Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Acne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Leave Luna alone you bastards !! :argh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

City of Tampa posted:

call it Allah

M... Moon God?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Name it video games

Call it Star Citizen. Because it's a citizen of the stars, and it will remind people of the greatest videogame ever.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Feranon posted:

the actual, ~proper~ name of our moon is already Luna. just like the proper name of our sun is Sol. do people really not know this :psyduck:

Yeah and the earths name is Terra. Oh wait no, it isn't. Stop watching bad scifi

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
That's no moon

Haha star wars

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
Sexcopter

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Alta Alta California

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Chomp8645 posted:

It already has a name it's called Luna.

Actually it's just called the Moon.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
if only we had a name for the moon

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Beef Turret posted:

Yeah and the earths name is Terra. Oh wait no, it isn't. Stop watching bad scifi

Actually, the moon is name Luna, after claude debussys Clair DE Luna, which was famously written in the evening

(usually French government regulation prevents anyone from working when not absolutely necessary, but debuasy received an exemption for this work)

Doctor J Off fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 16, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sol III-A

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
why don't we have a name for the earth? something like terra. or gaia. u know. a word by which to identify the thing we are discussing

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
it already has a name its called "the moon"

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
So, when in Star Trek they went to a place called Rama 3, they meant the 3rd planet of the Rama sun system ? Otherwise , what kind of idiots use the same names for multiple planets ?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decebal posted:

So, when in Star Trek they went to a place called Rama 3, they meant the 3rd planet of the Rama sun system ? Otherwise , what kind of idiots use the same names for multiple planets ?

Yeah. Have you never heard this before?

If our solar system wasn't ours but just some random system somewhere then Mercury would be Sol I, Venus would be Sol II, Earth would be Sol III, etc.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Quote/edit

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Its called Luna, and the Sun s called Sol.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Chomp8645 posted:

M... Moon God?

well they do use the crescent moon as their logo

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
In anticipation of colonizing it by 2100 we should call it earth 2. Or earth II for you classical types

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

If our solar system wasn't ours but just some random system somewhere then Mercury would be Sol I, Venus would be Sol II, Earth would be Sol III, etc.

I know. I'm just surprised that the writers knew that

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Decebal posted:

you could have binary systems where a moon is so large its really just a pair of planets (like pluto/charon)

Earth's moon is so abnormally big we almost classify as this. If the moon had an atomsphere and we lived there too, like a second earth, why not call it Earth 2?

I can't imagine 3 or more objects in a stable orbit go solve the n-body problem see if it works (hint: try using math)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decebal posted:

I know. I'm just surprised that the writers knew that

Star Trek writers are real smart!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Feranon posted:

the actual, ~proper~ name of our moon is already Luna. just like the proper name of our sun is Sol. do people really not know this :psyduck:

This is why we gotta start teaching astrology in schools.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I miss the pre-Web2.0 days when it would have just been named WWW DOT GOLDENPALACE DOT COM

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Feranon posted:

not only don't they know this but they are prepared to build an entire website without looking it up

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Write in for Krusty.jpg.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

E: lol i never noticed the 9/11 bit before

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 16, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

notZaar posted:

Only if we name it CHA

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

im sorry but lifeforms indigenous to earth when carbon based life was seeded by a comet actually have a claim to the solar system please check your evolutionary privilege

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"OP's mum" is a great name for a massive object with its own gravitational field.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

im sorry but lifeforms indigenous to earth when carbon based life was seeded by a comet actually have a claim to the solar system please check your evolutionary privilege

The ediacaran's were huge babies and I'm glad we took the planet away from them !

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

reallivedinosaur posted:

you could have binary systems where a moon is so large its really just a pair of planets (like pluto/charon)

Earth's moon is so abnormally big we almost classify as this. If the moon had an atomsphere and we lived there too, like a second earth, why not call it Earth 2?

I can't imagine 3 or more objects in a stable orbit go solve the n-body problem see if it works (hint: try using math)

"Space Earth" is funnier than "Earth 2".

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

notZaar posted:

"Space Earth" is funnier than "Earth 2".

But Earth 2 is heavier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1OYn_xGzM

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
Big gay rock

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Spare Ribs

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Microwave's Mom. Because we've all stared at it, but none of us will ever touch it.

So I guess "Vagina" could work just as well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's already got a name, it's name is "the moon."
You might as well start a campaign to rename the Earth because all that means is "the ground" and all human means is "person."

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

redheaded stepson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Sailor Moon