Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Fre: +3 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +0 | Sup: +0 | Mun: -1
Potential: 1/5 | Burn: 0 | Conditions: Afraid

"It is normally tradition to ask for permission before entering another's habitat" Azeral snaps, "Get out psychic!"

OM lurched back, yeah okay he knew about Quill's 'passenger' and that Quill technically has some kind of angel riding inside of her. But jesus christ it was like that business with Asurbanipalnezzer again, accidentally touching something so old and powerful and feeling several thousand eons bare down on you and knowing that they weren't particularly happy to see you caused OM's heart to skip a beat. Even though the touch was a softer and lighter then the cold and vicious mind of the rakshasa king, it was still quite the shock to the system and Quill shared head-space with it?

OM caught sight of the knife by his feet, oh yeah, right, he had a job to do. He picked it up and secreted it on his person.

"Thank you for your assistance in our continuing investigation you have been a great help, and don't you worry we'll make sure your soul doesn't get eaten."

He stretched his fingers out, perhaps it is for the best that right now mister Guttermage should be out of the picture right now. "Of course if we catch you like this again, we can't offer that protection. And now you are very tired from a busy day of using magic and you want to go to sleep."
"Go, to sleeep"
"Gooooo, to sleeeee-
"

13:34 TheNabster OM uses Hypnosis
13:34 TheNabster !r 2d6+3
13:35 Krysmbot TheNabster, 5+3 = 8
13:35 TheNabster It's pretty effective

>Gonna go with a Temporary or Unstable effect, just to keep him subdued.

OM watched as the Guttermage slumped in Quill's arms. "Oh wow that actually worked! Keep a hold on him, we better lodge him with the magic boys back in the AI so he can't be harmed by whatever seems to be controlling him, and let's go grab that other one."

Turning away, OM tapped his communicator. "OM here, we've found the Mage we traced from the oil monster and we have him secured, but he has an accomplice hidden inside a news stand on the street, want us to go grab him?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Fre +1| Dan -1 | Sav +1 | Sup +2 | Mun +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

I felt amazing! Here I was being a superhero! Ok more of a dark knight than a man of steel but hey still being cool. That...thread was distracting, what the hell was it.

"Az...what is that?"
"I've seen many connections throughout the lives of mortals that spread amongst the plain...but this is something different. More a connection magical than spiritual."
"Which means?"
"It is not his connection to god, more his connection to something of this plain of existence, maybe this master creature."
"Interesting, I'll have to look into it later, we have an oil monster to take care of."

The man slumped in her arms and her wings folded back into normal white feathers, gently cradling the man's body.
She nodded at Om, impressed with his abilities.

"Nice one, Om. Yeah you are right, this guy needs putting somewhere he isn't going to hurt anyone or get hurt himself." I looked up again to see the thread still there, glistening slightly against the snow.

I speak up on the communicator too, "Guys, we have to be careful, this is much bigger than we thought, something else has control of these mages and it probably knows we are interfering. We need to watch our backs on this one, and take out these mages as quickly as possible"

In her mind, Quill thought through all the possible ways things could turn out. Was it a mage behind all this? A demon? Hell, it could be anything really, but we needed to stick together as much as possible.

"I should probably stay near Daeva, she and I could trace this thread thing together."
"Oh, really? Is that the only reason you want to be so close to her?"
"Well, you are the one saying I should keep an eye on, what was it your called her, the "demonspawn"?"
"The abomination."
"Yes, well, how am I going to keep an eye on her if i'm not next to her....watching her."
"Thinking about her, constantly. Like an incessantly droning noise in my ear. 'oh look, she's smiling again, and how lovely her hair waves in the wind, and Oh my god she looked at me!' You would think you were under a spell."
"Shut up."

That was when she realised, she was still talking out loud, and as normal her one sided conversation was quite loud. Though Az's responses were only her head, everything she had said was out loud for Om to hear clearly. She froze for a moment, wondering if he had been too busy on the communications to Elementa to notice.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 20, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Reunited, and ready to bring the thunder

Thank goodness! The fire goes out! And without setting Elementa ablaze!

With the team gathering together again, all eyes are on Elementa for her next call. Their faith still appears to be strong in you.

So, what are your orders, team leader?

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 22, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Fre: -1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: 0 | Mun: 3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

Of course I had to fail again and make myself look stupid. That just seemed to be the way the day was going. I quickly changed out of the Teflon form as Voidblade extinguished the flame with absolutely no difficulty. Way to make me feel inadequate there. Opal headed over as well. God, I must look like such an idiot compared to everyone else and I was even the one who started it, calling Daeva stupid. It looked like the shoe was on the other foot now.

"Y-yeah, I'm ok" I told the others, trying to hide my embarrassment as I used them as leverage to get up. Once I was up, Om and Quill got on the communicator and reported the situation to the rest of the team. Turns out that they managed to clean things up well on their part. It didn't take long for them to meet back up with the rest of the group either. Judging from the situation, I knew that a change in strategy was going to be necessary. After all, at least half of the team was useless against the creature, myself included.

"Ok guys, change of plans. Om and Quill, join Daeva and deal with this oil monster thing. Voidblade and Opal, you're with me. Let's find this accomplice and end this!"

Looking around for a newsstand, I noticed how one looked untouched, even though it was surrounded by turned over cars and devastation. Definitely suspicious. Turning my arms to steel, I began to run at it. Today had sucked. I looked like a fool in front of the others and was going to miss meeting up with Fiero. I put all of my might into the punch, hoping to render the hiding spot of the accomplice useless. Plus, it was fun being able to relieve stress like this.

<jimmydalad> Rolling to directly engage the suspicious newsstand that probably has a person in it
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 9+1 = 10
Going to resist or avoid blows and take away their hiding place from them.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Opal
Fre: +2 | Dan: +2 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

Sarah must feel terrible. Well, been rough for all of us today. Not like my swinging did a whole heck of a lot in the end. I smile at Elementa and make a note to hang out with her later, tell her she's doing good.

"Works for me," I declare, following El over, ducking around to the back side of the newsstand and rip off the door.

<Platonic|Away> Also directly engaging, I suppose.
<Platonic|Away> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Platonic|Away: 9 (2d6+2=6, 1)
Can I 'take' their hiding?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Fre: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +1

Nodding in Elementa's general direction as the team-ups were decided on, Voidblade hopped to the roof of the nearest building with a psychic boost that left a little whirl of dust and trash in its wake. Once up and in position, she had a prime view of all areas her team mates were engaging in.

Sitting on her haunches with her elbows resting on her knees, Eva peered closely at the... newsstand her allies were busy charging.

Yeah, something was definitely going on here. Things were not as they seemed.

quote:

Theantero: Right, rolling to assess the situation
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+2 = 9

I have the move Be mindful of your surroundings, so I get one extra question when assessing the situation before entering a fight.

I ask the following:
What here is the biggest threat?
What here is in the greatest danger?

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

I raced over to see Elementa, surrounded by the rest of the team. The blizzard made it difficult to focus but I could see the monster writhing around.
The team had done some damage, and all the civilians were out. I knew Elementa had this.

Reaching the team, I dropped the sleeping guttermage by a knocked over lampost and got close to Elementa.

"Hey, look at this, you've got this monster beaten soon and we've saved all those people. I knew you'd be a fantastic leader."

Elementa seemed to look away as if i'd said the wrong thing.

"You made a plan and look, it's working. We wouldn't have been able to do it without you."

Comfort or support: 2d6+0

Comfort Elementa: 2d6+0 9

Hit: Mark potential, clear a condition or shift labels if they open up to you

I leave it to you Elementa

"Ok guys, change of plans. Om and Quill, join Daeva and deal with this oil monster thing.

My heart skipped a beat. This was going great, and I got to see Daeva at work. I flared my wings to metal in an attempt to seem more ready than I was.

"You have never been in a real fight before." Azeral pondered.
I shook my head slightly.
"Don't go in over your head, work with your teammates, but If it's you, the physic and the abomination, I can see you having to take this thing on. Stay defensive, let them throw the blows and keep them safe from danger."
"Are you saying if Daeva gets in trouble I should save her." I whispered, not wanting the others to over hear, as I began to walk over the oil creature.
"Those were not the words I used."
"Too late, that's what I heard."
Azeral groaned slightly, but I just smiled.
"Relax Az, I got this."
"Don't let your feelings get the best of you."
"Yeah, yeah."

The oil monster was churning back upright from its fallen position and growling angrily.

I looked around to see Daeva, staring over to the newsstand, where the rest of the team were headed. She was so beautiful, even as the storm pulled at her coat, she stood unflinching, so calm and confident and I couldn't help but smile.

"Daeva, you've...you've been fighting this thing, any...any er....tips for a newcomer?"

I was a mess of nerves. Come on Quill, focus, get it together, this was no time to get stars in my eyes.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 22, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 0/5 | Conditions:

Elementa's assigned us our tasks, and it looks like I'm keeping on keeping on this stupid Oil Creature with Quill and Om backing me up, so this should be a piece of cake. Good thing too - I gotta apologize to Elementa the second this fight is over, I think that slap early was a bit harder than I'd intended and she didn't exactly laugh it off like I hoped she would. I have way more self-recriminations over it, but I sorta should focus on the creepy monster first and my own shortcomings second.

Quill heads over to ask me how we should deal with this thing, and I'm pretty keen to answer in a helpful (read: not sarcastic) way. Let's say this loud enough to be heard over this stupid blizzard I made"Stay out of its reach unless you've got a good retreat handy - it tried to swallow and devour Elementa earlier. Ice works pretty well, don't let it touch fire or this city block at least is hosed."

Taking a couple strides forward, my longcoat buffeted by the wind and snow, I've got something mind that should end this Oil Monster for good. This thing's shrugged off the spells I've used already, and I tried be nice about my magic, but I'm done playing around. "Om! Quill! I got an idea - you two get ready, going to give you a chance to strike."

I move the fingers and thumb of my left hand to resemble a dragon's claws, while my right forms a pattern around my eye. I'm concentrating, visualizing, feeling the flows of magic throughout its body - and as I do so, I'm reaching forward with my left hand, tenebrous energy that darkness the air beginning to form around it, I can tell this hex is going to be good. See, there's some OLD magic I have access to. I'm loath to use it, since it reminds me of Ahriman more than I like, but I cannot deny it's much more powerful than my usual tricks and cantrips. See, Ice was working alright against this thing... but just deleting a big chunk of it from reality sounds a whole lot more effective.

<Rauri> Directly Engage Oil Monster
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 10+1=11
<Rauri> wow Krysm's brief nap has made it quite merciful
Chosing to avoid and resist its blows / create an opportunity or opening for an ally

So that's what I do. Making a slashing motion through the air with my left hand, a horrible void forms for just a brief instant in the heart of this monster - and it has no means of defending itself, so this should be good - should be a lot less of a problem for us to defeat now.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 23, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 2/5 | Burn: 0 | Conditions: Afraid, Insecure, Guilty, Angry

"What What!? You wanted me to attack it!?"

Oh no, the fear is still bubbling inside he can feel it, this is about to go very wrong very quickly

"You can't just do that Daeva you can't just, you know how I feel about using my powers like that - you could have mentioned that before we went through with THIS PLAN!"

18:03 TheNabster BURNING ON THE INSIDE
18:03 TheNabster !r 2d6+1
18:03 Krysmbot TheNabster, 4+1 = 5
18:03 TheNabster Awww poo poo

>Mark Angry, Guilty, Insecure, and Hold 2 Burn

Sparks crackled off of OM, this didn't look very comfortable for him, and it really wasn't. He looked in the direction of the monster, pointed and yelled "YOU ARE ABOUT TO HAVE A REALLY BAD DAY."

18:08 TheNabster Reality Storming up on +1
18:08 TheNabster Do I get plus one for taking advantage of the opportunity
18:09 ArashiAwake I think so? Not got the rules in front of me.
18:09 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
18:09 Krysmbot TheNabster, 8+2 = 10
18:09 TheNabster That slime monster is loving deeeeeeead

Spending an additional burn to avoid collateral, Impress, Surprise, or Frighten the Opposition, and Avoid/Resist their Blows

The Oil Monster was there, and then it found itself being compressed in a smaller, and smaller, and smaller space against the void opened up in it by Daeva pulling a variety of objects towards it as the Psionic forces from without pushed. It was taking nearly all of OM's efforts to control it until-

"ACHOO!"

The Monster was flung at near terminal velocity into the sky by a sudden lapse in concentration, seemingly burning from the sheer force of sudden acceleration skywards. Nearby, a few light-posts spontaneously burst from the sudden unleashed implosion of Psionic energy.

OM slumps forward, his helmet bouncing against the pavement with a faint "Ow" from it's wearer.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 23, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Quill had moved to try and catch the creature's attention, spreading her wings large and proud, but it didn't take long before she heard Daeva yell her warning and the oil monster's deafening scream.

She was ready to take a hard swing at the creature, when she heard Om cry out and watched as the monster mutated in odd shapes in front of her eyes. She couldn't understand the kinds of magic she was seeing.

Om sneezed and the monster went flying, Quill immediately turned her wings to feathers again ready to fly up and chase the monster, ensure its destruction.

That was when she heard Om's helmet hit the pavement and turned to see Om, collapsed on the road.

"Om!" She raced over to him. "Are you ok?" She helped to pick him back up on his feet, but holding all of his weight, letting him lean on her.

Quill, giddy with excitement and adrenaline, gave Om a reassuring squeeze

"Wow Om, that was incredible, I've never seen anything like that! You took that thing out with a sneeze! Haha! Look at you, saving the day! Wish I was half as bad-rear end as you!"

Comfort Om: 2d6+0 7
Clear whatever condition you like Om.

Keeping one arm under Om, Quill's smile beams as she gives a huge thumbs up to Daeva, making their way through the rubble towards her.
"Nice one Daeva, your spells are awesome! Snow one minute and magic-ing the monster the next! Wow! I don't know how the both of you do it. Do you think we should head over to the others?"

Quill's compliments sounded cheesy, but she was sincere, she meant every word of it, she was as excited as a kid at Christmas, practically bouncing.

"Calm yourself child, there is still much left to do, I can see the anger welling up inside of you. You feel as though you have failed.", said Az, knowing me far too well.
It was true, I did feel angry, Why hadn't I helped? Why did I just stand there and watch? That's all I seem to do, these guys don't need me.
I was happy, we had done great, well no, the team had done great, and I wanted them to know that.
But Az was right - as normal - We still had a job to do.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
After Quill gives some much needed words of encouragement. The team splits at Elementa’s command. It actually goes really well! Opal and Voidblade follow you in your charge against the suspect newsstand! As you approach you hear muttering.

“Oh! You think you have a chance, huh?! I’ll end you! You little bitches! You wanna go you prepped up little-! AGHHH!” Whoever they are scream as something explodes behind you!! Well if he’s swearing now, just wait till your fist comes through that wall!

- - -

Over at the other end of the street, Daeva focuses her powers on some good old fashion creating-a-void-in-the-fabric-of-reality-and-letting-it-eat-the-centre-mass-of-something-that-really-needs-to-be-made-dead! You know! Like your dad used to do! The Creature screamed as its writhed around trying desparately to fill the gap.

Om did not give it that chance.

Instead his blast sends it skywards, it’s matter exploding into a beautiful fireball and quickly burning out harmlessly. The psychic lightshow was beautiful in its complexity. Like looking at a plasma orb. Quill was clearly impressed, by both of you. Gosh, it must feel nice to be so appreciated!

You turn back to see what’s happening with the newsstand.

- - -

Voidblade landed on the roof and looked down of the battlefield. Dad’s training clearly gave her a superior overview of what was going. And her eagle eye spied the hiding man, his hands moving in a manner clearly mystical! His movements seemed to match that of the Oil Beast! The bugger’s the one in control of it! But even as your eyes lock onto him, you spot something wrong with Opal! Her arms! The Oil on them starts twitching and moving! Almost as if it’s alive…

Oh poo poo!

Elementa’s fist punched through the flimsy wood/steel material. Coiling with something solid. Getting a satisfying shriek of pain as payment. Opal Rips off the door, and seemingly hooks whoever’s hiding inside on the doorknob! As she tosses it aside, it pulls out the body of another Guttermage! This one looks a little less twitchy and a hell of a lot more focused. He hits the ground and rolls to his feet, his left eye already swelling shut.

Even so Elementa can recognise those eyes. This guy? He tried to eat you.

But then suddenly he gestures at Opal! Her arms and legs suddenly start locking up! His fingers move and so do her limbs! Oh no! He’s controlling her through the monster’s oil that’s crept into her body when she smashed the monster!!

[Opal – Roll Defend! To protect your teammates from yourself!]

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"Right everyone", Voidblade interjects with a hurried yet very clear pace through the communicator. It was obvious she had experience in relaying information quickly. "Here we have the old classic 'Squishy wizard man hiding behind a bruiser' scenario. A bruiser that is being puppeteered no less. I advice you ignore Opal for now and focus on clocking out the creep. It's the quickest way to save her I reckon."

"Of course, you're the boss Elementa. I will assist whatever plan you come up with."

So did I get any info from my Assess action for those sweet +1s? I'm assuming the info at least includes 'Wizard is puppeteering Opal.', but what else?

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 24, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
[[Theantero, your infomation is that the biggest threat is this dude who is a bad wizard. and the person under greatest threat is Opal, as he is controling her. You get +1 towards stopping/beating up/helping these two things.]]

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Opal

Opal can feel - well, the sensors in her hands can - the door come apart under her hand. "Score!" she declares, thrilled at the success.

Then an 'eewwwww'. "Who are these creeps?" she asks the group, bringing her arm back to give him a solid punching out.

Her arm wheels back, but never jumps forward, since...it can't. Her body jerks, as it slips out of her control. "drat it. drat it! What're you doing!?" she wails, upset! Second time she's been controlled...and now this dirty creep wants to use her just like he used that monster...like how Daeva used her before.

"No!" She snarls at the wizard. "I'm not going to let you!"

<Platonicsolid> Defending the team....from herself!
<Platonicsolid> .roll 2d6+0
<Platonibot> Platonicsolid: 9 (2d6+0=3, 6)
Going to add a Team to the pool and expose myself to danger.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Things were getting back on track. This was a good thing. Hearing Quill tell me that I was doing well helped alleviate the stress I was feeling. Then again, she was busy dealing with the other guy. She probably didn't see me mess up in front of the rest of the team like Daeva, Opal and Voidblade did. At the same time, though, maybe it wasn't so bad. At least Quill seemed happy to take my lead. No one had also gone against commands as well. Maybe I was overthinking things.

Using Quill's comfort to clear Insecure

"Nice job!" I shouted, as Opal and I worked together to rip apart the man's hiding place. Once he was revealed, I stuttered in place. This was the guy who tried to eat me. I saw the eyes in the eyes of the oil monster. I didn't have much time to think before I noticed Opal.

"Opal, are you ok!?" Something looked clearly wrong with her and my suspicions were confirmed when Voidblade informed the rest of us of the situation. "Let's beat the hell out of the Guttermage! If you aren't too hurt from fighting the oil monster, let's try finishing this quickly together so that we don't have to risk fighting against Opal."

After I gave my orders, I turned and glared at the Guttermage. What was originally fear was replaced by anger. How dare he try to do that Opal? How dare he make me look like a fool? I turned my arms to jagged rocks, not wanting to risk the Guttermage somehow controlling my arms and then ran towards him.

"Don't you dare try and control my friend!"

<jimmydalad> going to roll to directly engage the new Guttermage
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 8+3 = 11
<jimmydalad> Wooooooo!
I gained +1 from Voidblade's assessment and +1 from Game Face
Going to resist/avoid blows and take away his control over Opal

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hooray, that actually worked!

But, uh, guess only because I sort of hosed Om over pretty hard. I... may have forgotten that he's not supposed to push himself too hard. I didn't mean to! It's just, I'm not always used to other people caring about their long term health, since I certainly don't have to anymore due to being damned. He's one of my best friends, and while him absolutely demolshing the Oil Monster was amazing, it came at too high of a price - he's suffering. And I'm too much of a coward to say anything to him, even look at him - I conspicously cast my gaze towards the newly revealed threat up the street instead - while Quill comforts him. I should be doing that, but I can't. Not while we still have stuff to do. He'll survive, he'll forget me having caused this pain one day. He'll forget me one day too.

Quill heads over supporting him and interrupts my pity party, praising my magic and asking if we should join everyone else. It's... pretty much exactly what I need to hear right now. Trying to not look pleased at all, I give her a sly smile nonetheless, and then a response. "Sure." It's only vaguely sarcastic, which is a pretty big win for anybody - she should feel honored. You'd think I'd be more careful dealing with an Angel, but I rub shoulders with Gods and Monsters and sold my soul to a Demon... Quill is HARDLY the weirdest thing about me or my life.

Though speaking of my soul, I sold it for magic. I don't remember exactly why, since it was a different or previous or whatever me that did it, but yeah - suffice it to say, I value magic. And this Guttermage or whatever is seriously poo poo at it, and it's pissing me off. Plus he just hijacked my teammate, and it's Opal! She's one of two people to actually know what I did, what I'm doing, what's probably going to happen to me... I dunno. Seeing this dude manipulate her is pissing me off - good thing I'm a loving Mage and can do something about it!

"Quill! I got Opal!" Might as well let her know what I'm doing so she can react appropriately - and besides, I can already tell I've got this next spell right. Call it a premonition or whatever, but I can feel it. This dude wants to use his magic to bind my friend and use her like a puppet? Then I'll just sever the stupid metaphysical strings. Pausing for a moment or two to let my eyes go wide, to see the flow of magic between him and her, I see them and then act. All it takes is a bit of concentation and a slicing somatic gesture, and she's freed from his grasp for good.

<Rauri> Defend Opal
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 11+1=12
<Rauri> wow
Take Influence over someone you protect
Also PlatonicSolid, pointing out that per backgrounds Daeva never controlled Opal

"Feeling better Opal?" I can't help but ask that, I want some credit for my spellcraft dammit!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 25, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Speeding through the rooftops and jumping over the gaps with ease, Voidblade made good time closer to the engagement. Her powers did not have the range of Om's, she needed to be closer. Once on the edge of the building closest to the mage, a faint smile crept on her lips behind the mask. She could see it clearly now, the way the mage weaved his fingers in sync to Opal's movements (even though the girl was putting up a good show of resisting!). This meant the spell had somatic components.

Eva closed her eyes, and felt around for the wriggling appendages with her mind. The man would learn why using one of the more fragile parts of the human body as a focus was unwise.

quote:

Theantero: Rolling to Directly Engage, getting +2 from Knowing the mage guy is a threat and that he's using a spell to control opal
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9+1 = 10

Her smile grew wider as she found a psychic grip on the mage's fingers. With a sickening CRUNCH, she pulled them all backwards. Let's see the man casting spells now, hah!

From her vantage point on the rooftop, Eva glanced at Om's general direction. Yeah, it wasn't so much the amount of power that you had that mattered, but how you used it.

Picking 'Resist or avoid their blows' and 'Take something from them' (namely, their ability to cast spells)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 2/5 | Burn: 0 | Conditions: Afraid, Guilty, Angry

Someone was talking to OM, he rolled sideways to see who it was. Ah, it was Quill. OM had no idea what she was actually saying to him but somehow it felt very reassuring.

He gave her a thumbs up.

Clearing Insecure, just in case I need to do some defending

With a mouth tasting of tin and few inaudible grumbles, OM pried himself off of the Floor.

"Sorry girls, cooked off a bad load there." It want their fault not really, I tried to do too much at once whilst holding onto those negative emotions. Bloody hurt though, at the least the helmet isn't broken. Hands on his knees he feels his aura settling from flash boil to merely simmering. A bath, yes, that is what OM wants and maybe someone to rub his throbbing temples. And some green tea with yak butter. And a bed. And possibly a dose of those medicinal herbs his Uncle gave him, 'good for the chakras' he had said. Although OM wasn't sure why he winked afterwards.

"Can you get that mage without me for a moment? I need a breather"

OM is gonna chill and make sure everything is secured with the cars back here. Ideally it should be.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 25, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

With Om obviously feeling better, I felt better to let him hold his own weight, even if he was a bit unsteady on his feet.

Seeing Opal in danger set my heart skipping a beat. I had to do something. Voidblade was right, take out the mage, and with Daeva saying she had Opal, I knew what I had to do.

I launched off the ground and flew towards the mage. I could see Elementa moving in for an attack on the creep and spiralled round behind.

"You're getting nervous again."
"Shut up Az, you aren't helping."
"You can do this, it is simply a matter of resolve, child."
"For gently caress's sake Az, leave me alone."

She landed as snow flurried around her harsh descent and moved quickly behind the mage.

Seeing Elementa's rocky punch about descend, Quill transformed her wings instantly back to their sturdy metallic form and slammed into the mage from behind, hoping to hit him hard, block his escape and increase whatever blow Elementa was about to do.

attacking the guttermage: 2d6+0 6
Can I get a team point please?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Opal

Clicking and grinding comes from Opal, as she uses her hydraulics and ears to fight against the power of the oil. "Not great, El!" she shouts. Her right arm swings with a sudden click as the oil wins for a moment.

Fighting against herself, it's a weird feeling. Daeva's up to something, moving her arms and then...bam! My whole body jerks as I'm freed and the oil starts oozing out of gaps. "Yeah," I pant, rolling my shoulders and stretching my arms and legs. "Thanks. Ick, I feel all dirty inside."

"You!" I shout, anger smouldering off the top of my head, storming towards the guttermage and giving him a solid kick.

Kicking the guttermage!
<Platonicsolid> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Platonicsolid: 7 (2d6+2=2, 3)

You're so right, Rauri, I meant Voidblade. :-(

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

With Opal saved and Om recovering, there's really only one thing left to go after on the blizzardy battleground - the stupid, no talent Guttermage that caused this whole mess. I apparently gave enough of a poo poo about magick in a past life to trade my soul away for it - if anyone's allowed to be elitist about it, it's me.

Thing is, Elementa and Quill are already charging him. Elementa's got him dead to rights, but Quill's slowed up by the snowstorm I accidentally created - enough that she's basically telegraphing her attack to this guy. Lets see if I can't help her out.

Reaching out towards the snow, I invert the heat of the area immediately in front of her with a fairly simple spell, making the best of my earlier mistake (it's what I do every day, I'm used to it). Now, the downpour of snow - thick, but possible to see Quill through - has been replaced by a blinding burst of steam right by the Guttermage. Quill knows where she's going and Elementa's practically there, and now this guy's got no way of reacting to Quill's charge.

Spending a team to increase Quill's result by 1.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Thank you Rauri!

As Quill comes in to attack, her movements are slow, thinking precisely what she wants to do, but Az knows what is really going through Quill's head.

"Child, that's enough, you must not let this fear of the fight control you. Yes, this is the first human you have ever attacked. When a mortal with unknowable motives presents himself and you are forced to confront there is nothing to be done. But this man has attacked your allies, your friends. Stop procrastinating and fight!"

A cloud of steam emerges out of the snow and Quill's steely wings glisten in the heat. Surprised at the unexpected cover, knowing it must have been Daeva's magic, she smiled, and launched her attack against the mage. Her right wing stays rigid, as she pummels it into the mage, colliding hard and fast. Her left wing curves outwards and around in order to cut off any escape. This mage was toast.

Picking 'Take something from them', hopefully his chance to escape!

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 27, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Everyone

OH DEAR GOD

The mage is dropped. Caught between Quill and Elementa, he's battered into submission, his fingers are broken by Voidblade, with Daeva provides some minor support to keep the team ticking over. Meanwhile Opal tries to break free of the control, something bursts in her arms, damaging the internal servos, but Daeva's powers safeguard her from further damage. Forcing the oil out of her limbs! Freeing her! Letting her get in the last crucial blow. A sucker punch that sent the mage into a wall.

He slumps to the floor. Unconscious. Probably for the best. You beat the snot out of him!

Om, Daeva the magical energies begin to settle themselves in the immediate area. Looks like that's the last mage!

The tell tale sirens of the Halcyon city police department become more apparent in the background. It's over. You won! Your communicators all beep!

[ [ Well done team. Please return back to base for debriefing. ] ]

News travel's fast apparently. Because reporters start flooding in! Uh oh! They weren't exactly favourable the last time around, and looking at the devastation arrayed around you, they might not be quite so favourable this time ether!

What do you guys do? Head back to base? Face the media head one? Split up? Come on! Tell me!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Hah, the way these people always appear so fast and out of nowhere almost constitutes a heroic power of its own!", Voidblade chirps into the comms, her tone noticeably more chipper now that the mission was over. "And yeah as much as I'd decidedly not stay around and humour them, it is true they already have an, uh, unflattering opinion of us. Even if they aren't willing to give us a fair chance, I reckon it will still be better than letting the tabloids make their own conclusions."

Voidblade stared at the advancing reporters from behind her mask. Dad never answered the press either. Of course, he might have been crazy enough that it would not have done him much good anyway, but still, something that Dad refused to do is something worth at least considering!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

RIght, damage report.

All limbs are still attached, my mind is my own, and no one seems to have actually died, I would consider that a success!

He looked around at all the broken down cars and possibly gawking bystanders staring at the radiant psionic plasma ball that even now was blazing over the fight scene, although it was starting to peter out. 'Hmm, I think that is going to get me a stern talking to from Uncle, he always gets very annoyed when I end up creating psionic anomalies from over exerting myself. It gets really embarrassing when people bring it up to me in public too, I don't think I will be forgetting that public break down any time soon. At least I didn't cause collateral this time.

"You err, you can all go home now, the danger is past." Silence, OM could just feel himself melting under awkward stares. "I'll just err, just leave now, bye." After an awkward silence, OM very sheepishly shuffles his way into a back-alley and broke into a run when he is out of sight.

He went to lodge a message into Quill's mind, stopped at the thought of that voice shouting at him again and tried a different tact.

He 'knocked', and whispered "If you have a moment, I think me and Quill should get the Gutter-mages back to Alliance HQ. If that's okay by you, sir."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Quill took a great sigh, and looked around the devastated road. It was done, and she smiled contently. Her team was safe, and seeing Opal knock that arse of a guttermage out made her feel fantastic. Everything was going to be fine.

Voidblade was walking over to the press. I began to dust myself off and shake my wings free of concrete dust and snow.
"What do you think?" I mumbled to Az, staring off at the stampede of reporters, flashing cameras already going off in the distance.
"You want my opinion now?" said Az, his voice low and steady. I wandered over to the beaten guttermage and slung him over my shoulder. I had lots of questions for him when he woke up.
"Yeah..." I said quietly, hoping Az would pick up on the guilt in my voice. He was annoyed with me, but our fights never lasted long.
"Voidblade is correct in her take that we should address the masses with a calming and heroic message of strength, however I fail to see how our...battleground could be taken as anything but a fault on our part. It seems this team will be known for its destruction in the wake of success."
"That's not our fault." I said, sternly, feeling accused.
"Indeed not, but these men do not preach true but seek to place blame and sell their pathetic papers. We should stay clear of them."
"Suits me." I said, at last finding the first guttermage we found in the alleyway and putting him under my arm.

Suddenly, Quill felt a knocking sound,

Om: "If you have a moment, I think me and Quill should get the Gutter-mages back to Alliance HQ. If that's okay by you, sir."

"I think such an idea is most suitable Om, we already have the mages in hand." said Az, with a great warmth in his voice, as if smiling as he spoke, but who could know.
"Literally! We are by the dumpster at the alleyway we scared the first mage at, come to me and we can head off." said Quill

"Oh and Om? I much appreciate your asking for permission. Please feel welcome to talk to us, anytime. But a knock first would ensure...safety for all involved. Tis' no threat you must understand my friend, but my mind is vast and I should hate to see you lost in it."
"Az! Be nice! He did as you asked."
"I am being nice. A true gentleman deserves every courtesy, including a friendly warning on the dangers of speaking to me unawares.

Quill groaned slightly at Az's behaviour but rolled her eyes too, knowing the angel was trying to be good, making an effort to help.
She reached for her comms:
"Unless anyone has an objections, I'll take these two magicians back to the base with Om, I'm sure we have a few questions for them, and need to be put in a special cell, i'm sure the police here would have a tough time containing them."

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 27, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Oh wow, we beat some really lovely mages that are absolute jokes when it comes to magical power, big deal. Guess we kept some people safe, but as far as I'm concerned, these two shouldn't have been able to do the damage they did without some sort of help - and knowing how a lot of mages (my past self included, sadly) work, they probably were harnessing someone or something else's power. Questioning them is so obvious I don't even bother to respond when my teammates start talking about it - they're promising heroes with bright futures ahead of them, they've got a good handle on how to handle this situation, even as the press swoops in like vultures around us.

Me on the other hand? Yeah, I'm totally hosed, and one of the only upsides to that is that I don't have to care what the press says about me - so when they approach I turn my back to them, preferring to face the minor magical catastrophe I managed to cause instead. Giant blizzard in the middle of summer, that definitely made the team look great. gently caress. I just want to help them out as much as I can before... well, let's not think about that.

Focus, Daeva. Raising my hands towards the unnatural weather all around me, I shiver for just a moment. It's hard to not feel alone and forlorn, even after we've won. The blizzard starts to subside at my command, but it's impossible to not be reminded that the powers I wield aren't really my own. I'm the pawn of a demon, and I just made a bunch of actual heroes look bad. Why shouldn't I feel bad? Even as I ease the storm all around me, returning the weather patterns to normal, I can't help but dwell on having hurt the people that bizarrely enough seem to care about me...

<Rauri> Daeva Unleash Powers to remove the Blizzard
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+1=7
<Rauri> thank goodness
Marking Guilty instead of it being temporary or unstable

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty

I let out a sigh once the battle was over. While it didn't go entirely to plan, they did well enough that I considered it a success. In any case, there wasn't too much time to think about what had happened in detail before the press started to arrive. I could feel the nerves slowly appearing. This was the part that I probably was least looking forward to. Judging from the mess that had occurred from the mixture of Daeva's blizzard mishap and the general destruction caused by the Guttermages, they probably had less than favorable things to say about the team. However, I knew that the team would have to face them sooner or later.

"Good job everyone." I reassured everyone over the communicators, just in time to see Om awkwardly trying to address the press that had just arrived. Sighing to myself, I watch Daeva dispersing the blizzard. "That sounds like a good idea Quill. Om looked pretty beat after what he did to the oil monster, so I think a rest from the press would probably be best. I'm going to talk to the press and hopefully improve the image that we have. Voidblade, would you mind joining me? I'd rather not face them alone. As for the others, feel free to join Om and Quill back to home base. If you really want to face the press, I won't stop you, but I doubt they'll be friendly, especially with how messy this place looks."

Taking a deep breath, I turned to face the press. This was really where I had to shine. I was the leader and as such, was probably going to be the face of the team. To be honest, I was now wishing Voidblade got the role of Captain. I felt more like a liability in certain stages of the fight plus I wouldn't have to be the one to deal with the reporters. However, the team had faith in me, so I couldn't really say no. As I walked up to the press, I realized that even though we've acted as a team, we haven't named ourselves yet.

"Oh god, we haven't got a team name! Shoot names over to me through the communicator quickly so that I actually have one to give to the press fast." I quickly relayed to the others. I made an effort to maintain my composure and not give away my nerves to the press. Ok Elementa, you can do this. I took a hard look at the reporters as I tried to gauge the best way to approach this situation. I can do this. I can do this. It was looking even clearer that I wasn't going to be able to see Fiero today. I'll need to send him a text later.

Marking potential from Game Face due to defeating the large threat.

<jimmydalad> Rolling to pierce the mask of the reporters
<Scarybagels> and they are now posting about you on GBS
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 9+3 = 12
What do you want me to do?
How could I get your character to like and support our team?
How can I gain influence over you?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Just so you all know I have DIBS on a one-on-one comfort roll on Elementa to clear her Guilty when the reporters disperse. If you disagree I will fite you IRL :mad:

Eva nods towards Elementa as she sees her sauntering over, clearly happy to have backup with the reporters. "A name you say?", the communicator crackles to life, "Well we have a lot of magic and such so how about Team Excalibur?"

"..."

"Yeah I like swords bite me." Eva chuckles a bit, takes Elementa's side and turns her keen eyes back on the press. What was their angle?

quote:

Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 4+2 = 6

She grimaced. Her intuition was sharp, but she had markedly less experience in looking for info not useful for eventual stabbing. She would have to curse Dad and his one-tack training regimen later.

"So, uh, boss. What's your take?"

I think we still have Team so if Elementa could throw me some that would be grand. If she does, I will be asking "What here can I use to give a good impression of us?"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Looking over towards Voidblade, I noticed that she looked uncomfortable. I had become so used to her being so confident and assured of herself that seeing her like this was a little jarring. Come to think of it, her father didn't really talk to the press at all. Maybe their family was the type that let their actions speak more so than words? In a way, it was sort of cute seeing her like this. It was also reassuring because it reinforced that Eva was only human. She wasn't some sort of superheroine who had done everything and was so much better than the team. She was like them, like myself.

"I think we need to take it as it comes." I admitted, holding onto her hand in reassurance that they were in this together. "Don't worry, I'll be doing most of the talking anyways. Just make sure you back me up and take over if I look unsure or you think I'm doing something that will make our team look bad. After our first mission, this would be a really good time to help make our image better to the public."

There was still a bit of time before the reporters reached us. I wanted to help Eva. I felt compelled to. She had been so supportive of me during the fight, I felt like I had to reciprocate. I looked at her right in the eyes and made sure the comms didn't pick up what I was going to say.

"Hey, Eva, I wouldn't have asked you to help me with the interviews if I didn't think you were capable of doing so. To be honest, you're probably the most reliable person in our team. You've done the hero business before and you just seem so capable in everything. I voted for you to be the leader of our team and I'm sure you would've been great. I'm relying on you to back me up, especially when I falter. I know I wasn't the best out there today and there were times when I felt completely useless. Yet you and the others were there to make up for that. So, would you help me out with this? I know you may not be fully comfortable with it, but just knowing you're there to make sure I don't completely mess up is reassuring. I have faith in you, Eva."

Spending a team to help boost her observations by helping her with her nerves.

<jimmydalad> Gonna comfort/support Voidblade
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 11+3 = 14
Going to clear Guilty personally, sorry Theantro T_T.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 28, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Elementa: "Oh god, we haven't got a team name! Shoot names over to me through the communicator quickly so that I actually have one to give to the press fast."

Quill thought hard, pondering everything about the team, who they were, what they stood for, she started rambling into the communicator.

"The magic avengers! Wait no, the The spirit rangers! No that's lame....oh, how about The Prestige! It's the last act in a magic trick, kind of makes us sound important too. Says a little about our style too, but team Excalibur works."

Quill's excitement was evident, but she saw the press heading straight for her, and turned away, blocking their gaze with her wings. Her mind suddenly travelled to thoughts of her father, constantly staring into the news.
"I doubt our visage will be making many headlines tonight, child. You needn't worry. Time for us to depart." Az's words soothed her mild panic and she ignored and maneuvered around the reporters, away from the crowd and towards the base. Thank God they were more interested in taking pictures of her gigantic wings than hearing any answers from her.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Shifting down Freak and shifting up Mundane from Elementa's support

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Eva smiled at Elementa faintly as the girl offered her words of encouragement. "Heh, thanks Sarah. It's good to hear some actual encouragement for a change. Dad never believed in that, thinks it makes you 'weak' or whatever." She glances slightly awkwardly to the side for a bit, then turns back and smiles again. "But look, that is something I wanted to talk about with you actually. The way you talk yourself down and me up. That feeling of inferiority was kinda obvious on your face after you fell on your rear end there on the beginning, and yeah you kinda did there's no point in trying to deny that. But like, the point is that we have only been on two missions, and you did fine on the first one. We all fall on our asses and smear our faces in the mud on occasion, it just happened to you this time."

Eva's smile gains bit of a sad tinge, "I mean, you know why I know that look so well? It's because Dad never fails to notice even the tiniest mistake, and never fails to lecture you on it for hours afterwards. I can't even begin to count all the times I've felt miserable because of that, must've been a good fifth of my life with him, hah. So yeah, I know how it feels to fail." She puts her hand on Elementa's shoulder. "But that's why we're a team right? Dad might think he's too perfect to ever make mistakes, but we're not that dumb. The point of a Team, as much as the in-battle synergies, connections and such is the fact that we are there for each other when we fall down. I was there for you, and I will always be. And I know you will be there for me when my inevitable turn to stumble comes."

"Hell, of all the people in this team, you are the one I'm most sure would be there to rush for my aid. The fact that you are used to dealing with people, with responsibility, and the fact that you clearly care about them and would do anything for them practically oozes from you. The split-second timings? The rad as hell backflips? Those come with training. But that sort of spirit and empathy, willingness to push yourself to the limit for the sake of other people? That's something you can't train for. That's something you just have. And that's why I voted you for leader."

Eva removes her hand, her smile changing into a cocked half-smirk, as she turned to face the advancing press once more.

"But anyways", she whispered through the comms now, "look good for the camera."

quote:

Theantero Rolling to comfort/support Elementa
Theantero !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot Theantero, 8+2 = 10

Adding Team to pool

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 29, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Opal

Man, that felt good!

Not a moment's regret while she sucker-kicks the gutter mage across the alley and up against the wall.

Opal's smiling. "Try to control me."

"Dick."

Opal stretches her right arm, shifting it up and down some, testing it. It makes clicking noises, shifting and moving in jerky rather than smooth motions. A face, and she prods it a few times, as if checking a wounded limb. Which, it is, just not a flesh wound.

Elementa's summons to the team grabs her attention and she perks up visibly. Team name? PRESS!?

Opal turns, letting her broken arm fall to her side, still twitching on occasion as something shorts together.

"Hey!" she calls to the gathered members of the media. "Hey!" She calls more loudly, "You all want a story or not? Haclyon News-Press? Beacon Reporter? Channel Seven? Oh, hey, you're from HalcyonNow!? I love your blog." She uses her good hand to make a phone gesture.

"Just saved the city from a couple rampaging mages!" Opal says excitedly. "They were up to something nefarious, using oil monsters to attack innocent citizens! Even got inside of me!" she flails her damaged arm for emphasis. "But thanks to us, the Millennial Defenders, they were stopped in their tracks! The monsters are gone and the mages are on their way to Justice!" She says justice as if it were capitalized. "Thanks to teamwork and the guidance of our brave leader, Elementa!" she declares, gesturing to her friend, smiling, and turning all the attention straight on her.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Elementa: "Oh god, we haven't got a team name! Shoot names over to me through the communicator quickly so that I actually have one to give to the press fast."
Quill: "The magic avengers! Wait no, the The spirit rangers! No that's lame....oh, how about The Prestige! It's the last act in a magic trick, kind of makes us sound important too. Says a little about our style too, but team Excalibur works."

Om purses his lips as he silently rolls both of the suggested names around his tongue. "I'll put one vote towards The Prestige, It's short and punchy and tells people exactly what we are about. People'll like it, I should know."

This is going well, all we need to do now is leave quietly with our prisoners and-

Opal: "Hey!" she calls to the gathered members of the media. "Hey!" She calls more loudly, "You all want a story or not?"

Om's hand slaps against his bowl dome. "Oh my gods Opal, are you for real?" Om muttered just possibly loud enough for only Quill to hear.

Then somewhat more audibly into the communicator OM says "We are not going to be named the Millennial Defenders Opal, I might just die of embarrassment if that's the name that sticks!"

"Boss please say something before that name follows us for the rest of our lives." OM pleaded to Elementia.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 31, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Scene of the Crime

The team splits up, Om, Daeva, and Quill departing for two reasons. One to get two unconscious bad dudes away and into an AI holding cell.

The second was because of Opal.

The press look to where the cyborg girl was pointing, at the somewhat stunned Elementa and Voidblade. Then they immediately rush Opal, cameras, microphones, and Dictaphones pushed at her from every angle. They scream questions at her, a veritable pack of wolves who've happened on the weak member of the herd. The press were already looking to continue their narrative, and Opal had handed them that on a silver platter. Voidblade and Elementa were going to have to work hard to salvage the situation, before Opal put her foot in it even more!

Voidblade posted:

What here can I use to give a good impression of us?

Well the environment spoke for itself really. Save some (admittedly pretty serious looking) damage to a few cars, and that one newsstand you busted up. The rest of the place is in shockingly good nick. No harmed people, no damage to the surrounding buildings. Hell, even the cars that got tossed around stuck mostly to the middle of the street. Given that most of the damage happened before you got here, that's great! The other advantage that you've got, is actually one of your mistakes.

The blizzard

The early gently caress up by Daeva actually ended up being to your benefit. For one thing, it provided a very useful tool to restrict the action to a limited area. For another? It hid your activities to the outside. The Press weren't able to see what you were doing until Daeva banished it. Now that could be construed as a bad thing. But equally, without any evidence on film it's hard to say that it was you guys who caused any of the damage. Plus the witnesses that you pulled from the cars will no doubt be very happy to put across what they say. I.e. you guys being big drat heroes!

Also, there's a cheeky couple kids who are now having a snowball fight somewhere in the background. Cute.

Elementa posted:

What do you want me to do?

It was blatantly obvious that the press's narrative so far was that this new team of young heroes were in over their head, that they were not ready for the limelight, that they were destructive, undisciplined, and dangerous to the city and the civilians they claimed to protect! They'd come here to see further evidence of that. But, not all of the reporters were so jaded. Some of them seemed to look at the team with that little spark of hope. They even winced with Opal declared the team's name to be "Millennial Defenders"

What they wanted was for the team to fight back, to come out swinging, to surprise the media, and change the narrative. Engage it on their terms. Of course some wanted quite the opposite. One such reporter was a weasel of a man. If weasels were fat and had a face that spoke of too many stakes and bottles of red. This man's name was Ron Bugman, and to call him a reporter was an insult to good journalists. It would also be factually inaccurate. Ron, was a host. A personality. For the Halcyon's own brand of right wing conservative nut-jobs. Free Eagle Press, or the F.E.P for short. His piggy little eyes fixed on Opal, and he licked his jowly lips. This guy? This guy wanted you to fail so hard, he'd come down here to berate you before in front of all the press.

Wow, what a dick.

"Now! Now see here! Look at what you've done! Have you no shame! The damage you've cause is inexcusable! Inexcusable I say! You act without any notion of the harm that you and your reckless action has caused our great city! AND yet! And yet! You stand acting like this is all a game!!! And you have nothing to say for yourself!" Bugman screams at her. None of what he said were questions. He didn't want Opal to answer. What he wanted was a reaction. And a reaction he might get! You've got to get her out of there and fast!

The rest of the press chimed in with a barrage of questions designed to confuse and cause Opal to trip up.
"What's your name?"
"Did you come up with the team name using a random text generator?"
"What happened to your arm? Where did you get them?"
"Are you a robot?"
"What's your opinion on the collapse of the peace process in Gaza?"
"Who're you voting for in the upcoming elections?"
"Are you pro-life or pro-choice?"
"Do you like hammocks?"
"How much is a pint of milk?"

[Opal - Do you have a hero name? Do you even have a costume? Do you even have a mask?]

Elementa posted:

How could I get your character to like and support our team?

Step one, show Bugman up. Make him look like an arsehole- well more of an arsehole, and do it in front of all of these cameras. Show wit. Show class, show that you're not just any bunch of teens with super powers. They'll warm up to you pretty quickly after that. Don't be the aggressor though. Play defensive, and keep your cool.

Step two, do it together. You need to present a united front, and a united team! Okay, getting Opal out might seem counter productive for that. But the sooner you can present a coherent and on point message the better off you'll be. Especially if you can take Bugman down a peg or two.

Elementa posted:

How can I gain influence over you?

You'll need to show you're pretty P.R. savvie with this one. For one thing, you've already got Bugman screaming at you. But you'll need to keep a couple of things under wraps. The first, is that Voidblade's father is... well a murdering nut job. Two that Voidblade has psychic powers. The last thing you need is Bugman declaring that you're attacking him mentally when it is in point of fact that last vestiges of his conscience trying to remind him they exist.

Play to the crowd, push your narrative, give them a team name that's not going to get six year old to mock you on the street. Come up with a clever explanation for what a Millennial Defender actually is. Be the team leader.

Save the day and look good while you're at it. Remember, you're not going to win over everyone. But appeal to the one's who seem to have your back. If you can turn enough of them. They might even take your side against Bugman.

So, Elementa, Voidblade, and Opal... what on earth do you do?

- - -

Home again, home again. jiggity jog.

Quill, Daeva, and Om drop the two very unconscious (and who could blame them) wizards off in an AI holding cell, at their central command. Specially designed to be a temporary holding cell while a more... permanent arrangement can be reached. A few of the heroes glance your way as you go. The whole place is a hive of heroic activity. Heck, a couple of them even give a respectful nod your way. Not bad kids! Not bad at all!

With the two of them safely behind the warded, and reinforced arcane holding cells, you've got a bit of a chance to catch your breath. Oh! And look who just woke up at the very moment the barrier rises. Knify looks around bleary. His eyes growing wide with concealed panic as he realises where he's ended up.

[Quill, that string you can see? You watch as it snaps. As though whatever was holding it up just decided to cut it's puppets string. Strange you didn't see if until he was awake again though... Maybe you should ask your team for some advice?]

Regardless though, you all head back to base to await the arrival of the rest of the team! Technically, It's been a really good day!

The day becomes somewhat less good when you walk into the base to find a girl standing in the middle of it in quite some distress!

She's carrying all manner of bulky bags, filled with what looks to be tools and mechanical parts, and from the way that she's shivering and snuffling as you walk in, it looks like she's worked herself up into quite a state! She bursts into tears when she sees you! Attempting to explain something, though it's practically impossible to make out through the sobbing. Three things however, are very clear.

The first is that she's not a threat, given that she's bawling like a lost little girl, and she's got an A.I. identification badge on! It looks like it says 'Samantha', but her arm's covering the rest of it.

The second is that she looks to be in your age bracket, and despite the fact that she's somewhat upset, she's somewhat shy and reserved. She's short with a very skinny, underfed build. She also, at least for appearance sake, looks cute as a button. (If buttons could cry).

The last, is that in amongst all of her sobs she manages to get something across at least. She's the technician! Opal must have messaged her earlier on before you left! God only know's how long she's been standing here, with what looks like the contents of an entire workshop!

"I-I was soooooooooooo w-worriedddddddddddddd!" She manages to get out. wiping at her tears.

Well this is rather unexpected.

You comunicators buzz, and buzz and buzz, and buzz. What looks to be no less then 15 messages asking where everyone is, what's going on, is everyone okay, so on and so forth. All from the same call tag. "Techi". The last buzz looks to be from Proffessor Shad!

"YO guyyz, I am on my way to the Base-hizzie, we'll do the debrief when you've all assembled. YO! - THE SHAD-MAN" It reads like an old guy trying to sound like he's... down with the kidz.

.....okay....

What do you do?

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 31, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Om just looked at the message he got and then said "That man is something special." He turned and waved at the tech, every part of his being seemed to slump downwards. "Sorry miss for worrying you it's just been a bit of a long day, we're all good, the other three are being savaged by the press. I'm going to go and restore my karmas in my room if you don't mind me. I need a bath." Said OM as he floated away not unlike a ghost.

Under his breath was a muttered litany of "Millennial Rangers, unbelievable, that's not just a crime against the artform of superhero naming it's a blasphemy!"

His door swung open at his passage and he slid into it, shutting it with a click.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Quill physically winced in pain when she heard the name "Millennial Defenders".
What was Opal doing? We had all done so well! And now...if they got stuck with that name, the team would be a laughing stock for the rest of their lives.

Om:"Oh my gods Opal, are you for real?"

I sighed and laughed at Om's reaction, glad I wasn't the only one who knew this was a bad idea. Underneath that dome of his was a sweet guy, a sweet guy with a lot of power but sweet nonetheless. And he made a real effort with Az.
No one's ever done that before, granted, no one else has even been able to talk to him before, but after my angel's rude behaviour, Om still came back and tried to speak with him, with me. He made that effort for me. No one had ever done that for me before.

Quill's eyes softened and her smile widened, having finally found someone she felt she could trust.

"Child, I need you to focus for a moment." I shook myself out of my daydream.
"I want you to see that Opal...girl."
I nodded, feeling a deep anger for Opal's silly, selfish actions. Something I thought would not break the team was someone on the inside, trying to over step the mark. Such a childish game to play in a world of heroes and very very bad very dangerous villains.
"I want you to watch her, and see that she is your weakness."
"What?"
"Not personally Quill. but your team's. Should this weakness fall you must let it fall alone and save the team before her."
"But Az!"
"Her actions put you all at risk. Not just in the eyes of man. This futile display of bravado is pathetic and you agree with me."
I went silent.
"Being able to know your weaknesses allows you to grow. Unless this Opal improves dramatically, I would suggest holding onto this anger and knowing how little you can trust her judgement."

I stood there, not really sure how to respond. Az was harsh but was right. These were actions that showed Opal thought about herself first and the team second, something I couldn't help but get my pulse racing in fury.

As Om pleaded for mercy from Elementa to help the team, I put my hand on his shoulder and motioned I was leaving. Walking slowly towards the AI Base, the two lumbering mages held aloft by the hard metal structure of my wings, I waved my hand over to Daeva, trying to catch her attention. She had just let the blizzard disperse and seemed a bit sad. Wish I could make her smile.

"Hey," I moved over towards Daeva till I was in her sight line.

"Listen, this might seem kind of out of place, I mean, you probably are fine, I mean you are you, so you are always going to be badass, but I know maybe sometimes, i mean I know I doubt myself, not that you have any reason to doubt me! Or yourself of course. I mean I haven't ever doubted you, like ever! No!"

"PATIENCE!" I jumped slightly at Az's frustrated scream in my head.

"The Blizzard was a really good idea, helped cover my attack on the mage, made our work here so much better. You-You didn't do anything stupid. You're a great mage, and you and Om, you two practically saved the day. I-just-wanted-you-to- know-that-ok?-bye."

I walked away quickly, towards the base, practically tripping over my words to escape my own embarrassment. Replaying the hell I had just created in my head over and over again. I had been a stuttering, anxious mess, red faced and stupid. I just wanted to let her know she was amazing. She was a great hero and her magic had helped turn the tide today. Why couldn't I keep these feelings under control...

Team move: Sharing a triumphant celebration with Daeva, up to you if it's meaningful.
----

The AI base was amazing and I was so excited to be putting our first criminals away for good. I felt so right to be here, in the halls of these great people, these great defenders.

We dropped the guttermages off in their new homes. I hadn't seen the weird strand thing coming out of the mage anymore, so I thought it wasn't worth mentioning. The barriers rose up and I was about to walk away with the rest of my team, when confused McKnifey woke up and I started to see it again, this odd string. I stopped and turned, walking slowly to peer at this strange phenomenon. Was I the only one seeing this? Glistening and beautiful in its thin, delicate silken texture, I saw it rising up into the roof. The mage started to panic and suddenly it snapped! The thread seemed to sing for a second as if it was plucked gently and out of nowhere it was cut.

"Guys, did you see that! Did you see that thread?" I motioned in a kind of panic to Daeva and Om.

I raced over to the barrier of the cell, my wings spread in readiness.
I knew there was something bigger going on here. I knew this wasn't over yet. I yelled at the mage, knowing I'd scared this guy once before, I could do it again, sharpening my wings into dangerous, metal points.

"Hey, mage, that Master of yours you were talking about, I get the impression he literally just cut ties with you didn't he? I can see it. Tell me who this master of yours is. Tell me what that oil monster was really about!"

Provoke the guttermage, to tell me about his master and information
provoke the guttermage in the cell: 2d6+2 11

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Fre: -1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: 3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

"Thanks Eva. You don't know how much that means to me." I was trying to hold back tears a little bit. Don't want to be a wreck for the press. "I became a hero because I wanted to save people. Speedy, my sponsor, used to lecture me about causing damage to my surroundings and that I needed to be more careful. It sucked hearing it at the time, but it's nice to know that I've learned from my mistakes. I used to get myself in trouble all the time. Heck, maybe I still do."

Going to shift Saviour up to +1 and Danger down to 0

At the sound of commotion, I sighed with frustration at Opal's antics. What did she think she was doing? Whatever she was doing attracted press to her like moths to a flame. I gave a look of exasperation mixed with worry to Voidblade. Sure, Opal had done press before. She's a cyborg, it'd be hard for her not to be noticed. However, I don't think she did anything of this magnitude. Additionally, she wasn't happy with the name Millenial Defenders more so because she didn't communicate with the rest of the group what she was doing. However, we were in the public eye, so we had to put up a united front.

"Opal, don't let Bugman get to you, he wants you to react. You're so much better than him, don't rise to his insults." Having communicators was really useful sometimes, especially for conversations you don't want the public to hear. If Opal reacted badly to Bugman's statements, she was going to drag the whole team's reputation down with her. I wanted to make an effort to avoid that. Getting off of the communicator, I then turned my attention to Eva.

"Come on, let's try cleaning this mess up."

Walking towards the press and making my way through them to Opal, I thought about what to say. This was gonna be a basic battle of the words and I knew I had to improve on the impression that we made on our first mission. When I looked at how we did, I realized we did much better than that time. We also had to appeal to the press and give them what they want, to a certain degree. When I thought about it, it was a bit like what I had to do to be class president. Let them hear what they want to hear, but do so in a way that makes you look good. The only thing really different was the scope of it all. I hope. After a bit of time, I managed to make it to where Opal was and while she had time to answer some basic questions, I realized that now would probably be a good time to step in. First goal, get rid of the name Millenial Defenders. Once Opal had finished speaking, I decided to swoop in.

"As my friend, Robot Grrl, said, we like to call ourselves the Millenial Defenders. However, I believe there has been a bit of a misunderstanding in what she means." I took a second to compose myself and put on a confident front before I continued. "Like Robot Grrl said, I am Elementa, the leader of our team. The Millenial Defenders was the name we gave to our generation of the Alliance Initiative. It isn't our team name, rather something we believe is an accurate representation of what we as the current generation of heroes represent. We are Millenials, that much is true, however, as heroes, our duties are to protect the citizens of Halcyon City to the greatest of our abilities and we fight hard to make sure that we can achieve such goals, hence why we are defenders."

I took a second to let the words sink in, before continuing.

"In particular, our team, The Prestige, do our best to uphold these beliefs and prefer to demonstrate them through our actions. Though we do our best to protect the city's infrastructure, we realize that our priority is to protect the residents of the city from threatening forces, as was the case today. The Guttermages were controlling a large, oil-based monster that destroyed cars with innocent people in it to get access to the oil within them. As a team, we recognized that we needed to keep the people safe and contain the damage that the oil monster could do. Due to its size, leaving the city completely undamaged was more of a fantasy than a reality, but we made strong efforts to contain the damage and make sure that no civilians were threatened. This could be seen, for example, with the appearance of the blizzard that was created by my teammate, Daeva. She did this not only to cool down the oil monster, slowing it and containing the damage it could do to the city, but also to warn those who may not have access to the news that the area was to be avoided, thus preventing potential victims."

So I was stretching the truth a bit. I felt it was what the press wanted to hear, though. Better to have a good story behind why a sudden blizzard appeared in the area rather than tell them that she lost control of her powers. I could already imagine Bugman's eyes if he managed to get his hands on something like that. I didn't want him to get any satisfaction from my team. I needed to play this smart. As for the name Robot Grrl, that came about from discussions I had with Opal about her superhero name. It probably wasn't the one that she liked the most, but at least it would serve as an indicator that I wasn't too happy with her actions.

"Mr. Bugman, I assure you that none of the members of my team think what we are doing is a game. We take pride in being heroes and recognize the responsibility that is associated with having such a role within the community. In fact, I ordered Voidblade and Robot Grrl to focus on saving civilians and getting them out of the potential danger zone. I do so because I trust in my team to take their roles seriously as heroes and act in a way that would make the Alliance Initiative proud. As a leader, I need to be able to recognize what role my team members would be able to flourish in. Not everyone can do everything and in this particular situation, I know that my team can do the jobs I give to them. Plus, I was watching my team the entire time. None of their actions could be described as reckless."

Maybe this wasn't going to be completely bad. I continued to put forth a confident face, knowing that this really was my time to shine. Sure, I may not be the most powerful member ofthe team physically or in terms of powers. However, this was something I felt like I could do that the others may struggle with. I heard Professor Shad talking to the team, and while he did sound super cringy, I had other priorities.

"Finally, Mr. Bugman, I encourage you to look at the scene. Most of the damage had been done to the cars, which were already being chewed down on by the oil monster by the time we arrived. There has been no damage to the surrounding buildings nor have any innocent people been injured during the crisis. We, The Prestige, as Millenial Defenders, work hard to defend our city from any threats we encounter. Due to the large stature of the monster in question, it was hard to completely avoid any damage. However, I believe our team did a good job in containing the damage to a manageable level. I speak for my team when I say this Mr. Bugman, but being superheroes is not a game to us. It is a responsibility that we take very seriously and I have full confidence in our abilites to protect the innocent and represent the Alliance Initiative well."

I tried hard not to smirk completely, but I couldn't hide a little hint in self-confidence that I had with that answer. I looked at Bugman and gave him a nice, friendly smile before turning to the rest of the press.

"Now, are there any other questions?"

<jimmydalad> Rolling to comfort Opal so that she doesn't blow up due to Bugman
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 8+3 = 11

I'm going to add a Team to the pool.

<jimmydalad> now going to provoke Bugman to look foolish in front of everyone and ruin his credibility
<jimmydalad> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 5+1 = 6

Since we have 2 Team in the pool, Opal or Voidblade can pump it up to a 7 if they want to.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Opal

Wow, this is not like that magazine interview I did. That was nice and chill and clam...and this is not! Mayhem abounds! All these questions and that guy...I know the voice. His face looks like you'd expect with a voice like that. Which isn't always true, but it is here.

I flip my hair and put on a smile, despite that guy's screaming. Uch, makes my skin crawl. My right arm flails and jerks, my desire to hit him restrained by the physical damage.

"I got damaged in the fight, stopping that monster," I answer. "Don't worry, they can fix me right up." I try not to sound too concerned. I don't ant people thinking I'm dying out here. Then again, I give my arm a jerk for emphasis, to remind people that I really did put it on the line for them.

"No," I say with a faint laugh, trying to contain annoyance. "I'm not a robot, I'm a cyborg! I'm..."

Elementa swoops in and dubs me....Robot Grrl.

We are gonna have words later! But I smile broadly and give applause, my good hand against the janky one, smiling.

Oh dear lord does she go on!

But I shift my weight, trying to look rapt in attention and interested and interesting for the camera. I ponder my costume. This is just a simple black leotard I had from dance classes. It's not very distinctive...maybe Sara can help me whip something up?

I'm pondering costumes when Elementa gets to the 'more questions' bit. I put my smile back on and move closer to her and whisper, "Good job!" to her.

This is turning out great, we're going to get so much good press.

Taking the Potential, adding one to the team

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Once the blizzard's good and dispelled I am completely happy to depart with Om and Quill. Let's leave the press to the talkative types, us three glorious weirdos can head to the HQ with our captured Crap Mages in tow. I've never been one for talking to the media - if you're doing your job as a Mage, the unawakened public doesn't learn about the catastrophes you're averting - and I'm kinda of still not in the best mood. Taking a moment to fish a cigarette (gently caress I only have three left) out of the pack I keep in the left breast pocket of my coat, I snap my fingers and produce a flame for myself real quick. Smoke fills my lungs, and for about seven glorious seconds I hold it in, and then exhale. Oh yeah, that's helping.

Quill helps more though. It's bizarre, because as the three of us walk off far enough for me to safely create a portal for us to the HQ, the blonde angel makes sure to catch my eye, and then speaks what's on her mind - and I'm actually too stunned by what she says to properly respond to her at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure my mouth actually drops at one point... and my cheeks definitely go read for a brief moment, ditto a small smile, towards the crescendo of her speech, despite the mood I'm in. I mean, she literally goes on and on about how I'm a badass and how well I just did and how she trusts me and how my magic's awesome, and it all seems so incredibly genuine. It's, uhhh... exactly what I need right now I think. She's wrong about most of it, but it's still nice to hear.

Oh yeah it's definitely genuine to Daeva. Take Influence over her.

I have the whole trip to the HQ to figure out why Quill said what she did all of a sudden - and why she ran off just as suddenly. Obviously she means it, but there HAS to be more to it than that... or maybe I'm just paranoid? Whatever the case, as we traipse through the HQ like we own the place, depositing these two Trash Mages in holding cell's, I'm debating differently possibilities, watching her carefully out of the corner of my eye, and definitely observing while she starts to question the one mage. Let's take some prodigious mental notes here, light up another cigarette (listen I don't have to care, Ahriman's a lot bigger threat than lung cancer), and watch both him and her quite carefully... but mostly her. Something about a thread? A sympathetic connection maybe? That gives me an idea...

<Rauri> Pierce Quill's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9=9
<Rauri> forgot influence bonus, that's a 10~
Picking What do you want me to do? What do you intend to do? How could I get your character to help Daeva with a sketchy Magickal Ritual in her Sanctum to scry more about whoever is behind the Guttermages?

---------------

Eventually arriving back at our actual base - why indeed I can teleport us everywhere, isn't it convenient and cool, thanks Ahriman you bastard - Om, Quill, and I should totally have the run of the place for a bit... except we don't, since there's a tiny girl freaking out and full on about to panic attack all over the place. I've got a lot to think about already, and to be perfectly honest, I don't care about her problems all that much. gently caress knows I have enough of my own, and to be frank she should put things in perspective. "Sorry, guess you should shame Opal into helping you unpack all that stuff." Ahriman knows I can't be bothered to do it.

"Oh hey Om and Quill!" Om's heading away while Quill's nearby, so I guess I'm shouting mostly for my telepathic friend's sake - he's been through enough today already for me to tax his powers more by trying to think it at him. "Pool in one hour, no excuses." I mean that too, since we they deserve to celebrate the win. No one can deny we're a real team, even if the names everyone seems to like for us suck rear end, and that we legitimately helped people today.

Adjusting a few unruly strands of hair back into place and then rolling up the sleeves on my coat, I'm close to just heading to my room alone when I think better of it, and turn towards my Angelic teammate. You get good at reading people in my line of work, and I think I've got a better handle on her than I used to - and I'm cynically putting that to good use. "Hey Quill... I could use your help with something in my room, if you want to come along with me."

• Locked thread