Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hey guys, did you know that everyone thinks you're a lame idiot who sucks? Advertisers, I mean. Marketers! Marketing forces. They think you're an insipid, superficial rear end in a top hat. That said, they want money, either from you "treating yourself" or from people who are trying to do something nice for you. To this end, they have designed gifts that are specifically tailored for being given to you, a man. However, almost every gift for you falls into one of a few basic categories of stuff you don't need and won't use. Yet, advertisers tell you that you should want it, because it's what a man would want. Let's look at what all this poo poo is, and how painfully unnecessary and invariable it is. People are buying this poo poo for you because this is what they've been told that you are. They've accepted that you are the guy who wants this poo poo, because you're letting yourself be the guy who wants this poo poo. Break the cycle.

Beer Periphery

Stuff for your beer, or for you to make beer. Generally products that insinuate or outright state you are an alcoholic, as well as very possibly a dork. Take for example these leather beer chaps or something

Novelty bottle openers definitely count, and this one is also in the "pretends to be survival gear also sort of" category and in the entire "batman" category

Whiskey Periphery

The same poo poo, but for whiskey. Perhaps most famously, "whiskey stones", which you put in the freezer and then in your whiskey to cool it. Oh except you failed chemistry and forgot that it's the melting of the ice that actually makes it effective in cooling your drink. now you can get them shaped like bullets

poo poo with batman on it

I'm not going to capitalize batman

That's a crossover with the "you are an alcoholic" category (which also includes a LOT of hidden flasks, jesus christ)

And the "loving goddamned wallets" category

Wallets

How many super thin wallets does a guy need, huh? Just admit you want purses or bags or whatever, it's fine, I don't want to sit on a brick either (unless it's ron perlman's FACE)

Ugh.

uh-oh, watch out, this big bad beast got a wallet with tweezers in it, don't gently caress with this captain of destiny

Super overpriced novelty horseshit that sits in garages

[jetski that looks like batman]

[some sort of hoverboard that doesn't actually work]

I'm tired of posting pictures so like

Nerd tech that tells if you if you need to buy more apples because the apples in your fridge are bad, even though your depressed wife does all the shopping anyway

There's always a few of these Kickstarting, next to the wallets

just more loving poo poo with star wars characters on it

This has crossover with literally every above category

grill stuff

beef meat, peripherals. you're allowed to like meat, you can also buy a sign that's like "vegetables are for pussies!!!" and put it in your man cave next to your batman vase

I believe in you. I believe you're more than this. So please let us know what you actually want, I don't want capitalism to look like this.

And no, obviously not all gifts for men are bad. e.g. every man should have a really good knife, but this is true of women also. But nothing with a zombie on it, or that references zombies! That's another trap! Just buy a quality item that you can use properly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh also

Thigs that are shaped like balls, or boobs, for the sole purpose of looking like balls or like boobs

e.g. trucknuts

e.g. balls keychains

e.g. boob shaped pillows

e.g. beer cozies that look like nutsacks

e.g. towels with boobs printed on them, or your nuts on them

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i agree

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Men want the Sopranos complete series on blu ray and nothing else.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

the best guy gift is a crock pot maybe

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've said "nice I'd take that" to everything you listed tbh

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

three ears of corn

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

i can crank my invisible hog all i like, the beer stays stationary :c00l:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I would like a beer holder for my belt, but that batman stuff is gay

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Mortimer posted:

I've said "nice I'd take that" to everything you listed tbh

Same

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arian_Samurai posted:

yeah but what about once they have 40 or 50 of these and have already repurposed them into an entire extra wing of their home

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
all men are some variant of tim the tool man taylor

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I want the artisan leather computer with batman on it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

truck nutz are actually cool and good and deffo a good gift for a friend without them knowing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thank you Pick, these insults have gone on too long. Your support as a Male Ally means a lot to me.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luvcow posted:

argh argh argh

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

yeah but what about once they have 40 or 50 of these and have already repurposed them into an entire extra wing of their home

This unfortunately is the tragic folly of man

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

men want the band of brothers bluray set so we can jerkoff to ww2 some more

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow OP, you've really opened my eyes to a bunch of stuff I didn't care about anyway!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Good gifts for men:
Tools
Guns
Machines that make fart sounds

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You'll never take my truck nutz or gun nutz.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

Even tim the tool man didn't put zombie truck nuts on his all-beef beer holster

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

down n out posted:

I want the artisan leather computer with batman on it

For an additional 200 you can have your name leather stamped into the leather screen, so long as your name is ROY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Good gifts for men:
Tools
Guns

"fart sound making machine" was actually a favorite of Leslie Nielsen and is in fact a really good gift for anyone.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Arian_Samurai posted:

Ive never seen an episode and im a man

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

Good gifts for men:
Tools
Guns

The ladies never get a man what he really wants, a tug off at the massage place

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i thought you were going to talk about the marketing trope of appealing to one's depleting masculinity. like radio adverts for coors or the new maple bacon lumberjack hoagie for men.

actually now that i think about it, almost anything that's marketed as a "manly" product will give you tits eventually.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

you're the primary target for the sopranos complete series on bluray

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

scott zoloft posted:

i thought you were going to talk about the marketing trope of appealing to one's depleting masculinity. like radio adverts for coors or the new maple bacon lumberjack hoagie for men.

actually now that i think about it, almost anything that's marketed as a "manly" product will give you tits eventually.

Well I mean that's a whole thing, and it's sort of part of all this mess. Like chapstick for men, the Dudestick, where like, I thought chapstick already was for men? and women used lip balm? Like when did we take chapstick also, I don't remember that.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's why you need the blu ray set, come on dude!!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A man, but a sophisticate also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szbg_s360k8

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mortimer posted:

you're the primary target for the sopranos complete series on bluray

I don't care for violence and cussing

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
OP, while I understand your frustration at the assumption that you're an alcoholic- consider also that many of us Man's are in fact desperately dependant on alcohol. Thank you for your time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I don't care for violence and cussing

what are your pronouns

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
r/asianmasculinity told me that Asian Fart Piano makes no sounds because Hasbro wants to castrate the celestials

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Literally a great gift for anyone, also those pocket Lite-Brights with just enough Brites to make a passable crab shape.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mortimer posted:

what are your pronouns

The male ones im a man

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
the sopranos is about an italian american family of domestic terrorists

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

passable crab shape

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://stagprovisions.com/collections/gift

Everything from this store. They have cologne that smells like various types of wood jfc

• Locked thread