Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
jesus christ it's not really named Luna you dumbos

quote:

yeah, Luna, Terra, and Sol are obvious and work and nobody on this dirtball actually cares about the "Well, ahem, actually, it is not a PROPER noun, myah, myah" semantics bullshit.

yeah def cuz everyone irl says "luna" and "sol" not just "the moon" and "the sun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

they do, when they need to differentiate it from other moons and suns

i've heard both astrologers and astronomers use the words "sol" and "luna"

i bet astrologers do, astronomers don't

it's easy differentiate because it's THE moon and everything else has a name or at least an alphanumerical designation

Luna is just Latin for moon and it's not any kind of official designation or title or anything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

yeah you never hear the words "lunar" or "solar" in astronomy

e: i mean holy gently caress are you ever thick

bro

http://www.universetoday.com/120087/what-is-the-moons-real-name/

http://www.livescience.com/33373-moon-name.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon#Name_and_etymology

you're the one being thick here

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just to really ram it home

quote:

The usual English proper name for Earth's natural satellite is "the Moon".[10][11] The noun moon is derived from moone (around 1380), which developed from mone (1135), which is derived from Old English mōna (dating from before 725), which ultimately stems from Proto-Germanic *mǣnōn, like all Germanic language cognates.[12] Occasionally, the name "Luna" is used, in poetry for a personified Moon, or in science fiction to distinguish it from other moons.[13]

:synpa:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

that article is retarded

the moon is called "luna" and the sun is called "sol" in scientific circles

the fact that those words mean "moon" and "sun" in latin doesn't change the fact that those are names anymore than "shoemaker" originally meaning "maker of shoes" doesn't disqualify it as a name

jesus christ show me one actual published paper in English that uses the word 'Luna' and stop giving me anecdotal "I heard someone say it once" and "but but LUNAR"

and I posted another article and the wiki link too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like you're just wrong dude the official name of Earth's satellite is the Moon

maybe some used it in a non-scientific way like referencing a SciFi show or something but Luna is just Latin for moon

reallivedinosaur posted:

type luna into arxiv and find thousands

thousands of words that say 'Lunar' that the idiot Ctrl-F is hitting on when I type in 'Luna?'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Luna is just 'the moon' in Latin jfc

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Just because I call my mom and dad "mom" and "dad" doesn't mean mom and dad are their names

yeah brilliant analogy doctor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the international astronomical union says 'the Moon' is the right name but forums posters say 'nah I heard an astrophysicist say Luna' so i guess the IAU is dumbos

quote:

But neither Sol nor Helios is an official name for the sun, according to the International Astronomical Union (IAU), the international body of astronomers which since 1922 has charged itself with the responsibility for naming celestial bodies. Just to confuse things, the IAU does suggest we all use Sun and Moon, rather than the lowercase sun and moon. As a result, most astronomers do capitalize these words (frequently along with other non-standard capitalizations such as Galaxy, Solar System and Universe), but most media organizations (which tend to use media stylebooks such as the AP Stylebook) don’t.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

And then Latin died out but we kept (and adapted) some of the words.

no dude the words solar and lunar are the remnants of Latin because sol and luna are Latin prefixes now in English, not the other way around.

The Moon is the proper name for the Earth's satellite.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

You're easier to upset than Kyoon.

Are you actually shaking?

idk why you retards think i'm upset just bc I can string 15 words together and i like to type cuss words

im high and eating a kebab right now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
stop spreading lies you fuckman

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

So you're not upset, you're just a dumb stoner?

Sorry, I mean

"lol yr just stoned nt raging?

im the one quoting the international astronomer's union you fuckman where's your source

honk honk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At the end of SA, a moment will come when just one shitposter remains. Then the moment will pass. All the posters will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

• Locked thread