Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t know what the optimal timing for YouTube videos is, but it doesn’t seem to be Sunday night. What a weird time to release a new AVGN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

He still has nearly 4 million subscribers. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I am personally offended that it was released at 3am British time so I haven't been able to see it yet. It's me, I'm the Angry Angry Video Game Nerd Nerd

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Along with Cyndi Lauper's song, the rest of the Goonies 2 soundtrack is wonderful and fitting. The caves, the ice caverns, the underwater levels, and especially the ominous arpeggios in the stupid door sections. I love love love all of the music in the Goonies 2. It holds a special place in my nostalgic heart because of it. I found out about Game Grumps when I was looking up a Goonies 2 playthrough and watched Dan play it. He said he was good at like 5 NES games, and this was one of them.

I know the game is like 60% poo poo and I honestly didn't realize that the door sections were AS bad as they were until James showed them off. I've never beaten the game and I don't care if I ever do. That music lives in my soul.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My favourite Goonies 2 music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tFd0wRV0E

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Was there something wrong with the sound in this video? There were times when James was talking into the camera and I could barely hear him.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
I remember renting Goonies 2 as a kid and considered it a wasted weekend. Then the internet existed and everyone said it was good. Maybe they played a different game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waldo138 posted:

I remember renting Goonies 2 as a kid and considered it a wasted weekend. Then the internet existed and everyone said it was good. Maybe they played a different game.

It was rare for being a NES game I actually beat but I don't know if I'd call it good, per se.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its not good because of the doors and confusing map

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Jeremy Parish (I think he's a goon) did a deep dive on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmHAXp8QMk

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jeremy Parish (I think he's a goon) did a deep dive on his channel.

He is? I've been following him for, oh sheesh, like 10 years :psyduck:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's gotta be something to said for James' comedic timing because "this is Goonies II" never wasn't funny despite being so repetitive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Was there something wrong with the sound in this video? There were times when James was talking into the camera and I could barely hear him.

Yeah, I agree, it was tougher to hear him at times.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

To me, the weirdest thing about the Goonies games was how Konami made a crossover platformer called Konami Wai Wai World that acted as a big team-up of their different Famicom titles. In other words, there was once an official crossover between Castlevania, Goonies, Goemon, and King Kong.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alxprit posted:

There's gotta be something to said for James' comedic timing because "this is Goonies II" never wasn't funny despite being so repetitive.

Some of that comic timing felt more like older episodes than more recent ones. It was a good episode!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

To me, the weirdest thing about the Goonies games was how Konami made a crossover platformer called Konami Wai Wai World that acted as a big team-up of their different Famicom titles. In other words, there was once an official crossover between Castlevania, Goonies, Goemon, and King Kong.

its canon

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Genie Andre the Giant should have shown up in Symphony of the Night.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

THE BAR posted:

He is? I've been following him for, oh sheesh, like 10 years :psyduck:

he almost exclusively posts in the retro gaming subforum (big shock there, i know) but yes he is a goon

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

wa27 posted:

Some of that comic timing felt more like older episodes than more recent ones. It was a good episode!

I agree! I'm not really on the train to think that it went "downhill" after a certain point, more that no show can be consistently great for ten years without a down episode here and there, but this particular episode was a solid throwback with a lot of fun little jokes and great delivery right in line with the classics. It probably helped it was one he had a personal stake in. Also, that was totally Mike as the voice of Santa, right?

I got my partner the BFG set for Christmas and we've been working our way through it and I'm surprised at how even during eras many online are colder on he'll deliver an episode that I remember really loving and could have sworn came earlier.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goonies 2 is a game he grew up playing so he has an investment in it unlike a bad pc game he played in the year 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I want to see him take on the Kemco Macventure trilogy (Shadowgate, Uninvited, and Deja Vu). He's reviewed good games as the nerd, like SMB 3, Zelda 2, and Contra.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
New AVGN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVezodcSFI

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's bald!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

wtf!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

And here I thought that overwatch video was a new low.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cringe

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it's time we true angry gamers knocked James Rolfe down a peg or two... put that PHONY in his place. I dont think he is really that angry at games that suck rear end, if you know what Im saying? :toughguy:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I enjoyed the episode, watching the Nerd attempt modern technology and a world that exists outside of pre-00s Nintendo Power is always funny to me

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
As you know, as a kid I grew up with Nintendo Wii.

:smithcloud:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Heh heh ... touch seaman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The punchlines at the end got me :allears: Very experimental episode, but a fun one.