Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

What ARE you playing
Crusader Kings 2 is an amazing Grand Strategy Game made by Paradox. It is a game about families, people, of Gods and Kings. It is also, terrifyingly enough, a game that will make you question your morality. In the names of one player: "I thought I was a moral person. I wasn't." There was an excellent LP for anyone who has not ever played this game before done right here on this very forum, Here

Wait, doesn't this game take place in Medieval Europe and Asia?
Normally yes! But today we're using the excellent After The End mod, which sets the game is a post apocalyptic Western Hemisphere centuries after an unknown apocalypse wiped out civilization. America has fallen, but the legacies of the Old World live on. You can get the most recent version of the mod Here

Okay, How bad can the Americas be after an Apocalypse? Gotta be some kind of continent wide government, right?
Hahahaha no.

The Americas are, to be frank, huge compared to the base game of Crusader Kings 2, even with the addition of much of the Eurasian steppe to the base game's map and the omission of South America and the Arctic North from After the End's map. The dice are weighed against no one group, and in a big difference from the base game: Every single religion can navigate rivers. Every last one.

Gentleman, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention. Who are we playing as
As a native born son of the south, god fearing southern baptist, and heir to that irrepressible race created from the inhumane affair of slavery... There was really only one option for me and this LP.

Table of Contents

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Welcome to Tuskegee

The Latimers had always been a powerful in the Confederacy, one of the main pillars of the Empire as time wore on. Unlike the other ducal families of the empire, the Latimers were Tuskegean: the dark folk found throughout the confederacy and distant cousins to to the Motowners of the Rust Belt, the Gullah of Carolina, and the various peoples of the Caribbean Empire. Stories told of a time before The Fall, when the Ancestors of all these people were one of the Lost Tribes of Judah- Israel, builders of great cities of gold and salt in lands far across the ocean. But others came and brought ruin to these cities, taking their people in chains to this continent; in his anger God struck down the Old World. Or at least that is one story of how the Tuskegeans came to be here.

Tuskegeans have a reputation, in and out of the empire, as very hands on people. Honest and hard working, very devout to god and their communities, they gained another reputation in many wars: fighters. Tuskegeans have a martial tradition of brutal efficiency mixed with all the gallantry expected of a Southern Knight. Huey Latimer is no major divergence to this. A soldier. The Marshal of the Confederacy. An Honest Man. A Cruel man. A man who's greed and patience would change history forever.

There is a mythic legend in the Latimer family, telling of Tuskegean men who fought before The Fall. Their lord thought that their skin made them unfit to be Knights, refused to allow these men to fight, thinking them nothing but beasts of burden. But with the help of a crafty marshal and craftsman, these Tuskegean knights gained their chance to fight. These Knights flew, on Pegasi with silver barding and wings redder than fresh blood. And they were a terror upon their enemies, the demonic Natchee, that they were driven across the ocean and defeated. In their honor and in an attempt to emulate those ancient knights, Tuskegean Knights have always rode into battle with polished armor and wearing wings strapped to their backs painted a bright and awesome red.

This man, his family, rules over the Duchy of Tuskegee, the westernmost march of the Confederacy. Not the richest land, Tuskegee is nonetheless fertile and rich in people; its strategic location protects the western flank of the confederacy from attack. The walls of Tuskegee have held for over three generations, protecting Evangelism from the heathens, infidels, and heretics to the west and northwest. Directly north of the Duchy are the Revelationist heathens of Snowbirds, Holy Springs, and the uncivilized heathens of Tenesi. To the immediate West is the friendly Tuskegean Theocracy of Choctaw; while the southwest lies Voodoun practicioners, with the gems of Mobile and Nouvelle-Orleans potentially ripe for the taking. Southeast lie the lands of Muskogee, Evangelicals who retained independence. Finally, in Florida, were the Americanists: most powerful of them the Tribe of the Mouse.

But who and what were all these religions? The Evangelical Church is what remains of antediluvian Protestantism. In the face of post-deluge upheavals, the Protestant churches banded together, putting aside minor theological differences in favor of establishing an Evangelical Convention of Churches presided over by an ecumenical council of bishops.

The Revelationists are heathens, twisting God's words. They Believe in a foul, twisted Snake Jesus, and that god will make many speak in tongues and other pagan rituals. They fester in the lands of the Appalachian mountains.

Vodouisants believe in a supreme god, Bondye, who is unreachable. Followers therefore pray to the Loa, lesser entities tied to Bondye. Each Loa has a specific aspect; for example, Papa Legba is the guardian of the crossroads, Simbi is the spirit of rain and magicians. Vodouisants can develop a personal relationship with the Loa through practices such as ritual offerings, song, dance, and even allowing themselves to be possessed by the Loa so that they may communicate. They will be pushed out of America, and the mouth of the Grand River of the Mississippi will be reclaimed in the name of god.

The Americanists worship the old world, Believing that the founding fathers of the Old World were gods; They claim that their holy documents such as the "Constitution" are more real than the holy book, and control much of the eastern seaboard; the heathens in Florida worship a mouse!

This is Omar, beloved son of Duke Huey, and will in many ways be more important than even his father.

Are all the players set? Then Let's see: will the Winged Knights of Tuskegee drive their enemies in fear before them like their mythical ancestors? Or will their ultimate lust for power drive them to ruin.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I like this scenario.

What's the plan?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
It begins :getin:

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Tuskegee Winged Hussars. We haven't even unpaused and we're starting with a bang.

Godspeed, stranger to the Forums in a land stranger still.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
So what's the end goal? Work your way up to emperor through elections and then pass reforms to ensure you never lose control of the Holy Columbian Confederacy? Or work your way along the coastline until you can form the Sun Coast Empire? Those would be the two main goals I can think of, outside of doing the insane and reforming America.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Clayren posted:

do the insane and reform America.

:getin:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A promising start, you have my attention.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm watching this. Love your interpretation of post-apocalyptic views of history.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Aaaaand bookmarked!

Mighty Tuskegee, drive these heretic Revelationists before you! Something something lamentations of their women.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This is a cool take on this already interesting CK2 mod.

Down with the revelationists! Snake Jesus is the worst Jesus!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHKjq_btiL4

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

The latter half of the 2660's and 2670 were a time of great importance for the Americas. Religious and political turmoil greatly rocked all corners of the continent, from the plains of Venezuela to Yukon in Canada.

While of course the Catholic Crusades against the resurgent Ghost Dance adopted by the Kingdom of Lakotah would have effects down the line, these would not be seen for much longer.

The Men in black would not yet become a major terror for more years yet.

Naturally the rise of Consumerism in the west would later see a religious free for all between them, the Cetics, the Japanese, and the followers of Sagrado Corazon, but the action for the later half of the 2660's and the 2670's remained in the Holy Columbian Confederacy. The forces of religious tension, internal competition, longstanding ethnic rivalries spurred everything on; the Latimers of Tuskegee were merely where the fire was the hottest. But the Latimers, despite their contentious place in history, do not seem to have started as power hungry conquerers intent on unifying the Americas at spear point, nor did they begin by acting violence upon Evangelists. One can not even argue that they were already preparing to defend America from the Thelemics across the sea...

If they were, why did Duke Huey send the Bishop of Milbrook to Coosa peacefully, to try to peacefully reconvert the Charismatic Heretics of the province to return to the true faith? Why did his Steward focus on collecting Taxes?

Why, if he intended to turn so rapidly to conquest and rebellion, did he put so much stock into properly educating his heir and ruling his ducal realm?

The answer is simple, as clear as day: He was scared into action.

The Voodoo invasion of Muskogee came to a complete surprise to Duke Huey, according to his journals and correspondences. in them, he talks about how "Something should be done, by god, to help those god fearing men and women", mostly conferring with Duke Kayton of Savannah. The two seemed to agree on a great many things.

Enough things so that Huey willingly gave his support to Duke Kayton in exchange for friendship and favoritism in thefuture. While it is unknown if Duke Huey began his plot to place Duke Kayton on the throne at this time, it is more sure that his opinion of the current emperor solidified soon enough.

Rather than sally forth to the defense of fellow Evangelicals, Emperor Algernon the III of the House of Littlepage cared more about his wallet than the fate of fellow evangelists. Despite being the Marshal of the Empire and an advisor to the Emperor, Duke Huey had this to say of the man: "The Emperor is a coward, a yellow bellied shame to all knights who pledge an oath to god; a greedy rotund man who is no better than a yankee or a voodoo priest!"

With the kind of eagerness and brutal speed that would become almost a trademark of the Latimer Family, the Dukedom of Tuskegee ignored the war with Delmarva and invaded the small Duchy of Mobile instead. Beyond serving as a land route to Muskogee for the Voodoo Kigdoms further west, Mobile was an important and wealthy seaport, situated at the mouth of various rivers that drained most of Tuskegee. But neither force had much of an advantage over the other....

...500 men on horseback were lined up behind the hill, their lightly armored horses and bright red wings hidden from the view of the Heathens engaging most of the Duke's Army. The Duke was not with his Army; instead he trotted on his own horse, his armor and wings no more ornate than any of his men. His Men. Each a Winged Knight of Tuskegee, ready to lay the life down for God and Duke: for God because he watched over all of them, from the time their ancestors had been taken from Judah to now; for the Duke because he fought along them, the first into the fray. The warm morning air was thick with humidity- it would rain soon, wouldn't it? But rain would stop none of these men from fighting. The sound of battle drifted over them, and it was time.

"Men of Tuskegee! Winged Knights! We Ride!" The Duke shouted, and his men bellowed the chorus, echoing beyond the hill as hooves stamped the ground.

"Through Adversity!" 501 horsemen, with proud wings steaming behind them, rode around the hill and rode straight on, the arrows and javelins of the Mobilites raining upon them but ignored. At the front was the Duke and his entourage, lances couched, bodies girded. Already, the heathen army began to try to wheel, to turn to face the horsemen charging them... leaving them open to a renewed attack by the Tuskegean footmen.

"TO THE STARS!" This roar, echoed by the Knights of Tuskegee, almost drowned out the sound of men and horses slamming into a disorganized line.

In the aftermath of the absolute crushing of the heathen armies at Mobile, Duke Huey rewarded the commander of the footmen, naming him Count Joshua of Mobile. From here on, the Voodo practicioners of Louisiane would always fear the men of Tuskegee when mounted.

But the duke would not be able to enjoy his victory much longer, for the Confederacy was rent asunder. Already rumors flew that Emperor Algernon was secretly a Charismatic Heretic, or possibly even a Revelationist who intended to crush god fearing men and replace them with loyal, heathen advisors. The blatant favoritism he showed towards the Dixie and Southron dukes only rankled the feathers of the three Tuskegean dukes more: Duke Kayton, claimed Duke Julius of Peachtree, would be a far superior Emperor to Algernon, who placed gold and personal gain above the good of the church. The Emperor, for his part, responded with crackdowns against Tuskegeans and Tuskegean Preachers.

The First Revolt began in mid 2268 and was quite for the first year. The sieges of Atlanta and Athens were simple affairs, while the Duke Huey kept his forces out of the field. 2269 saw a major battle at Smyrna, where a combined Rebel armor was outmaneuvered and barely escaped in the face of hired Americanist Mercenaries purchased by the Emperor and his loyal Dukes, who were now openly Charismatic. 2270 was another year of sieges and biding time, as the Confederate Army moved into Tuskegee in pursuit of scattered rebels, only to exit and attempt to law siege to Duke Julius' Capital once again. But as the year turned to 2271, Duke Huey found himself in total command of the Rebel's forces in the field, and pulled the imperial army into an ambush at Anniston, mowing down the Confederate loyalists.

As the year closed, neither side had a truly major advantage, but had pulled forces from the field in order to rest and winter.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'm loving this LP, but can you do something about the clarity of the screenshots? I can barely make out the words.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Yeah, it would be appreciated if you could make the pics a little bigger.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Perhaps make the pics bigger and put them in [timg] tags? That seems to be SOP for most CK2 LPS.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Agreed, either timg the images or crop out the relevant portion and just post that, in a legible size of course. :)

Good start though, I keep meaning to come back to After The End.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I love AtE, so I'm excited to follow your very cool LP!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh man, playing the inside game of the Confederacy can be a hoot because they get most of their stuff early on, rather than having to wait for loving ages for it.

And yeah, absolutely go for the America Restored, seeing as you're playing the alt-Byzantines it's only fitting~

Oh yeah and your screenshots are a mess, IŽd recc lowering the native resolution down to 1024 x whatever so it's readable when you screencap or batch resize them to that

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 19, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Gotta say, I love that you're playing in the Confederacy, if only because I actually recognize some of the place names, especially in Georgia.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've heard of this mod before, but never really seen it. Is it... all so racially charged? Or is that just the OP's writing?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Drakenel posted:

I've heard of this mod before, but never really seen it. Is it... all so racially charged? Or is that just the OP's writing?

That's just the flavour of the OP's writing. CK2 is basically racially blind.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Caustic Soda posted:

Perhaps make the pics bigger and put them in [timg] tags? That seems to be SOP for most CK2 LPS.

Don't use timg tags, crop normal pictures to 800 or 1000 pixel width at whatever aspect ratio. As far as I know that's the standard.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can you talk more about the Gullah and Beaufort? Do they have any special events in the game?

E: (Is Robert Smalls the King of Beaufort?)

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 20, 2016

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Triskelli posted:

Can you talk more about the Gullah and Beaufort? Do they have any special events in the game?

E: (Is Robert Smalls the King of Beaufort?)

Any and all southern events are focused entirely on the Dixie (Southern Whites), Voudoo worshippers, and Americanists in Florida.

Also I'm back from being killed, so updates shall resume shortly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well I'm excited to keep reading this, but I definitely echo the sentiments of the earlier posters: gotta keep the screenshots clear so I don't get a headache trying to read it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Drakenel posted:

Nope! Race works just like in Vanilla, though I don't know if black and white parents in Vanilla always produce kids of the "Brown" ethnicity. The only relationship penalties come from cultural differences and those don't matter when it comes to politically advantageous marriages; I have yet to play a game of AtE that hasn't ended without the bulk of the South's leadership being visibly black :getin:

e: edit for length

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 10, 2016

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Tuskegee Winged Hussars.

As a developer of AtE, I now consider this canon. :v:

Good going on the LP so far, I'll be keeping an eye on how things go. Also, re: race: the rest of the thread pretty much has it right, and we also have a diversity event that fires for newly-generated characters which randomly determines their ethnicity.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I feel like I'm missing a tonne of in jokes by not being American.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm sorry, I haven't had the time to continue this: school was starting, and then CK2 updated and After the End kinda broke.

Hopefully I'll be able to come back to this- Thank you everyone for showing your appreciation for this.

I would totally, however, awesomely appreciate rulers of the Tuskegean Ethnicity getting access to a Winged Hussar unique unit, if anyone actually on the After The End Dev team sees this.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 10, 2016

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

since no one has come out and explained this, the tuskegee winged hussars are a reference to Tuskegee Airmen, nicknamed red tails, a group of Black pilots in ww2 who were among the very few black combat units in the American army at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
The inversion of the confederate flag's colors bothers me more than it should.

Gridlocked posted:

We haven't even gotten to the real in jokes. The Americanist faith has a lot, like priests cursing you to be damned to communism, or pilgrimages talking about the traditional footwear in Boston.
there's also a 1-province empire centered on San Francisco

• Locked thread