Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Nill posted:

So how hosed is it that a Brazilian judge can apparently just say "nah, you don't look sufficiently harrowed by these events you say happened, give up those passports."

imo this is the most concerning thing so far. brazil is clearly peeved about their totally peaceful and harmonious country getting a black eye from this story and their response is to round up the victims and put the heat on them for "making us look bad"

but lol i'm sure athletes getting robbed at gunpoint and then arrested and accused of lying about it will make tourists flock to their fair city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

Ork of Fiction posted:

So a guy with a gun, who was posing as a cop, took all his money. = He vandalized a gas station and he bribed the security guard who caught him.

Sounds about right.

a guy in a uniform with a gun did take his money. If a security guard shook somebody down for 'damages' in the US ppl would flip their poo poo, but apparently this is being defended as reasonable because that's how they do it in Rio.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

Hate to break it to you, but if you're an American in a foriegn country, you're subject to their laws and customs, just like if someone from another country would come here.

Fair enough, but the IOC needs to add "Does your country allow armed proprietors to extract payment from customers for summarily assessed damages to the premises?" to the host application, and if the answer is yes that should disqualify that county from hosting. The US state dept should also issue a travel advisory against that country.

And lets look at the 'damages' the swimmers are accused of:

1) broken soap dispenser
2) damaged sign
3) damaged door
4) peed all over the place

Those damages are the default condition of most seedy bathrooms in the USA, so i'm assuming it's common in Brazil as well. The way things are set up in Brazil, anyone who uses a nasty restroom is in jeopardy of having a gun pointed at them until they pay up for the damage, or deal with the cops being called, in which case "fines" might be added to the "damages".

Also remember that this whole fiasco has been elevated to the level of an international incident, and that for Brazil it's no longer about finding out what actually happened, but to go into category 5 PR mode and save face at all costs. It's possible that the swimmers hosed up the restroom and deserve to be condemned, but it's also possible that Brazil is frantically looking for anything they can pin on the swimmers so Brazil can win the PR war, and are using the trashed condition of a typical dive restroom as 'proof' that the swimmers are reckless hooligans.

We'll probably never know what really happened because the investigation was never about that to begin with.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

jackyl posted:

if there was video of me breaking a gas station door and drunk pissing everywhere

where is this video? I've seen some video with their hands in the air, but I've seen nothing like what you described.

Elias_Maluco posted:

They were drunk and making trouble and broke the door and pissed outside the bathroom.

where is the evidence of this? once again i'm not saying it didn't happen, it's just that all the evidence so far has been "Brazil said so"

• Locked thread