Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

im gallardo

JossiRossi posted:

I'll admit I didn't scan everything in the thread, but has anyone noticed that the loading screen map is pretty off? It starts in California but ends in the South East of the states, like in Georgia. Not New York. It is driving me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Inco posted:

The Nissan Skyline is a Japanese car, so everyone should be pronouncing it "Skyrine"

I also deserved that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I ran the route through Google Maps and it looks pretty faithful, just a bit...exaggerated.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Also, spoilers. I guess. If you count the fact that Jack Rourque goes on to race in loving DENVER a spoiler.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Great Joe posted:

I ran the route through Google Maps and it looks pretty faithful, just a bit...exaggerated.

There's a faint grid near where the route exists on the loading screen, which I guess is supposed to imply it is not actually following the map that is directly under it. It's appears rather lazy. Like they wanted a stylized curved image of the US, but did not want to think too hard about how to get the level progression lines to look.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Great Joe posted:

Also, spoilers. I guess. If you count the fact that Jack Rourque goes on to race in loving DENVER a spoiler.

I-70 AND INDEPENDENCE PASS ARE LIKE SOME OF THE BEST PARTS OF THE RUN OKAY

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tofu Survivor posted:

I-70 AND INDEPENDENCE PASS ARE LIKE SOME OF THE BEST PARTS OF THE RUN OKAY

wait what

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I might be wrong about which highway it is, but Independence Pass is def a road you pass through. There's a huge downhill race and avalanches and poo poo.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Is that the Stage 5 that Bible Corn was stuck on?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Is that the Stage 5 that Bible Corn was stuck on?

No, the LP hasn't gotten there yet (unless he already recorded it and he mentioned it in a video? I didn't hear it if he did). It's the Rocky Mountains portion of the run.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Jack is my favorite car hero.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Moment in Driver San Francisco: Tanner experiences heart palpitations that cause his coma dream to become less vivid and lived-in. He chases after his idea of getting back on his feet - the ambulance that drove him to a hospital - and doing so successfully improves his heart rate. This is when Tanner first starts accepting that the world he's in isn't real.

Moment in Need for Speed: The Run: Jack oggles two butts while refueling and that almost loses him the race. He then beats the butts to a finish line while a punk song plays. This is when Sam reminds him that he should do that thing he's already doing.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 7, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
we tried to record a fun ending to commemorate not finishing the lp properly but it just ended up terrible. so instead please imagine tanner waking up at the end of san francisco and it was all a terrible dream

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

JossiRossi posted:

There's a faint grid near where the route exists on the loading screen, which I guess is supposed to imply it is not actually following the map that is directly under it. It's appears rather lazy. Like they wanted a stylized curved image of the US, but did not want to think too hard about how to get the level progression lines to look.

You're looking at it wrong. Or more accurately the game is dumb.

The map is part of the background. It has no relation to the route which is part of a different map that doesn't include any actual boundaries. Occasionally they include the real map but for whatever reason the US map in the background isn't part of the route map.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so joe was like hey you wanna be in a dirt rally video and i was like hey alright thats cool but it was a LIE

:siren:NEED FOR SPEED PART 5:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zam4W8NYjcY

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 16, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

i promise im not a cop

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

"All these cars are pretty much designed for tarmac."

oh my god what are you guys on about holy poo poo

The Impreza STi, Lancer Evo and the Audi Quattro are all incredibly well adapted for adverse weather conditions. They've all got rally pedigree. Though the GTR wasn't the worst choice, I guess. Its ATTESSA system would probably help a lot on a snowy road but it's pretty low to the ground so realistically you probably don't want to be driving it in the snow. Winter driving a $100,000 car probably isn't the best decision at any rate, so. Yeah.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i literally no longer remember what cars you get to pick from in stage 5. maybe they are all wonderful for winter driving! all i know is the stage itself is a huge pain and not fun

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 16, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Here's the complete list of cars I had the option to pick:

Aston Martin V12 Vantage (stealthy track car)
BMW M3 GTS (no idea bout the year or w/e, but there's two of these) (also lol FR in a post-quattro world)
Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (i guess these were alright at rallyx...in the '70s)
Lamborghini Gallardo (lol no)
Nissan Fairlady 240Z (weren't these made for the wangan coastline highway and nothing else?)
Nissan 370Z (hahahahahahaha)
Nissan GT-R (almost ok i guess but i'd prefer the skyline r34)
Porsche 911 GT2 (RR = NO)
Porsche 911 GT3RS (see above)
Ford Mustang Shelby Nation GT500 Super Snake (p. sure this thing doesn't turn, at all)

But please keep telling me I'm dumb about cars.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 16, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

In some other universe, there's a much better game revolving around team driving with Cesar DeLeon and his brothers as the protagonists as they fight against noted rear end in a top hat Jack O'Rourke in order to secure a better future for their families.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

In some other universe, Bible Corn and I decide that continuing this LP is actually a good idea. In that universe this game wasn't published by a big name company, said not-big name company put money into the parts of the game that come after this, and didn't support that decision with market research which shows that people don't finish games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheMcD posted:

In some other universe, there's a much better game revolving around team driving with Cesar DeLeon and his brothers as the protagonists as they fight against noted rear end in a top hat Jack O'Rourke in order to secure a better future for their families.

I'm confused.

Caesar was one of the leads in Need For Speed 2: Tailgate Tendency.

This is Need for Speed 8: Steel Ball The Run. The DeLeon should be Gyro.

Does this game stray from Need For Speed canon?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Ay the only reason I said what I did was cause I couldn't see which cars you could select from. With the proper context (I.E., the car list you just gave) then what you said makes absolute sense. I've got all the cars unlocked and it's been so long that I can't remember when/what the criteria are that unlock them. By this stage I was allowed to choose the WRX, the Evo and the Quattro so the decision was pretty much a no brainer. On one point we agree that the GTR is the best choice out of your available selection. However,

Great Joe posted:

(almost ok i guess but i'd prefer the skyline r34)

I can never agree with anyone on that. Get that junk out of here. R32 > all. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm confused.

Caesar was one of the leads in Need For Speed 2: Tailgate Tendency.

This is Need for Speed 8: Steel Ball The Run. The DeLeon should be Gyro.

Does this game stray from Need For Speed canon?

ah yes

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The thing that bugged me the most about this NFS game is that it doesn't feel like you're in control of the driving at all. It feels like MegaRace. The world is rolling by and you just slide side to side for the most part.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I love this lp.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Playing The Crew and driving through the snowy parts of that game's map and watching the latest video made me realize most racing game developers are like the average American driver, they are apparently not aware that winter tyres are a thing and think that people enjoy sliding everywhere while driving.
I should add I do not and would honestly pay for a Winter Tyre DLC for that game so it would stop because it gets very very frustrating fast.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Honestly, the driving model in this game isn't that bad. It's not good but it's way better than the flaming shitheap they give you in The Crew. The game on the whole is just so aggressively bland, filled with ideas that could be fleshed out or executed better, but instead we just got an incredible amount of filler.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

instead we just got an incredible amount of filler.

And also an rear end car roster that seems to be mostly alternate skins for cars. For example, I think there's like 3-4 different 240Zs, 370Zs and Mustangs. Granted there's some different model/years with the Mustangs but it wouldn't have killed them to include a wider selection of cars from the manufacturers present in the game. I guess they just really cheaped out on the licensing for this title.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tofu Survivor posted:

I guess they just really cheaped out on the licensing for this title.

Yeah pretty much. There is a heavy bias for Ford vehicles considering the amount of different Mustang Models there are available to you and just slightly odd choices overall otherwise. I kind of prefer European cars more and I feel kind of pigeon-holed at times with what I can and can't use for each specialization.
I mean it works well as a time spender driving game but otherwise it is aggressively bland with a terrible story and insufferable main character.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Really, what they should have done is made this a period piece set in the late '60s, with Jack starting out in a ratted-out Beetle.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I kind of prefer European cars more and I feel kind of pigeon-holed at times with what I can and can't use for each specialization.

I'm not a huge Euro car person but there are a few I like. The E46 is probably my favorite BMW so it kind of bothered me that my options were limited to like 3 E30s, 4 E92s and a Z4. I have to say I'm pretty irritated with how hard NFS has been pushing the E92 since this game. Especially after they made a huge point of putting the M3 GTR in the center spotlight for Most Wanted and Carbon.

Seriously look at this roster. It's mostly duplicates and alternates.

Great Joe posted:

set in the late '60s, with Jack starting out in a ratted-out Beetle

:getin:

gently caress I'd play the poo poo out of that.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 23, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i want jack rourke to drive a mastretta

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I want NFS: Lada Racing Club.

Wait, there's Need for Russia... 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIkT0FXnRbk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Let's Play 10 Years of Gamersgate Racing Games.

• Locked thread