Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kaedric posted:

Jeremy Thatcher, dragon hatcher?

poo poo, I think that was it. I should re-read that poo poo, that dragon was rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Couple horror books I remember reading when I was little, not Goosebumps or anything

One of them had a house that was haunted or otherwise spooky for some reason, and one of the key revelations was when the protagonist was in the attic and realized it didn't have a window despite there being an attic window visible from outside the house so there must be a second secret extra scary attic. Maybe this second attic had a ghost or a corpse or something I forget

The other one I remember that I think is from the same series had a guy/ghost that the protagonist saw through a sliding glass window, he lifted his hat or turned towards him or something to reveal empty eye sockets while moaning THEY TOOK MY EEEEYYYYYEEEEESSSSSS

I thought of these books while watching Stranger Things because I (mis?)remember the title font being the same

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

I couldn't even tell you the central plot but I vividly remember my teacher reading a book where one of the B plots was this store owner having a piece of rope outside his shop that was all knotted up to the point where it was described as being the size of a basketball or something similar. In the third act (I'm pretty sure after the actual plot is resolved) the main character comes in and its described in pain staking detail the process of undoing this knot. There may have also been a pig in the book at some point but I'm not really confident on that.

I often wonder about the significance of the knot. Was it just a wacky element in a lighthearted kid's book or was it perhaps a deeper metaphor about the futility o man's desire to accomplish something great in life?

Maniac Magee. The store was a pizza shop IIRC and he won a lifetime supply of pizza, which he donated to poor kids to get them to go to school or something???

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

The last about a school where the plans where wrong and instead of being built on the ground it ended being built straight up like a skyscraper.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School I believe

I remember ordering a bunch of novels from Paul Zindel through our school book fair program. He was most well known for writing The Pigman and Effects of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigold- neither of which are horror stories- but apparently he felt like there weren't enough horror novels for young adults with graphic detail.

He wrote one about the loch ness monster eating people, another about freakish cannibal humanoids living under Stonehenge, and another about huge voracious sea creatures taking over a normally peace stretch of water and brutally killing people. I remember one line in particular in the sea creatures one where a guy watches his bottom half fall into the ocean with his lower intestine trailing out of it.

Basically fuckin' :awesome:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I could have sworn that Interstellar Pig went under a different name, because I strongly remember some kind of Z word being associated with it (only in the book itself?). I mostly remember the back cover showing a kind of unfinished tabletop game with the little glowing pig piece sitting there.

And that's got to be like the 4th Maniac Magee reference. Screw that kid, I wanna know more about old schlubs bringing down the antichrist while teaming up with blow job giving monkeys :argh:

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Applewhite posted:

A girl who flies into space in a ship with no canopy because it turns out there's air in space but nobody bothered to check. I wanna say it's"Akimbo" but that returns no results.

Hahahaha awesome

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Gabriel Pope posted:

Maniac Magee. The store was a pizza shop IIRC and he won a lifetime supply of pizza, which he donated to poor kids to get them to go to school or something???

That name sounds right and the plot about the kid being a drifter lines up so I'm pretty sure this is it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

The White Mountains blew my mind when I was a kid and the sequels, City of Gold and Lead and The Pool of Fire also blew my mind.

If Hollywood wants the real "Next Hunger Games" they'll stop wasting their time with this "Divergent" crap and make the Tripods trilogy into the next big budget blockbuster.

The face of Hollywood's next blockbuster YA adaptation:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Ohhhh man I remember reading this now, he ended up donating it because it was the first time in his life he was able to eat pizza since he was poor and it turned out he was allergic

maniac maniac he's so cool
maniac maniac don't go to school
runs all night
runs all night
maniac maniac kissed a mule

also "fishbelly" as a terrible slur against whites

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Wicker Man posted:

One where the cafeteria of a middle school are run by some kind of evolved monster bug people that served deliciously addicting food made from bugs. I think they killed it with mustard of all things.
This is very familiar. I want to say it was one of the 'Animorph' books?

Gabriel Pope posted:

Also remember reading a contemporary book where a magical peddler shows up in some small quaint New England town hawking some sort of special polish, and the secret is that whatever you shine with it becomes an animated object and starts attacking people. This really broke my suspension of disbelief because it was like the 80s and who the gently caress was buying miracle ointment from traveling patent doctors in the loving 80s? The climax involved a fight with an animated giant buzzsaw blade because the village idiot had shined up the saw in the local lumber mill. It was defeated by the powers of HOMEMADE LYE SOAP, which again, this is the loving 80s, nobody was making homemade soap while watching Alf. I suspect whoever wrote this book was about 90.
I believe that's Stephen King's 'The Shining'. The small, New England town setting is a dead giveaway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

That name sounds right and the plot about the kid being a drifter lines up so I'm pretty sure this is it.

I looked it up a few years ago and apparently racism was a major part of the plot, but all I remembered was the pizza and baseball parts. 8-year-old Gabe had his priorities straight.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

ConstantDelays posted:

Nah. I might have gave the wrong impression about "evolved bug monsters." I think it was just one, cartoonishly evil bug monster that disguises itself as a cafeteria lady. There are quite a few pages going into detail about the other kids and school staff scarfing down french fries made out of grasshoppers or something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ConstantDelays posted:

I believe that's Stephen King's 'The Shining'. The small, New England town setting is a dead giveaway.

It was about inanimate objects coming to life and attacking people in New England, but Stephen King idolizes the 50s-70s, which is still too late for whatever weird period boner this book had. Maybe it was written by Stephen King's dad and that's where he got it from??? idk

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Gabriel Pope posted:

I looked it up a few years ago and apparently racism was a major part of the plot, but all I remembered was the pizza and baseball parts. 8-year-old Gabe had his priorities straight.

For years the only thing I knew about it was the knot. Apparently all the racism and homelessness poo poo flew right over my head.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I remember a book with a guy who received radio transmissions on his tooth, and an evil alien that died from eating too many red pepper flakes.

I remember a book about mitochondria being angels or something and the sun was dying and something something old testament.

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Wicker Man posted:

Nah. I might have gave the wrong impression about "evolved bug monsters." I think it was just one, cartoonishly evil bug monster that disguises itself as a cafeteria lady. There are quite a few pages going into detail about the other kids and school staff scarfing down french fries made out of grasshoppers or something.
That's exactly how I remember it. I'm sure it's from some fairly mainstream series like Goosebumps or Animorphs or something.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Applewhite posted:

A horror anthology about "true stories of evil nature" and one of the stories was about a lady who fell down in her garden and vines grew around her neck and she was strangled to death.

In the same book there was a story about a guy who had "angered the winds" and got kidnapped by tornadoes.

The label "true stories" can pretty much be discounted as spin when it comes to horror stories.

The second short story you mention is possibly 'The Wind" in Ray Bradbury's own collection, "The October Country":
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/b/bradburys-short-stories/summary-and-analysis-the-october-country/the-wind

Your other story might appear in the same book, though Bradbury's stories have been included in hundreds of general horror anthologies.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twelve Batmans posted:

Sideways Stories from Wayside School I believe

wayside school is some next level poo poo. some of the stories were wild, i mean loving wild

a story about a new kid who smells really bad and they force him to take his jacket off and he's just a matryoshka doll of jackets and the jacket dude is screaming as all the kids are tearing his clothes off and at the center is just a dead rat the teacher is like 'ok gross' and throws it out the window. end chapter

kid stumbles into room 27 1/2 never having heard of it before or seeing it despite being next to his class and i don't remember what happens but its basically the set up from Being John Malcovich. except im pretty sure it predates that movie by a while. or im mixing that movie up with the book. idk.

there was also a story about some kid who kept trying to pull the pigtails of the girl in front of him and they turn into snakes when he grabs them.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

Juvenile science fiction novel, 1970's or before. A boy makes a loving wooden crate or similar into a spaceship and flies into space (maybe to the moon or another planet, I forget).

I guess I should have googled it before- asking here. Turns out this book was James Blish's Welcome to Mars!

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I remember reading some sci-fi book where there are a bunch of sentient ball robot sphere things that float around and I think they are like the rulers of humans now or something. Then some kid maybe befriends one and some stuff happens but I don't remember. I recall reading it a couple times and really liked it but have never been able to figure out what the title was.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BigBadSteve posted:

The label "true stories" can pretty much be discounted as spin when it comes to horror stories.

The second short story you mention is possibly 'The Wind" in Ray Bradbury's own collection, "The October Country":
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/b/bradburys-short-stories/summary-and-analysis-the-october-country/the-wind

Your other story might appear in the same book, though Bradbury's stories have been included in hundreds of general horror anthologies.

The second short story was definitely Bradbury's"the Wind." I remember the Himalayas thing and the valley of the wind.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The wayside story where Mrs. Gorf's son with the third nostril stole all the children's voices and called their parents and told them in their kids' voices that they didn't love them any more really scared me as a kid and ever since I have made it a point to regularly remind my loved ones that I love them no matter what.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
something about a witch and a little boy who tags along with her.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

theres a few pages out of a nat geo space book circa 1980 or somethin that are like this. a teacher had it i think idk i def read it

just clearin out some jovian fart rats, brb

I remember that one Titan had floating helium filled jellyfish like creatures

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

- A kid and his family look for the lake monster in Lake Champlain. I don't remember much else but the title was like 'Loch' or something and I remember feeling ripped off because it had nothing to do with Nessie.

- Some 50s sci-fi novel about a prison rebellion on Alpha Centauri.

- Something called 'Space Cadets' that was a series about cadets in a space academy getting into "wacky" space hi-jinks.

- A guide about wrestling alligators. For kids.

- A novel about some kinda cross-country road trip for fried chicken.

- One with about a bunch of woodland creatures and their forest community. I think at one point there was a flood? (No it wasn't Redwall). I mostly remember it as the first time I faked reading a book for a book report.

- A CYOA where you're a fighter pilot for the Space Navy and most of the options ended with you getting exploded.

I also read 'The Man With the Golden Gun' for a report in 6th grade and read the scene with the oiled up chick dancing on giant hand statue like ten times. Also that year I read 'Red Mars' and had to read the dirt orgy scene like twenty times because my sixth grader brain could unpack what the gently caress was even happening but it totally says erection so I guess it's hot? Then I did my last book report that year on 'The Great Train Robbery' and was really grossed out by the scene where a dude fucks a 12 year old hooker and the robbers make a copy of his key or something? I dunno, I just remember skipping to the next chapter.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

ConstantDelays posted:

not enough allusions to cocaine use

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

1500quidporsche posted:

For years the only thing I knew about it was the knot. Apparently all the racism and homelessness poo poo flew right over my head.

(Dripping ink)

FISH BELLY GO HOME

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

ConstantDelays posted:

That's exactly how I remember it. I'm sure it's from some fairly mainstream series like Goosebumps or Animorphs or something.

Now I'm starting to wonder. It might have been part of some smaller series, but I keep thinking it was just one of those one off books.

My parents got me a couple of these. Even back then it wasn't lost on me that they might be trying to say something :raise:

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 17, 2016

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
This is probably the best children's book I've read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brothers_Lionheart

It's dark as gently caress, especially considering the target audience. Hell, maybe that's part of what makes it so compelling.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Oh, here's one that's been bugging me for a while:

It's a picture book. The kind that's really big where every page is a full page picture.

This kid is friends with an eccentric inventor who builds robots. The kid goes to visit the inventor but accidentally falls into the head of the inventor's latest giant robot and activates it.

It goes on a clumsy rampage through the city and I don't remember how they stop it, but the inventor's robots all fix the city up in a few hours and later the giant robot turns out to be the baton twirler in a robot parade.

Drives me nuts that I can't find this book. Iirc the art was very good and the robot designs were super cool.

This one was Mega Man 9

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Something something about a black kid named "Mars Bar" because he always ate Mars bars and then a white kid took a bite of Mars Bar's Mars Bar and all the other kids were like "woah!"

Also contained my first encounter with the anti Jewish Slur "kike"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Something something about a black kid named "Mars Bar" because he always ate Mars bars and then a white kid took a bite of Mars Bar's Mars Bar and all the other kids were like "woah!"

Also contained my first encounter with the anti Jewish Slur "kike"

Also Maniac Magee (every unidentified book in this thread is actually Maniac Magee)

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Gabriel Pope posted:

Also Maniac Magee (every unidentified book in this thread is actually Maniac Magee)

New thread title.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

nigga crab pollock posted:

there was also a story about some kid who kept trying to pull the pigtails of the girl in front of him and they turn into snakes when he grabs them.
that was because of an evil hypnotist named mr. pickle who hypnotizes people with a pickle and became the school guidance council.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Speaking of animorphs and pickles, I remember a really corny (joke within a joke, within a joke) book about teenagers that somehow gained the power to turn into vegetables and become super healthy or something from it. And all their friends were getting turned into zombies by some kind of evil bacteria or something. Maybe alien spores?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Prettz posted:

The first book I read was based on the NES game Wizards and Warriors, except a kid from today (the 80s) gets transported to that world and accompanies the hero. I can't imagine how awful it must have been, but I read the whole thing.

Hah I read that. He's transported there by a little statue in his dad's attic. He slays all kind of poo poo with kuros and then at the end...it turns out his dad did it when he was a kid too :eyepop:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh you guys were thinking of one of the Fear Street books. earlier. one of you

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogge Wild posted:

do they live in their aunt's attic

maybe... i don't think so really. but maybe. why?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I remember this one book I really enjoyed about English/Dutch settlers going to Spanish conquistador occupied Florida and this adolescent sailor watches his entire crew get killed by the Spaniards then has to avoid the conquistadors in the Florida swamps and everglades. Along the way he becomes friends with an escaped slave child who takes him to a native village and eats venison where he plots revenge against the conquistadors.

I think. It was kickass but I never finished it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

blk96gt posted:

I remember reading some sci-fi book where there are a bunch of sentient ball robot sphere things that float around and I think they are like the rulers of humans now or something. Then some kid maybe befriends one and some stuff happens but I don't remember. I recall reading it a couple times and really liked it but have never been able to figure out what the title was.

Journey to Terezor, I think.
I remember it had an interesting setting where aliens abduct entire towns and take them into trumen show domes on another planet.
The aliens are all dead and the Orbs rule in their place, and also they reprogram an orb to be on their side.
Also there's a plant that will turn you into any alien depending on what dirt is on its roots... that part was dumb

hemroid xfoli8r posted:

An anthology that wasn't outright terrifying but still invoked a sense of unease, containing the following stories:

- an evil Christmas tree that falls down when nobody is looking at it, smashing a piano and then killing the boy's goldfish

- a boy discovers an abyss in his basement, his dad starts to build a brick wall around it to seal it off but looks in and somehow gets sucked or falls in. The boy picks up where his dad left off and finishes sealing the abyss

- a girl happens across a boy sitting on a tree stump reading Catcher in the Rye. Nothing happens to her but the implication is that the boy is actually some kind of advanced predatory plant mimicking a form attractive to her like a Venus flytrap\pitcher plant

- a kid who has a talent for painting beautiful paintings more vibrant than life is visited by two people to convince his parents to send him to some kind of gifted school. The kid is strongly implied to be autistic. In the end before they can convince him, the kid enters the painting and lives there forever? The narrator mentions that the kid is probably happier there.

- a boy discovers his old neighbor digging a hole in his backyard at night. At some point the neighbor collapses into the hole. The boy picks up the shovel and buries him.

Man would I love to read those again.

I believe those were from the anthology books of Paul Jennings. He created a tv show called "Round the Twist" that I did not watch.

• Locked thread