Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I went to the game where this bad boy was given away, but sadly I was too late to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels have tons of giveaways, hats being one of the most common. I've got Angels fedoras, cowboy hats, visors, sombreros, a straw panama style hat, etc. More traditional baseball hats than I can recall. Only good looking one was the hawaiian hat, where it was regular red but with a navy flower print bill that actually looked nice.

The Angels have tons of giveaways, where they give away enough for everyone (not just first 5000 or whatever), the cheapest beer in baseball, the best/easiest parking, and I still hate them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I tried to find this for so long last night and I couldn't find it. Thank you, friend.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/768547338008887296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Classy! I wonder what Dunkin' Donuts has offered the Red Sox to rename Fenway.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Loyal to the Empire: The Boston Red Sox

Some or all of this may be factual, but this isn’t about truth, it’s about vehemence:

Until more than a decade ago, Red Sox fans could pride their franchise on being an opposing, underdog force to the New York Yankees. I remember vendors outside of Fenway Park selling black “Evil Empire” T-shirts and “Yankees Busters” shirts done Ghostbusters-style, with the “NY” logo crossed out inside a circle. Hand-waving the Yankees dynasty as buying championships was easy, but no one really bothered to look at how false the argument was: those teams were built around an astounding core of young talent, savvy free agent signings, and focused trades. The Yankees steamroller didn’t lose momentum until the prospects dried up and were replaced with hefty veteran contracts.

In mimicking the Yankees guide to victory, the Red Sox also aped their willingness to settle on bloated contracts destined to go sour after a couple years. The pressure from the front office to sign these deals (in order to keep ticket prices high and boost failing NESN ratings) resulted with the Boston Red Sox, the harried underdogs of my youth, becoming their own Evil Empire- a gang of spiteful executives and coddled players.

Fuckface #1: Lawrence "Larry" Lucchino

gently caress this guy in his stupid, petty mouth. He chased our beloved Terry Francona away after the team melted down in the last month of the 2011 season, missing the playoffs. Lucchino, then the Red Sox CEO, pinned it all on on Tito even though the entire starting line-up had been injured while they went 7-20 to finish. The real issue was the medical/training staff, but who gives a drat, amirite? With Tom Werner's help, they were able to blame a dip in ratings on their sports network, NESN, on Tito. Many of the poo poo players on that team had been requested by Lucchino, but he wasn't gonna throw himself under the bus. Knowing that fans wouldn’t want to see Tito leave town, Lucchino took his burn notice a step further than most scumbags would dare and publicly began to talk poo poo about Mrs. Francona (can I get some verification on this? Lol). Tito, the greatest manager in Red Sox history, bowed out of the Fenway Park 100th Anniversary celebration until Lucchino blinked and made a public apology to him. Good on you, Tito. He’s semi-retired now, so that’s a silver lining.

Two more notes on this know-nothing: In 2009, Theo gunned hard for Lucchino to assign $500k in order to aquire Jose Bautista on waivers from Toronto. Lucchino refused and the next year, Bautista hit 54 dingers. Lucchino also traded away Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez during a contract dispute with Theo in 2005. Although that move got us a ring, it probably costs us two.

David Ortiz:

I’m a Big Papi fan. He hits into the shift as well as anyone and his dingers trace a majestic arc which reaffirm my faith in baseball as the ultimate sport. Buuuut… ‘roids: Let’s not pretend Papi wasn’t on some serious horse pills all those years he was hanging out with Manny. He's been able to earn a pass, but deep down we all know he broke the rules. He’s had an ongoing spat with Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe for years. Shaughnessy’s pissy, fuckboi quibbling is almost as bad as Ortiz’s slights against the fans who put their faith in him. Ortiz does a lot for the youth of greater Boston, but the angsty, cynical teen in me says he just does it to tamp down the ‘roids chatter. Most recently, Ortiz defended Aroldis Chapman’s violent domestic behavior. Dude’s a lock for the Hall.

Theo Epstein: Epstein was the other high-profile victim of Lucchino’s great ‘11 cleansing. Epstein was a pretty good GM, but he made some colossal gently caress-ups (unless you’re a Red Sox conspiracy theorist, in which case his bonehead moves were pretty slick). Following the 2010 season, Theo traded our top two prospects, SP Casey Kelly and 1B Anthony Rizzo, to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez. The deal was made with then-Padres GM Jed Hoyer, the former Assistant GM to Theo Epstein. Gonzalez was good, but underwhelming in Boston, and his stoic demeanor seemed to rub some fans the wrong way (also, hate: Red Sox fans) after he was awarded a mega-contract. After Theo was fired and signed-on as top brass with the Chicago Cubs, he hired Hoyer as his GM. They promptly fleeced San Diego for one Anthony Rizzo, who developed into a star of cool .gifs and a prime soaker of sweet, sweet snatch across the upper Midwest. Meanwhile, 1B in Boston has been a revolving door of mediocrity. Theo also gets the credit for building the '04 Championship team, although that was mostly a Dan Duquette team.

Pablo Sandoval:

Yuck. If you happen to be in Doral, FL and you’re patient, you will spot Pablo driving around in one of his stupid expensive cars while he inhales aerosolized fried empanadas through AC vents. I don't know what that means, but it's true. I hope he gets some kind of help to curb his over-eating disorder, because that poo poo is probably gonna kill him before he hits 50. Anyways, gently caress this guy, because we could have used his garbage salary to sign a real man, like my current baseball hero, Johnny Cueto. Which brings me to…

Dave Dombrowski: The current big wig in the Fenway suites. He’s David Price’s #1 fan. Price is still good, but $30M/year? Yikes, Dave. Spring 2016: The Season of Inflated Pitcher Values. To think that we could have had Cueto, a superior pitcher, for about half the price… (Some of this rant may sound like I’m hating on players for making too much cheddar, but I love it when players get paid ridiculous amounts of cash. I’m just not a fan of flakes and guys who are taking space from dudes I would rather see on my team.) My great fear is that Dealin’ Dave is gonna purge our prospect depth for short-term stars. Flags fly forever, I get it. But then you end up with boring, oft-injured, expensive veterans who just look constantly gassed (see: the Texiera bullet we tried so hard to get in the way of. Sure the Yankees earned their title, but they’ve been hard to watch the past couple years). Since the upcoming free agent market is looking thin, I see Dombrowski moving some of the guys in the minors I’ve been following with fervor. Bye, fellas, it was nice dreaming of getting to see you make your name with us!

He also likes to trade top prospects for closers which is like the #1 no-no in the GM manual: Thou shalt not trade for a closer unless it is the absolute final box to check off for your championship-caliber team (see: Theo aquiring Keith Foulke and contrast with other trades for relievers).

A History of Bad Trades:

Lou Gorman was a tragic GM. He helped build the Mets team that beat him (us) in ‘86. He traded away Brady Anderson, Curt Shilling, Jeff Bagwell. I saw Bagwell play 3B in AA New Britain. I still have my New Britain Red Sox Bagwell card. He looks so ice-cold in that pick. You could just tell he’d develop into an elite assassin. I new this when I was eleven. Lou Gorman didn’t. When Bagwell (a native of Hartford, CT whose entire family worshiped the Red Sox) found out he’d been traded, he cried. Then he resolved himself to become an elite masher and Gold Glove defender. Lou Gorman robbed me of a treasure trove of baseball memories staring Bagwell in a Boston uni. After retiring, Gorman became involved with the Jimmy Fund, aimed at assisting local youth, in order to atone for his wrongs against young prospects and the kids who care enough to follow them. Gorman is dead now, so we no longer have to worry about him clear-cutting the unrealized memories of our youth.

Manny Ramirez: What a lethal batsman. Just as dangerous with two strikes against him as with a clean count. Too bad he’s a scumbag as a person. He once attacked a team trainer, probly as a result of ‘roid rage. In FL, attacked his wife not long after being forced into retirement. Doesn’t know how to access the internet. Maybe someone has the link to this, because I lost it: There’s an old ESPN article from ~2008 in which a Boston writer and his college buddy get to hang out with the Red Sox stars after an away game. Manny agrees to pay for the nights out (he nabbed Big Papi’s credit card). In the article, an unnamed player (implied to be Manny) gets down to some indiscreet business on the dance floor before forcing the writer’s friend to pick up the bar tab, which had ballooned into the thousands.

The poo poo goes on and on, but really, are you even reading any of this?

There have been just so many bad apples, but most of it can be traced back to Lucchino in some fashion.

The good:

Boston Sports Media: These guys aren’t as bad as they used to be. Alex Speier and Rob Bradford, Jackie MacMullen, Bob Ryan (ret.)- they’re all good in my book. Back in the day, though, they would target hotheads like Ted Williams or Roger Clemens and goad them into epic meltdowns. [insert pic of Clemens throwing hot dog buns at reporters at the clubhouse buffet] Thankfully, this group is more about the facts and they do a great job discussing prospects.

Fenway: My first trip to Fenway, ~1990. I was ten years old and enchanted by baseball. Back then, the left-field seats were the smoking “section”. Some Southie douches, an old dude and a young stud, got into a heated argument. Back then, you could buy beer in a glass bottle at your seat, so the young douche ended the spat by shattering a bottle on the old guy’s head. The oldster was bald, so I got a really sweet view as his skull pulsed and gushed blood all over himself. They were both drunk enough that they were able to watch the rest of the game without getting up. I didn’t think it was a big deal until many years later when I recounted the story to friends. The good thing is that this poo poo isn’t tolerated anymore and the crowd is a bit more civil.

Fenway, continued: The men’s restrooms at Fenway used to have actual troughs for pissing. Troughs centered in the restroom, with edges too tall for a kid to piss into. Imagine being ten years old and being almost eye level with dopey drunk cocks all around you and everything smells like The Bog of Eternal Stench. Turn back, Fleetwood! Turn back! I heard the troughs are gone, but an image search makes it look like they just moved them to the walls. The biggest worry should be that you might run into some co-eds finger-banging under the bleachers. The last time I was in Fenway, they hadn’t yet installed the seats above the Monster, but I hear it’s all good now. I hope my family can move back soon so I can experience it again for the first time. File this under Ugly, I guess.

Prospects: So much prospect. My heart glows.

Our WEEI radio guys: Joe Castiglione and Tim Neverett kill it every night. I love these guys so much, especially Joe. We didn’t have cable when I was a kid, so hearing them always takes me back. I always flip to the radio feed once Remy says something stupid, usually after the first out.

http://www.theonion.com/article/red-sox-fan-dedicates-garbage-can-hes-lighting-on--34399

I hope this post didn't suck too hard.

Fleetwood fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 26, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Why your team sucks: The Braves

Because the most heralded prospect in a long time is a scrappy white guy.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Fleetwood posted:

Loyal to the Empire: The Boston Red Sox

Point of order: Theo wasn't fired, he was allowed to be hired away ("promoted") while still under contract. Then there was a long, drawn-out battle about a compensation player for him from the Cubs (they asked for Starlin Castro and were told lolnope). It eventually ended up being Chris Carpenter (no the other one).

e: VV Fair enough

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 26, 2016

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I considered editing that part, but it seemed pretty clear that he made Henry choose between himself and Lucchino, and Lucchino wasn't going anywhere.

e: you're right tho. I just like the more salacious version.

Fleetwood fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 26, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The salacious version has the stink of Dan Shaugnessy about it too.

Speaking of which, I can't believe you never mentioned that fuckface in your writeup.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I wedged him into the Big Papi section :)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fleetwood posted:

I wedged him into the Big Papi section :)

He really deserves his own section, considering the Red Sox have their arm so far up his rear end that he'll sing Yankee Doodle Dandy on command. If the Red Sox decide they hate you (Francona, Nomar, Manny, Lowe, Pedro, etc.), they're masters at making their fanbase want to physically tie you up and burn you in front of the Ted Williams statue, and it usually comes in the form of garbage fed to Shaughnessy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shaughnessy once called out UConn womens basketball for ruining the game by being too good and got torched by Auriemma.

“There are a lot better writers than Dan Shaughnessy. But that doesn’t mean he’s bad for the game.”

• Locked thread