Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Ford plans on having completely self driving cars on the road in 5 years.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/08/ford-to-mass-produce-a-completely-self-driving-car-within-five-years/

"Oh boo hoo, technology is moving too fast for my fragile mind to comprehend this." - The bitchmade punks in those Tesla threads...

Eat a dick, i hope one of these mistakes your body for a clear road and runs you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I think i'll probably still drive manually.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you seem awful mad about what kind of car people like op

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
lol if you dont drive an 80s beater pickup

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's gonna make it a lot easier for chicks to suck my dick.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

That's gonna make it a lot easier for chicks to suck my dick.

Seriously, I drive a manual which makes it very difficult... this change is welcome.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
never gonna happen beyond just holding a lane in a highway situation

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

you seem awful mad about what kind of car people like op

i'm not mad, i'm glad

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
OP needs to take a chill pill IMHO

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Elon Musk wants to make the self driving cars be able to act as an Uber Service while you're at work so the car can earn you extra money. He's going to single handedly destroy a poor people industry by handing it to anyone who can afford a self driving car. LOL

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
A whole lotta mad about this subject dude. Chill.

PS - no self driving cars for me, thanks. I'll take the aforementioned beater 80's pickup.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

"Found On Road Decapitated" - teh drivers of this >_M

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i think self driving cars could be good for most of these brain dead idiots who can't respond properly to visual cues and have bad judgment calls on the road

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
oh now i get why people are upset at OP

lmbo

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dubplate Fire posted:

Seriously, I drive a manual which makes it very difficult... this change is welcome.

I know jeez it's like, you're getting head, switching lanes, popping the clutch, sipping your juice box, changing the radio station, adjusting the wiper speed, ashing a cigarette, texting your mom, and then it's like her stupid face is in front of the A/C knob and it's a little chilly on your balls. :smith:

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
i thought it was hilarious how that one really long-winded guy who literally can't let anybody else get the last word made the thread called 'post here every time a self-driving car kills someone' after one person died and then he wouldn't stop posting his 'hilarious jabs' about edge cases, but don't get mad about it

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

as i get older i start to wonder how many of my old schoolteachers lie 'neath the ground :shrug:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the only thing i want a self driving car for is inching forwards in stationary traffic

p much everything else is either fun (bendy country roads) or filled with unpredictable morons (motorways)

i just dont trust them to recognise the telltale signs that someone in front of you is a dipshit who you should avoid

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

John Denver Hoxha posted:

i thought it was hilarious how that one really long-winded guy who literally can't let anybody else get the last word made the thread called 'post here every time a self-driving car kills someone' after one person died and then he wouldn't stop posting his 'hilarious jabs' about edge cases, but don't get mad about it

i'm not actually mad though

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Self-driving cars will come with a CIA backdoor to have any wrong thinkers disappeared through freak accidents :twisted:

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I know jeez it's like, you're getting head, switching lanes, popping the clutch, sipping your juice box, changing the radio station, adjusting the wiper speed, ashing a cigarette, texting your mom, and then it's like her stupid face is in front of the A/C knob and it's a little chilly on your balls. :smith:

youre pretty much stuck in gear on the highway and if you have to change lanes or something you gotta reach underneath and pop the clutch risking damage to the penis

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

RedMage129 posted:

Elon Musk wants to make the self driving cars be able to act as an Uber Service while you're at work so the car can earn you extra money. He's going to single handedly destroy a poor people industry by handing it to anyone who can afford a self driving car. LOL
i can finally stop hiding that im pissing on the floor in the back seat

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The_Cack posted:

Self-driving cars will come with a CIA backdoor to have any wrong thinkers disappeared through freak accidents :twisted:

yeah and if you have a criminal record itll drive you to jail. good luck robbing a bank with one of these gay cars. sounds pretty retarded imo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But how can it make a moral choice between killing two handsome executives or three dirty poors?

Obviously as a human I am equipped to do this in the half second between losing control and ploughing into a building.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
100% chance self driving cars will be remote controlled by cops, they'll pull you over, trigger the airbags to knock you out a bit and shoot you in the head. The future

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

100% chance self driving cars will be remote controlled by cops, they'll pull you over, trigger the airbags to knock you out a bit and shoot you in the head. The future

Yeah, they can do this already.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

i think self driving cars could be good for most of these brain dead idiots who can't respond properly to visual cues and have bad judgment calls on the road

they'll be perfect for u then

John Denver Hoxha posted:

yeah he was good and funny, bitch :twisted:

The_Cack posted:

I bet hilldog and musk are gonna have a cozy relationship

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

This is Ford btw, Elon Musk has nothing to do with this

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

But how can it make a moral choice between killing two handsome executives or three dirty poors?

who cares

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

they'll be perfect for u then

wowza i sure walked into that one! :v:

No seriously, even I know what an accelerating and decelerating lane is, so gently caress the guy going 30 in an accelerating lane while everyone is going 70 on the highway and im trying to merge but the far right lane is zooming by like a bullet

im glad for self driving cars because it will reduce emissions, blah blah blah. Even most predictions say about 20-30 years people won't even own a car since everyone's just gonna hop into a self driving car service like uber. The impact on traffic congestion will be significant as there will be way less of it

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

if self-driving cars are explicitly designed to murder people who get blase about moral and ethical quandaries I will reverse my position on them

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Obviously as a human I am equipped to do this in the half second between losing control and ploughing into a building.
i like the idea of a self-driving car that barrels down the road at full speed trying to swerve around obstacles while its internal thought process is "poo poo! gently caress! goddamn obstacles are coming out of the woodwork but were gettin there in 1.3 miles! hold the gently caress on im gonna pre-release the panels on the airbags!"

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
insurance companies are gonna make it so none of the self-driving cars can go faster than 30mph and they will all have to stay 500 feet away from each other

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think they should just make a really big self driving car, and put it on a track. That way when a bunch of people want to go to the same spot they can just get on a... Well im gonna call it a "train". :airquote:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed uber -> rube

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
us in 5 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrxyr1CjiSM

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
look at Tommy Cruise freak out about being claustrophobic in a smart car

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do they really think we'll have cars that will drive themselves 100% of the time, or just stay in their lane on the highway ?

I don't want to be the guy trying to think of all the edge cases.

e: a car that would quietly gently caress off when you're parked like an rear end in a top hat and cops starts writing tickets would be cool, but I guess the self-driving future will have the car snitch on you

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 16, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
It's actually way more hosed up to wish death on the real ppl you interact w/ over a computer than it is to wish death on the abstract idea of a self driving car, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I ride a bike :smugdog:

• Locked thread