Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

See, I don't get this complaint. The first 3 gens of iPod used FireWire. Then they introduced the dock connector which allowed USB and FireWire. This would have been around 2004. It's not until 2012 that the Lightning port was introduced, and it's p great in terms of charging improvements and being able to insert it no matter what.

Thunderbolt was introduced in 2008 and hasn't changed drastically. They updated their power connectors after 5/6 years, again to make them smaller and better.

Like, where's the unreasonableness?

Everyone else just uses USB and has since the beginning of time

also don't forget USB-C, introduced so that your laptop requires even more dongles and adapters to function :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Apple love is a controversial subject

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

loquacius posted:

Everyone else just uses USB and has since the beginning of time

also don't forget USB-C, introduced so that your laptop requires even more dongles and adapters to function :eng101:

Yeah but USB took its time to get there. USB 2.0 wasn't really prevalent when the iPod was introduced. And it's not like Apple didn't include USB 2.0 as time went on. And I would argue that Lightning spurred the development of USB-C. Have you seen micro-USB 3.0? It's ridiculous and huge!

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Arguing about dongles itt

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah but USB took its time to get there. USB 2.0 wasn't really prevalent when the iPod was introduced. And it's not like Apple didn't include USB 2.0 as time went on. And I would argue that Lightning spurred the development of USB-C. Have you seen micro-USB 3.0? It's ridiculous and huge!

I actually had a gen-1 iPod, and I connected it to my computer with a USB cable, and Apple could have just made both ends of that USB cable USB ports but did not for reasons (special-snowflake reasons)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I wake my iPad up it brings up a message that says I can upgrade the software and won't let me do anything else until I go through two menus and promise to seriously honestly consider upgrading my device. gently caress you Apple.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

loquacius posted:

Oh yeah and also how they use their own special-snowflake cables and ports and you have to buy adapter dongles from them for like $20 each to use any normal computer cable ports, and Apple fans always act really entitled about how they can't seem to find ports for Apple's special-snowflake cables anywhere, like it's everyone else's fault except Apple that Apple decided to use a weird port no one else uses

Remember when Wi-Fi was new and Apple was selling their own wireless routers that looked like Pac-Man ghosts and cost three times as much as other routers did? Did you actually have to have one of those to use Wi-Fi on a Mac at any point or was it just transparently a ripoff?

I think lighting bolt was about having an unattenuting digital signal and thunderbolt is about having threaded kernel processes over cable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

notZaar posted:

Every time I wake my iPad up it brings up a message that says I can upgrade the software and won't let me do anything else until I go through two menus and promise to seriously honestly consider upgrading my device. gently caress you Apple.

Every time I saw someone complain about the win10 upgrade thing I just wondered if that person had ever used a smartphone or tablet

Fragmentation is bad, upgrade pestering is the wave of the future

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think lighting bolt was about having an unattenuting digital signal and thunderbolt is about having threaded kernel processes over cable.

what the gently caress are people doing with their iPhones that they need to have threaded kernel processes over a cable

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I just shorted Snapple it's down 1.35 for the day. Lol if you think you're getting a ride on my yacht.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Can anyone point out exactly when they ran out of jobs's idea's?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

I think it was when the iPad Pro became a thing

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

NihilismNow posted:

Well he stopped taking credit for other people's work when he died, so I'd say right about then.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

reallivedinosaur posted:

Paint.NET does everything I've ever needed it to do - except the few times I've needed to do something with a vector, then I used Inkscape.

If you are doing serious print work I think you still need photoshop for it's CMYK support, though maybe GIMP has caught up?

My kid bro is a photographer and uses photoshop and his reasons are more about third party plugin support. His wife is a graphic designer who needs a 3000 dollar apple "because she's an artist". Thing is, she doesn't do digital art! She uses her mac to look at the pictures of her canvas paintings that my brother photographs in high res and then touches up for her with his cheap PC.

Yeah Mac=Artist is the justification anyone I've ever known that has a Mac uses one.

When my local community college got a technology grant instead of buying any other sane choice they ended up with some airbooks and a $8000 Mac workstation, all of which were completely useless because all of our software licenses were on Windows and there was no money left to buy a special Mac version of every single program.

I had this same PC Vs Mac argument with the dumbass instructor that ended up wasting like $20,000 because "Macs=Art." I've had the same argument with my best friend who any time they ever have any money buys a Mac to make a statement that they are an artist, despite never making any art. Then they make me emulate windows on their Mac that cost triple the price it should have so that they can do normal computer poo poo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i loving LOVE dongles

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and that thing still keeps on keeping on. The battery gave up the farm but it only cost me $8 for a new one that I could install myself.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NihilismNow posted:

When that highly fabled AppleTV that was supposed to disrupt and revolutionize the industry never came out because Jobs never finished his crib sheet. So instead Cook just slapped Siri on the existing models and called it a day

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 16, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
you don't see me starting a thread every time i play the state lottery

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Yeah Mac=Artist is the justification anyone I've ever known that has a Mac uses one.

I encounter this a lot - I work at a company of digital artists, there are about 60 of us over 3 offices, and whenever someone comes by for a meeting or just to hang, 9/10 times they comment on the fact that nobody has a mac. Half the software we use isnt made for macs and the software that is runs like total poo poo.
It's a pretty useful way of vetoing people who come for job interviews too.

macs are for people who think of themselves as artists, and are in love with the idea of being one.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i want to confess that i killed steve jobs and i have no remorse

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Macs are just Intel machines that run linux. Seriously, bring up a term window and it'll take just about every linux command you feed it. The artist argument is redundant since the transition to Intel because they'll render just as fast as a comparable Windows machine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I recommend Apple laptops because they are pretty well built and have a price defense built in since there are no cheap garbage models. I know if I recommend some kind of ~$1k Dell or ASUS laptop they'd end up getting some Black Friday $350 version instead thinking that it was almost the same and then blame me when it falls apart.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

FlimFlam Imam posted:

Macs are just Intel machines that run linux. Seriously, bring up a term window and it'll take just about every linux command you feed it.

FreeBSD really

:goonsay:

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Apple products are a walled garden, THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!

Android products are superior because they're OPEN! You can do ANYTHING on Android, the clearly superior phone operating system!

*never installs anything other than base installed apps*
*waits 6 months for a bug fix to be localized to their model of phone*

"Heh, stupid Apple buyers."

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

ThaGrandCow posted:

Apple products are a walled garden, THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!

Android products are superior because they're OPEN! You can do ANYTHING on Android, the clearly superior phone operating system!

*never installs anything other than base installed apps*
*waits 6 months for a bug fix to be localized to their model of phone*

"Heh, stupid Apple buyers."

eat poo poo nerd

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you don't see me starting a thread every time i play the state lottery

I wanna read that thread

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

loquacius posted:

Is it worth it to buy or pirate Photoshop anymore even or could you do basically any image editing you'd need with GIMP or, hell, Paint.NET?

You can probably do any audio poo poo necessary with Audacity too, and video editing with VirtualDub I guess. Animation might be a bit trickier without Autodesk poo poo.

Audacity sucks for doing anything besides basic editing. The benefit to using Apple is for using Logic and not having to install Asio drivers. Ableton is probably a better tool overall, but logic is definitely prettier.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Macs can't play games

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dubplate Fire posted:

Audacity sucks for doing anything besides basic editing. The benefit to using Apple is for using Logic and not having to install Asio drivers. Ableton is probably a better tool overall, but logic is definitely prettier.

Most people who aren't literal music pros can use Audacity for basically anything they need, but I guess Logic/Ableton are like the Photoshop equivalents that actual professionals require

There doesn't seem to be a good free/open-source alternative like GIMP for this use case, which is annoying but as your post pointed out it's not like no software for this exists on Windows. Ableton seems kind of expensive but there's always Pro Tools or FL Studio which seem to be available for about $100.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ColoradoCleric posted:

Macs can't play games

They release Mac binaries of basically everything on Steam now but good luck playing anything intensive on a computer you can't put a decent GPU in

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Remember when ol' Jobs made that one computer that was a cube with clear plastic all around it and it bombed hard?

lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Remember when ol' Jobs made that one mistake that one time of not getting his cancer treated with modern medicine and ate figs instead?

lmao

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If Windows 8.1 and 10 hadn't come out, I would have considered a jump back to PC but 10's basic OS stability seems to be so dogshit that I just can't see myself making the move. Meanwhile, my 8yo MacBook finally is out of the upgrade cycle. That's dope as hell to me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Remember when ol' Jobs made that one computer that was a cube with clear plastic all around it and it bombed hard?

lmao

whatever happened to the one that looked like a space trashcan

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I dusted off the Dell Inspiron that my parents gave me last year and upgraded to windows 10. After removing the bloatware and stupid pop-ups, it's running better than 7.
Now I can irradiate my balls and warm my lap with current gen software and 10 year old hardware!

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's ok to use a Windows desktop for work I guess but owning a Windows laptop of your own is fail.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
what does a laptop do better than a desktop at home and smartphone in my pocket?

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

City of Tampa posted:

what does a laptop do better than a desktop at home and smartphone in my pocket?

Colleg much?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the beauty of the iphone is there is an absolutely direct succession of products and product obsolescence
on android there are a million overlaps between competing lines so maybe its time to upgrade or maybe not who knows
on iphone you always know so when you have an iphone7 instead of the new iphone7gay people know youre really just a poor faker

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

City of Tampa posted:

Laptops currently exist solely for retards and college students, heavily favouring the former.

Boywhiz88 posted:

If Windows 8.1 and 10 hadn't come out, I would have considered a jump back to PC but 10's basic OS stability seems to be so dogshit that I just can't see myself making the move. Meanwhile, my 8yo MacBook finally is out of the upgrade cycle. That's dope as hell to me.

There is and probably never will be a reason to upgrade beyond windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

gary oldmans diary posted:

the beauty of the iphone is there is an absolutely direct succession of products and product obsolescence
on android there are a million overlaps between competing lines so maybe its time to upgrade or maybe not who knows
on iphone you always know so when you have an iphone7 instead of the new iphone7gay people know youre really just a poor faker

this is the post equivalent of one of those "THERES GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY" videos where someone takes something incredibly simple, like Android OS versions and trips over a table and kills themselves because they didn't have babies first telephone to have that version number in the name.

"If Phone no say version number how I know? Galaxy S3 may have worse android than LG G3. Is too confuse for caveman brain. Need "PHONE ONE" "PHONE TWO" "PHONE THREE" so me not have trouble. "

• Locked thread