Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Latest update: Furier Part 02: the Strap

Furi is a boss rush game by the Game Bakers, and it takes inspiration from a lot of things: Platinum Games' combat, Treasure's boss designs, Nier's weird hack-and-slash-with-bullet-hell. It was released in July 2016 for Playstation 4 and PC and has gotten mixed reception. People who are into hard boss-focused games loved it, but people outside of the niche were rarely won over by it. It's not a game for everyone. It also has a kickass sountrack, featuring names like Carpenter Brut, Danger, The Toxic Avenger, and so on. Oh, and the character designs are by Takashi Okazaki of Afro Samurai fame. Suffice to say, it oozes with style.

What kind of LP is this?

This is a subtitled LP. The episodes are short and there's a lot going on, so in order to not interfere with the OST, boss dialog and general action, I'm going with this approach.

How long is this game?

There are 10 fights, so 10 episodes, with each lasting 10-15 minutes on average.

What are you playing on?

The game is played on a Playstation 4.

How often will you update this LP?

No set schedule.

Will you be doing Furier (hard) mode?

Yes, although whether it will be subtitled, voice commentary, or stream VOD is still up in the air.

:siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren:

No spoilers for fights that haven't happened yet. Any fight that's been uploaded is fair game to dissect.

EPISODE LIST:

Furi Run:
Part 01: the Chain
Part 02: the Strap
Part 03: the Line
Part 04: the Scale
Part 05: the Hand
Part 06: the Song
Part 07: the Burst
Part 08: the Edge
Part 09: the Beat
Part 10: the Star

Furier Run:
Part 01: the Chain
Part 02: the Strap

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Post reserved.

Magnus Intactus
Oct 12, 2008

Each of you must approach him. If he snarls and growls, he considers you a chump.

So when you streamed this the character design really screamed out to me as something I've seen before. It totally makes sense that it's the guy behind the Afro Samurai character design.

A great first episode! I'm looking forward to the following bosses!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm on the fourth boss currently and am enjoying the game as long as I put it down when I start to get too frustrated.

For once I'm actually enjoying a hard game and feel accomplished when I finally beat a stage of a boss I've been slamming my head against. I think it helps a lot that the game does not have complicated mechanics and that parrying is not friggin impossible.

I love the charge sword attack, I use it pretty much at every opportunity during those red area of effect attacks, since dashing maintains the charge you can start charging, dodge behind the boss and then hit them once the attack finishes. It does more damage than the four hit combo and since I'm not that great at these fights, minimizing the amount of attacks I need to go through helps me a ton since I'm still not really consistent at parrying.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Very interesting, I can REALLY dig this style, but I don't know if I'm really sold on the gameplay. Either way it's great seeing it.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I love the charge sword attack, I use it pretty much at every opportunity during those red area of effect attacks, since dashing maintains the charge you can start charging, dodge behind the boss and then hit them once the attack finishes. It does more damage than the four hit combo and since I'm not that great at these fights, minimizing the amount of attacks I need to go through helps me a ton since I'm still not really consistent at parrying.

I was going to mention in the next episode that I don't use this as much as I should, but it's probably the safest and quickest strategy. I go more for parries since that seems to work for me. I'll probably abuse the charged slash more for Furier difficulty.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A game with only boss fights? That reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus and... can't really think of another game with only boss fights.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Warning Forever, Titan Souls... Punch-Out?

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Possibly the boss rush game most relevant to Furi is Alien Soldier. It has small sections between bosses with random enemies, but it's still considered a boss rush game. I say it's most relevant to Furi because Treasure (Alien Soldier dev) is part of the special thanks section of Furi's credits.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 02: the Strap

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hell yeah, I adore this game. I like how it always pushes the player to become better, the fact that hard mode doesn't change enemy health or the amount of damage the player gives or receives is still jaw-dropping good game design to me.

Magnus Intactus
Oct 12, 2008

Each of you must approach him. If he snarls and growls, he considers you a chump.

Holy poo poo, The Strap was a creepy loving boss! She actually got creepier as she freed herself from her restraints.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
You could also consider No More Heroes and its sequel to be part of the Boss Rush genre, since the regular enemies are mostly there in order to be cash piņatas and the huge focus of that series is on fighting increasingly more ridiculous assassins.

So far as this game looks, while I find the walking sections kind of stylish, I can see how they'd start to get tedious if you're on a second playthrough and you just want to get to the fights.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A woman shaped monster with a spotlight for a head? Reminds of another monster from the Evil Within DLC.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Blastinus posted:

So far as this game looks, while I find the walking sections kind of stylish, I can see how they'd start to get tedious if you're on a second playthrough and you just want to get to the fights.

Practice mode lets you play individual levels without the walking sections, and after you beat the game, you get a Speedrun mode which is only battles. It's only really annoying if you're going for the "secret" ending or Furier difficulty (like I did for this LP).

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The strap is a weird boss to lead with because she sort of skews things tonally: A lot of the bosses have a sort of Asura's Wrath/Lord of Light high tech mysticism to them but the Strap is easily the most outright surreal. Hell, I would even say that the bosses get more mundane as you go along.

I would also call the Strap the game's wake up call, but that goes to the next guy, yeesh.

e: Also I notice that you're not doing the (R-stick) charge during close quarters bits, I always like to get one in during a boss' getting up animation. Also not charging your dodges (I do hate that the game doesn't tell you about either, that and that you can dodge with the left trigger).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 18, 2016

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Was the light here head or was their something underneath I love how much this game leaves up to imagination so far.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

cokerpilot posted:

Was the light here head or was their something underneath I love how much this game leaves up to imagination so far.

You can see the back of her head sticking out of the laser, so it looks like it's just attached to her. Maybe she's like Cyclops or something.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Video, @ 4:22-ish posted:

This is her "taunt"

Oh no, she has a taunt, but that isn't it. That's actually something else entirely. Those four squares of light in the center ring of the arena, and those weird mechanisms on some of the cardinal pillars scattered throughout the rest, will force her to rush at them when stepped on/shot, and leave her vulnerable for several seconds. You can even use them to get the drop on her when she runs away instead of the other way around. Despite the several people I've seen playing this fight, I'm the only one who seems to have actually noticed that those elements and her being stunned are connected, and I really don't get why. The thing lights right up when triggered, and then she runs over to it as fast as possible.

Besides all that, though. I do really like The Strap as a fight. It shows you early on that the bosses are all gonna be very different from each other. I also like the way her methods change as she breaks free from her restraints.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Also not charging your dodges (I do hate that the game doesn't tell you about either

It does tell you that... in the How To Play choice in the menus. This is maybe the one game with a XBLIG-style "How To Play" option where it's actually important to read, so I understand that people missed it.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Oh no, she has a taunt, but that isn't it. That's actually something else entirely. Those four squares of light in the center ring of the arena, and those weird mechanisms on some of the cardinal pillars scattered throughout the rest, will force her to rush at them when stepped on/shot, and leave her vulnerable for several seconds. You can even use them to get the drop on her when she runs away instead of the other way around. Despite the several people I've seen playing this fight, I'm the only one who seems to have actually noticed that those elements and her being stunned are connected, and I really don't get why. The thing lights right up when triggered, and then she runs over to it as fast as possible.

Oh, thanks for that explanation. I just thought every enemy had a freebie idle animation (most of them being taunts), so figured that was hers.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

It does tell you that... in the How To Play choice in the menus. This is maybe the one game with a XBLIG-style "How To Play" option where it's actually important to read, so I understand that people missed it.

Yeah, I've known that you can do it, but I generally had no problem playing without it so I never got into the habit. I'm pretty sure Furier and Speedrun mode will require it when I record them. But for normal, thankfully, you don't need to understand all the intricate details. This game is generally as easy/hard as you are good at certain aspects of it. I'm not good at projectile dodging, so projectile-oriented bosses give me a hard time, but I'm good at parrying so certain bosses that rely on melee attacks aren't difficult.

The Normal run is already recorded (just need to edit the footage), but I'll show off dodge charging and melee blade charging off in Furier mode.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 03: the Line

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Didn't take long for them to ramp up the difficulty now, did it? That was almost Touhou-like at the end there. I can see why this guy would be a stumbling block for players, because jeez, that looked tense.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
This is my second favorite walking segment, in terms of music, visuals, story... everything. It'll be a while until my first favorite.

Blastinus posted:

Didn't take long for them to ramp up the difficulty now, did it? That was almost Touhou-like at the end there. I can see why this guy would be a stumbling block for players, because jeez, that looked tense.

It helps that all of the projectiles during the final phase can be destroyed by your own shots. In fact, charged shots will cut through several projectiles at a time, and erase in a higher area than normal shots. Nice for clearing a gap in the madness, even though it won't last long.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a fan of the first phase of the Line fight, it just takes way too long for what you have to do and it's not hard once you figure out how to easily dodge those fire waves. And it's not easy to speed up either because even if you try circling the mirrors to shoot the inside faster by not shooting all the drat things, the middle layer spins in the opposite direction.

Magnus Intactus
Oct 12, 2008

I ended up watching the walking part at the beginning of The Line fight twice, just because I absolutely love the Waveshaper track they used there (A Picture In Motion.)

And that would have been a fight I'd be stuck on for ages... I just can't process bullet hell areas well.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm not a fan of the first phase of the Line fight, it just takes way too long for what you have to do and it's not hard once you figure out how to easily dodge those fire waves. And it's not easy to speed up either because even if you try circling the mirrors to shoot the inside faster by not shooting all the drat things, the middle layer spins in the opposite direction.

The only explanation I have for it is that it's the first encounter of its kind, so maybe they really wanted to make sure you knew how to get through that kind of bullet hell before you beat it? But I can definitely see it being a stumbling block for speedruns.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Charged shots do more damage to the shields and leave less reflected bullets flying around, but factoring in the charge time, I'm not sure if it's any faster or not.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Magnus Intactus posted:

I ended up watching the walking part at the beginning of The Line fight twice, just because I absolutely love the Waveshaper track they used there (A Picture In Motion.)

And that would have been a fight I'd be stuck on for ages... I just can't process bullet hell areas well.

I hear you, it was hilarious how much more I stumbled on bullethell bosses like this one and had a much easier time with the more Devil May Cry bits. I feel that's a strength of the game though, unless you're some kind of gaming protege there's going to be aspects of the game that you're unfamiliar with.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 04: the Scale

There will likely be one more update tomorrow/the day after, and then I'll need a week as I move to another country.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
There's something about The Scale that really didn't click with me, watching the video. Maybe it's because sewer levels in general are really bad, but compared to The Line, this guy's design, battle theme, etc. left me a bit unimpressed.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I love the fact you're doing a Soundtrack LP of this game. It's probably the best soundtrack to a game I've played in the last decade for sure.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh hey, nice to see an LP of this game. I was going to do one but it's good that someone who can update in a timely fashion is covering this.

RealSovietBear posted:

Possibly the boss rush game most relevant to Furi is Alien Soldier. It has small sections between bosses with random enemies, but it's still considered a boss rush game. I say it's most relevant to Furi because Treasure (Alien Soldier dev) is part of the special thanks section of Furi's credits.

There's an interesting quote from one of the devs with regards to this:

"Emeric Thoa AMA posted:

Other than the one I wrote above, the boxing game IP from Nintendo "Super Punch Out!" is a strong reference. It's a boss fight game in my mind. With very simple controls yet a great depth (and awesome character design). Shootem up from the 90s or Treasure Co. were also a strong reference. Later on the dev, someone pointed me towards Alien Soldier, which I didn't know, but if I had it would have been a ref from the start for sure.

RealSovietBear posted:

The only explanation I have for it is that it's the first encounter of its kind, so maybe they really wanted to make sure you knew how to get through that kind of bullet hell before you beat it? But I can definitely see it being a stumbling block for speedruns.

In my myriad of times fighting The Line, I've had a few where I got through that first phase really quick, so I imagine it's possible to do it consistently. Probably part of why the top speedrun time on the official rankings (last time I checked) was around 32 minutes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The main thing that hosed me up with this fight is when the screen gets all woobly sometimes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Given the way the jailers are reacting to us (with the exception of The Strap, who just seems insane), we either did something bad to wind up in here, or everyone thinks we did.

We're totally the bad guy in this, aren't we.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Given the way the jailers are reacting to us (with the exception of The Strap, who just seems insane), we either did something bad to wind up in here, or everyone thinks we did.

We're totally the bad guy in this, aren't we.

I dunno, the Voice seems to think we're pretty cool. I'm sure he's a trustworthy fellow.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I purchased and then marathon beat this game over a weekend, and it was a glorious experience.

I still need to complete Furier because I haven't had time to get back into it but hoo boy. In terms of cool sequences, we're barely scratching the surface.

The next boss is kind of a big dull weak point in the progression, however.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

K Prime posted:

The next boss is kind of a big dull weak point in the progression, however.

I'd consider The Scale to be that. The next boss is great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, I thought the Scale was the low point of the game. From here on it just keeps getting better.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 05: the Hand

Like I mentioned before, I'll be moving countries this week, so expect the next update after Monday August 29. Until then, enjoy the first very melee-based fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
One thing that really speaks to the depth of this game is that for every time I watch these and thing "oh no, it would have been better to do x" there's another point in the fight where I think "you can do y?" It's really neat to watch multiple videos of the same fight because even with such a basic skillset very different playstyles and strategies begin to shine in different fights, or hell even for different attacks.

• Locked thread