good face that's only an inch across and I should either use much larger paper or avoid non-headshot faces altogether until i've had more practice.

as you might have surmised i do not frequently encounter nude humans standing stock still, male or female. i should get back into the classes for this stuff at my college-soulprison but i don't want to bring undying shame onto myself with my heavily decayed skills

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Wulfolme posted:

With that horrible gargoyle woman I really was trying to draw the general shape of each feature instead of just what I'd imagine lips or some poo poo to look like. Sometimes I even unfocus my eyes so that I'm not seeing a mouth, I'm just seeing a dark patch against a light patch and I draw the shape of the dark patch. I think that I'm just not good enough at the pencils yet to be making a good face that's only an inch across and I should either use much larger paper or avoid non-headshot faces altogether until i've had more practice.

do both, you'll get more mileage out of still lifes

• Locked thread