Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
it already has a name its called "the moon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Decebal posted:

So, when in Star Trek they went to a place called Rama 3, they meant the 3rd planet of the Rama sun system ? Otherwise , what kind of idiots use the same names for multiple planets ?

you could have binary systems where a moon is so large its really just a pair of planets (like pluto/charon)

Earth's moon is so abnormally big we almost classify as this. If the moon had an atomsphere and we lived there too, like a second earth, why not call it Earth 2?

I can't imagine 3 or more objects in a stable orbit go solve the n-body problem see if it works (hint: try using math)

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Applewhite posted:

It's already got a name, it's name is "the moon."
You might as well start a campaign to rename the Earth because all that means is "the ground" and all human means is "person."

the internet should rename you

see how you like it

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

8 track betamax posted:

thatnks for briing our attention to this hip new internet sensation that is tearing up the netwaves with...........................................hundreds :stare: of votes

this video is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tAb6h2CFk

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

n o o m that spells noom

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
can we have a looney moonies gang tag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmOgiDe1z8&t=1611s

ill moon you man ILL MOON YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

dookifex_maximus posted:

mods pls change my name to whatever they name the moon because gently caress it

winning option so far for the new name of the moon is "moon"

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Moridin920 posted:

jesus christ it's not really named Luna you dumbos

yeah def cuz everyone irl says "luna" and "sol" not just "the moon" and "the sun."

they do, when they need to differentiate it from other moons and suns

i've heard both astrologers and astronomers use the words "sol" and "luna"

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Moridin920 posted:

i bet astrologers do, astronomers don't

it's easy differentiate because it's THE moon and everything else has a name or at least an alphanumerical designation

yeah you never hear the words "lunar" or "solar" in astronomy

e: i mean holy gently caress are you ever thick

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

that article is retarded

the moon is called "luna" and the sun is called "sol" in scientific circles

the fact that those words mean "moon" and "sun" in latin doesn't change the fact that those are names anymore than "shoemaker" originally meaning "maker of shoes" doesn't disqualify it as a name

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Moridin920 posted:

jesus christ show me one actual published paper in English that uses the word 'Luna' and stop giving me anecdotal "I heard someone say it once" and "but but LUNAR"

and I posted another article and the wiki link too

type luna into arxiv and find thousands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i just talked to a scientist and he calls it luna and says everyone at his science lab does too

• Locked thread