Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

see what the old girl is made of

red line it and then drop the clutch and do an epic launch in your lovely econobox

whoever blows up their tranny wins a prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
thats a tranny i wont blow

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
No thanks I'm not poor.

E: although I am strongly for blowing up trannies

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 15, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

numberoneposter posted:

see what the old girl is made of

red line it and then drop the clutch and do an epic launch in your lovely econobox

whoever blows up their tranny wins a prize

sorry op this is an american forum so pretty much all posters can afford automatics

also, no matter how poor, they have engines larger than their soda cups unlike britain/europe

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

in high school someone let me borrow their subaru legacy outback to go get more beers and i took it to a gravel parking lot and then i did that thing where you can start spinning the car and if its AWD you can do donuts within the radius of the cars wheelbase and also a bunch of swedish flicks and even a J-turn 360 because i really wish i was a rally driver more than anything in the world

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i wish econoboxes with manual transmissions were cheap here but they carry a premium because dumbass ricers will put lovely rims and mufflers on loving anything. it doesn't matter if it barely made 120 horsepower when it rolled off the lot or if it's rusted to the point it doesn't have paint anymore, it will probably get sold for like 2+ grand

i just like driving manual

i learned on a mini cooper though and i gotta say gently caress mini coopers, holy poo poo

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Attention everyone, the OP wants us all to know that he's a car guy and he's very proud of it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

a dog from hell posted:

Attention everyone, the OP wants us all to know that he's a car guy and he's very proud of it.
I Am Actually A Cyclist.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
the parking lot at my work is dirt so when I stay late and I'm the only person leaving I like to burn out the whole length of it and then shift hard into second and slide around the corner like a rally driver

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I've always driven manual trannies and idk why because it's just another thing to break down on you and a new clutch is loving expensive.

Oh I remember why, a girl I liked in hs said she thought it was manly to drive stick.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

numberoneposter posted:

I Am Actually A Cyclist.

Jeff the Cyclist had bitch tits...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
torque converters are more expensive

ive heard of people turning automatics into manuals when their tranny or TQ dies but i dont know if thats the same level of boasting as 'i engine swapped an ls1 into my miata'

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

notZaar posted:

Jeff the Cyclist had bitch tits...

cyclists have pretty meager pec game. why u gotta diversify your portfolio :cmon:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

next car i buy is going to be a second hand project/race car

im not much of a mechanic so there is no way im going to do the work myself or spend all the money but i dont really care if its a bodge job as long as it rips even if the interior is gutted and rattles like a mother bitch

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

i learned on a mini cooper though and i gotta say gently caress mini coopers, holy poo poo

I hate you for your money dad, do you have any idea what it's done 2 my cred¿

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol if you cant drive a manual car

double lol if your automatic doesn't even have the flippy paddles like a race car

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

nigga crab pollock posted:

torque converters are more expensive

ive heard of people turning automatics into manuals when their tranny or TQ dies but i dont know if thats the same level of boasting as 'i engine swapped an ls1 into my miata'

A T56 swap is part of my planned upgrades to my old Caprice. Not because the original transmission has any problems, but because driving an automatic is boring.
It's going to be a pretty big undertaking, because manual transmissions were never an option on that car, but there's a company in virginia that makes a kit for it. That's about $8k for the kit and associated parts.

If I didn't need to use my truck for things, I'd give that one a manual (and new cam, ported heads, exhaust, etc) as well. That year actually did have a manual as an option, so it should be simpler to get and mount the various parts, but we're still talking a few thousand dollars worth of stuff to change out.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

a dog from hell posted:

I've always driven manual trannies and idk why because it's just another thing to break down on you and a new clutch is loving expensive.

Oh I remember why, a girl I liked in hs said she thought it was manly to drive stick.

actually unless you have a WRX or something like that replacing most clutches is easy and relatively cheap

however auto trannies are made by elves with magic and if anything goes wrong you have to throw it out and get another, or pay a dude a fortune to rebuild it and unless it's from a muscle car (or something well documented like that) it probably still won't ever work right

personally I like manual transmissions because then my broke-rear end white trash family never asks to borrow my vehicle

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

I hate you for your money dad, do you have any idea what it's done 2 my cred¿

lol you think my dad has money instead of skirting around car ownership laws/tax evasion

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't have any idea what the gently caress you're talking about op, sorry, but I'm a little bitch boy.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
that'd pop a wheelie for me op

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Grab your stick and give that dirty old tranny a good workout.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If you need to swap out your clutch before the car falls apart around it maybe you should learn to loving drive. (or do less redline clutch dumps)

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I traded in 2002 subaru with manual transmission and 194k miles and it still had the original clutch. My dad is more proud of this than any of my other life accomplishments.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

NihilismNow posted:

If you need to swap out your clutch before the car falls apart around it maybe you should learn to loving drive. (or do less redline clutch dumps)

Uhh I know how to drive you motherfucker. I can also tie my shoes.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like to drift on country gravel roads, but apparently, that's REALLY bad for your tires.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i was 18 i worked at a 5 star inn as a valet and the sous chef got drunk and made me push his car with my f150 so he could start it lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

NihilismNow posted:

actually sometimes clutches die without it being related to the friction surface, I had an Explorer that needed a new clutch because the little finger-springs wouldn't disengage it anymore, the friction surfaces were all beautiful

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

City of Tampa posted:

actually sometimes clutches die without it being related to the friction surface, I had an Explorer that needed a new clutch because the little finger-springs wouldn't disengage it anymore, the friction surfaces were all beautiful

Hmmmm, are you a woman by chance?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
lol if you use your car for anything but coasting along at a consistent speed to and from your destination

double lol if you drive a manual like a poor

its a moving box lol

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
also, lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my continuously variable transmission can simulate a manual, i presume that's pretty much the same thing really? do i have to push the paddle shifters harder to 'dump the clutch'?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

lol if you use your car for anything but coasting along at a consistent speed to and from your destination

double lol if you drive a manual like a poor

its a moving box lol

I don't know if this ironic or not, but I am definitely down with this in an unironic way.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

loving scrubs in here using their brakes to slow their car down smh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i prefer to blow in them op

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
dump deez nutz into your mouth OP

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
If you're posting in this thread you should consider playing dirt rally. It's a fun game about beating on fake cars and you can save money on clutches.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmbo if you drive a front wheel drive like a loving idiot gently caress head. lol at you not being able to swing that rear end out and power slide into that kroger parking lot

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The R on a manual shifter is for Race mode its what you shift into after the top gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

cars!

• Locked thread