Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I glee'd at the mention of BEEE SEVENTWEEN BAWMBER, that's been one of my favorite AVGN gags since forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If you're somewhat interested in the new Nintendo Switch console announcement from this morning but you weren't quite sure where to go to get a breakdown on the highlights, here ya go!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ok james for this next test try to describe a black and white horror movie without using the word "classic"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

ok james for this next test try to describe a black and white horror movie without using the word "classic"

What do you have against the Woofman?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

timp posted:

If you're somewhat interested in the new Nintendo Switch console announcement from this morning but you weren't quite sure where to go to get a breakdown on the highlights, here ya go!

I was actually going to turn this off, because... I mean, I'm interested in the Switch, but started to roll my eyes about them giving their obviously-highy-sought-out-opinions.

Then I saw that AOS's same deal was in the related videos section, and realized that there are many, many worse options to listening to Mike and Ryan talking about video games.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was actually going to turn this off, because... I mean, I'm interested in the Switch, but started to roll my eyes about them giving their obviously-highy-sought-out-opinions.

Then I saw that AOS's same deal was in the related videos section, and realized that there are many, many worse options to listening to Mike and Ryan talking about video games.

Like, every single internet person I'm aware of released one yesterday, which is why I thought people might want to watch this one instead of one of those. :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

timp posted:

Like, every single internet person I'm aware of released one yesterday, which is why I thought people might want to watch this one instead of one of those. :)

Yeah, I also realized that. If I'm going to listen to anyone's thoughts, it actually WOULD be these guys. Maybe not so much Mike. I like Ryan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like Ryan is being overly optimistic that the Switch is going to be the biggest of the current gen consoles. And jesus christ, Nintendo has zero interest in making Metroid and F-zero games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Ryan is being overly optimistic that the Switch is going to be the biggest of the current gen consoles. And jesus christ, Nintendo has zero interest in making Metroid and F-zero games.

You could say that they have... F-Zero-interest. :smug:

poo poo, that's a pun that conflicts with the intended meaning.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Mario and Zelda, over and over again. With a side of Splatoon. Third parties driven away again after a year or two.

And Pokemon on the handheld.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The idea is for this to be the handheld. It looks like a gaming tablet like the Nvidia shield except with a far more intuitive control scheme. And if they can nail down the price to 200-250 they could see Wii numbers. This could be marketed as the hot new gaming device for the current generation on the go and the newer generation raised on controller free devices. An Animal Crossing for the Japanese market, a Pokemon for mass appeal and this could be big.

I don't give a gently caress about third parties. I stopped buying Nintendo consoles for non-Nintendo games after N64, I just can't care less and the few exclusives aren't doing anything original in the first place. It was infuriating that the Wii U compromised so much because Nintendo wanted the "core" audience but the core audience wants Nintendo for a different reason.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nintendo has already said this isn't going to replace the Ds line.

The tablet probably only gets 3-4 hours battery life

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ryan is that guy who would be the main article writer on a regular boring games website, wondering about which chip the switch will have and stuff. I want to hear what Mike and James have to say because they're dumb and therefore say more interesting things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Nintendo has already said this isn't going to replace the Ds line.

The tablet probably only gets 3-4 hours battery life

Nintendo literally said this in 2003 about the GBA when they announced the DS was in development. Of course they're going to assure people the thing they're playing now won't be dead in a year. The 3DS gets 3-4 hours of battery life, same with your typical phone. Long gone are the days when you could pop open a DS and play for 10 hours inbetween charges.

The Wii U is done, I don't think Nintendo has any more first party games announced for it aside from any cross gen ports of Zelda and whatever else. The original 3DS is dead and while the New 3DS got a shot in the arm in Japan with Yokai Watch 3 and Pokemon Go in America, overall it's plummeting and they had to reassess their fiscal year as a result.

If the Switch takes off they will not hesitate to merge. They've already shown they're hungry for mobile money, Japan is largely mobile gaming, and this thing is a literal tablet with removable joysticks.

e: Although strangely Nintendo has not yet revealed if it has a touchscreen. It would be stupid if it didn't, if this is the all-in-one mobile product you'd expect but Nintendo frequently makes weird rear end choices.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

al-azad posted:

Nintendo literally said this in 2003 about the GBA when they announced the DS was in development. Of course they're going to assure people the thing they're playing now won't be dead in a year. The 3DS gets 3-4 hours of battery life, same with your typical phone. Long gone are the days when you could pop open a DS and play for 10 hours inbetween charges.

The Wii U is done, I don't think Nintendo has any more first party games announced for it aside from any cross gen ports of Zelda and whatever else. The original 3DS is dead and while the New 3DS got a shot in the arm in Japan with Yokai Watch 3 and Pokemon Go in America, overall it's plummeting and they had to reassess their fiscal year as a result.

If the Switch takes off they will not hesitate to merge. They've already shown they're hungry for mobile money, Japan is largely mobile gaming, and this thing is a literal tablet with removable joysticks.

e: Although strangely Nintendo has not yet revealed if it has a touchscreen. It would be stupid if it didn't, if this is the all-in-one mobile product you'd expect but Nintendo frequently makes weird rear end choices.

Pokémon Go is mobile exclusive so it has nothing to do with the new 3DS.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Pokémon Go is mobile exclusive so it has nothing to do with the new 3DS.

There was a spike in 3DS and Pokemon game sales over the summer that Nintendo directly attributed to Pokemon Go. So much interest in fact that the 2 year old game ended up in the top 10 for July which is practically unheard of.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

"Was this a simple typo that led a bunch of idiots to not know how to spell two super popular author's last names, or was it parallel universes?!"

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

King Vidiot posted:

"Was this a simple typo that led a bunch of idiots to not know how to spell two super popular author's last names, or was it parallel universes?!"

Of note it was never a typo, which is the problem. It has never been the berenstein bears.

Regardless, the multiverse theory being based on a children's book is still absurd.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Of note it was never a typo, which is the problem. It has never been the berenstein bears.

Regardless, the multiverse theory being based on a children's book is still absurd.

There was official merchandise that was spelled incorrectly but as far as I know the books never were. The Berenstain's probably inspected their proofs with a fine tooth comb for that very reason before mass printing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Of note it was never a typo, which is the problem.

Did you click on that link, and scroll all the way down? There was a VHS tape that had a misspelling, my point is that there's a chance a bunch of people could've seen misspelled VHS tapes or merchandise or something and that led them to think it was Berenstein.

I've always known how to spell it, but then I read from a really young age and also paid special attention to dumb little details. I probably remembered the spelling because it was so weird.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I remember always saying Berenstein, but then one day I noticed the real spelling. Then I said "That's a stupid name" and kept on saying it my way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Watching Godzilla Final Wars and James assessment is pretty spot on. Actually, his opinions of movies I find generally pretty accurate.

The funny thing about the Switch I keep seeing is people going "Omg it will have pokemon go!" but uh, they haven't said it has a camera, or a gps or any of the other things that enable you to play it. Now if it has a Pokemon game that interfaces with Go somehow, yes, but you're not going to see it on the Switch.

And yea, having a poo poo batterly life is going to kill the mobile replacement idea for the Switch, and if Nintendo does kill the DS line to drive people towards the switch, they'll be going the way of Sega. I can see the Switch selling really well out of the gate, but it dropping sharply and basically ended up with the WiiU. I'm worried that all the 3rd party games will just be ports of older popular games, like We'll see Skyrim but not ES6.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm worried that all the 3rd party games will just be ports of older popular games, like We'll see Skyrim but not ES6.

I think people are feeling too much PTSD with this. There's the Skyrim Remastered coming to PC, PS4, and Xbone too. On that note, half of PS4/Xbone's library is last gen ports.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

On that note, half of PS4/Xbone's library is last gen ports.
I'm pretty sure the ScorpiPro gen is going to have that problem too. Because everyone will want zomg TLoU/Overwatch/whatever in 4K HDR.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, having a poo poo batterly life is going to kill the mobile replacement idea for the Switch, and if Nintendo does kill the DS line to drive people towards the switch, they'll be going the way of Sega. I can see the Switch selling really well out of the gate, but it dropping sharply and basically ended up with the WiiU. I'm worried that all the 3rd party games will just be ports of older popular games, like We'll see Skyrim but not ES6.

Big thing is Wii U didn't sell well at any point in time. They got burned hard with the Wii U which came out the door saying "Hey guys who like CoD and poo poo, we got you man!" but couldn't compete against the established fan base of PS3 and Xbox then got left behind with PS4 and Xbone. The Switch was Iwata's last project before he passed and Nintendo wants another Wii success. I think it'd be really dumb if they didn't make this as cheap and mass appealing as possible.

Nintendo shouldn't compete with modern consoles and they shouldn't care about having the latest multiplat releases. You buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and they sell in the 10s of millions. If the switch is the portable/home hybrid machine they're hyping it up to be then something like Animal Crossing could be the highest selling game that doesn't have Craft in the title.

And even if the battery is bad (which I say is relative because modern tablets and phones are in the 3-4 hour range) Nintendo would be smart if you could charge the thing with a USB cable since everybody in the world bought a portable charger for Pokemon Go. If I knew better I'd say Nintendo prepped their market from the start.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm pretty sure the ScorpiPro gen is going to have that problem too. Because everyone will want zomg TLoU/Overwatch/whatever in 4K HDR.

Sony has been releasing patches for their old games for HDR support and the Pro itself is just an upscaler. Some 3rd parties are releasing patches to tweak graphics like Rise of the Tomb Raider will have additional AA and shader options on the Pro. Microsoft is going this weird route where the Scorpio is promising native 4K which would require re-releasing their old games or loving immense patches if they go that route. I don't know why Microsoft is going this route as the Scorpio is sounding like it's going to reach the price point of a mid-tier PC. I can't imagine it'll be less than $500.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Microsoft is going this weird route where the Scorpio is promising native 4K which would require re-releasing their old games or loving immense patches if they go that route. I don't know why Microsoft is going this route as the Scorpio is sounding like it's going to reach the price point of a mid-tier PC. I can't imagine it'll be less than $500.
I could see them going after the poopsocking hardcore market by saying "Pfft year it costs $800, but these are Alpha tier grafx brosiah". They would have to deliver quite the product though.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh Jesus christ, I haven't watched it yet, so maybe he mentions it, but I'm kind of disappointed by the title. Gives those idiot conspiracy theorists more poo poo to talk about.

Or not, because it's AVGN, and not someone more famous. Anyway, for anyone confused, here's some stupid poo poo that too many people believe:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-mandela-effect?full=1

How can anyone think that Mandela was hanged, and get others to take it seriously? Anyone that knows anything about history should know that if he had been executed, South Africa would have gone into civil war and probably be a very different country today. Odd how no one seems to also recall that history. I should make up some stupid theory about how I remember Kennedy surviving the assassination or some nonsense.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

twistedmentat posted:

I can see the Switch selling really well out of the gate, but it dropping sharply and basically ended up with the WiiU. I'm worried that all the 3rd party games will just be ports of older popular games, like We'll see Skyrim but not ES6.

The Wii U suffered because people didn't know it was a separate system, it had a gimmick that didn't really get used effectively outside of a few games, and even then, it could feel a bit forced, the high profile killer apps like Mario Maker came too late, and they struggled with third party support.

If the system gets enough sales, you'll see third party support.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just don't have a lot of faith in Nintendo knowing what the market is like currently. It feels like they're trying to create a market rather than playing to the market. They get an idea in their head and rather than seeing if its what the market wants, they release it and expect to succeed because of their success 20 years ago.

I really, really wanted the NX to turn out to be something awesome and cool and make Nintendo be a contender in the current gen, but I really don't think that's going to happen. It's just Mario and Zelda that they have going for, ignoring the other franchises that make the NES and SNES such classics, though that's not completely their fault considering most of those games came from Capcom and Konami, both of which have completely poo poo the bed.

Mario Maker kind of annoyed me, not the game, but with the constant "this is the best game ever made...well, 99.99% of all the stuff was garbage, but those 6 maps where really good!". It always felt like damning with faint praise, and there was a lot of really pie in the sky "oh they're gonna make a metriod maker, and an Castlevania maker and.." no, they're not.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mario Maker disappointed me because levels always existed in isolation from each other, so they all turned out as stupid puzzle and gimmick and kaizo levels and not as normal Mario levels. In actual Mario games you have breather levels, challenging levels, a few gimmick levels and so on for variety, but in MM it was mostly individual designers showing off "clever" designs at the expense of fun platforming. It was more like The Incredible Machine or something than Mario.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nintendo is playing to the market. At least the Japanese market where console sales have tanked and the PS4 is the untouchable console on the block. In the West they really need to get this thing cheap cheap cheap in every department store front and center. It needs to be seen as the Wii 2, the platform that everyone including grandma plays.

I want to say Nintendo has gotten better about their online integration but they are releasing a stripped down Mario Maker on 3DS with no online level sharing so "lol no."

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

twistedmentat posted:

I just don't have a lot of faith in Nintendo knowing what the market is like currently. It feels like they're trying to create a market rather than playing to the market. They get an idea in their head and rather than seeing if its what the market wants, they release it and expect to succeed because of their success 20 years ago.

I really, really wanted the NX to turn out to be something awesome and cool and make Nintendo be a contender in the current gen, but I really don't think that's going to happen. It's just Mario and Zelda that they have going for, ignoring the other franchises that make the NES and SNES such classics, though that's not completely their fault considering most of those games came from Capcom and Konami, both of which have completely poo poo the bed.

Nintendo has always been a dictatorial company who thinks they own their industry so by God you will do what they say and you will like it. The problem is this has constantly ran off third parties and pissed off retailers and even customers who don't treat Nintendo like a religion. These days unless you love Nintendo IPs and generally only the ones they bother to support with actually good games you have gently caress all reason to buy Nintendo as their policies and attitudes in the 90s created their biggest competitors these days. (In the 80s too but not to the degree that the N64 caused irreparable harm to their near monopoly over Videogames. The Genesis and PC Engine were more like alternatives who had the odd superior sales quarter depending on region and how salty third parties were.)

The company really marches to their own drummer and always has. Making them evolve is a massive effort and they act much like a cat that even when they do what everyone wants them to it's clear they are not happy about it.

And as gaming ages they don't have as many nostalgia bucks to cash in as people are growing up without ever having the warm fuzzies for the company and it's IP.

I seriously doubt they will end up in the position of near irrelevance that Atari has ended up with being passed around like an old porno mag in pre internet high school, but they show an extreme reluctance to the modern era of gaming and all that comes with it for good and Ill. :smith:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I saw James this weekend at the Portland Retro Games Expo. I didn't go to his panel, but I saw him walking around. I kind of wanted to go shake his hand or something, but he was with a woman who I suppose might be his wife and I didn't think he needed some random anonymous dork bothering him. It didn't matter; the moment he became visible he was swarmed by guys, one after the other. He seemed very nice, smiling, shaking their hand, taking the time to listen to what they had to say. It seemed like he was on his way out, and really wanted to just leave -- the woman with him was very patient, too. But nobody got the hint; after one guy was done another one jumped on him. About a minute or so watching this, I left and went back into the big arcade place, but I don't know how long it took him to leave. He seemed too polite to just tell them he wants to go.

credburn fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 24, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shibawanko posted:

Mario Maker disappointed me because levels always existed in isolation from each other, so they all turned out as stupid puzzle and gimmick and kaizo levels and not as normal Mario levels. In actual Mario games you have breather levels, challenging levels, a few gimmick levels and so on for variety, but in MM it was mostly individual designers showing off "clever" designs at the expense of fun platforming. It was more like The Incredible Machine or something than Mario.

Yea. I think what really killed it for me was Giant Bombs GOTY 2015 podcasts where they'd dismiss Witcher 3 or MGSV or other really great games and say "and I went back to playing Mario Maker when i was board and wanted something to do". It was basically a time waster, on the same level as like candy crush.

Captain Rufus posted:

Nintendo has always been a dictatorial company who thinks they own their industry so by God you will do what they say and you will like it. The problem is this has constantly ran off third parties and pissed off retailers and even customers who don't treat Nintendo like a religion. These days unless you love Nintendo IPs and generally only the ones they bother to support with actually good games you have gently caress all reason to buy Nintendo as their policies and attitudes in the 90s created their biggest competitors these days. (In the 80s too but not to the degree that the N64 caused irreparable harm to their near monopoly over Videogames. The Genesis and PC Engine were more like alternatives who had the odd superior sales quarter depending on region and how salty third parties were.)

The company really marches to their own drummer and always has. Making them evolve is a massive effort and they act much like a cat that even when they do what everyone wants them to it's clear they are not happy about it.

And as gaming ages they don't have as many nostalgia bucks to cash in as people are growing up without ever having the warm fuzzies for the company and it's IP.

I seriously doubt they will end up in the position of near irrelevance that Atari has ended up with being passed around like an old porno mag in pre internet high school, but they show an extreme reluctance to the modern era of gaming and all that comes with it for good and Ill. :smith:

Yea, I mean it's anecdotal but any of my friends who have kids have said their kids have zero interest in this, and are way more interested in playing Infinite Warfare than anything else that isn't Pokemon. They have a Ps4 or an Xbone and the parents are interested in the Switch if it delivers nostalgia, but even then with the Micro coming out next month, that's where the focus is.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

twistedmentat posted:

Yea. I think what really killed it for me was Giant Bombs GOTY 2015 podcasts where they'd dismiss Witcher 3 or MGSV or other really great games and say "and I went back to playing Mario Maker when i was board and wanted something to do". It was basically a time waster, on the same level as like candy crush.

Yea, I mean it's anecdotal but any of my friends who have kids have said their kids have zero interest in this, and are way more interested in playing Infinite Warfare than anything else that isn't Pokemon. They have a Ps4 or an Xbone and the parents are interested in the Switch if it delivers nostalgia, but even then with the Micro coming out next month, that's where the focus is.

My own anecdote suggests the same: For the few 3DSes I seen in the wild, all of them are owned by 20+ year old people. Whatever kid appeal Nintendo once had, has long died with the DS.

Part of me wants the Switch to fail so I can finally play main Pokemon games on not-lovely mobile hardware and online.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Giant Bomb is a bunch of 40yo people completely burned out on bloated open world AAA games. Their Nintendo nostalgia and weariness of the industry makes total sense and also why people are excited for the NES mini.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I'm very sorry that other people liking a thing more than you did really killed it for you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
My 8 year old nephew loves old video games and I'm getting him a NES Mini for Christmas. He knows tons about them all because, get this, he watches people yelling about old video games on youtube all day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm very sorry that other people liking a thing more than you did really killed it for you.

There's a difference between people liking something and people saying "Best thing ever!!!!"

al-azad posted:

Giant Bomb is a bunch of 40yo people completely burned out on bloated open world AAA games. Their Nintendo nostalgia and weariness of the industry makes total sense and also why people are excited for the NES mini.

I can understand that, when video games are your job, something you can play for less than an hour and feel satisfied is probably going to be more fun than something you need to sink hours upon hours in.

Okay this Beyond the Sleep is pretty creepy.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

I mean I feel that way too, I'm completely uninterested in big graphics AAA stuff and all of those games kind of bore me, but at the same time I'm burned out on cheap "retro" cash in poo poo as well.