Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Mirage posted:

If anyone's on the fence because of the song title thing, I just took a look at this complete list of Police songs and honestly there aren't that many that you couldn't build an RPG around with a little thinking.

... Except maybe "Behind My Camel."

Man, there's some QUALITY on that list. There's several that, forget the contest, I want to make just because.

I really hope someone gets 'The Madman running through the Fields' and makes a B-list slasher flick game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Too Many Cooks Spoil the Police: Games To Play

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Helical Nightmares posted:

drat fine idea. Could be a competitive board game.

I think I was channeling Drama System, but yeah, it would probably make a much better competitive board game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the Kingdom of heaven"

Behind my camel is the story of terrible, terribly rich people after the rapture. God has called the faithful into heaven, but in the months since more people have been seen ascending after committing great deeds. Take your affluenza-suffering human wastrel - designed by the other players - on a quest for redemption and escape from an increasingly hellish landscape of demon-possessed children, confused and depressed fundamentalists, militant atheists who continue to deny religion even as demons break down their doors, and more. Thread the needle and enter heaven, you have nothing to lose but your pathetic excuse for a soul.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
gently caress it, I'm in.

1) Don't you hate how an encounter can sometime end up too hard or piss easy? With our new revolutionary "Degree of Difficulty" dial you can worry no more! With an adjustment of HEAT (Hostile Encounters And Traps), any situation can become easier or harder depending on what your party needs. Now you can crank up the heat and make those goblins start throwing grenades at your wizard or turn it down when the thief keeps breaking lock picks as the guard is closing in. As Master Chef, you are the one in control. :c00l:

2) Backers who pledge at the Deluxe tier will also receive a leather bound cook book allowing them to not only make bomb-rear end meals for their group, but also gives them inspiration for potential encounters. You never know if you're going to need more tyme to untie that rope, or some extra citrus could be what protects you from scurvy out on the open sea.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I would also like to join this boondoggle. No current hype, I'm willing to spin the wheel.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bonus Challenge Zero

1) Instead of using dice, fickle and random and primitive, this game will be powered by a Precognitive Engine. A tried and true fortunetelling machine will not only tell you the results of your character's actions, it also will tell you the results of your actions. And not some ancient piece of superstition, but a prediction device made using modern materials and technology. This game isn't about the future, it is the future.

2) Speaking of the future, back the game at the $500 level and get our special Vest of Victory, designed to hold most of the game components! Don't rely on lugging around a box or pulling books off a shelf! Be ready to play [GAME] at any time! At $1000, get our special Utilikilt of Ultimacy, capable - with the vest - of carrying around every game component in the finest fashion! (It will be the fashion by the time it ships, at least - we have all these Precognitive Engines and they all mostly agree, kinda!) Finally, at $5000 you get the Fez of gently caress Off, Everyone - these will be even cooler than cool, somehow - that will let you know that you are the one true fans of [GAME] and not like all the other cheapskates that don't have a fez, a fez that tells people to gently caress off, especially those $1000 dollar shits. gently caress off, where's your fez? Nowhere.

The fez also doubles as a holder for your Precognitive Engine, whether it's on your head or on the table.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 1, 2016

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think I'm like 8 minutes late. Oh well!

Bonus Challenge Zero

1) "For the last time, Gary, I told you that I read about how melee combat in the middle ages actually works, and it totally means that I get a +7 to using my katana!"

The revolutionary new mechanic of this game system is built in support for pedantic and poorly researched arguments. If you can find a published academic paper that supports your argument against the GM, you automatically win! This is the case even if the paper's results are refuted by dozens of other works, because those are clearly biased!

And that's not all! Delve even further into the minutiae of academia by using statistical wizardry to support your argument (Note: only wizard classes can use statistical wizardry). Choose from various equations and statistical methods that you can apply to your roll to turn it into whatever you want it to be. For example, rolling a 1 on a d20 is easily mitigated by using the power of averages to turn that roll into a 10.5! Create a literal quadratic wizard!

2) Included in the special edition of this game is a burned CD containing the 1997 edition of the SPSS Statistical Software Package, mailed to your address after you send your money to the personal paypal of the project creator. Wow!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
You know, considering this contest is about Monte "Trap options are A-ok" Cooke, I'm surprised nobody submitted Trap pages as part of their challenge 0, wherein if you have to open the rulebook to certain pages bad things happen.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Are you sure you're a first-time game designer because these ideas are gold.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trollhawke posted:

You know, considering this contest is about Monte "Trap options are A-ok" Cooke, I'm surprised nobody submitted Trap pages as part of their challenge 0, wherein if you have to open the rulebook to certain pages bad things happen.

Who's to say that they don't wind up as a primary mechanic in someone else's RPG depending on which Police song they get?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just as long as I don't get Fallout, I'd be too tempted to make my own version of the numerous terrible Fallout PnP games based off the video game series.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kwyndig posted:

numerous terrible Fallout PnP games based off the video game series.

Hey, one of those was mine and it was pretty good. :mad:

For spec work I did in college, but hey, it helped get me my first games industry job.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Just as long as I don't get Fallout, I'd be too tempted to make my own version of the numerous terrible Fallout PnP games based off the video game series.

Somebody just made a Fallout ripoff board game on Kickstarter, so as long as your game looks better than that, I think you'll be fine.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Entries are now officially closed. All entrants up to this point are in, because a Kickstarter-based contest probably needs at least a taste of late fulfillment.

Song assignments and Week 1 challenge details will go up in 6-7 hours or so, once I get home from work and can fire up random.org. Stay tuned!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I have your random song titles: but first, a preamble.

When I initially planned this contest, my plan for the randomization stage was to have each song title only rollable once, to ensure that everyone had a unique set of options and nobody would step on anyone's toes. Tonight, I sat down and did the math, and quickly realized this wasn't going to work. The hype train hit this thread so hard that, with all the Bonus Challenge 0 submissions, I had 85 random song-title picks to fill... and only 69 Police songs with which to do it. Oops?

I decided the simplest option was just to let repeated song title options on the list for those who had the bonus picks, but I'd like every final title selection to be unique. This is how it works:

If you didn't complete Bonus Challenge 0 and thus have one song title, that's your title! Have fun!

If you completed the Bonus Challenge and have three song titles to pick from, please post your pick in this thread. First come, first serve -- once a song title is picked, it's off everyone's lists. (In the unlikely event that someone runs out of titles this way, let me know and I'll generate you a new option.) I'll keep track of what's been picked. I look forward to seeing which one of the two of you who got "Behind My Camel" on your list manages to snag it.

With no further ado: :siren:here is your list of song title picks,:siren: and here is the next phase of the contest.

PART ONE: PROJECT PROPOSAL / OUTLINE

This week's challenge is to write and post a basic proposal and outline for your game. This should probably be at least a page or two long and lay out the basics of your project and what you hope to achieve: the general theme of your game, an overview of the mechanics and structure of play, and maybe some fluff if you have it. A full outline of your proposed final chapters is great if you can manage it.

Simple enough, right? Just start by getting it on paper. Of course, then we have...

BONUS CHALLENGE 1-A: ICONIC FLAIR

Every roleplaying game needs iconic characters, right? The characters that serve as examples to your players of what kind of badasses they can make with the system, if said badasses didn't already exist in the setting, waiting in the wings to steal the PCs' thunder? Yeah, your game needs some. So write some.

For Bonus Challenge 1-A, include capsule descriptions of some (3-5 or so) iconic characters your game will feature. These can be Elminster/Dirk Allen-style movers and shakers in your game world, Regdar/Swan-style insufferable douchebags PC-equivalent example characters, or Raccoon With A Rocket Launcher Checking His Watch/Whoever That Guy On The Cover Of SenZar Is-style characters who appear in two illustrations and one interstitial fiction piece and are never explained. Thrill and/or confuse is with your lore!

BONUS CHALLENGE 1-B: SECRET BLUEBOOKING EXTRAVAGANZA

What would an Invisible-Sun-based contest be without secrecy? To participate in Bonus Challenge 1-B, PM me (or email to amanda dot vanrhyn at g dot austincc dot edu) a few discrete items of ~lore~. These can be a few more iconic characters, a chunk of setting or two, a weird artifact... this can fit with your game, or it could be a weird idea that didn't quite fit but is totally going into the game anyway, screw coherence of final product was good enough to save. Or it can be random garbage, whatever. Just show me your terrible secrets.

The deadline for Part One is September 8th at Midnight-ish Central. Part One is a soft deadline, so entries will still be considered if they're late, but all Part One entries must be complete before the deadline for submission of Part Two. (In other words: you can deliver late, but it has to be "average tradgames Kickstarter"-level late, not "Far West" late.) Have fun, and I look forward to reading your submissions!

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 2, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'll grab On Any Other Day. :getin:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm feeling nostalgic, I'm going with Mother.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

It would appear that my first choice, especially given my zany concept, is the best one. Synchronicity II it shall be. Lyrically, Reggatta de Blanc just doesn't have much for me to work with.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Haha like I'm using any of Challenge 0 stuff. In true Kickstarter style, I am discarding everything I've said about the project halfway through!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I have been graced with the longest and therefore most pretentious best title. I will be taking When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around

Let's see what the critics have to say,
"Ellie O'Day of Vancouver Free Press describes the lyrics as being mostly a "repetitive chant"."

In other words, it's a typical The Police song.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

I'll grab On Any Other Day. :getin:
The fact that someone picked the most endearingly lovely Police song for this has already warmed my heart.

DalaranJ posted:

I have been graced with the longest and therefore most pretentious best title. I will be taking When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around

Let's see what the critics have to say,
"Ellie O'Day of Vancouver Free Press describes the lyrics as being mostly a "repetitive chant"."

In other words, it's a typical The Police song.

Full disclosure: when I was considering running this as a game jam and not a contest, I was totally going to claim that title. I will try not to judge your game against the half-imagined semi-draft I have in my head of what my version would have been, but to be fair, my version is pretty crap, so you don't have a lot to worry about regardless.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'll grab Can't Stand Losing You.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

I'm going to go ahead and choose Too Much Information.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This is a really compelling decision. Do I go for theme or mechanic conveyance? Because... drat it, I have to go with Hungry For You (J'aurais Toujours Faim De Toi).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Full disclosure: when I was considering running this as a game jam and not a contest, I was totally going to claim that title. I will try not to judge your game against the half-imagined semi-draft I have in my head of what my version would have been, but to be fair, my version is pretty crap, so you don't have a lot to worry about regardless.

You don't need to worry about that. Due to the revolutionary mechanics of Synchronicity II and The Zatch Billfold System, When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around is already set to be the most innovative RPG you've ever experienced*.

*As long as the only game you've ever experienced is 3rd ed. D&D, which I feel is a safe assumption on my part. What other RPGs even are there?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'll take Shadows In The Rain.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Gonna have to go with Hole in my Life. Prepare to be wowed by a background in psychology creating the most therapeutic game since Power Kill!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I'll take Murder By Numbers.

Ten Thousand Names
Oct 25, 2007
Wow, I am totally going to end up squandering Deathwish.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Definitely grabbing Bombs Away

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Give me Truth Hits Everybody or Death!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
I ain't moving 'cause I know my rights
I've got no weapons, gonna get me some

Oh so down for Landlord.

I'm really, really tempted to make the resolution mechanic be an asymmetric adversarial resource management game, is that too absurd?

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 2, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I don't have any choice but to take Visions of the Night, but I may as well mention it.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Fallout -perfect. :getin:
Actually this is a relatively neutral title you can do a lot with, so it isn't actually that perfect. No, I'm not going to do a Fallout based game, especially as that violates contest rules. There are definitely worse titles, however - something like Red Light couldn't work for me if I was to incorporate my bonus challenge 0.

potatocubed posted:

Are you sure you're a first-time game designer because these ideas are gold.
I took part in the big long _world challenge way back when, making Marvel vs Capcom world(I would have totally done Touhou world but Gnome took the idea), but that's the closest to game design I've done in ages. Attempting to make a primarily setting neutral game will be a challenge.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Oh man, my choices (since one was taken) are a name so generic it's practically meaningless and one so esoteric I can't even think of a concept.

... Fine, I'll take Next to You. Let's do this one on easy mode.

Mirage fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 2, 2016

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
One World (Not Three) is already giving me some ideas what could be done with a title like that, unlike the other two.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Personally, I was kind of wishing for Every Breath You Take, because drat that would be an interesting system to design and see just how creepy you could make it.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I will be taking Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

edit:

Since no one else even got Man in a Suitcase gonna make two games.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hell yeah grabbing Behind My Camel

• Locked thread