Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just to really ram it home

quote:

The usual English proper name for Earth's natural satellite is "the Moon".[10][11] The noun moon is derived from moone (around 1380), which developed from mone (1135), which is derived from Old English mōna (dating from before 725), which ultimately stems from Proto-Germanic *mǣnōn, like all Germanic language cognates.[12] Occasionally, the name "Luna" is used, in poetry for a personified Moon, or in science fiction to distinguish it from other moons.[13]

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

that article is retarded

the moon is called "luna" and the sun is called "sol" in scientific circles

the fact that those words mean "moon" and "sun" in latin doesn't change the fact that those are names anymore than "shoemaker" originally meaning "maker of shoes" doesn't disqualify it as a name

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

Luna is just Latin for moon and it's not any kind of official designation or title or anything.

And then Latin died out but we kept (and adapted) some of the words.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

that article is retarded

the moon is called "luna" and the sun is called "sol" in scientific circles

the fact that those words mean "moon" and "sun" in latin doesn't change the fact that those are names anymore than "shoemaker" originally meaning "maker of shoes" doesn't disqualify it as a name

jesus christ show me one actual published paper in English that uses the word 'Luna' and stop giving me anecdotal "I heard someone say it once" and "but but LUNAR"

and I posted another article and the wiki link too

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Moridin920 posted:

jesus christ show me one actual published paper in English that uses the word 'Luna' and stop giving me anecdotal "I heard someone say it once" and "but but LUNAR"

and I posted another article and the wiki link too

type luna into arxiv and find thousands

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like you're just wrong dude the official name of Earth's satellite is the Moon

maybe some used it in a non-scientific way like referencing a SciFi show or something but Luna is just Latin for moon

reallivedinosaur posted:

type luna into arxiv and find thousands

thousands of words that say 'Lunar' that the idiot Ctrl-F is hitting on when I type in 'Luna?'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Luna is just 'the moon' in Latin jfc

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Just because I call my mom and dad "mom" and "dad" doesn't mean mom and dad are their names

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Just because I call my mom and dad "mom" and "dad" doesn't mean mom and dad are their names

yeah brilliant analogy doctor

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Is this SA's version of the "how many days are there in a week" argument over at the Bodybuilders forums?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the international astronomical union says 'the Moon' is the right name but forums posters say 'nah I heard an astrophysicist say Luna' so i guess the IAU is dumbos

quote:

But neither Sol nor Helios is an official name for the sun, according to the International Astronomical Union (IAU), the international body of astronomers which since 1922 has charged itself with the responsibility for naming celestial bodies. Just to confuse things, the IAU does suggest we all use Sun and Moon, rather than the lowercase sun and moon. As a result, most astronomers do capitalize these words (frequently along with other non-standard capitalizations such as Galaxy, Solar System and Universe), but most media organizations (which tend to use media stylebooks such as the AP Stylebook) don’t.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Dole Kemp 96

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Helium-3 mine

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
King rear end Ripper

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Late For Dinner :laugh:

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
The moon is causing way too much anger in this thread. I say we just blow it up and be done with it once and for all.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Guys guys stop fighting the only thing this thread is for is voting for the moon to be called Skywalker

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Wait, Skywalker was the comedy option?!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Djehwty, or Thoth

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

504 posted:

It didn't die out, it ascended.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Ork of Fiction posted:

Wait, Skywalker was the comedy option?!

well sadly "comedy" was not an option :smith:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

the international astronomical union says 'the Moon' is the right name but forums posters say 'nah I heard an astrophysicist say Luna' so i guess the IAU is dumbos

I personally would not gently caress with the IAU

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Moon 2. That's my idea.

No go. Future people will all wonder what happened to Moon 1.

I think we should make a common misspelling official: Moom.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i had a cat named Luna once

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There's a venue in PDX that had a lot of names that was La Luna for a while. I miss that place.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
bee movie

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

no dude the words solar and lunar are the remnants of Latin because sol and luna are Latin prefixes now in English, not the other way around.

The Moon is the proper name for the Earth's satellite.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

You're easier to upset than Kyoon.

Are you actually shaking?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

You're easier to upset than Kyoon.

Are you actually shaking?

idk why you retards think i'm upset just bc I can string 15 words together and i like to type cuss words

im high and eating a kebab right now

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

numberoneposter posted:

i had a cat named Luna once

I have a friend named Luna. Also that's the real name for the moon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
stop spreading lies you fuckman

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

idk why you retards think i'm upset just bc I can string 15 words together and i like to type cuss words

im high and eating a kebab right now

So you're not upset, you're just a dumb stoner?

Sorry, I mean

"lol yr just stoned nt raging?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

So you're not upset, you're just a dumb stoner?

Sorry, I mean

"lol yr just stoned nt raging?

im the one quoting the international astronomer's union you fuckman where's your source

honk honk

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ibogaine posted:

The moon is causing way too much anger in this thread. I say we just blow it up and be done with it once and for all.

I think you meant to say that we should just blow up 'Luna' :smuggo:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

El Boot posted:

like how everyone irl says "moridin" and not just "stupid bitch"

:drat:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Why do you people fight all the time.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ibogaine posted:

:yeah:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i just talked to a scientist and he calls it luna and says everyone at his science lab does too

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lord Binky posted:

Why do you people fight all the time.

the goal of the SA forums is, like Highlander, have all posters destroy each other in a cosmic duel through time and space until only one remains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At the end of SA, a moment will come when just one shitposter remains. Then the moment will pass. All the posters will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

• Locked thread